[OBGT] Revue vs. Katana

Dagger

[CENTER][I][B]Round 1, Match 3: Revue vs. Katana[/B]
[/I][/CENTER]

[B]Date Due: [/B]Tuesday, September 13
[B]
Dimensions:[/B] 150 x 500

[B]Theme: [/B] Falling

Once you have posted your submission (fulfilling the mentioned criteria), other members will vote on your work. We permit those who are participating in the tournament to vote as well. There will be no poll option ? you will be required to post a paragraph at least four sentences in length, explaining why you voted the way you did. If you fail to type a complete paragraph, your vote will not be counted, and you will receive a PM saying so. I will count & tally votes.

Thank you very much for participating. Good luck!

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=royalblue][center][i]In the picture, he departs from this earth like an arrow. Although he has not chosen his fate, he appears to have, in his last instants of life, embraced it. If he were not falling, he might very well be flying. He appears relaxed, hurtling through the air. He appears comfortable in the grip of unimaginable motion. He does not appear intimidated by gravity's divine suction or by what awaits him. His arms are by his side, only slightly outriggered. His left leg is bent at the knee, almost casually. His white shirt, or jacket, or frock, is billowing free of his black pants. His black high-tops are still on his feet. He will soon be traveling at upwards of 150 miles per hour, and he is upside down. In the picture, he is frozen; in his life outside the frame, he drops and keeps dropping until he disappears.[/i]

[url=http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2003/030903_mfe_falling_1.html]Falling against the towers...[/url]
The first page of it is the best part of the read.[/center]

My humble tribute and remberance of nine eleven zero one.

[center][img]http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24438&stc=1[/img][/center]

- "Falling" and "Flying" written in 3D Noise, which in turn was made by Alf Nielson. You can get it [url=http://dafont.com/en/font.php?file=3d_noise]here[/url].

-Quote comes from the Falling Man article.

-Brush used for the splotches of red and for erasing come from [url=http://magicbox.ti-fi.com/]The Magic Box[/url].

-Everything else (black and white background, blue background, etc. etc.) made by me. XD

So you have your options. Me or Revue. Our styles are obviously very different. You pick the one that flows with you best. ^^
[/color][/size]

[COLOR=#E77B3D][SIZE=1]^ 'Cause rarely do we come upon this kind of request down at Art by Request. Pretty weird, but there's lovely logic behind the choice of theme and dimensions. Good job, Chief!

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/Falling.jpg[/IMG]

[b][u]The Astronaut's Song[/u][/b][/CENTER]

♥ The lines are based on a translation of Maaya Sakamoto's [i]Uchuuhikoushi no Uta[/i]. Haven't heard the song but its lyrics make me smile. [url=http://www.animelyrics.com/jpop/sakamoto/uchuuhikoushi.htm]Click click![/url]

♥ The brush "Starfield" used to create those yellow stars in the background (what else? ^_^) is from
[url=http://www.magitek-designs.net]brushes by pange[/url]. Go visit it sometime. Obviously it's a premade brush. Ohohoho!

♥ The text was set in [i]Airstrip Four[/i], a font by [url=http://www.vicfieger.com/]Vic Fieger.[/url] Absolutely brilliant work.

♥ Everything else (vectors, the dotted border and the little orange plane including) was done by me. I had a lovely time making this. *grins*

Enjoy!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Brilliant work, both of you! The two of ye get [B]+300 RESPECT PTS[/B], and a [B]LVL UP[/B] to boot. ^_^

[b]Katana's Piece[/b] was very grungy, dark, and depressing. Very interesting approach to the theme, I must say. The typography placement was definitely there, but the problem I had was the texture of the background, as well as the Arial (perhaps a bit too plain for this). Very interesting way of placing the text though - like you're falling.

[b]Revue's Piece[/b] magnificent. Actually, I'm going to say that this is d**m near one of the best pieces to hit to Studio in a long time. The vectoring, the coloring, the typography placement and theme is masterful and well pieced together. I'm not fond of the black color dashes on the border, but it does nothing to diminish the beauty of this. Wonderful.

[B]My vote goes to Revue.[/B] Very good show, the both of you.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Since Retri has already given you guys points I?ll just applaud the both of you.

[B]Katana:[/B] The piece is great. Everything is proportionally excellent. But as Retri stated the text needs a bit of work. The texture and the hard to read Arial font is very hard on the eyes. But great work none the less!
[B]
Revue:[/B] Wow! I'm in total shock. This piece is unbelievably brilliant. All the vectors, the colors, the plane, the grid, the border, the text, my god! Bravo! I'm amazed that you were able to do this in what it seems like; 2 days [correct me if I?m wrong]. You are definitely going to have to teach me how to vector soon because it seems like it'll be very helpful in the future.

Well overall great job to the both of you, but my vote goes to [B]Revue[/B][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][b]Katana[/b] - I like the grungey look, I like the words...I like the all around bittersweet theme of your graphic's text. That being said, I don't {i}quite[/i] like the placement of the words. They don't seem to [i]flow[/i]. Perhaps that's the idea and I'm not catching it, but it seems to jar with the fluidity of the image more that I like. I do like the font and brushes you used, though. It's not often you see sentimental and grungy mixed so well.

