OtakuBoards

The cheesiest anime ever

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
What's the cheesiest anime ever? My votes for Pokemon. No wait, I take that back...Duel Masters! CHEESE city!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]...I can't stand that show, "SDF Gundam..." It made me soooooo mad....

"Tallgeese? What kind of a name is that? HAHAHHA!!!"

That's all it took for me to not watch the rest of the episode to see if the series was any good (which I think not...). Sure, I questioned the name, but I didn't make fun of the past Gundam... :(

Jerks... :animeangr [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Souryuuha']I agree with you.I really dislike Duel Masters... although, It was just the dub that made it so horrible. The Japanese version is VERY different. [/quote]

The Japanese version was an unwatchable Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off. I'm stumped on why you liked it. The dub version at least tried to be funny and actually succeeded for the first 10-20 episodes (the joke got old and almost painful very quickly after that, though).

As for the cheesiest show, I'd say DICE. I honestly can't stand that show whatsoever. Of course, being my rebellious self, I could also put Gravion/Zvei up there as well just to go against the grain of mentioning childrens' animes and show that several adult animes are total crap as well. Or even better, say that the slight cheesiness of the original Gatchaman actually adds to the enjoyment of that show.

I should say pokemon was the cheesiest of all
first it was far too long
second it was sort of pointless
third my little brother loved it so much that we used to watch it twice a day if we want to eat alltogether as a family both during breakfast and dinner
god what a torture it was...

Bastard.

The show is so horrible, I couldn't even get past 2 episodes. Not only is the main charater's voice is so annoying in the dub, but his alter ego is totally forgotten. The show tries to be funny, and sticks in random fan-service and moaning.

Good thing it was my friend's dad's, and I was only borrowing it.

Even though I like them, I have to say alot of old anime are chessy also. Atleast they did give me enjoyment when young. I can't whatch old episodes of Speed Racer or Voltron. Robot cats that combine into one? A super car anime with it's infamous dubbing? I just can't keep a straight face with the wacky ideals.

But hey, I bet in 30 years people will look back at shows that are hits now and just luagh at how stupid they are to their advance shows.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]Pokemon used to be cute..(yeah like when I was five) but now its corny. I mean the some of the sounds the pokemon make are so annoying. I was watching one of the movies today, Pokemon Heroes, and I wanted to shut if off but couldn't because of my little sisters. I can't believe I used to be crazy about that show.

Another one I think is Digimon. It reminds me of Pokemon in many ways at times. I haven't even seen Digimon in like...forever. I advise for younger viewers, stay away from these anime. You'll love them then the next day you'll hate 'em.

BlackTigerGurl :catgirl: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Bad mouthing Digimon? ;_;

I think it's kind of silly to just be naming all of these kids shows. OF COURSE they're going to be cheesy now that you've (hopefully) developed better taste over the years.

Some older anime is kind of cheesy. I can't remember the title of the one I'm thinking of (it's kind of obscure), but it was a pretty old bootleg that I don't think was even dubbed. XD It was just so weird and well, cheesy. Just the acting, and the storyline...all of it fit perfectly into this big cheesy mass XD

It was kind of like Eva, only not, and it was older and a bit more *mature* Ugh, it was so dumb Xl

[b]Kannazuki no Miko[/b] has an incredible amount of cheese, and yet somehow the cheese level isn't significant enough to make it worth watching for that alone, which I find rather remarkable. The show just takes itself so damn seriously. I feel oddly bitter about this, possibly because I had high hopes for it (which were admittedly based on little other than the fact that it was supposed to be some kind of epic yuri thing).

I know a lot of people were really amused by KnM, but I couldn't even bring myself to find it funny. :animesigh

~Dagger~

[quote name='Ayokano']But hey, I bet in 30 years people will look back at shows that are hits now and just luagh at how stupid they are to their advance shows.[/quote]

I laugh at how stupid most of our "advance" shows are now.

However, something like, say, Cowboy Bebop will be considered a classic 30 years from now, just like how Lupin III is considered a classic 30 years since it aired. Quality doesn't degenerate over time. Its been over 50 years since The Lord of the Rings was first published, but people still love it now. If something like that can last in popularity for 50 years, why couldn't Princess Mononoke last for 30?

[color=darkviolet]Word association time when I see SailorMoon the first thought that pops in my head is: Pass the crackers!

Don't get my wrong, I love Sailor Moon. I search for Sailor Moon memorabilia (just found myself a Sailor Venus key chain at a new anime store in my area :animesmil ) and snatch it up when I find it in my price range, but after a while the whole show got really sappy and cheesey.

For one thing the plot just kept regurgitating itsself- villains come to Tokyo in search of energy (or taking over the world) and SailorMoon stops them. She gets a new item each season and new powers. The poor inner senshi only got new outfits the fourth season (going by the anime) and only got three new attacks. The outer senshi were weeded out (anime again) and poor Setsuna is stuck babysitting ChibiUsa off and on.

However the worst offender in that whole show is Tuxedo Mask. [spoiler]Honestly Beryl should have been [i]lglad[/i] that Zoicite atleast [i]tried[/i] to kill that loser instead of having a BF and Killing poor Zoi Boy instead.[/spoiler] He was nasty to Usagi, easily lead on by voices in his head and kept getting brain washed. He was the cracker for the cheese![/color]

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']However, something like, say, Cowboy Bebop will be considered a classic 30 years from now, just like how Lupin III is considered a classic 30 years since it aired. Quality doesn't degenerate over time. Its been over 50 years since The Lord of the Rings was first published, but people still love it now. If something like that can last in popularity for 50 years, why couldn't Princess Mononoke last for 30?[/quote]
I think Ayokano is referring more to the fact that a lot of older anime share certain stylistic qualities that make them unpalatable to some people. For example, the theatricality and melodrama present in something like Rose of Versailles is inevitably going to look silly or cheesy to people weaned on Bebop. At the same time, Rose of Versailles is widely held to be a real classic. It sounds silly to say that certain traits unite all the anime heralding from a specific era, but I do think that there are differences in overall approach (not even including artwork) that generally distinguish much older shows from newer ones.

