OtakuBoards

Adult Swim

Qman1

Adult Swim has been on for 4 years now. Its been the MOST watch late night television since its apperance. It broadcasts Anime and Comedy shows. Anime such as Cowboy Bebop, Wolfs Rain, Blue Gender, Reign, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist, Big O, and a few other animes make up the Anime part of adult swim. Comedy shows such as Family Guy, American Dad, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Brak Show, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Stroker and Hoop, are a few others are the shows that make up the Comedy part of Adult Swim.

In 2002, Adult Swim started showing "Viewer Cards". A viewer card was a B&W text box. The person would write something on the adult swim message boards, in the hopes of it being aired on Thursday. This lasted until late August/Early September of 2005. Now, the viewer cards are only being shown on Sundays, and then being repeated throughout the week.

Adult Swim was so popular, that it started selling merchandise, a message board was created, and the site was redesigned twice.

ADULT SWIM WILL ALWAYS BE POPULAR!

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred]I remember when I first started watching adult swim, it was about when it first started I suppose and they showed Cowboy Beebop, Tenchi in Tokyo(I think), Pilot Candidate, Gundam 0083, as well as the original. There where acouple other shows I cant quite recall and the saturday shows were anime, while the sunday comedy. Needless to say I have been watching it ever since.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred]Now whenever I hear a semi robotic voice it reminds me of the first format of the show. But adult swim gives people alittle bit of everything, and is much better to watch than all the late night tv I get. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred]All hail adult swim :p[/color][/size][/font]

[SIZE=1]I've been with AS since about a month after it started. I've seen the changes, and watched good shows become crappy and edited on Toonami (the y were already edited but toonami cut out even more). I'm amazed, and delighted, that Cowboy Bebop is still showing. I still watch it every Saturday (even though I already own all the DVDs and The movie). Inuyasha is one of the many shows I've followed since it started.

But enough with AS's anime lineup what about the comedy. Even though all episodes of Family Guy aren't technically 'New' they're still great. I loved The Venture Brothers when it was new. My all-time AS original is Aqua Teen Hunger Force. That show is the best.

Adult Swim is great, really great! It's created a whole new group of anime fanatics. Sure it also creates posers, but it's better to have 1 poser for every 10 true anime lovers compared to only a tenth of that many people who've found the path of anime (cheesy, yes). Before AS I couldn't talk to my friends about anime because the didn't understand it and weren't about to go buy a DVD. Now that AS has a whole anime chunk they now know why I think it's cool and why my room is filled with collectibles.

Without the Sunday lineup I think I'd shoot myself knowing it'll be Monday the next day. Now I can go into school/work with a smile on my face. Robot Chicken is something I'd kill to watch, seriously. Without that show my life would be bleak and gray. That show opened up a new era of comedy for me, and others I'm sure.

So in the end without my AS fix my life would suck. Long live Adult Swim![/SIZE]

I've been an avid [as] fan for several years. I've seen Inu-Yasha from the beginning, Wolf's Rain all the way through, Cowboy Bebop all the way through MANY times (almost have it all memorized by now), and have seen many others come and go. I simply love the anime blocks. The comedy, on the other hand, are not all that funny. Venture Brothers REEKS, Family Guy is mildly amusing at times, ATHF is dull, haven't seen American Dad, and Harvey Birdman is just plain stupid.

Sorry, but that's my opinion. Keep up the good work with the anime, lose the "comedy".

hey, im an avid AS fan also, but u cant have AS without the comedy, thats how AS started out, with the kids swiming in the pool, and watching home movies, and the oblongs, that is what As is founded by, comedy, but i too love the anime, and i wished they would put kikiader back on the air, but tom goes to the mayor rules u

[SIZE=1]What's this?

Fans paying tribute to their beloved AS?! [i]>:0[/i]

...Carry on. ^^

I pretty much grew up with Cartoon Network. I was there when they used to air G-Force, Speed Racer and a whole slew of other cartoons that you can't even find anymore. There before the idea of Toonami even existed so of course when they announced their new prime time block that would air on Sunday I of course happily looked forward to it and have been a happy viewer since.

