OtakuBoards

The 101 Rules of Nu-Metal

Jake of Bodom

This is absolutely HILARIOUS! I came across this and couldn't help but share it with everyone. Some of you will find it funny, others will find it offensive. You be the judge.

It's a list of the 101 rules to being in a nu-metal band (and we all know how I feel about this :D ). I've included a link [URL=http://www.entertainment.inuk.com/music/numetalguide.html]HERE[/URL] to the site in case you want to see all the other funny nu-metal stuff they have. Oh, and if you want another thing to bust your gut laughing over, check out this band called Side Project! They have a music video that pokes fun at nu-metal to no end! Everyone from Limp Bizkit to Coal Chamber gets caught in the mix. Click [URL=http://www.newprojectonline.com/downloads/princesssmall.wmv]HERE[/URL] for the video! To see the band's website, there's a link at the bottom of the Nu-Metal Guide site. You can't miss it.

Just post a reply! I want to see what everyone thinks.

[QUOTE=The Nu-Metal Guide]
1. When asked who your musical influences are, say Black Sabbath -- always Black Sabbath.
2. Make sure you don't sound like Black Sabbath at all even though you said that they're your musical influences.
3. Make fun of popular music especially Britney Spears and any boyband. This is non-negotiable.
4. When conducting interviews always say the words "@#%$", "***", and "@#%$".
5. Accept interviews only from the following music magazines: Metal Edge, Revolver, Alternative Press, Hit Parader, Guitar World, Kerrang! and Rolling Stone.
6. Pay them $50 to mention the word "metal" in correlation with your music, in every single interview.
7. Add another $50 if they are able to invent a new genre dedicated solely to your band -- ie. Death Metal Disco (Static X), Melodic-core (Thursday), Christian Rap Metal (POD).
8. Make sure that at least one of your band members have an existing side project, or at least planning to start one.
9. Ask your mom to go to the nearest "Ross" beauty shop to buy six boxes of Lander hair gel.
10. Use the word "gay" when referring to anything you don't like.
11. No guitar solos.
12. Your drumming techniques must consist of "bass-snare, bass-snare" drumming only.
13. In order for your bassist to win a "Best Bass Player Award", make sure that they...
14. ...are female or...
15. ...use the "slap and pop" playing style.
16. Jump in the air while playing your guitar, and while in mid-air place the guitar on your side.
17. During concerts, ask your audience to sing along...
18. ...jump up and down...
19. ...put their hands in the air...
20. ...flash their middle-fingers...
21. ...and be careful not to hurt each other.
22. In the liner notes of your album, dedicate it to your parents, and to more than 15 different nu-metal bands with at least 4 bands which you borrowed your sound from.
23. Your second album must be weaker than the first one.
24. Make sure that at least one band member...
25. ...has been previously arrested...
26. ...drinks beer...
27. ...or smokes marijuana.
28. During interviews deny any form of drug-use in your band.
29. Say you hate Limp Bizkit, then contradict your statement by sticking up for bands like Taproot, Drowning Pool, and Primer 55.
30. When describing bands which you think are good, end every statement with "kicks ***".
31. When describing bands you hate, end every statement with either "sucks dick", or "@#%$ sucks ***".
32. Pretend that you've been abused as a child and when no one believes you, hold...
32. ...your depressing song lyrics as evidence, and if that doesn't work...
33. ...donate 3% of your earnings to anti-child abuse foundations.
34. Your record label must be either one of the following (and there subsidiaries): Sony, Interscope, Warner, Geffen, Virgin, Roadrunner, and Island/Def Jam.
35. Wear baseball caps, shades, wallet-chains, or any other fancy-schmancy fashion accessory EVERYTIME.
36. Your pants must be 3 times larger than your original waist length.
37. Say "shaznit".
38. Say "tight as @#%$" whenever possible.
39. Pretend that you hate MTV, and say that you detest the playing of your videos without your consent -- but deep down inside you really like the way they promote your music.
40. When meeting up with Kurt Loder and Carson Daly, be sure to meet up with Fred Durst to ask for pointers.
41. Always give credit to Korn and say they brought back "metal" from the dead.
42. Make sure you have at least one female member.
43. Be at every single "Ozzfest" tour.
44. Your t-shirts must be plain black with your logo in front and a teen-angst quote in the back.
45. Pretend that you design your own website.
46. Get Ross Robinson, GGGarth, or Brendan O' Brien to produce your record.
47. Always make sure that you delay your album release. If it's scheduled for June 5, move it to July 7. Do this at least twice per album.
48. Ask guest rappers or any member from another nu-metal band to participate on your album.
49. Always whine.
50. Close your eyes when singing to show how "depressed" you are -- ie. Staind
51. Body piercings are a must.
52. Make sure that you have at least one band member that's bald...