[b]Revue[/b] - Wow. That's all I can say. I love this piece. The flow, the text...the colors! Orange beats all other colors, in my opinion, especially when paired with blue. I also like the whimsical nature of the shapes; it goes with the cute lyrics. Everything just seems to fit together nicely, and I can [i]tell[/i] you had fun with it. Whimisical never works unless the artist truly enjoys their whimsy.

My vote - [b]Revue[/b][/COLOR]

[size=1][b]Katana[/b]: A good effort here, although I am a fan of constant borders ~_^ I can't say that the font choices did too much for your piece. Arial, as has been mentioned, is rather too plain and awkward a font to use, especially for something like this. In contrast, your 'falling' and 'flying' font is much too busy. Perhaps a 30% opacity blend without the shadow would have been better. I wouldn't make that stand out so much. I love the silhouette idea, and I love the quote, but I think some areas need improvement.

[b]Revue[/b]: Great effort. The cheerful colour scheme complements the whimsical style of the lyrics, which are great by the way. It appears that the first orange vectored part [immediately bordering the stars layer] is filtered in some way relative to the stars - make it opaque I'd recommend. I'm talking about those little black spots. I'm not all that big on the grid, but I [b]love[/b] those clouds. So cute.

[b]Vote[/b]: [i]Revue[/i].[/size]

[SIZE=1]Excellent work guys, both of you.

[b]Katana:[/b] I do like the dark feel of this piece, with the main focus of the image not being centralized as one would imagine but rather off to the bottom as if slipping away from the viewer. I won't re-iterate what everyone else has said about the text. I like it, I do, however I feel that it does not grab the attention of the view quite as much as it ought to.

[b]Revue:[/b] I absolutely adore the whimsical feel of this piece as Ozy put it, it works perfectly. It truly is an original piece and very abstract. It isn't something you would automatically think of when imagining the theme and I love it. The fact that you also made most of it yourself is also very impressive.

I think its safe to say my vote goes to [b]Revue[/b] also. Sorry Katana :( [/SIZE]

[size=1][color=darkslateblue]Wow, this is so cool. I've been gone for a long, long, long time.

[b]Katana:[/b] Oooh...neato. I absolutely love the background. The blue, I mean. It's just very...cool. (Yes, I'm in a little brain ditch.) The greyscale background really sets it off nice. I like the image, and the arm. It definetly creates the falling effect, along with everything else.
I, actually, think the text is cool. The emphasis were those two words, right? I don't mind the Arial. I think it's to put more emphasis on "falling" and "flying".

[b]Revue:[/b] Wow is that pretty. I adore Maaya Sakamoto's work, and the lyrics certainly sound like something she has made. The artwork is very clean, and I like the color combination. None the less, the style just isn't mine. I'm more for...for...for...no offense, but artistic styles, and not the cut-and-dry style that seems to be pretty popular now here at the OB. Also, the text is kinda blurry...or maybe that's just me? I dunno.
Don't get me wrong, I think your graphic is gorgeous. It's just not what I prefer.

Before I give my vote, I want to say that both images are abolutely gorgeous. I've seen the other threads, and you two were the first to actually have both participants give a fantastic graphic. It's a little unsettling that some people aren't trying.

And in the end, [b]Katana[/b] gets my vote. Enjoy the firstness. ^^;;[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]I hope Im not tooooo Late :P

Katana: I dislike this piece.... The colors do not blend at all and it looks like you just took a brush a slapped some stuff on it.... The BG is very nice but the Grunge and other various brush spots ruin it. I also do not like the text or the placement of the text. Colors are off and the text does not flow with the image. Retri once told me never use text to cover up your work.. Well you did exactly what I was told not to do. The Character is about the only thing I can say I really like about this whole piece. Please do not take this personal :P You are far better than me but this just was not your night.

Revue: This piece almost makes me happy. It has a bright feel to me. Hehe I love it thats all I can say. I love the Mix of space and "Mother Earth" and how it blends and connects. You also captured the theme. The text is perfect you do not make it stand out but yet you can still tell it is there.

Very nice job both of you :P

My vote goes to Revue[/SIZE]

First off I will say that I think both pictures are nicely done.

[B]Katana:[/B] I really like the abstract feel and darkness of the background as the character is falling out of the picture. It?s as if he tried to fly and failed and is reaching for something to save him. I do not care for the words in white, as they are too neat and orderly for this picture. The effects on the words falling and flying fit this piece much better as they seem to be being affected by the falling. Definitely nicely done.

[B]Revue: [/B] I like how your picture has a cute and whimsical feeling to it. The colors flow nicely together and everything was placed quite nicely to give the impression that the plane is literally pushing the very air aside as it falls. I do not care for the words as they are on the small side and a bit blurry making it a bit more difficult to read. I also did not care for the dots and vertical lines, as they seem to distract from the soft nature of this picture. I do like the clouds and the little house and truck as they fit the whimsical feel rather well, though a bit too clean for my tastes.

Overall I am impressed with both of these pictures. Both are very well done.

I liked the darker abstract feel of [B]Katana?s[/B] picture a little bit better,so my vote goes to [B]Katana[/B].