The reason why people have seen Bebop so many times is because it was the first anime to ever grace the AS lineup, of course. And the comedy aspect of it was the basis for its founding so it would be un-sensible to get rid of it. Also, because Boondocks has yet to make its debut so it must continue to be. Plus, a lot of peeps would be put out of work! ^_^ There would be no more interns and it would lose what makes AS what it is.

It?s there bread, their butter, their grilled cheese, you know? So I think it?s just fine as it is. Although I never did watch any of it back then, I still was there!

[quote]but u cant have AS without the comedy, thats how AS started out, with the kids swiming in the pool[/quote]

No, no, no! They were pale, fat, wrinkly, old people!

*AS theme plays* ?Adult Swim... all kids out of the pool.?

I loved that because it clearly represented what AS was supposed to be (incase some parents couldn?t figure it out?). The literal meaning I mean. A lot of things are that more comical if you simply think of them in their literal sense. I do that all the time.

My favorite bit was, ?Is that pimiento, pimiento with cheese?? Just random and unnecessary and at times like that I really love that sort of thing.

For just 3 years, [adult swim] has come a long way from that little slot on Sunday to its current everyday of the week schedule with Friday as the exception.[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]Oh dear God, original Adult Swim. Back when it was only on Thursday and Friday. Those were beautiful days.

I really got hooked when they moved to Saturdays. Yu Yu Hakusho: Ghost Files, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam 0083, Pilot Candidate...all shows with ups and downs that couldn't help but captivate me.

In all honesty, I think CN has done a lot to get people into anime. I got started in Anime back in 93 when they ran Vampire Hunter D at about 1AM. Not to mention G Force, Speed Racer, and all the other great anime they've shown in between.

Oh, yeah, and that show about the little yellow balls. What was that called again? I can't seem to remember, CN rarely airs it...

--Chris[/color][/size]

• 3 months later...
I enjoyed watching Adult Swim. There were a few shows that were not worth watching but for the most part the people that run the network have a good taste in comedy and action. I believe that Adult Swim will be around for a very long time but nothing lasts forever so it will eventually die. There is no other network on the air day or night or both that has such a large selection of good shows from such a large group of different genres.

[quote name='WhiteBlaze][SIZE=1']I pretty much grew up with Cartoon Network. I was there when they used to air G-Force, Speed Racer and a whole slew of other cartoons that you can't even find anymore. There before the idea of Toonami even existed so of course when they announced their new prime time block that would air on Sunday I of course happily looked forward to it and have been a happy viewer since.[/SIZE][/quote]
[size=1]omfg, [b]Represent![/b] G-Force, Speed Racer, Thundercats, Voltron -- those were the [i]days[/i], man. That's the serious old school stuff right there.

I remember wasting my free time watching those shows in my basement, how entire weekends would be devoted to watching Cartoon Network. I remember the beginnings of the rumors of starting "Toonami" and how Tom was just a short, pudgy robot back then.

*eyes glaze over with nostalgia*

Now they've nearly killed Toonami -- but Adult Swim is still just as awesome. I was really pleased when they brought back Family Guy from the dead. Good times...[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Kuai']I enjoyed watching Adult Swim. There were a few shows that were not worth watching but for the most part the people that run the network have a good taste in comedy and action. I believe that Adult Swim will be around for a very long time but nothing lasts forever so it will eventually die. There is no other network on the air day or night or both that has such a large selection of good shows from such a large group of different genres.[/quote]

Some shows were kind of dumb (Super Milk Chan, Tom Goes To The Mayor, etc) But, they do have a good selection of comedy and anime. This September will mark the 5 years that Adult Swim has been on the air. Hard to believe right? Adult Swim is the most watched late night televison. Adult Swim will never die :animesmil