53. ...or have a goatee.
54. Pretend that you hate the world.
55. During live shows, make sure that you dive to the crowd and ask them to return you back.
56. Your pants must be low-waist, and must show your boxers underneath when you lift your shirt.
57. Your drummer must be topless during live concerts.
58. Bite the microphone when singing.
59. Swing the microphone stand while headbanging in unison.
60. Always suck up to the crowd during a live performance -- ie. "its a good day to be here in Los-@#%$-Angeles!"
61. Insert the word "@#%$" in the middle of two words -- ie. "I like coco-@#%$-nut"
62. Zildijan must be your official cymbals.
63. Your guitars must be Ibanez or Fender. Accept no substitutes.
64. Always use seven-string guitars.
65. The more stomp boxes and pedals you have, the bigger the chances of you winning a "Best Guitar Player" award. So get to it!
66. Wear facepaints or masks, and when someone labels you a Slipknot rip-off say that you existed as early as 1977.
67. When someone asks how your next album is going to turn out, say that its going to be the "heavy-@#%$-iest album of all @#%$ time".
68. Read #67 but add more of the word "@#%$" as much as possible for emphasis.
69. Make sure that when it comes out, it doesn't sound as heavy as you said it would be.
70. Your song lyrics must have the word "@#%$" on at least 3 songs. This rule only applies to pretentious "tough-as-nails" bands.
71. Pick fights with random bands to show how "bad-***" you are.
72. If you intend to copy someone else's sound -- don't use any form of profanity whatsoever when writing song lyrics, so the attention of the critiques will be focused on the lyrical content instead of your music. For more information, ask Linkin Park because they are considered as the "masters" of this art.
73. When kids start calling your band "sell-outs", reply that if they were on your position they'd do the same thing as well.
74. When kids start calling you a copycat, say that the band you're being compared to is one of your musical influences or....
75. ...its just a coincidence.
76. Make fun of gay people at all times. This is a perfect way to hide the fact that you're a closet gay.
77. When your parents tells you to go to your room -- go to your room.
78. You must have a studio album out every year. If you can't pull a studio album in just a year, an album with demos and remixes of old songs will do.
79. Make sure that you get into a scuffle with security on every single concert you partake in to cause a "scene".
80. Wash your sneakers only 4 times a year.
81. Wear clothes from a particular clothing company -- and soon they will ask you to endorse their wardrobe. Perfect choices are Adidas and Puma.
82. Release a video that contains nothing but backstage footage of your band making ***** out of themselves.
83. During live shows say that you're about to perform a song they already know. Utter the first word of the song title then ask the fans to complete the name of the song by pointing the mic towards them. Keep on doing it until they scream the title crystal clear, or if you've wasted 5 minutes just getting them to complete the task.
84. Your fanbase must comprise of 90% morons that have usernames on the internet patterned after your band (ie. Mudvayne fans - DeathBloomsDig99) and the last 10% with smart guys that use original names.
85. Your band name must be a mispelling of an original word.
86. When parents start blaming your band for having songs that incite violence, turn the blame back on them by saying "you never spent time enough with your kids".
87. When someone points out the similarities of your music with another band which rose to popularity just recently, pretend that you've never heard of them before.
88. Cancel at least 5 of the tour dates you intend to play in the near future.
89. Claim that the posturings of anger and depression in your songs are genuine.
90. Insist that your band is "metal" at all times.
91. Best Buy and Hot Topic must be your core album distributors.
92. Say that you're going to commit suicide whenever no one pays attention to you.
93. Your idea of being unique is donning black and white facepaint and acting like a depressed troll in your bedroom.
94. Pretend that you like Kittie's music but in reality you just want to score on at least one member.
95. Say that rule #94 is a lie! Then stomp your foot on the ground repeatedly while screaming "that's not true! that's not true!" over and over again.
96. Your first radio single must have clean vocals or at least melodic riffing.
97. Waste your time writing a song dedicated to taking potshots at the critiques and the people that make fun of your otherwise STUPID music.
98. If you are a new band, cover an old 80s song and make it as catchy as you can. Ship this song as your first radio single -- instant success!
99. Participate in as many compilation albums as you can.
100. Strictly no guitar solos.
101. You are offended personally by every single rule written above.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms]According to those rules, everything from Gwen Stefani to Between the Buried and Me could be considered Nu-Metal.

