OtakuBoards

the boondocks: anime or not?

celoctopus

It's not anime because it's not from Japan.

It's American, and it's a damn good example of American animation, as far as I'm concerned. Though its character designs have a certain richness to them that is anime-influenced, as McGruder himself has stated, that doesn't make the series an anime.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']It's not anime because it's not from Japan.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thats all you really need to know if you want to know if something is anime or not. Mostly I though it would be obvious if one saw the Boondocks to be able to tell that it isn't anime. For those of you who watch what they say in the begining of the show. The Boondocks are actually from a comic strip which I have been reading for a wile now. Although when I saw it was going to come to Adult Swim. I was rather suprised to see how it turned out actually.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

People are under the impression that big eyes on chacters make it an anime. The TV was on the other day and my sister says "hey Teen Titans is on you should like it its an anime". She assumed that since anime chacters usually have big eyes that Teen Titans was an anime. Artstyle does not make it an anime an origin from Japan does. Im not saying Boondocks is bad their are good american cartoons but Boon docks is not anime.

Guest kuroinuyoukai
I don't think it's anime either. At least not anime that comes out of Japan but it's a darn good show!! :catgirl:

Hmm.. I guess it goes both ways. I don't think it's so much Anime for th storytelling style (You haven't seen anything out of Japan RESEMBLING this at all) more than the "where it's made" factor.

It's weird how you guys would say that's not anime, but I've seen alot of american artists prodouce what everyone seems to think is Manga. Like "Death : at death's door" and then seen some stuff that's not Manga that isn't illistrated in america, like FSC's(Yes I know Foo Swee Chin isn't Japannese, but alot of Korean and Chineese comics are still Manga) "Nightmares and Fairytales".

Korean comics are called manwha.
Chinese comics are called manhua.

I won't get into the MIC (manga-influenced comics) vs. OEL manga debate, but I don't think that stuff coming out of countries other than Japan should be labeled manga. Anyway, English-speakers already have a perfectly good term for sequential art. It's not like "comics" is a bad word, regardless of what the more elitist manga fans seem to think.

One can't really define anime by "storytelling style." Unimaginable verbal gymnastics would be required to lump Gatchaman, Chibi Maruko-chan, Gravitation, Gankutsuou, etc. in the same category.

~Dagger~

No, But almost every one of those has something compairable in the anime Genere. LOL. Boondocks doesn't.

I still think the descriptors "anime" and "manga" are missuesd alot. Although My drawings are heavily inspired by Anime and Manga, why is it that people concider me to draw in an "Anime" or "Manga" style when I'm quite obviously greek?

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter where it's from so much as the intent.

[quote name='Liam']No, But almost every one of those has something compairable in the anime Genere. LOL. Boondocks doesn't.[/quote]
Um, no. They don't. What do those shows have in common with each other that they don't have in common with The Boondocks? Nothing, except for the fact that they come from Japan.

And anime isn't a genre. Anime is animation, albeit animation with a specific nation of origin. But in any case, animation is a medium, not a genre.

~Dagger~

Guest Tucker |>4 |337
No matter what you call it, the boondocks isn't an anime! :animeangr
It's what some people would call an anime rip-off.

[quote name='HeartStopper']An anime is a japnese animation, since the boondocks are made in america and originated from a american comic strip, its not a anime, its a cartoon... a good cartoon[/quote]
I agree with that. (And it is indeed a good cartoon) What made me question whether it was an anime or not is that the animation or art style is very similar to Samurai Champloo's style. I heard it (Boondocks) was inspired from SC or something like that. (I also heard that the creators favorite anime series were FLCL and Samurai Champloo) Is any of this true?

[quote name='Byakuya']I agree with that. (And it is indeed a good cartoon) What made me question whether it was an anime or not is that the animation or art style is very similar to Samurai Champloo's style. I heard it (Boondocks) was inspired from SC or something like that. (I also heard that the creators favorite anime series were FLCL and Samurai Champloo) Is any of this true?[/quote][font=trebuceht ms][color=55555][url=http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=boondocks+mcgruder+anime&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8]There are quite a few pages that can answer your question[/url].

I kinda don't get why anime fans are desperate to label [i]anything[/i] they like as somehow anime or Japanese. Anyway, I guess that might be a topic for anothher thread.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Lore]I kinda don't get why anime fans are desperate to label [i]anything[/i'] they like as somehow anime or Japanese. Anyway, I guess that might be a topic for anothher thread.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Dont label a cartoon an anime just because you like it.Its ok to like cartoons just dont label it an anime when it obivously is'nt.