OtakuBoards

different styles

alchemist102

The How to Draw Manga books are for people learning the basics of manga art. If you bought them for copying the style, you've wasted some money.

Plus, I wouldn't try to copy someone else's style, mainly because won't do you any good for you artistically. Each artist has their own style, and you'll never be able to do an exact copy of it. Just try to invent your own, and if all you're doing is copying, just try to sit down and doodle a while. I would say copying has some practice value, but it won't help in the long run.

[color=darkblue][size=1]I don't quite agree with you, Ayokano.

Imitation can actually be very beneficial in helping develop your own style. While you may be jsut tracing at first, you can make modifications here and there, learning what does and does work. Also, tracing can help you learn body structure and perspective, in some ways.

I would suggest trying to pick up How to Draw Manga: Bodies & Anatomy to try and get you started on your own, though.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Lady Katana][color=darkblue][size=1]
I would suggest trying to pick up How to Draw Manga: Bodies & Anatomy to try and get you started on your own, though.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Actually, I think this book is horrid ^^;;; I'd recommend an artists' book on "normal" (real human) anatomy instead. You can apply the same thing to manga/anime drawing. It's a lot easier to draw a stylized version of the body when you understand what a real body should look like.

I also agree with what was said about imitation being helpful in developing your own style. I started out the same way ^^; once I got used to drawing a certain way, I slowly started changing things to develop my own style (for the record, I started out imitating the style of [url=http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=satoshi%20shiki&sa=N&tab=wi]Satoshi Shiki[/url]. My art looks nothing like his now XD; )

I also agree that imitating existing manga artists' styles do help a lot. I myself have never properly learnt how to draw manga from books or anything but I've imitated many styles. I started off with Sailor Moon style when i was in elementary school and then switched to various Shoujou manga style (you know those big-eyed, baby-faced styles), then Clamp, then gradually various Shonen manga styles like Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, HunterxHunter/YYH, Naruto, Bleach,Eva... Then eventually I decided to challenge what I consider the more beautiful and delicated styles of Yuki Kaori (Angle Sanctuary, Count Cain etc.) and Obata Takeshi (HikaGo, DeathNote). Now I am getting really good at imitation and I'm on my way of developing my own style. Although I think I need to practice drawing mecha and detailed backgrond as I'm not so good at those yet.

So all in all, I would suggest people to take a style they like and start imitating. It keeps you interested while really helps you to get better at the basics such as symmetry and balance etc.

[quote name='alchemist102']ive been imitating Katy Coope much shes pritty good in most ways she draws upside down pointed egg shape heads for the eyes she also draws her eyes like backwards j's is that a good place to start from.[/quote]

I'd say that Katy Coope isn't exactly the best role model for art. Depending on what you're looking at, some of her drawings can be rather off. Her style seems more amateur than Japanese artists. If you want to try a simple style, try mimicking Rumiko Takahashi or Hayao Miyazaki. It's easy to get a hold of reference of their art and although basic, both of their styles show clear knowledge of proportions and can be breathtaking when you least expect it.

For now just follow whatever works for you. Just be sure to study actual human anatomy, that can save you a lot of struggle when you're coming up with original poses.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular kind of style that you want to mimic, or are you just searching for ideas? (btw, when I started out I mostly drew like Toshihiro Ono if that helps)

ive always wanted to draw like the creator of inuyasha and full metal alchemist any advice on them? oh and Takeshi obata he draws for Hikaru no go.

[color=darkblue][size=1][b]Please use the Edit button to add something else to your post rather than double-posting in the future, thanks. -Lady K[/color][/size][/b]

[QUOTE]ive always wanted to draw like the creator of inuyasha and full metal alchemist any advice on them? oh and Takeshi obata he draws for Hikaru no go.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest you start from imitating Takahashi Rumiko(mangaka for Inuyasha & Ranma1/2) as her style is quite simple to imitate compared to the other two you've mentioned. In my opinion Obata Takeshi's style is quite difficult with lots of details, not to mention very realistic (especially in later parts of HikaGo and Death Note) compared to most of the mangaka, so I'd say you should practice with other styles before trying something like that. Another nice style to start with is Togashi Yoshihiro's (he's the mangaka for Yuyu Hakusho & HunterxHunter). Also I suggest you to do some realistic drawings sometime as well.

[color=darkblue][size=1]Rumiko Takahashi's manga are usually available wherever you can find manga to be sold. That includes places like Border's, Barnes & Noble and B. Dalton, just to name a few. You can also try buying Takahashi-sensei's books online at the Viz Store or at any other place where you can find manga for sale that's been licensed by Viz and they're all moderately priced, as well.[/color][/size]