Aside from that, I was reminded of several bands that I wouldn't even consider Nu-Metal... several times!

Practically every band asks the crowd at one point to sing along during a show... unless they're [URL=http://myspace.com/thelastregard]The Last Regard[/URL]. Don't even ask about that one, though.

The list does do its job though. It's funny, and it does work for every Nu-Metal band I can think of.[/font]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]The whole thing could apply to just about any band (though it seems to target KoRn in particular, the child abuse one was a low blow). I've seen AC/DC asked the crowd what song to play, and plenty of bands thank their parents in their albums linear notes. It's stupid, if you ask me, heh.

Also - I don't understand why people hate nu-metal so much. Metal + hip hop influence is basically the core of it. There's been a lot of bad bands in the (sub)genre that have become famous, sure, but it doesn't mean the whole genre is a right off, geez. All this unrepetent hate for it just seems stupid, especially when you metalheads get into the whole 'IT'S NOT EVEN METAL >=O' argument. If it isn't metal [b]what is it[/b]? Why does it have metal in the name? Why do most of these bands cite metal bands of the 80s as influences in the sound?

It's just stupid, and one of the (many) things that pisses me off about genre labelling. People get all riled up over the difference between metal and nu metal, but to a normal person the difference would probably be as extensive as a more hip hop inspired structure, or a different singing style.

Oh, but that's right, metalheads like to think themselves above the masses. Silly me, how could I forget. :rolleyes:[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='René][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Oh, but that's right, metalheads like to think themselves above the masses. Silly me, how could I forget. :rolleyes:[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[SIZE=1]Only cause we're better *shrugs* lol

Personally I don't like nu-metal, I'm not saying I "love the list," but I'm really not a fan of rock and hip hop combinations. I don't like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn, etc. Sure, I can tolerate their music, but I don't like it.

Half the bands that were made fun of are basically excluded from the list due to number 42 (make sure you have at least one female member). The majority of bands that were mentioned, or were implied, lack a female member. I think it would've been better if they took off about 50 from the list, since about that many didn't make sense or had nothing to do with nu-metal.

As much as I don't like nu-metal, it feels cheap poking fun at them cause I guarantee there's a list out there busting on metal bands and those that follow. Just as many stupid stereotypical things can be said about metal bands, lots worse actually lol.

And how old is this list? Referring to Carson Daly as an MTV interveiwer? lol[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=René][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]The whole thing could apply to just about any band (though it seems to target KoRn in particular, the child abuse one was a low blow). I've seen AC/DC asked the crowd what song to play, and plenty of bands thank their parents in their albums linear notes. It's stupid, if you ask me, heh.

Also - I don't understand why people hate nu-metal so much. Metal + hip hop influence is basically the core of it. There's been a lot of bad bands in the (sub)genre that have become famous, sure, but it doesn't mean the whole genre is a right off, geez. All this unrepetent hate for it just seems stupid, especially when you metalheads get into the whole 'IT'S NOT EVEN METAL >=O' argument. If it isn't metal [b]what is it[/b]? Why does it have metal in the name? Why do most of these bands cite metal bands of the 80s as influences in the sound?

