OtakuBoards

[OBGT] Deucalion vs. Doukeshi

Dagger

[I][B][CENTER]Round 1, Match 8: Deucalion vs. Doukeshi[/CENTER][/B][/I]
[B]Date Due:[/B] Friday, September 23
[B]
Dimensions:[/B] 400 x 500

[B]Theme: [/B] Desire

Once you have posted your submission (fulfilling the mentioned criteria), other members will vote on your work. We permit those who are participating in the tournament to vote as well. There will be no poll option ? you will be required to post a paragraph at least four sentences in length, explaining why you voted the way you did. If you fail to type a complete paragraph, your vote will not be counted, and you will receive a PM saying so. I will count & tally votes.

Thank you very much for participating. Good luck!

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]Well here we go, here's my entry.

[b]Desire Makes Me Weak[/b]

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24469&stc=1[/img]

I would have added text but I think it would have detracted from the image. As it is I think the title above the image sums it up quite nicely ^_~.

Most of this is all my own work however:

The background rose is from [URL=http://www.spookyart.com/downloads/charlisiebert/Blood_Roses_Wallpaper_800x600.jpg][I]spookyart.com[/I][/URL]
And the figure in the front is a manipulation of [URL=http://www.mostbeautifulman.com/models/marc/pic5.shtml][I]this image[/I][/URL]

The rest of it was made with PSP 7

[B]P.S[/B] Those flecks across the image are supposed to be there ^_~[/SIZE]

[color=darkslategray][size=1]I've got my entry, don't freak. And still 3 and a half hours to spare!

[b]So Close, Yet So far[/b]

[IMG]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4999/allsodead4mm.png[/IMG]

I don't really like it, but meh. I'm always a bad critic.Also, words made up by me. Another reason I don't exactly like it.[/color][/size]

Nice pictures, both of you. ^_^

[B]Doukeshi[/B]: I like your picture, as it seems to be an abstract representation of a rose. The colors are bright and vivid and they flow quite well. I know that the specks are supposed to be there but I really don?t like them as they distract from the softness of the picture. What I don?t care for is the picture just doesn?t really come across as desire to me. It?s nicely done I just don?t care for the abstract conception of desire. If I didn?t know what the picture was suppose to represent I honestly wouldn?t have guessed it.

[B]Deucalion[/B]: I like how your picture fits nicely with the background colors. The over all colors are soft with a tiny hint of a glow and really go together. What I don?t care for is the font and colors of the words as they don?t seem to flow with the picture and look more like they were just put there. It?s nicely done but it seems more to me like she is simply waiting for her date to pick her up. It flows quite well, it just doesn?t seem to say Desire to me.

I think both pictures are nicely done even if they don?t seem to fit the theme very well. My vote goes to [B]Deucalion [/B] as I think they came the closest to the theme.

[B]Edit:[/B]
[QUOTE=Doukeshi][SIZE=1]

There is a person in the foreground you know, its not just a rose. I don't know if I'm allowed to address the meaning behind it, lest it detract from the actual graphic nature of the competition. There is meaning though.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I know. ^_^ It's just that the way the picture is done it comes across more as a rose than a person, at least to me anyway. ^_^

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=Aaryanna]Nice pictures, both of you. ^_^

[B]Doukeshi[/B]: I like your picture, as it seems to be an abstract representation of a rose.[/QUOTE]

There is a person in the foreground you know, its not just a rose. I don't know if I'm allowed to address the meaning behind it, lest it detract from the actual graphic nature of the competition. There is meaning though.[/SIZE]

Interesting how both of you have red within your images, even if by chance or purposefully. Doukeshi, you certainly provided something of an abstract nature which is just fine because desire is an abstract concept itself. Overall I like your take on the theme; it is different and not at first practical. Deucalion your image doesn?t quite stand on its own well although I see its relation to the theme. I do like however that you went on to a more specific representation.

My vote = [b]Doukeshi[/b]

[size=1]Interesting battle we have here. Good show, the both of you.

[b]Doukeshi:[/b] Unorthodox is the first thing that strikes me about this. The airbrush look really is unique. However, I don't like it. It looks grainy, it's choppy, and I have no idea what that red thing was until I checked the stock picture. I seriously thought it was a bloody chicken. No joke. The cool bloodsplatter effect is the result of you lifting a completely different stock image and just not editing it. That also strikes me as rather bland.

[b]Deucalion:[/b] Well, this is orthodox, but the general idea is alright. The stock image is fitting, and the background colors really reflect well with what desire means. However, it's really, really blank, and the font seems pretty hard to read/miniscule. But hey, I'm willing to give you bonus points on the brushed background. Way to stay strong, and away from those dirty pre-mades!

[B]So I vote for Deucalion,[/B] Almighty Ruler of the Universe.[/size]