OtakuBoards

Favorite and Least Favorite Vocalist

Jake of Bodom

I'm curious as to who everybody's favorite and least favorite vocalists are.

[B]Favorite: Mikael Åkerfeldt[/B]

Mikael hails from the band Opeth. He's my favorite vocalist because not only does he have the most incredible Death-growl EVER, he can also sing beautifully! Something about his singing is just hypnotic, and his growls are deep and passionate. Plus, he writes the lyrics for Opeth, and the lyrics are just so eloquent... it's true poetry.

[I]Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away
Waking up to your sound again
And lapse into the ways of misery[/I]

[B]Least Favorite: Fred Durst[/B]

Fred Durst of Lim Bizkit is my choice for "least favorite" for a few reasons. First off, he's just plain whiny. Seriously, undeniably whiny. I'm talking about his voice here, not the lyrics (which are [I]also[/I] whiny). It's just annoying. He sounds like a 4-year-old who didn't get his ice cream and is throwing a tantrum because of it. Second of all, his lyrics are immature and just plain stupid. Here's an example of his amazing lyrical prowess (an excerpt from the song "I'm Broke"):

[I]Cause now it's time to pay the piper
Bums are the type of sh!t that's in a diaper
Don't make me have to call a sniper[/I]

Wow.

And finally claimed that Limp Bizkit was a mixture of Hip/Hop and Thrash. Obviously he has no idea whatsoever about what Thrash is. ARGH!

[font=trebuchet ms]Favorite: Anthony Green

The ex-lead singer of Saosin and new lead singer of Circa Survive and The Sound of Animals Fighting. He has the highest male vocal range I've heard, every note he sings gets compared to Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria, but I think Anthony trounces him in every way. He's an amazing singer with a... beautiful... voice and a good screamer, even though he doesn't do so in Circa Survive. Here's some choice lyrics:

[i]Purely curteous across her chest.
Are you cutting me out now after crawling inside?
Turn away your head,
What do I deserve instead?
It's a surprise you haven't caught on yet.
It's nothing personal, you're an embarrassment.
Don't cut me out.[/i]

Least Favorite: Cattle Decapitation's singer... and the rest of the band.

I've only heard two songs, and I think that not hearing anymore might have saved my life. The guy, I haven't bothered to look up his name, does this really fast metal growl to really fast, chatoic music which ends up making it sound like he's regurgitating into his mic for seven minutes. Download Polyps for a laugh, I thought it was funny the first time, but it used to be after Between the Buried and Me in my playlist, so I'd accidentally hear some of it after the cd finished. Yikes![/font]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Tough choice...

Favourite Vocalist - Geddy Lee (AKA, Gary Wiebsen Lee)

Does the vocals and bass for the supergroup RUSH. I know some people find his voice annoying, but I love it. No one I've heard, save maybe Freddie Mercury or Rik Emmit, can match his melodic, almost poetic style of singing. I don't know what it is, and I can't really describe it. It's really one of those voices you've got to hear to understand... and you can't hear just one song, either. Also, he's probably one of the most talented bassists around. Here's some lyrics:

[I]Faith is cold as ice
Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?
Well, who would hold a price
On the heads of the innocent children
If there's some immortal power
To control the dice?[/I]

(This was a really hard choice. It was a massive tie between Gord Downie, Burton Cummings, Geddy Lee, Randy Bachman, and Matt Mays)

Least Favourite Vocalist - Britney Spears

She Cannot Sing. But she's not alone there - there are tonnes of people like that. The reason she's my most hated musical enemy is simple: even though she obviously has no talent, she's still uber-popular. She's so terrible it makes me cringe whenever I hear her voice... Well, I don't actualy think this qualifies as 'least favourite vocalist', because I'm fairly certain she doesn't actualy sing her own songs... but whoever does the singing should be shot and eaten by five hungry frenchmen.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][b]Favorite Vocalist:[/b] I have two. Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica (duh) and Cedric Bixler Zavala of The Mars Volta.