It's just stupid, and one of the (many) things that pisses me off about genre labelling. People get all riled up over the difference between metal and nu metal, but to a normal person the difference would probably be as extensive as a more hip hop inspired structure, or a different singing style.

Oh, but that's right, metalheads like to think themselves above the masses. Silly me, how could I forget. :rolleyes:[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that, before I start here, this is all coming from someone who enjoys some nü-metal every once in a while. I don't mind some Slipknot or Disturbed every once in a while. This isn't just a bunch of uneducated, biased, closed-minded crap.

I'll tell you [I]exactly[/I] what it is. It's a combination of Grunge, Alt. Rock and Hip-Hop. There is no Metal involved. This is exactly the problem - it [I]isn't[/I] "Metal + Hip-Hop". There is nothing Metal about nü-metal. And no, it's not a sub-genre of Metal.

[B]The reason the word "metal" is in the name is an interesting one. The Term "Nü-Metal" was actually originally an insult used by the Metal community for that type of music. Notice the misspelling of the word "new" (KoRn, Limp Bizkit, etc. are also mispellings). The reason it's "nü" is because it was considered to be the "new" fad that kids were being fed at the time. The reason the word "metal" is included is because they were referring to the way people were trying to portray them as metal bands when, in fact, they weren't. Unfortunately, the name that was intended as an insult stuck, and that's why nü-metal is the term used for the genre now. [/B]

The reason it isn't metal has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they get a lot of media attention (Metallica is a metal band, and they get[I]plenty[/I] of media attention). It has to do with the music itself. Korn, for example, are the leaders of the entire genre, and guess what? The band themselves publicly [I]want[/I] to be completely dissacociated with Metal. They pretty much pioneered nü-metal, and they themselves claim it isn't Metal.

And no, we (metalheads) don't consider ourselves to be "above the masses", as you presumptiously claim. We are every bit respectful of other music as any other music fan out there. The only reason we scrutinize nü-metal is because it is giving Metal a bad name. That's all.

And the reason many nü-metal bands site 80's metal bands as "influences" is probably for many reasons, [I]none[/I] of which have to do with the actual music. If you listen to Coal Chamber or Ill Niño, there is absolutely NO semblance of 80's metal in their music. No influence at all.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
The reason it isn't metal has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they get a lot of media attention (Metallica is a metal band, and they get[I]plenty[/I] of media attention). It has to do with the music itself. Korn, for example, are the leaders of the entire genre, and guess what? The band themselves publicly [I]want[/I] to be completely dissacociated with Metal. They pretty much pioneered nü-metal, and they themselves claim it isn't Metal.[/QUOTE]

To add another band to this list of who want to be completely dissacociated with metal is Slipknot. For god sakes it even says it right on their front page that they are not metal. =/

Anyways, I've seen the list about a billion times, the one "101 Rules for Black Metal" is much more hiliarious.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Jake of Bodom][B']The reason the word "metal" is in the name is an interesting one. The Term "Nü-Metal" was actually originally an insult used by the Metal community for that type of music. Notice the misspelling of the word "new" (KoRn, Limp Bizkit, etc. are also mispellings). The reason it's "nü" is because it was considered to be the "new" fad that kids were being fed at the time. The reason the word "metal" is included is because they were referring to the way people were trying to portray them as metal bands when, in fact, they weren't. Unfortunately, the name that was intended as an insult stuck, and that's why nü-metal is the term used for the genre now. [/B][/quote]
So what you're saying is, it's the metal communities fault that nu metal has stuck as a term for music that sounds somewhat similar to metal? Way back in the 90s metalheads labeled this music as nu metal as a joke, and now they can't escape it, and get ****** when people presume nu metal is a subgenre of metal? [i]They insisted on calling it nu [b]metal[/b]. It's the metal communities fault people assume it is metal music.[/i]

If they'd reallywanted to get rid of the image of the emerging hip hop influenced rock being metal, they should've taken a more mature path to it. Calling it nu [b]metal[/b] only made the problem worse, and today people like you are having to defend yourself at every turn.

