OtakuBoards

Sharon's stroke

DBZgirl88

[COLOR=#004a6f]If any of you have been keeping up with middle-eastern news, you'd know that Ariel Sharon has suffered a stroke and very possibly some brain damage, putting him out of commision. He probably can't come back to power.

I do not want to start an Isreal/Palestine debate here, but the reality is that palestinians do want an independant state at least.

Do you think Sharon's being out of power will hinder the creation of a Palestinian state? Or was he an obstacle to begin with?

Do you think Sharon's ill health is a good thing or bad thing?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]If any of you have been keeping up with middle-eastern news, you'd know that Ariel Sharon has suffered a stroke and very possibly some brain damage, putting him out of commision. He probably can't come back to power.

I do not want to start an Isreal/Palestine debate here, but the reality is that palestinians do want an independant state at least.

Do you think Sharon's being out of power will hinder the creation of a Palestinian state? Or was he an obstacle to begin with?

Do you think Sharon's ill health is a good thing or bad thing?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I know you're not a fan of him, but Sharon has been making strides towards peace -- without him or another strong leader in his stead, the area will degenerate into its former chaos. He was a good man.

I doubt a Palestinian state will be created because of his death. Palestinians may [i]want[/i] one, but Israel is not dishing it out from her borders. I would assume that anyone serving in Sharon's stead would have the same vision as he, and thusly would continue with his work.[/size]

[quote]I do not want to start an Isreal/Palestine debate here, but the reality is that palestinians do want an independant state at least.

Do you think Sharon's being out of power will hinder the creation of a Palestinian state? Or was he an obstacle to begin with?[/quote]

Do... do you read the news? Sharon's party [b][u]FAVOURS A PALESTINIAN STATE.[/u][/b]

Sharon is the best thing to ever happen to Palestine, and now that he's out of commission you shoudl hope and pray Olmert doesn't succeed Sharon. Olmert is MUCH rougher and MUCH less forgiving than Sharon is. If Olmert suceeds, Palestinians will look fondly back on the good ol' days with Sharon.

[quote]Do you think Sharon's ill health is a good thing or bad thing?[/quote]

A terrible thing. With his illness comes much more instability to the Middle East.

[color=crimson] It is a bad thing. Ariel Sharon may have transgressed against the plaestinians some time ago, but in the here and now he's advocating a Palestinian state and has withdrawn many settlements from Gaza. Simply put, he's the best damn chance right now of achieving statehood for the Palestinians, yet many palestinians chose to 'celebrate his stroke' with gunfire.

Here to the Middle East, a region that I wil never understand.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well given that Sharon recently created Kadima party looks set to win the next election, I would say that his absence will not have a hugely detrimental effect on the Middle East. I say that because Kadima itself is based upon Sharon's new views on how Israeli-Palestinian relations ought to be, which can been read [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadima]here[/url]. However a figure as politically influential as Ariel Sharon would no doubt have been the driving force behind Kadima and it's policies, and while it shares his outlook now it may not be so in the future.

On whether or not his illness is a good thing or a bad thing, a person falling ill is always a bad thing and a stroke is not something I would wish upon any person regardless of my feelings towards them.[/SIZE]