OtakuBoards

Different Versions of the PSX

RicoTranzrig

[color=orangered][size=1]Each version was produced in a production cycle.

And usually, the version changes with each cycle. This could be for a number of reasons: different parts being used, additional piracy controls etc...[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]I dunno...it feels like the people at Sony sold out the early buyers with overheating, slower load times (due to a weaker laser), choppy FMV streaming, and this issue with hangups on newer PSX games...
But I guess they had their reasons. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=orangered][size=1]They didn't do it deliberately. This is why they introduced different models.

When a manufacturing problem is detected in one batch, it's changed for the second batch.

In this case, it was improved laser/lense, improved cooling system etc.

That way, they can iron out any hardware problems.

I can remember when the PSX first came out and people were saying how unreliable and crappy it was because it kept breaking.

But now, the later versions of PSX (especially PSOne), have no such problems.[/color][/size]

Most of the time newer versions are to enhance it, like longer controller cords, less...screwing up of stuff, heh um....analog sticks and then dual shocks, but then they took out the i/o port! ><. Er...well I have an older version so my pro action replay works in that, but when I go to a friend's house I can't play any japanese/burnt games because his stupid PSX doesn't have a slot for it. They made a newer cd-gameshark that bypasses that, but still who cares about invincibility anyway? Blah...it really does suck for whoever buys a system when it first comes out, because later on they'll miss out on the good stuff. Like when sega Saturn came out, then they had that 3-game deal where u got vitua fighter 2, virtua cop 2, and....uh...I dunno some racing game ::shrugs::...or was that the deal when it first came out?...er....I forget, bad example, ack what a horrible way to end a post.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]I always thought they made different versions because they made them more advanced? :smoke: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah that's basicly it, they found out better things or things to improve on and they changed it. So there for they are more advanced in a way.