Smooth. No really.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=René][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
So what you're saying is, it's the metal communities fault that nu metal has stuck as a term for music that sounds somewhat similar to metal? Way back in the 90s metalheads labeled this music as nu metal as a joke, and now they can't escape it, and get ****** when people presume nu metal is a subgenre of metal? [i]They insisted on calling it nu [b]metal[/b]. It's the metal communities fault people assume it is metal music.[/i]

If they'd reallywanted to get rid of the image of the emerging hip hop influenced rock being metal, they should've taken a more mature path to it. Calling it nu [b]metal[/b] only made the problem worse, and today people like you are having to defend yourself at every turn.

Smooth. No really.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

So then why are you taking this in a rather almost insulted way? (At least your reponse seems to emminate with being insulted). It's not like all we 'metalheads' now had anything to do with the way this started then and turned out. You know what we are trying to rectify a mistake on which others made. It's hard when all we get is insults and flames with people telling us we are completely wrong. It is not our fault that it turned out this way. For that matter it was really just the main population of metal heads that took to this saying back when. But the main population of metal heads are just like every other stereotype, they are not very intelligence.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Amorphous']So then why are you taking this in a rather almost insulted way? (At least your reponse seems to emminate with being insulted). It's not like all we 'metalheads' now had anything to do with the way this started then and turned out. You know what we are trying to rectify a mistake on which others made. It's hard when all we get is insults and flames with people telling us we are completely wrong. It is not our fault that it turned out this way. For that matter it was really just the main population of metal heads that took to this saying back when. But the main population of metal heads are just like every other stereotype, they are not very intelligence.[/quote]
I'm more insulted at the fact that the metal community themselves created this problem, and actively ***** about it today as if it was the media's fault. I'm not insulted at any of you, reading enough pages of endless debate have shown me you're all for the distinction being extremely clear. I'm just kind of disgusted at the actions metalheads before you took to create this problem today.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm more insulted at the fact that the metal community themselves created this problem, and actively ***** about it today as if it was the media's fault. I'm not insulted at any of you, reading enough pages of endless debate have shown me you're all for the distinction being extremely clear. I'm just kind of disgusted at the actions metalheads before you took to create this problem today.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Actually, it was already being called metal when the term (nü-metal) came to a head in the underground Metal community. We didn't create the problem of it being called Metal, but neither did the media, as you claim we believe. It wasn't the media (it is [I]now[/I], but it wasn't then) - it was the ignorant mallcore crowd who decided it was metal because it was loud and angry. I give props to Korn (who's music I actually enjoy, by the way) for knowing they weren't a Metal band and putting out the effort to publically distance themselves from the scene entirely. Unfortunately, some bands and many fans didn't listen, and many nü-metal bands starting calling themselves Metal (i.e. Limp Bizkit referring to themselves as a Hip-Hop/Thrash hybrid. There is [I]nothing[/I] Thrash - or Metal at [I]all[/I] for that matter - about Limp Bizkit). The media has since latched onto this, labelling bands like Slipknot, Mudvayne, and Disturbed as Metal bands. The point is this: nü-metal is just fine, but we (the Metal community) don't want it associated with our beloved music. There's a totally different ethos behind the styles. They're completely seperate worlds, so to speak. I get asked what type of music I listen to all the time, and of course I respond with "Metal" - and without fail, nearly every time, they reply with "you must listen to..." and then name a nü-metal band. It's like if you listened to the Blues, and every time you said that you listen to the Blues, the person you were talking to responded with "oh, so like, 50 Cent and Jay-Z and stuff like that?"

I'm sure this whole thing will die out sometime soon. We've survived Glam, we've survived Grunge - we'll sure as hell survive nü-metal.

