OtakuBoards

Battle of the Bands pt. II

Jake of Bodom

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
Wait a sec, dude. Slipknot is Rapcore heavy metal. LP is alternate metal. Rammstein is tachno/foreign metal. N'sync aint even rok or backstrreet boys. BB only plays instruments in music videos too.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][FONT=Times New Roman]Aww, man! I wish I had seen this thread earlier! I missed out on voting for some of my [i]favorite[/i] bands!

Really quick, because I'll just die if I can't vote for em:
[b]As I Lay Dying -[/b] I haven't really heard that much of Killswitch Engage but AILD's new album is AMAZING!
[b]Sonata Arctica -[/b] One of my ALL-TIME favorite bands. Kamelot's awesome and all, but I just gotta vote for the Arctica. Plus, Tony Kakko [URL=http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sonataarctica/silence.html#2]keeps it real![/URL]
[b]Led Zeppelin -[/b] Black Sabbath is great, but really, Zep is just so much more talented.
[b]Tool -[/b] A most phenomenal band. Plus, Porcupine Tree is a bit too Pink Floyd-y for my tastes.

Okay, back to current affairs. [b]Backstreet Boys vs. N'Sync.[/b]

I'd have to choose: [i]shooting myself in the mouth.[/i]

Seriously, Jake, what are you trying to pull? Keep it metal! Keep it [i]awesome.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']I definately pick the Backstreet Boys. One of them can actually play the guitar.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Shocking. Are you sure about that? Seems to me they only play instruments in the MVs... I hate MVs so much![/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, you'll be happy to know that I finally got around to download Children of Bodom. Frankly, it's not what I expected that's for sure. I quite liked the instrumentation (Though it'll never replace Rush for me) but my one complaint is with the voice; no offense or anything, but it reminds me of the man in my dreams who eats chickens hearts and craps out their souls! >.> Anyway, since it's the only one I've heard, I'm going wioth Children of Bodom. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][FONT=Times New Roman]Oh damn, yo. That is a TOUGH choice. I dunno whether to choose melodic death metal or blackened power metal. Crap.

In Flames writes riffs that are just so swish-able, whereas Children of Bodom has this inescapable, contagious, absolutely wild ENERGY about their music. This'll be tough...

I'm gonna have to go with Children of Bodom, just because newer In Flames is kinda bordering on Nü-Metal, wheras CoB has always been awesome.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm going with (yup, you guessed it) CHILDREN OF BODOM! My favorite band of all time. In Flames is incredible (at least their older stuff), but Bodom is constantly and always awesome to the point where it should be illegal because your head is in danger of exploding due to awesomeness overload. Follow the Reaper is a flawless album (except that the uber-melodic, super-epic section at 2:17 of Northern Comfort should have either lasted longer or happened again in that song). It's so awesome that it should be considered one of the greatest albums of all time. They have it all - intensity, skill, heaps and heaps of melody, unstoppable riffs, solos everywhere, and this undeniable wild flying energy.

Like I said, In Flames is an incredible band. As Rhym pointed out, they write the most swishable songs EVER (for those of you who don't know what swish is, it's short for the Swedish Swish (okay, so I invented this term... I think it works though!). The Swedish Swish is when you headbang by swishing your head from side to side in an upside-down arc (for future reference, the Full Swish is headbanging with your head rotating in a full circle, and the Jellyfish is when you headbang up-and-down so fast that if you have long, straight hair, it looks kind of like a jellyfish). Anyway, In Flames writes the most swishable riffs of all time, and their huge, soaring melodies just grab you by the throat and never let go. Sure, their two latest albums were a bit weak, but everything from Subterranean to Clayman was superb, and the albums Whoracle and Colony may even top some of Bodom's stuff, I still say Bodom comes out on top.

