OtakuBoards

I want to learn how to draw!

FlamesFirebrand

[SIZE=1]Well, first off you don't really need to know how to draw straight lines. Very few people can draw straight lines without the aid of some kind up ruler. Drawings don't need to be made up of perfect bold lines. Draw being sketchy with quick strokes of the pencil in the vague shape you want. A square is made up off several quick lines joined together not a pencil being dragged around the page in that shape without being lifted.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.[/SIZE]

[quote name='FlamesFirebrand']I want to learn how to draw! I can never hold a pencil/Pen steady my hand always shakes. I cant really draw stright lines. If possible would someone help me get a book or help teach me how to draw? Im really getting desprate :animecry:[/quote]
[size=1]Lo there, FlamesFirebrand.

I would recommend taking an art or drawing class at your school if they offer it. It's sort of hard to learn from books; and they only teach you to draw in steps, which is really the only lesson you'll need from those "LEARN TO DRAW ANIME" books. Don't buy them. Instead, look for a book that teaches you to draw simple things, and become more and more advanced, rather than making a circle, and then filling that in, etc until you get a masterpiece.

Sorry, I don't have any specific advice. But Doukeshi is right - you don't need to have a perfectly steady hand in order to draw. Just practice sketching something simple as quickly as you can. Don't give up, either. It's hard to become really good at it, but I'm sure you can do it.[/size]

first of all you don't have to be perfectwhen i started i was horrible now im taking classes to help me so just do the best you can and soon you'll be awsome but if your looking for anime drawings by a how to draw manga book there's a bazillion of them if your looking for fantasy you should get a fantasy book and real things you should get a speaciel book for that too just do the best you can and soon you'll have it down

"Practice makes prefect."

What I do mostly is doodle or scetch. I have journals full of both, and spend alot of my free time doing. If you just sit down and spare some of your time, you'll learn new things. You don't really need someone to teach you to draw, you can do it all by yourself, and with a little practice you'll learn what not-to-do and what to do.

[SIZE=1]Ayokano is right, you [I]can[/I] teach yourself to draw. All you need is practice and reference. Make sure that you pay attention to what you are drawing. You can't just draw something without a reference, especially people, since everyone is different.

So,

Get yourself some references pay close attention to what you are drawing and take your time. It can take me at least 10 hours to complete a drawing, and thats just in pencil. If you take your time you will not make as many mistakes and you will be more aware of the detail.

Also remember that less is more. Don't try to include every single detail, just the important ones that define the image. Use shading instead of lines to create a solid and realistic image.

Ya know what, why don't post something you've done here and then we'll tell you where to go from there, since I don't really know how much of what I'm telling you you already know ^_~.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1]I find that, if you want to draw manga, going for the "How to Draw Manga" books is not the best thing to do. They're good if you already know the basics and want to advance, but at first, I'd say go ahead and copy pictures. That's what I done, oh, some four years ago, and from copying (almost constantly) I learnt the basics of shading and proportions.

Now I have my own style and can apply it to a position without needing a reference, and you'll eventually settle into the same pattern.

Also, I can't draw a straight line without sketching it. I find it impossible to do one, solid, long stroke, I have to sketch my lines before inking them.

So, yeah, copy first, then worry about drawing your own things. Also, don't expect too much at first, I've been drawing manga for about four years and I'm only just getting to the stage where I can comfortably say that I could draw a manga if I really tried.

I think Doukeshi's idea is great, show us a sketch and maybe we can help you further.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#656448][SIZE=1]Try to break things you wanna draw down to a collection of basic shapes (circles, ellipses and rectangles, for example). If you get their relative positions down right, you can play around with the images a bit longer than, say, copying the curves immediately. Then you can proceed to solid objects like cylinders and cones to add depth to your sketches. I cannot stress enough the importance of practice and patience; though talent counts, it's pretty useless when you don't have the skills, yeah?

Also, it doesn't hurt to take engineering drawing lessons (I'm serious!). It'll help you twist 3-D objects in your head and figure out how they would project onto 2-D paper.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#656448][SIZE=1] though talent counts, it's pretty useless when you don't have the skills, yeah?
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I don't really think you need an immediate talent to become good at something. I firmly believe that anyone can learn to do anything, even if they have a talent for it or not. You just might need to work harder than someone who is talented is all.

Anyone can do anything if they work hard enough at it.[/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
a good way how to draw is like teach your self..pretting soon i will be showing my art work on the site :animeswea and you just need to do tutorials..im not the best but you should look at an image on tutorials and keep on changing stuff on the pic till you can draw it with out traceing it(best way to start)also till you can draw it lookign at it and no errors then with out looking at it then with out seeing it and do it from memory and then keep on going from easy to hard picxtures,don't rush it took my a long time to just draw a head that i fianlly got,i spent 6 hours drawing heads last night,you really need a passion for drawing,like listen to music and go into the drawing world(ur own drawing meditation)then draw consantly even in math class i drew 3 pictures today..gl

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]I love to draw but i really cant lol and iv been doin a mixture of the things that everyone else has been suggesting really. I copy pictures, and with each picture i copy i teach myself a new angle or a new way of drawing faces etc... without really realising it, iv come a long way in the past 2 or 3 years, im still not to good at original pics but im getting there and i do that thing where you draw ovals and circles first to get a decent position and to help get the drawing in proportion. At risk of sounding corny, you just have to believe in yourself, it also doesnt hurt to get a few opinions from other people, thats why im goin to submit some art on the site, so i can get an unbiased view :p
Also the books arent very good (believe me iv tried them all :animeswea ) and while a class is good you dont really get taught your own style, thats something you hafta learn yourself ;) emm i hope thats helped a bit. Oh and about drawing in straight lines....unless you planning on drawing a plan for a room or something you really dont need too lol [/COLOR] [/FONT]