[quote name='villevalolover][font=System][size=1]:animestun confusing.[/size'][/font][/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]One word posts are considered spam. Please make sure you add at least a little content to your posts from now on. If you didn't know this, maybe you should take a look at the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]Rules[/url] and [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?"]FAQ[/url] to get a better understanding of what is expected from your posts. Thanks.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][b]Edit:[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]I deleted the post quoted above.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
NuMetal itself has turned into a serious genre, whether or not it was called out as a "joke". The only people who believe NuMetal is giving Metal a bad name, are those who can't stand to bear the fact that another genre is gaining popularity and recognition faster and more securely than the genre they love themselves.

Face it. NuMetal isn't going to die out, or fade out. There are many new bands coming through in this type of music. Mocking and putting down NuMetal isn't going to weaken the stance of the genre, and isn't going to fix anything. If anything, it'll make the fan-base and stance of the whole side of NuMetal alot more stronger than before.

NuMetal doesn't give Metal a bad name.

The only reason this whole mixing up genres calling thing is happening with this type of music, is because Rock, Metal, and NuMetal all have the same, basic instruments. They have the same, basic sound. You can't call Rap, RnB, and you can't call RnB, Pop. Simply because, there are big, [i]big[/i], differences in the music itself. Rock, Metal, and NuMetal all have guitars and drums. Keyboards and the like don't really play that big a role in the calling it what you want side of things.

Honest to God, I can't see a [i]damn [/i]difference in Metal and NuMetal, except the damn lyrics. The music may sound different, but what's that got to do with anything about the genre? Just because a band has a different note to their guitar riffs, does that make them a NuMetal band? Just because a band doesn't take much into guitar solos, does that make them a NuMetal band? Or because a band has guitar solos all over the place and everywhere there's fresh air, does that make them Metal?

As long as the fan-base is there, NuMetal will be there. It's no different from anything else. Without fans, Metal wouldn't exist.

NuMetal has the fans, it has the type of music people want.., it's going to stay.

[QUOTE=Fall]NuMetal itself has turned into a serious genre, whether or not it was called out as a "joke". The only people who believe NuMetal is giving Metal a bad name, are those who can't stand to bear the fact that another genre is gaining popularity and recognition faster and more securely than the genre they love themselves.

Face it. NuMetal isn't going to die out, or fade out. There are many new bands coming through in this type of music. Mocking and putting down NuMetal isn't going to weaken the stance of the genre, and isn't going to fix anything. If anything, it'll make the fan-base and stance of the whole side of NuMetal alot more stronger than before.

NuMetal doesn't give Metal a bad name.

The only reason this whole mixing up genres calling thing is happening with this type of music, is because Rock, Metal, and NuMetal all have the same, basic instruments. They have the same, basic sound. You can't call Rap, RnB, and you can't call RnB, Pop. Simply because, there are big, [i]big[/i], differences in the music itself. Rock, Metal, and NuMetal all have guitars and drums. Keyboards and the like don't really play that big a role in the calling it what you want side of things.

Honest to God, I can't see a [i]damn [/i]difference in Metal and NuMetal, except the damn lyrics. The music may sound different, but what's that got to do with anything about the genre? Just because a band has a different note to their guitar riffs, does that make them a NuMetal band? Just because a band doesn't take much into guitar solos, does that make them a NuMetal band? Or because a band has guitar solos all over the place and everywhere there's fresh air, does that make them Metal?

As long as the fan-base is there, NuMetal will be there. It's no different from anything else. Without fans, Metal wouldn't exist.

NuMetal has the fans, it has the type of music people want.., it's going to stay.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, Fall, there's a list like this for many types of Metal as well (I'm actually going to start a thread using the Black Metal one as well... it's quite hilarious :D ).

And I can see why you wouldn't notice that Nu-Metal is giving Metal a bad name, and that's because you listen to Nu-Metal and not Metal. I'm not even going to try to explain this again.

And yes, Nu-Metal gained popularity and recognition faster and more securely than Metal. No, this does not piss us (metalheads) off. At all. In fact, I'm glad true Metal is where it is as far as popularity... I'd hate to see what the general public would do to it if it ever hit the mainstream... *shudder*

And Metal isn't just about guitar solos. Sure that's a part of it, but whatever. Point is, you can [I]consider[/I] Nu-Metal to be whatever you want. Say it's Metal. I don't care. Point is, no matter what you think, no matter what you [I]consider[/I] it to be, it's not Metal, never was, and never will be.