[b]Tony Kakko -[/b] This guy has pleasingly melodic clean vocals and sports an absolutely [i]insane[/i] range. He makes falsetto cool. The band has a great sound that's just full of energy and musical passion, and his voice and his occasional layering effects only add to it. Here are some lyrics from "Black Sheep" off of [i]Silence.[/i]

[i]Temple of the evil, temple of the weak
No one knows how bad he feels
Late-night innuendo, tempetation of the key
Live with the black sheep, live with me[/i]

[b]Cedric Bixler Zavala -[/b] Truly inspired, some would even say possesed, singing with mind-numbingly poetic and occasionally obtuse lyrics characterize Cedric's style. Mere words really can't do it justice. Well, maybe some words from "Intertiatic ESP" off of [i]De-loused in the Comatorium[/i] can.

[i]Dolls wreck the minced meat of pupils
Cast in oblong arms length
The hooks have been picking their scabs
Where wolves hide in the company of men[/i]

[b]Least Favorite Vocalist:[/b] Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and all his other uninspired sound-alike clones. I hate them so much. So very, very much.

This man, or perhaps Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots, is solely responsible for the cavalcade of awful music that assaulted our eardrums and fine sensibilities in the late 90's. You could switch any band member of Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Dave Mathews Band, etc. etc., and you would still have the exact same sound. And their lyrics? It's like their brain took a crap and it came out their mouths, which is why they talk so funny, because their mouths are always filled with brain-craps.

God, I [i]hate[/i] them.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]I'm curious as to who everybody's favorite and least favorite vocalists are.

[B]Favorite: Mikael Åkerfeldt[/B]

Mikael hails from the band Opeth. He's my favorite vocalist because not only does he have the most incredible Death-growl EVER, he can also sing beautifully! Something about his singing is just hypnotic, and his growls are deep and passionate. Plus, he writes the lyrics for Opeth, and the lyrics are just so eloquent... it's true poetry.

[I]Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away
Waking up to your sound again
And lapse into the ways of misery[/I]

[B]Least Favorite: Fred Durst[/B]

Fred Durst of Lim Bizkit is my choice for "least favorite" for a few reasons. First off, he's just plain whiny. Seriously, undeniably whiny. I'm talking about his voice here, not the lyrics (which are [I]also[/I] whiny). It's just annoying. He sounds like a 4-year-old who didn't get his ice cream and is throwing a tantrum because of it. Second of all, his lyrics are immature and just plain stupid. Here's an example of his amazing lyrical prowess (an excerpt from the song "I'm Broke"):

[I]Cause now it's time to pay the piper
Bums are the type of sh!t that's in a diaper
Don't make me have to call a sniper[/I]

Wow.

And finally claimed that Limp Bizkit was a mixture of Hip/Hop and Thrash. Obviously he has no idea whatsoever about what Thrash is. ARGH![/QUOTE]

I don't know if i have a least fav. song or whatever but my favortive would have to Be Chop Suey! by System of a Down or All of This by Blink 182! :animesmil I guess It just somthing i like to compare my like to, it's somthing i can relax to! :animesigh

[COLOR=DarkOrange]My favorite vocalist would have to be...hmm...I think Roger Daltrey, of The Who. He has a very verstile voice, can go from crooning (Love Reign O'er Me) to roaring (Under a Raging Moon) and practically anything in between.

My [b]least[/b] would have to be Maurice Gibbs, I think his name is, lead singer for the BeeGees. He sings like a woman who can't sing. [/COLOR]

My favourite is Jacoby Shaddix from Papa Roach OR Micheal Hutchence from INXS. It might be because they are both my favourite bands but it is weird how much the two choices differ. Jacoby Shaddix is a Rock singer WHILE Hutchence is a Pop/Rock singer (And a damn good one).

Myu least favourite is definetly any Gangster Rapper or wannabee Pop Idol (Also including Jessie McHartney. I Hate him so Much). Its just that the Rappers show little to no talent other than the ability to talk quickly while the Idols are taking short cuts to stardom.