OtakuBoards

Battle of the Bands pt. II

Jake of Bodom

Kamuro made the original one of these, but it's gone under. Since I thought it was awesome, so I'll start another one! What I'll do is post two bands that are at least [I]somewhat[/I] similar and you post which one you like better and why. Every so often I'll come in and post another two bands. I'll start with some pretty well-known bands here, and I'm seeing them both live tonight so why not. I know they're very different, but oh well:

[B]Killswitch Engage vs. As I Lay Dying[/B]

Yeah, I'll go with As I Lay Dying as well. I just got back from their show with Killswitch Engage. Killswitch's live show was better than AILD's, but I like their music more. And their vocalist is a really nice guy. He took the time to talk to me, which I thought was cool.

Killswitch Engage.

... to me, their music is more heavy. Their music seems alot more.. powerful.. more strong, you know? Their melodic-style in their music is awesome. You know, not too technical or over-the-top melodic, but just enough for me to really like.

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
I vote for Killswitch, because they sing meaningful songs , plus you cna headbang to them! Rock on, Baby! You should try Slipknot vs. Korn, they are much alike.

[SIZE=1]Yeah, I was sad when the the other one went down...

[B]Killswitch Engage[/B]

As much as I like both of these bands, if I had to choose one then it would be Killswitch. Sure, they have a lot of annoying fans and their popularity has increased immensely, but I still love them. Every album they put out is simply amazing, each song trumps the one before it and you can't help but listen to the music over and over again. I don't think I'd call them harder then As I Lay Dying, but I would call them better lol.[/SIZE]

Oh man... honestly, I know none of these bands... they all seem to be metal-related bands and I know nothing about Metal... Maybe next time wanna put up some Classic Rock bands? Like Rush VS Triumph or Aerosmith VS Trooper, somthing like that. I've never heard of any of those bands :S

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Ilium']Oh man... honestly, I know none of these bands... they all seem to be metal-related bands and I know nothing about Metal... Maybe next time wanna put up some Classic Rock bands? Like Rush VS Triumph or Aerosmith VS Trooper, somthing like that. I've never heard of any of those bands :S[/quote]
Sssh! You'll ruin the internet male = metalhead stereotype![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
I haven't ever heard of those two bands you just said, but Kamelot sounds cooler so I guess I'll go with that.

[QUOTE=Aiyisha][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
Sssh! You'll ruin the internet male = metalhead stereotype![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]you love it ;) lol

I'm not partial to either of these bands, since Power Metal was never really big with me. But if I had to choose one, it'd be [B]Sonata Arctica[/B]. Kamelot is alright, but it gets tedious. By the way, you might wanna try to go a little more mainstream. I'm not a fan of 'classic rock' like Ilium, but I doubt many people will know all the abstract metal bands lol.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Ilium']Oh man... honestly, I know none of these bands... they all seem to be metal-related bands and I know nothing about Metal... Maybe next time wanna put up some Classic Rock bands? Like Rush VS Triumph or Aerosmith VS Trooper, somthing like that. I've never heard of any of those bands :S[/quote]

a) I'm not going to change what I'm doing because [I]you've[/I] never heard of them

b) the next two bands were actually going to be classic rock bands, but you only gave it two VS's! I'm gonna wait for a few more responses then I'm gonna change it. Sit tight, you'll get your classics!

c) Maybe you should try finding both the bands, check out a few songs, and then contribute to the thread (plus you'd be fiding some great music! You might actually like one of these bands, and they probably sound nothing like what you think metal is... everyone has this wierd view of what they think it is - just give it a try :D )

And as for the battle, I choose Kamelot. They seem to be a little more diverse, and I like the singer's voice better. Sonata is amazing, but I just like Kamelot's overall sound better. Plus they have that epic tinge to them, which I like.

I'd download some of the songs (I have no shame >.>) but because of my internet speed it'd take me about 20-40 min to download an average sized song (Do. Not. Laugh. Or I shall cry) so it's not really a worthwile investment for me.