Here's a paraphrased quote from a MetalCrypt.com editorial regarding Nu-Metal:

[quote name='www.metalcrypt.com']Just keep this in mind: IT'S NOT METAL. I don't care if YOU "consider it metal", it's not. It lacks the most basic elements of metal. Noisy and heavy guitars don't make music Metal. Note that this text does not aim at providing proof that nu-metal bands are not Metal: it's hard to explain this to people who wouldn't know Metal if it hit them right in the face, and I just don't feel like wasting any more of my time. For this I suggest you check the Metal-Rules.com FAQ, which offers a somewhat detailed analysis.[/quote]

Go ahead, call Limp Bizkit metal. I don't care. But when you call a band like that Metal, it [I]does[/I] give Metal a bad name. An outsider might think that's actually what it sounds like, and as far as I'm concerned, that's very bad. But oh well.

Really in the end when I try to tell someone that Nu-Metal is otherwise I give them one chance and if they don't understand that it isn't they I really can't change their mind. But I can only be so sympathetic to the person sometimes until I become a little aggrivated. Sometimes I just let it go and sometimes it just bugs me enough to argue otherwise when someone says that Nu-Metal is Metal.

Anyways the 101 Rules of Power Metal or Black Metal would be a great next topic.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']:laugh: That's because Black Metallers are can be the most pretentious and whiny group of music listeners EVER.[/quote]

That and those death metal heads who listen to Cannibal Corpse! And only Cannibal Corpse. if there's no Cannibal Corpse than you can just forget the whole program.

Slipknot, I can deal with. They're not aimed at looking like hip hop dudes. People always judge by the sound. If anybody would just sit their ***** down and read the lyrics they'd realize that not only are these guys really dedicated to being creepy but that they really don't like hip hop.
KoRn, I could care less about. They're music is alright. It's kind of formed a weird fan cult of the "dyed blue goatee type people".

I do admit though, I hate Linkin Park with a passion and hope they recieve a fiery death from our "real" metal sound.

Very few people know that metal evolved from blues. So take Nu Metal and you'll prolly find the same thing.

As long as we're not putting Rob Zombie or Murderdolls in the Nu Metal genre I'm fine. They'll always remain in the glam rock/metal genre for me.

[quote name='Box Hoy']Very few people know that metal evolved from blues. So take Nu Metal and you'll prolly find the same thing.[/quote]

Actually, all rock, be it metal or otherwise is derivitive of blues. Not to say that was a dumb comment or anything... It's just a comment.

Another little known fact, however, is that Metal draws from numerous Classical influences as well. Two composers that come to mind are Bach and Paganini.

In any case, I don't see what the big issue is here.

I, being an avid fan of *gasp* both NuMetal (pardon umlaut omission) and True Metal, am seeing a very sad rhetoric here.

Rene (pardon accent omission), the mere fact that you are trying to say that NuMetal (puo) is True Metal is proof that these rules have some sway. NuMetal (puo) and True Metal are just different. 'Nuff said. This is kind of like comparing some Pop-Punk band like Green Day to Lamb of God. Or trying to say that Ray Charles was really trying to write Rap music. If you don't get my point yet, It's like comparing two bands that are very different and trying to say that one band is the other band. In short, this doesn't work. (Unless we're talking Pop-Punk)

However, I do disagree slightly with some of these rules. I will admit that many NuMetal (puo) bands sound eerily similar. But here's something - Many of the NuMetal (puo) band that I listen to vary quite a bit. American Head Charge (unfortunately, they sound a lot like the bastard child of Passenger and Lamb of God) sounds fairly different than Demon Hunter.

I like Korn, which, as Jake of Bodom has pointed out numerous times in RL, is not that good of a band. I second that motion, and would go as far as to say they suck so bad that it really hurts sometimes. But, I still like a couple of their songs. They give me stuff that Children of Bodom and Tool don't. Even if it's kind of whiny and smells of a used diaper at times, it's still a band I like to listen to.