[quote name='Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed']Well, you'll be happy to know that I finally got around to download Children of Bodom. Frankly, it's not what I expected that's for sure. I quite liked the instrumentation (Though it'll never replace Rush for me) but my one complaint is with the voice; no offense or anything, but it reminds me of the man in my dreams who eats chickens hearts and craps out their souls! >.> Anyway, since it's the only one I've heard, I'm going wioth Children of Bodom. [/COLOR][/quote]

Just curious - which songs did you download? I could suggest a few killer tracks (although the vocals are still the Black Metal style on all the songs, sorry). If you haven't already, you MUST download (this is a requirement):

Kissing the Shadows (prolly my Bodom fave)
Trashed, Lost and Strung Out (my second Bodom fave)
Children of Decadence
Hate Me!
Needled 24/7
Sixpounder (there's a killer mid-tempo solo at about 2:13)
Chokehold (Cocked 'n' Loaded
Northern Comfort (Start this song at about 2:17... you'll want to cry, it's so beautiful)
Oops, I Did It Again ([B]Britney Spears cover. No, I'm not joking.[/B] Download it NOW.)

I have already known and loved in flames, but i haven't listened to the children of bodom until today (with the children of decadence this period is over :) ). I must admit i was surprised as i wasn't expecting something this good. Yet, i think it is too soon to switch the gears to CoB, so i say in flames..

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Hmmm... I don't know much about these two bands [i]musically,[/i] but I'd have to go with Megadeth, just because Metallica kinda aggravates me and plus, they're a bunch of jerks.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Black Sabbath. I think they're really what brought us to where we are now. They really hit the dark metal scene off and for that I love them.
I'm not saying Zeppelin is bad. I love all their songs. Sabbath and Zeppelin are almost equal in my book but darkness has consumed so much of the rock scene right now you've gotta give them the credit.

Edit:
Megadeth. both bands are good. Metallica I haven't heard much. I own 3 Megadeth Albums and I love them all. They've got a unique theme to their music and that's what makes them awesome. Metallica seemed to just sit there and make music. Megadeth did so much more with their tunes.

The next one you do should Cradle of Filth vs Dimmu Borgir or Rob Zombie vs Wednesday 13.

Metallica. Mainly because they are one of those favourite bands I tend to have that never, ever, fade out of my interest. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout?

I never get bored of them. I never get sick of them. And I love every, single song they've released.

I've loved Metallica ever since I can remember, and they're one of my all-time favourites, that go above everything else. Their music is awesome.

So that's my choice.. Metallica.

I'm going with Metallica here. Not the crappy new stuff... I'm talking Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets - the good albums. I just think they're a stronger band musically than Megadeth ever were.

[quote name='Box Hoy']The next one you do should Cradle of Filth vs Dimmu Borgir or Rob Zombie vs Wednesday 13.[/quote]

No and no. Mainly because a) Cradle of Filth vs. Dimmu Borgir would be too off (CoF isn't a Black Metal band, in case you were under that impression... I don't know why else you'd pit them against Dimmu Borgir). I also have a feeling most people here haven't heard the majority of Dimmu Borgir albums anyway. So it would become Death Cult Armageddon vs. Cradle of Filth's newer stuff, and that would be no fun.

And I'm not going to do Rob Zombie vs. Wednesday 13 mainly because they both suck (IMO).

Actually, you know what? Why not. Here's for Box Hoy (and because I'm just plain curious now - AND FOR THOSE OF YOU EDUCATED IN THE WAYS OF METAL - I REALIZE COF IS NOT A BLACK METAL BAND! Don't yell at me!):

[B]Cradle of Filth vs. Dimmu Borgir[/B]

[quote name='Jake of Bodom] [B']Cradle of Filth vs. Dimmu Borgir[/B][/quote]
Dimmu Borgir for numerous reasons well actually two. For All Tid and Stormblast. Two amazing black metal albums and actually Dimmu Borgir became very gothic influenced metal with black metal influences after Stormblast which really makes them Gothic with Black Metal Influences now and gothic bands are horrible with one exception Theatres Des Vampires. Dimmu Borgir are compared to Cradle of Filth all the time because of popularity and crapiness of both bands minus the two opus albums of Dimmu Borgir's original non-mainstream career which most fans after Stormblast choose to ignore even if they knew those two albums were in existence. They contained something they didn't like, which was really amazing talent, oh well. The closest thing Cradle of Filth ever was to anything decent, genre wise that is, was Death Metal on their demo tapes. I wonder now what would have happened if they stayed with Death Metal.

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Well, I hate to perpetuate the stereotype suggested by Amorphous and Jake, but here I go...

Jake's pretty much right there, that this would be DCA versus New COF, as I've only heard Dimmu's Death Cult Armaggedon and Filth's Nymphetamine. This is because I'm more into the power metal side of metal, especially when it's symphonic. And, for all those familiar with the two albums, they are CRAZY symphonic. But, to clarify, not power metal.

