OtakuBoards

Jack & Daxter help

gillmon72

• 2 weeks later...
Well, you didn't ask for help in any particular area, so I hope this does it for you.

[U]These items are part of your quest:[/U]

Precursor Orbs - These appear as mauve eggs with some writing on them. You can
trade these for power cells with various characters and the Oracles along the
way; generally 90 Orbs per power cell from people and 120 Orbs per power cell
from Oracles. Most Orbs are in plain sight, but some are contained in other
objects such as Metal Boxes or the Blue Eco Device.

Power Cells - These are your main objectives in the game. They appear as glowing
spheres with smaller spheres surrounding them. On the Progress Screen, you can
see which of the power cell objectives you have completed and which you have
discovered.

Scout Flies - These are small helicopter-like objects that were sent to each
area by Keira. They do not begin in plain sight; instead, you need to open the
red metal boxes they are in (Handstand Dive, Zoomer, Yellow Eco burst, Flut-Flut
Dash). In each location, there are 7 Scout Flies that can be found for another
power cell.

[U]Eco Types[/U]
There are at least 4 types of Eco in the game. Touching a piece of Blue, Red, or
Yellow Eco will add it to your Eco Meter. The Eco Meter steadily drains after
touching pieces of Eco and the effects (and quantity) of Eco are only for the
last color touched. (example: if you have a full meter of Blue Eco and hit a
piece of Yellow Eco, your meter will show only one piece's worth of Yellow Eco)

Blue Eco - The effects of Blue Eco are as follows: Jak's movement speed is
increased; nearby Orbs and green health crystals will glow blue then gravitate
toward Jak; activation of several varieties of Precursor artifacts and devices
(Orb Holder Devices, Precursor Doors, Jungle Temple Bridge, etc).

Red Eco - The effect of Red Eco is to increase attack power. Under the influence
of Red Eco, Jak can knock down a vertical bone bridge or kill a Skeleton Lurker
with one punch; however, his running speed is slightly reduced.

Yellow Eco - When Jak punches, a ball of Yellow Eco power will shoot from his
fist. His running speed is reduced.

Green Eco - When Jak opens most boxes & barrels and/or kill a lurker, small
pieces of Green Eco will emerge. Collect 50 small pieces of Green Eco to gain a
level back on Jak's health meter; if it's full, you can collect up to 50 pieces
in reserve. Occasionally, you will encounter a large piece of Green Eco, it is
worth 50 small pieces by itself. In two areas, there are Green Eco Vents
(Sentinel Beach and Precursor Basin), these will return your health to full with
50 pieces' worth of Green Eco in reserve. The only time Green Eco affects the
Eco Meter is in the Precursor Basin; the Green Eco Vent there is meant for
curing the Dark Eco infected plants.

Dark Eco - This form of Eco is toxic. Contact with a box of Dark Eco will cause
the box to explode and take 1 unit of health. Contact with the Dark Eco in the
Dark Eco pools in various locations will kill Jak.

White Eco - This form of Eco only exists at ONE place in the game, the Gol &
Maia's Precursor Robot boss fight. It appears as a small piece of the White Eco
cloud that forms above the Precursor Silo; its only use is to deliver the final
blow to the Precursor Robot. Its actual properties are a combination of Blue,
Red, Yellow, and Green Eco.

• 3 weeks later...
It's.....okay. My friend has it and the animation is top notch. The humor is really an asset to the game as well. However, I find it to be cliche'. I've even heard that there's a mine cart sequence in it! I just picture some guys sitting around a table brainstorming for ideas. Out of nowhere, one of them says, "Oh, I know! How about we add a mine cart level?"

Right there, I'd just have to slap him. Really, how it got into the game I have no idea.....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]It's.....okay. My friend has it and the animation is top notch. The humor is really an asset to the game as well. However, I find it to be cliche'. I've even heard that there's a mine cart sequence in it! I just picture some guys sitting around a table brainstorming for ideas. Out of nowhere, one of them says, "Oh, I know! How about we add a mine cart level?"