Sure, you may think it's cool to think your band is the best. (It may even be true if you listen to Tool. I am very avid about this point. Call me a callous, pretentious b@stard, if you like. I still love my Tool!). But sometimes you have to consider that the folk from the Norselands are just a little (whole flippin' lot) better than our american bands.

In any case, Metal and NuMetal (puo) are very different, yet equally necessary sides on two very similar looking coins. And yes, rene (pao), calling NuMetal (puo) Metal does not help anything. It just causes arguments and flame wars.

BUT...

LET METALHEADS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Peace.

0ber0n, I never actually said that Korn wasn't a good band... I'm just not totally partial to their stuff. I never say bands literally "suck", because all bands are actually putting together music, and there is something in all of it for someone (unless you're the Deftones. Then you suck :laugh: j/k).

And Metal isn't Rock, as you implied. I've told you this a thousand times! Jeez, 0ber! When will you listen to me?

Good point about the Classical influence on Metal (namely Bach and Paganini as you stated). That's something HUGE about Metal that numetal lacks.

And I'm sorry my friend, but there's NOTHING Lamb of God-ish about American Head Charge. And Passenger kicks more *** than EVERY other numetal band out there, but that's probably because they're founded and fronted by Anders Friden of In Flames. In fact if you're into numetal or Hard Rock or anything rockin' for that matter, you really should check out Passenger. They're totally awesome. Listen to the song Carnival Diaries, and if you like it, check out In Reverse, and if you like [I]that[/I] check out Circus (it's awesome when it kicks in). Totally kick@ss songs. Passenger is one of the only numetal bands I truly condone.

I must wrap this up in the words of 3 Inches of Blood:

"Enemies of Metal, your death is our reward! Triumphant victory as you bring the Steel to life!"

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='0ber0n the Neko']Rene (pardon accent omission), the mere fact that you are trying to say that NuMetal (puo) is True Metal is proof that these rules have some sway. NuMetal (puo) and True Metal are just different. 'Nuff said. This is kind of like comparing some Pop-Punk band like Green Day to Lamb of God. Or trying to say that Ray Charles was really trying to write Rap music. If you don't get my point yet, It's like comparing two bands that are very different and trying to say that one band is the other band. In short, this doesn't work. (Unless we're talking Pop-Punk)[/quote]
I didn't say that at all, geez.

What I said was (listen closely), this problem with misrepresentation with nü-metal is the [b]metal communities fault[/b], as they coined the term and used it initially. The media was closely monitoring the metal community around the time nü-metal emerged, to get a name for this new variation (or so they thought), and when they heard 'nü-metal' they ran with it.

I suppose, if what Jake said about it being from grunge to begin with, you should call it grungecore or something similar (-core means heavy, no?). It would've made a hell of a lot more sense. But whatever. Nü-metal is a genre now, yo, and you should learn to live with it (it's probably better for the metal community as a whole, in fact, as many people use it as a 'gateway genre' into your 'true metal').[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

(it's probably better for the metal community as a whole, in fact, as many people use it as a 'gateway genre' into your 'true metal').[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well, ya got us there. Nu-Metal was my gateway genre into True Metal... I will admit that. It still doesn't make it metal. And it should be called something different, true, but oh well. We know that it's not True Metal, and we can hold on to what we have.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Some of you will find it funny, others will find it offensive. You be the judge.
Just post a reply! I want to see what everyone thinks.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, look at all the controversy over a simple list... and it was funny as heck too. My favorites:

54. Pretend that you hate the world.

61. Insert the word "@#%$" in the middle of two words -- ie. "I like coco-@#%$-nut"

:laugh:

I'm just sick of hearing "45" on the radio. They try way too hard to sound depressed and suicidal. :animesmil Oh yea, and this one too:

92. Say that you're going to commit suicide whenever no one pays attention to you.

(Someone's about to say that whoever wrote "45" isn't a nu-metal band... ;) )[/COLOR]