Comparing my favorite songs off of each, I'd have to go with Dimmu Borgir. While I do love "English Fire" off of Nymphetamine, I like "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" a HELL of a lot better. Have you ever played Warcraft 3 to that song? It's seriously like the most epic thing you can ever hope to experience.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=Cyan][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
I had to take a peak at both bands cus I have never ever heard of them. Thanks for providing the opprotunity, but with just the little bit I've sampled from both bands I am going to have to go with Cradle of Filth. Their style just appeals to me more.

Dimmu Borgir is just a little too, dang it cant think of what I want to say. Its a little to dark for me but I can see it growing on me as I become more involed to the type of music.

One day soon my opinion may change but Im going with what I feel now and Cradle of Filth has my vote. [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Amorphous, For All Tid and Stormblast are definately the definitive albums of Dimmu Borgir's career - and also the two that I just knew would never enter this contest (with the exception of you and maybe a few others). You know me, though - I'm not a fan of raw Black Metal, and therefore I'm not a fan of those albums. Not based on ignorance like most people, though - it's just a matter of taste.

Now as far as CoF goes, I like the new and old stuff pretty much equally... it's all decent, but that's all it ever is: decent. Dimmu Borgir, on the other hand, has some stuff that's just truly amazing. As far as pure Black Metal goes, For All Tid and Stormblast are just awesome. As far as the Symphonic stuff goes, Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia are purely amazing. I'm going with Dimmu Borgir here. Those three albums are near perfection Symphonic-style Black Metal as far as my taste is concerned.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Amorphous, For All Tid and Stormblast are definately the definitive albums of Dimmu Borgir's career - and also the two that I just knew would never enter this contest (with the exception of you and maybe a few others). You know me, though - I'm not a fan of raw Black Metal, and therefore I'm not a fan of those albums. Not based on ignorance like most people, though - it's just a matter of taste. [/quote] Well actually their music from that time period was pretty symphonic but in a different way and certainly nowhere near as raw as most any other black metal band. But I find there new stuff to wear out very quickly after Stormblast.

[font=trebuchet ms]Sadly, I never really got into Dimmu Borgir, a friend was really into them and he tried to get me into them and he sent me several songs I wasn't really interested in. Meanwhile, I had the wrong idea about Cradle of Filth until I actually heard Nymphetamine on Fuse a week ago. I love them, I downloaded some of their newer stuff (their older songs I've heard don't apeal to me) and I plan on buying Nymphetamine sometime soon. Hopefully that will quench my new obssession.

Obviously, my vote is for Cradle of Filth.[/font]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Finally, an update! Huzzah!

Man, you just keep picking the hard ones. Hmmm...

Well, I do like Judas Priest, but really, Iron Maiden could be Power Metal if you updated the drumming, and you all know how I feel about Power Metal. Plus there's the amazing guitar work and general awesomeness.

My vote's for [b]Iron Maiden.[/b][/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms]I feel really bad about this, but I really don't know if I've ever heard a Judas Priest song. I'm just getting into actual metal (as opposed to Hardcore) and I've been listening to newer bands. I [i]do[/i] know that I love Iron Maiden, having like four of their cd's. Thus, my vote is for Iron Maiden.[/font]

Ah, Rhym - Iron Maiden is, in fact, a Power Metal band. You don't need to update the drumming - they friggin' invented the genre. Judas Priest is absolutely amazing! What a band. Great vocals courtesy of Rob Halford and a select few other individuals (one of which is now the vocalist for Iced Earth!), and of course, powerful songs altogether. But alas, Iron Maiden gets my vote here. The duelling guitars, awesome solos, incredible melodies, and awesome album covers ( :animesmil ) will always have my heart. Powerslave is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I just love this band.

[font=Verdana][color=blue][b]Edit:[/b][/color][/font]
The outcome was as I expected. Alright, here's one consising of two bands that I don't care for. In fact, I absolutely [b]DESPISE[/b] the second band. But alas, they're both very popular, and they're sort of brother bands, so why not. I will make it clear again that I don't like either band, and I particularly HATE the second choice.

[b]My Chemical Romance vs. The Used[/b]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Double-posting is now allowed. Just use the edit button next time.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]