I was just saying that it looks like there's a Metal trend going on here, as I can tell your a Metal fan, so I just thought I'd throw out a few suggestions... Those were just off the top of my head, really, I've got a bunch of others that I could whip out.

As I Lie Dying, yeah man. They're one of my favorites. I'm listening to the beginning right now. F'ing A man....they got my vote all the way.

As for the other one, I'd have to pick Kamelot. I actually started listening to the band the first time because of the name and started to like them.

[font=trebuchet ms]I came to this thread at the right time I guess, I'm listening to "Kashmir" right now. It's actually the symphonic version from the cd Kashmir - Symphonic Led Zeppelin.

I've never really gotten into Black Sabbath, my parents wouldn't let me listen to them because they were banned from it too as kids. I didn't have much of an early start. I don't really like Ozzy so much after seeing how he is now in The Osbournes.

Thus, my vote is for [b]Led Zeppelin[/b].[/font]

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
Well, I don't like neither. Led Zeppelin's better though. What about Linkin park? Slipknot? Any thing besides these old metal bands we haven't really heard that much...

[b]Led Zeppelin[/b]
This band I think surpasses Black Sabbath just for the sheer fact that I found there musicianship and song writing much more impressive then Black Sabbath's music. I've found the tunes that Led Zeppelin produced are much more appealing to me then Black Sabbath's music (which there music is way more over played in my opinion), of course so is a lot of Led Zeppelin's but they were both incredibly popular bands, though Led Zeppelin just I think made much better music.

[SIZE=1]I don't really see Black Sabbath winning this one lol.

[B]Led Zeppelin[/B] is the better of these two in my opinion. Of course, no matter which I chose I couldn't discount the other, since they're both great bands that helped create the basis for some of todays best rock music. Both bands are pioneers of the art and deserve equal respect despite whichever you think is better.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Without question, [B]Led Zepplin [/B] takes this. Amazing band, great insturmentations, decent singer, without question one of the Gods of Rock. Truth is I've never really heard Black Sabbath, but from what I HAVE heard I dislike them. Ozzy always gave me the creeps anyway. Even though I love Led Zepplin, they aren't really my favourite band, but they [B]rock.[/B] Plus that Stairway to Heaven backwards thing is just creepy 0_o[/COLOR]

[quote name='ShonenSamuraiMugen']Well, I don't like neither. Led Zeppelin's better though. What about Linkin park? Slipknot? Any thing besides these old metal bands we haven't really heard that much...[/quote]

The reason I'm not doing Slipknot and/or Linkin Park is that I don't want to promote nu-metal or rapcore or whatever you want to call it. That's what we have MTV for. Yes, this is personal, but I hate the way they're giving Metal a bad name, so I don't want to use them here.

See, this is exactly the problem with nu-metal bands like Linkin Park and Slipknot: we [I]have[/I] heard Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath a lot. I'm sure you probably consider Slipknot to be metal (they're aren't), and if they [I]were[/I] metal (which they're not), then their roots would be the likes of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Zep and Sabbath created "heavy" music as we know it today.

I can see that Led Zeppelin was the crowd favorite here! Let's see how we do with some more contemporary artists - this time I'll go with prog-rock (or something like it...):

[B]Tool vs. Porcupine Tree[/B]

[SIZE=1]I choose [B]Tool[/B]. Although I'm not a huge fan of either band, I think Tool has more talent and adds more to the range of the progressive genre. Although I'd prefer them to Porcupine Tree, I don't believe either to be intensely amazing or anything.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Oh bugger this is a tough choice... Do I pick total crap absolute trash?

Guess I'll go with absolute Trash. The Backstreet Boys, though not really a band and not really musicians, are slightly better than Sync, for one reason. Though their new album is TERRIBLE, the songs are slightly better than the terrible "Ya my music sucks but look at my face!" "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!" songs that came before it.

Conclusion: If I had it my way both bands would be locked in a pit slowly filling up with salt water. Than I would cover them in minor cuts. AND WATCH THEM SUFFER. MUAHAHA. *caugh* anyway, both of these... circuses suck terribly. [/COLOR]