Not all older shows have that factor--the artwork of Legend of Galactic Heroes and Maison Ikkoku won't please everyone, but they're not markedly more cheesy/theatrical than more recent stuff.

If there's a similar quality uniting a good percentage of the anime being made now, I'm not sure that we'd be able to recognize it until later. People talk about how digital animation has altered a lot of things, but while that has produced differences in terms of production quality (for better or for worse), it can't be solely responsible for the gradual shift in direction styles.

The more serious something is, the more open it is to accusations of cheesiness. Lupin mostly gets away with what it does because it's essentially a comedy. Yet I don't have that much trouble imagining a lot of contemporary shows being considered cheesy in the future. That doesn't mean they won't be loved and proclaimed classics by others, but... well, I think I'll stop here, because now I'm just wandering. :p

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]...I can't stand that show, "SDF Gundam..." It made me soooooo mad....

"Tallgeese? What kind of a name is that? HAHAHHA!!!"

That's all it took for me to not watch the rest of the episode to see if the series was any good (which I think not...). Sure, I questioned the name, but I didn't make fun of the past Gundam... :(

Jerks... :animeangr [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, there certainly isn't any show quite like SDF Gundam... if there was one thing I never thought I'd see in a Gundam series, it was cg chibi mechas chanting about friendship :twitch:

It's one of those shows that, after watching, you walk away with slightly less intelligence.[/COLOR]

Gee, doesn't anyone LIKE cheesy shows? Doesn't the phrase "so bad it's good" mean anything anymore? I could name a million shows which annoyed me, but that would just give me a headache and put me in a rotten mood...

I have to agree that picking on kid's shows is a form of bullying. Kids really like seeing the same thing over and over. They just don't care. You can get away with an awful lot with kids. And kid's anime can be made cheaply for this reason. Turning around and saying "I'm a grown-up and that stuff is beneath me now" misses the point and pretty much makes it impossible to have any fun.

One of my favorite shows ever is Chou Kuse ni Narisou. For practically any element you can name (voice acting, music, visual design, zzzzzzzz) you will find that this series offends. And the writing is just a bunch of gags in search of a punchline. But it's funny and sharp and lovable and that's all I need.

I loved the Sailor Moon live action series in the same way; I was always willing to forgive the show its numerous flaws. And the show got better as it went on -- even the acting made it up to passable by the end of the series. But that's not the point I guess.

I got to say Sailor moon and pokemon, but i like cheezy romances with a twist though, but please sailor moon was so over the top on everything.

As for Duel master, i thought that show was fantastically funny!, the dubbed version i mean. It was just totally taking the mick out of Yu-gu-oh and beyblade, i mean i love the lines that come out with it 'Guys i'm going slow mo' i mean come on that has to be funny. As for digimon, mmm, that has a certain amount of cheezyness but you got to remember these show are for kids, der that's why there on the kids chanel :animeangr .

Another thing i think is a bit cheezy is (dare i say it) Naruto!. Now i am going to speak my mind about this.

I think that Naruto is just a knock off version of Dragonball z, i mean has any one ever noticed the similarty between are beloved 'Goku' and the stupid yet also equally loveable 'Naruto'. Here's a hint what blonde, stupid, and wears bright orange and blue? take one guess. Also it has the same kind of lovable main characters that you love to hate. Let me explain more, if you look at it from a yaoi point of view you can clearly see that there is something seriously wrong with the relationship that Naruto and Sakake(Forgive spelling) have and has anyone noticed that it the same kind of love hate relationship that Vegeta and Goku have. One always trying to become more powerful and trying to out beat each other.

And oh my god is the first few episode childish, where they are all training under there teacher and they have that little 'Frendship' thing. Please how childish and naive. The cheeze in some episode of Naruto is soo much that it should be put on toast(sorry bad joke).

Now here where we are going to get the millions and millions of people coming up and fighting for the right to say that 'Naruto is great, Naruto is famb'. Please the best thing about Naruto is the big fight scene between the main characters.

[quote name='duoikari'] I think that Naruto is just a knock off version of Dragonball z, s.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]And the equally cheesey Tokyo MewMew (well ok, Mew Mew power because I've only seen the dubbed 4Kids crapola) is just a cheap SailorMoon knock off. Only Zoey (can't think of her original name) isn't as klutzy or stupid as Serena (USagi)

Infact Tokyo Mew MEw is such a knock off- the leader practically stole SailroChibi Moon's Twinkle Bell for calling Pegasis!

I think the cheap knock off is what makes it cheesey, although I find Naruto a heck of a lot more watchable than DBZ[/color]

[quote name='algazaleen!]Hamtaro I think, I mean, its about hamsters. [B]HAMSTERS[/B']. How can you get any cornier? Not corny bad, but still really corny.[/quote]

The most cheezest thing about hamtaro is the theme tune, i mean come on
'Laura gone to school lets go to am ham ham climb house' I mean come that has too much cheeze for even kids. The best thing about that show was the teacher who had a fear of chickens, i mean come on who in the hell has such a hugh fear of chickens that they ran away and hide because of them.