Right there, I'd just have to slap him. Really, how it got into the game I have no idea..... [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Well, having bought the game a few days ago (and just finished it), I can tell you that it is far from cliched.

I haven't enjoyed a platformer this much since Super Mario 64, and that's saying a lot -- I found this game to be more fun than Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and all the other good platformers out there.

It's truly inventive -- the way in which the worlds join together to form one single large world...and the many unique puzzles and quests make this game really interesting and derivative.

There are mine carts -- but these carts are used to transport you to two different sides of a kind of "hub" area in the volcano level.

So I wouldn't call it a mine cart level as such. To do so would be to oversimplify the game.

I would go so far as to say that while the Crash Bandicoot games were high quality -- Jak and Daxter proves that Naughty Dog is capable of Rare-like games.

This game is better than all the old Crash Bandicoot games combined...and then some.

So for those who enjoyed Mario 64 and who just generally enjoy platformers -- I can't recommend J&D enough. It's worth the investment.

If anything, it's good to see someone come along and make a truly fun platformer which doesn't take itself seriously and which doesn't totally conform to "platformer rules".[/size]

I'm actually very happy to hear that there are no mine cart levels. Anyway, I've only played the beginning and my initial impression was that the game wasn't doing anything new. It seemed like a scavanger hunt. Breaking boxes and spinning have also been done. However, I would probably feel differently if I actually played the game though. To say that I haven't even scratched the surface is a huge understatement.

[B]I'm actually very happy to hear that there are no mine cart levels. Anyway, I've only played the beginning and my initial impression was that the game wasn't doing anything new. It seemed like a scavanger hunt. Breaking boxes and spinning have also been done. However, I would probably feel differently if I actually played the game though. To say that I haven't even scratched the surface is a huge understatement. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Well, it's true that Jak & Daxter doesn't innovate on the same level as Super Mario 64 -- in many respects, the objectives in the game are to be expected.

But it's not the objectives themselves, it's the way in which Naughty Dog has designed the environments...there's a certain atmosphere. Let me put it this way; the game is never boring or frustrating on your first time round. There's always something new and unexpected -- sometimes you'll come across something which totally takes you by surprise, whether it be an enemy ambush or one of the game's weird jump pads which send you what feels like several miles into the air.

The entire game is just so well put together -- it's so seamless. And I like that, as the game doesn't seem to become boring or repetitive -- even when you're trying to capture all 7 bugs on one level.

So yeah, I guess it's a game that you have to spend a couple of hours with to really get into it -- but at the same time, a lot of people dont like platformers...so this game won't change that.[/size]

the problem with the game as is with most other ps2 games, is that it is too short, in 2 days not only had I completed the game, I got all 101 power cells and almost all of the precursor eggs, seen the secret ending (the one you see when you have 101 cells) but it was great fun while it lasted, perhaps surpassing the fun I had when I played mario64, if the game lasted longer then I would have gladly said that it is a mario64 beater, but at the moment, its just falls slightly short of that....

they better make the sequal longer, or I'll stab them with a spoon

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]Well I haven't played, but I was going to buy it once I got my PS2. From what I've heard, it's pretty kewl..... Is there any other games, like the style of Jak & Daxter? :toothy: [/B][/QUOTE]

I can't think of anything that resembled it too closely. I guess there's always Crash Bandicoot, but that's the same game you've been playing for years. Maybe Klonoa?

[B]

I can't think of anything that resembled it too closely. I guess there's always Crash Bandicoot, but that's the same game you've been playing for years. Maybe Klonoa? [/B][/QUOTE]
ok, erm..... what's Klonoa? I haven't heard of it, is it out in Australia?

Well, it's actually Klonoa 2, the first being a PSX game. I should have mentioned that. Anyway, it's a platformer by Namco. I haven't played Klonoa 2, but it's got a cel shaded look and plays more on a two dimensional style, kinda like the side view levels in Crash Bandicoot.