OtakuBoards

good drawing books for beginners

Guest TrueBlue

Guest TrueBlue
[SIZE=4][SIZE=2]hi, i'm new and i'm an aspiring manga artist. I really won't to learn how to draw manga so could someone give me some good how to drawing manga books. thanx in advance.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

It really depends on what you need help with.

Rather than a manga book, I always recommend people check out how to draw "real" anatomy (rather than a manga book). It helps a lot ^^ It's easier to draw a person in manga/anime style when you understand how to draw a real person.

Most books on real anatomy are pretty complicated though ^^; and I don't like the how to manga book on anatomy T_T

But, to recommend a how to manga book...

There's a series of books (I forget who they are by, i'm not sure if it's part of the how to manga series or if it's someone else?) that come in pastel colored covers... Ithink there are three of them? one is green, one is pink, and I don't know the other one (I think that's 2 and 3 XD; I don't own the first one) but it goes through how to draw various poses and some other things (I can't remember all of it since I don't have the book with me, but I know it covered expressions also) and various types of characters. I rather like them ^_^ and found them really helpful

The how to manga book on screentone is amazing *heart* but prolly more complicated than you are looking for ^^; I've seen it come with and without screentone to practice with though (it's the same price, either way). But I found it tons helpful (and I love working with tone now XD). The art in it, however, is pretty much all fan service and might as well be hentai T_T if you can get past that, the book is great.

When I buy books though, I always look at them at the store first XD; If I think it looks like it will help me out, I'll buy it. (but, so far, my faves have been the how to manga book on screen/comic tone and another book by someone else on various ways to color things...which included CG, copic markers, etc. I don't remember the name T_T)

The "How to Draw: Anime & Game Characters" series (what I think GTK was talking about) by Tadashi Ozawa is a constant reference for me. I would suggest buying these either all together or in order. The only problems I have with the series is number four, which is on fighting, but is fairly useless, and the lack of reference for drawing males.

The to make up for that, I would suggest How to Draw Manga number 27 which is "Male Characters". It was extremely useful for me (being a girl) to figure out how to draw male anatomy.

Also, I've been wanting to get my hands on the How to Draw Manga on drawing couples, but as of yet have not been able to find it. I've heard it's good though.

Other than that I'd suggest looking for online tutorials as much as you can. I usually just happen upon them randomly, but Deviant Art has a fairly good amount of them if you're willing to search for a while.

yes, guys are totally hard fer me to draw too. but i've worked hard on getting over that. i need how to draw manga couples too. another one of those hard things. i also think the "how to draw manga & game characters" is probably the only good reference out there. it's the one my sister got. and online tutorials will help you loads. i have alot of trouble hair and it has done wonders for me.

From time to time when I'm at a book store, I'll browse the how to draw manga books. I just don't find them useful at all. Not saying that I'm a great artist that knows what she's talking about, but I really don't think that they'd be good learning materials for beginners.

Speaking from personal experience, when I start drawing in an anime style, I'd look at the few manga I owned for references on poses, hands, expressions, etc...then when I got online, I looked at tutorials from certain artists. That's one reason why I like Deviantart. Some really great artists there make their own tutorials sometimes telling us some of their [I]own [/I]techniques. I think I find that more useful than the How-to-Draw sorts of books because you already respect these people's art.

But maybe you'd rather have your resources in book-form? I'm a digital artist, so I tend to stick to digital help ^^;

Also, I thought that [URL=http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/main.htm][U]the bakaneko tutorials[/U][/URL] were helpful.

There's no one book that can teach you how to draw well. Many will find themselves confused with the many different concepts in them, and I was one of them.

To improve your skill, you will have to try something easy first, before you step into tougher boundaries; you must first learn to walk before you can run.