[quote name='Qman1']Some shows were kind of dumb (Super Milk Chan, Tom Goes To The Mayor, etc) But, they do have a good selection of comedy and anime. This September will mark the 5 years that Adult Swim has been on the air. Hard to believe right? Adult Swim is the most watched late night televison. Adult Swim will never die :animesmil[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Teal]I agree. ADULT SWIM WILL NEVER DIE!
... Super Milk Chan & Tom goes to the mayor. I didn't like those shows at all.
5 years eh? Spiffy.
I've also seen Inuyasha & Wolfs Rain from the beginining towards the end. Very good animes. -Well, In my opinion =/-
So anything special going to happen when the anniversary comes by? :animesigh[/COLOR] [/SIZE] [/FONT]

[QUOTE=arjem27][font=Arial][size=1][color=teal]I agree. ADULT SWIM WILL NEVER DIE!
... Super Milk Chan & Tom goes to the mayor. I didn't like those shows at all.
5 years eh? Spiffy.
I've also seen Inuyasha & Wolfs Rain from the beginining towards the end. Very good animes. -Well, In my opinion =/-
So anything special going to happen when the anniversary comes by? :animesigh[/color] [/size][/font][/QUOTE]Some animes also didnt work tell well either ([i]Witch Hunter Robin[/i], [i]Reing[/i], and some others).
Yep, it'll be 5 yrs this September. Inuyasha is a very long series. (I havent seen the whole thing yet) Wolf's Rain was one of my favorites.

Dont know about the anniversary, but something probably will happen.

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]Edit:[/color][/font][/b]
[quote name='Alchemist1080']Ive watched adult swim from the jump, and I agree that it has kept its popularity since then. i have been watching Family Guy and Home Movies on it. and now that it has The Boondocks and anime like Ghost in the Shell: stand alone complex, it has me staying up even more now.[/quote]Ive watched it from the start too. [i]FG[/i] is good, but I couldnt get into [i]Home Movies[/i].
[i]The Boondocks[/i] is AWESOME! and the second season of [i]GITS:SAC[/i] is good too.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Double posting is not allowed. I know I've warned you about this at least once before though I can't remember specifically when. Either way, just be sure to use the edit button if you would like to add more to your last post. You can still quote by manually adding quote tags ([*quote=user name]...[/quote] - just remember to remove the *) and copying and pasting the message into your post.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Qman1]Ive watched it from the start too. [I]FG[/I] is good, but I couldnt get into [I]Home Movies[/I].
[I]The Boondocks[/I] is AWESOME! and the second season of [I]GITS:SAC[/I] is good too.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I gotta say I've seen all the shows. Some shows I didn't like were: Super Milk Chan. Tom goes to the Mayor. Lupin the III. & a couple more. :animenose

Well here's a list of all the shows I do like: :catgirl:

The Boondocks. Inuyasha. ATHF. Case Closed. Witch Hunter Robin. Samurai Champloo. American Dad. Big O. FLCL. Home Movies. Harvey Birdman. Family Guy. FMA. Mission Hill. The Oblongs. Kikaider. Sealab 0221. Paranoia Agent. Robot Chicken. Venture Bros. & Stroker & Hoop. [/COLOR] [/SIZE] [/FONT]

I to have watched AS for along time. I have seen all of Cowboy Bebop. Wolf's Rain, Trigun, and many more. I even rember Blue Gender. The show with the big bugs in it that had taken over the world. I still watch AS. I even have a DVR bax to record the show that I miss during the week because of school. Its hard to beleive that it has been on for 5 years. I hope that it keeps going.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Qman1']Some shows were kind of dumb (Super Milk Chan, Tom Goes To The Mayor, etc) But, they do have a good selection of comedy and anime. This September will mark the 5 years that Adult Swim has been on the air. Hard to believe right? Adult Swim is the most watched late night televison. Adult Swim will never die :animesmil[/quote]

Aqua Teem Hunger Force instantly springs to mind with a laugh!! Meatwad rules ^_^

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I grew up with Cartoon network as well. I've been watching [adult swim] since the begining. They should put back some of the originals like Case Closed or Outlaw Star. Those were the days. And they shuld take out Harvey Birdman. Cuz that's just stupid.[/COLOR]