OtakuBoards

Making a manga

Lightwing

[quote name='Lightwing']Hi, I am making a new manga. Its basically a rewritten part of my old manga that I didnt make yet. I am getting better with drawing I just need more help with that. So can anybody help me?[/quote]

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Teal]If you would like some help...I would love to help you...but you have to jugde if I am the one to help you with your style...if you want to check my stuff out...go to
jixujanime.htmlplanet.com by the way...no stealing...I will kill any one who does so.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='YoriChan']I'm trying to finish a drawing that I've been working on since 7th grade and I am now a freshman in high school.[/quote]

how long is that by the way?

But the longest i have ever worked on a picture is about 5 hours a night for about 11 days, so that 55 hours but that's both drawing and colouring. The the longest one that took me to colour was 5 and half hours, but the one i'm doing at the moment has taken me about a 2 weeks and i'm just finishing off the colouring. :animesigh

[QUOTE=duoikari]how long is that by the way?

But the longest i have ever worked on a picture is about 5 hours a night for about 11 days, so that 55 hours but that's both drawing and colouring. The the longest one that took me to colour was 5 and half hours, but the one i'm doing at the moment has taken me about a 2 weeks and i'm just finishing off the colouring. :animesigh[/QUOTE]
man doukari...can you teach me? * looks at you with big puppy eyes*

What do you want me to teach you?.I learnt a trick for colouring in and it this
If you want to help the colours blend in more then uses a circlur motion and slowly blend in colour in with them.
It does take a long time but it does look really good, especially if your trying to make an object look round. I used this techqinue on my Kino's journey picture that i posted on the otaku and i think that is it the best colouring i ever done.

But then again you wouldn't want colour in a black and white manga would you :animeswea , still i do have to say this
Don't do normal type frame, use more interesting ways of showing each frame in your manga. If you look at the manga i have just attached you may see what i mean, the page is a bit crowded for some people's liking but i does make the manga look more appealing

When it comes to actual art technique, and your ability to draw, i'm afraid that's all on you. Nobody can snap their fingers and make you a better artist. ;) You've just got to keep practicing. My suggestion would be to just play around with different poses with each of your characters. Do a page with just expressions, etc. The more familiar you are with every nook and cranny of your characters, the easier it will be for you to draw them in a manga setting.

If you have the drawings you've done so far scanned and online post a link here and i can give you a few suggestions.

my artwork is here: [url]http://kilaria.deviantart.com[/url] and just like FireKnifeDancer said. Please do not steal my artwork, or my characters. They are mine and nobody elses.

Kilaria

[QUOTE=Kilaria]When it comes to actual art technique, and your ability to draw, i'm afraid that's all on you. Nobody can snap their fingers and make you a better artist. ;) You've just got to keep practicing. My suggestion would be to just play around with different poses with each of your characters. Do a page with just expressions, etc. The more familiar you are with every nook and cranny of your characters, the easier it will be for you to draw them in a manga setting.

If you have the drawings you've done so far scanned and online post a link here and i can give you a few suggestions.

my artwork is here: [url]http://kilaria.deviantart.com[/url] and just like FireKnifeDancer said. Please do not steal my artwork, or my characters. They are mine and nobody elses.

Kilaria[/QUOTE]
thays the problem...i cant do experssions or anything like that.

[quote name='Lightwing']thays the problem...i cant do experssions or anything like that.[/quote]

Then you need to practice. Look through manga, or on websites like deviantart. See how the expressions are drawn. Get an idea of how to do it, and then give it a try. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect.

Kilaria

[QUOTE]

Then you need to practice. Look through manga, or on websites like deviantart. See how the expressions are drawn. Get an idea of how to do it, and then give it a try. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect.

Kilaria

[/QUOTE]
Actually, I think it all depends on what you're trying to do. My character, Dan, looks like a piece of, ahem, well, take a guess, when compared to real manga. But that's becuase he's not meant to be real manga.

It all depends on how far into the real manga experience you want to go. You could be like Tom Fincshbach (I think that's how it's spelled) and his comic Two Kinds, where it's extremely manga-ized and everything looks like it could be in a professional manga. Or you could be like Dan Shive and just use one or two elements of anime/manga.

It could be as sloppily drawn in the world as possible, but just as long as the message gets across. Of course, if some people think otherwise, then I would ask them not to hurt me. Just try to come up with your own style, make the characters come alive as you see fit. Of course, I'm not one to talk, am I?:rolleyes:

[quote name='Lightwing']Doukari...teach me everything.[/quote]

I'll say this if you go to manga tutorial, they have an extremely good section on expression and i found it more helpful then the books myself. I have problems puting eyes of a face, i can do really good eyes and a really good expression but i can't put the two together and place them on a face with hair and things.

the best image i have ever done was on Quatre and a made up child character, it was great and i used a picture from a doujinshi to do it. i the type of artist that has to use referances, it's just the way i work.

I also have another problem, i hate drawing women, i just can't stand it, even though i'm a girl myself. I just love to draw males characters instead of female and when it comes down to drawing a girl i don't really enjoy it as much as drawing a guy.

[QUOTE=duoikari]
I also have another problem, i hate drawing women, i just can't stand it, even though i'm a girl myself. I just love to draw males characters instead of female and when it comes down to drawing a girl i don't really enjoy it as much as drawing a guy.[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Hm. I'm the exact opposite! I'm better at drawing the curves and shape of a girl rather than a guy. (I am, by the way, a girl) My guys always look rather... Un-proportioned.

Anyway, I say you should just draw/ doodle for a few weeks, Lightwing, and find your strengths. Look at other pictures (Simple, like Pokemon or Digimon.) and try to copy them (Not plagerize, just for practice, you know? But DON'T EVER TRACE. Tracing is a horrible crutch, and it's a bad habbit.) Once you get that down, try and find your own unique style. Once you find out what you're good at, you can work on the bad. It's pretty easy, once you get the hang of it.

Just don't ever give up![/SIZE][/CENTER]

here's naother tip ! When i find a line of a shape really hard to draw and you keep trying and keep trying to do but you just can't, then try geting another piece of paper and trace over just that on line or shape you can't get. This allows your hand to get used to the way it had to go to create the desired shape. But NEVER and i mean NEVER trace the whole thing, with this techique you use a completely different paper to what your drawing on.

[quote name='Lightwing']hey i wonder what would happened if died....sorry that was random :animeswea umm... my manga is basically love, romance ,fighting, and comedy(a little)/[/quote]

Well unless you were a very good artist or people knew about your work, then your death would be meanless. But if your talking from a person point of view, ten we would all miss you very much and cries lots like me :animecry:

I always says this when people ask, but studying anatomy helps tons. Certain how to books help as well (it's hit or miss though. I wouldn't buy one without being able to look at the contents first). I just recently bought a few books on anatomy (mostly cause the images were so cool~). Understanding basic anatomy helps tons. Even if you are drawing anime/manga/whatever, your images will look tons better if you understand parts of anatomy (anime/manga characters are pretty much slightly distorted versions of "normal" people... you can't accurately draw a distorted person without first really knowing how to draw a real person).

it might also help to focus on little things at a time if you are having trouble. For example, maybe you can't very well draw a full body pic of a person... so practice drawing just heads (or maybe the shoulders and up) and then move on to maybe trying to draw hands (look at your own hands for reference. It usually helps. I do it all the time. Sometimes you might need a mirror though). That way, you can sort of slowly move to drawing something more complicated.

Since you mentioned not being able to really making people "come alive", I think studying anatomy will help you out a lot. Also practice various expressions (reference might help for this, if you think you need it... if not, make faces at yourself in the mirror or something XD;;;; )

Already mentioned, but practice helps.

(since a couple of people gave out their sites XD; mine is redvoid.com if you want to check it out. )

If you have anymore questions, I can try to help out ^^