OtakuBoards

Commonwealth Games - Melbourne 2006

Redemption

[color=DarkOrange][b][size=1]Day 2 of the Commonwealth Games in Mebourne, Australia.

[i]The Medal Tally so far:[/i]

Australia - 3 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze
Scotland - 2 Gold, 0 Silver, 1 Bronze
England - 1 Gold, 3 Silver, 3 Bronze
Canada - 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
India - 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 0 Bronze

I know of two of our gold medals. Last night in the Validrome (biking track), two Aussies won gold - one guy, and one chicky.

GO AUSTRALIA!!![/color][/b][/size]

We are owning all on going into Day 6. For those that don't have a Medal tally handy, here it is. For space reasons I am only going to do the countries that hav ewon Golds

Country- G- S- B

[SIZE=1][COLOR=YellowGreen]AUSTRALIA [/COLOR] 42 38 32
[COLOR=Red]ENGLAND[/COLOR] 18 21 15
[COLOR=Sienna]INDIA [/COLOR] 12 8 3
[COLOR=Blue]SCOTLAND [/COLOR] 8 5 6
[COLOR=Red]CANADA[/COLOR] 7 16 14
[COLOR=Blue]SOUTH AFRICA 6 4 7[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]MALAYSIA 3 3 4[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black]NEW ZEALAND 2 4 9[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]NIGERIA 2 2 2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Green]JAMAICA 2 1 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]KENYA 1 2 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]SINGAPORE 1 1 3[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]CYPRUS 1 1 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]P.N.G 1 1 0[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]WALES 1 0 5[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]ISLE OF MAN 1 0 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]PAKISTAN 1 0 0 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]GHANA 1 0 0[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]SRI LANKA 1 0 0[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]TANZANIA 1 0 0[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1]What exactly [i]are[/i] the Commonwealth Games? I'm assuming it's an athletic competition amongst those of the former (or current) British Commonwealth/Empire, so I guess my real question is what type of games are played? And why isn't America allowed to play? They won their independence just like India, right?

Haha. Except no self-respecting American would compete in a [i]British[/i] sporting event.

jk.[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The Commonwealth Games are for countries that are a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. The United States is not part of the Commonwealth, as its head of state is the President...whereas Australia's head of state is Queen Elizabeth II.

Obviously we are independent and we have a Prime Minister who is the equivalent of your President. However, our "figurehead" head of state is the Queen. This is true of all Commonwealth countries.

Today the Commonwealth is more like the United Nations, in the sense that it's more of a close alliance of countries who share a history with the Monarchy.[/font]

Mwuahahahahahahahaha today I was flipping channels and I saw a swimming event I dunno wich one but alls I know is that the Aussie women SLAUGHTERED everyone else, crushed the old world record by something like 6 seconds :animeknow , I didn't know wth Commonwealth Games were but I was just checkin out the women in the tight suits at first xD and then I watched the race lmao. Then I saw teh women xD THEY ARE HUGE LOL! Just rip your arm off in an arm wrestling match and they'll eat it.. Rawwrr x) Ya and I think Canada came in third.. yay Canada w00t w00t.

[color=dodgerblue]lmao! Indeed. GO THE AUSSIES!!! :D *le sai* Anyhow.. the tally update:

[/color][color=blue]C[/color][color=red]o[/color][color=blue]u[/color][color=red]n[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=red]r[/color][color=blue]y[/color] - Gold - Silver - Bronze

[color=blue]Australia[/color] 54 - 48 - 43
[color=red]England[/color] 21 - 26 - 21
[color=blue]India [/color]16 - 11 - 7
[color=red]Canada [/color]11 - 22 - 16
[color=blue]Scotland [/color]9 - 6 - 9
[color=red]South Africa[/color] 9 - 4 - 10
[color=blue]Jamaica [/color]5 - 2 - 2
[color=red]New Zealand [/color]3 - 5 - 12
[color=blue]Malaysia [/color]3 - 3 - 4
[color=red]Wales [/color]3 - 1 - 7
[color=blue]Nigeria [/color]2 - 3 - 2
[color=red]Kenya [/color]2 - 3 - 1
[color=blue]Singapore [/color]1 - 2 -3
[color=red]Cyprus [/color]1 - 1 - 1
[color=blue]Papua New Guinea [/color]1 - 1 - 0
[color=red]Isle of Man [/color]1 - 0 - 1
[color=blue]Pakistan [/color]1 - 0 - 1
[color=red]Ghana [/color]1 - 0 - 0
[color=blue]Sri Lanka [/color]1 - 0 - 0
[color=red]Tanzania [/color]1 - 0 - 0
[color=blue]Uganda [/color]1- 0 - 0
[color=red]Bahamas [/color]0 - 2 - 0
[color=blue]Nth. Ireland [/color]0 - 2 - 0
[color=red]Cameroon [/color]0 - 1 - 2
[color=blue]Bangladesh [/color]0 - 1 - 0
[color=red]Malta [/color]0 - 1 - 0
[color=blue]Nauru[/color] 0 1 0
[color=red]Trinidad & Tobago [/color]0 - 0 - 2
[color=blue]Fiji [/color]0 - 0 - 1
[color=red]Namibia[/color] 0 - 0 - 1
[color=blue]Seychelles[/color] 0 - 0 - 1

[color=dodgerblue]YATTA![/color]

[quote name='Shinjitsu][color=blue]Australia[/color'] 54 - 48 - 43 [/color][/quote]

[color=DarkOrange][size=1][b]We are kicking butt! Yays!!

Anyway, the two Squash finalists from Australia come from the city that only half an hour away from where I live! I was so proud! And also, the girl who won the 75kg weightlifting is also from the city is the opposite direction from the first. I was like 'Oh yeah, oh yeah!!"[/color][/size][/b]

[QUOTE=Reiku][color=DarkOrange][size=1][b]We are kicking butt! Yays!!

Anyway, the two Squash finalists from Australia come from the city that only half an hour away from where I live! I was so proud! And also, the girl who won the 75kg weightlifting is also from the city is the opposite direction from the first. I was like 'Oh yeah, oh yeah!!"[/color][/size][/b][/QUOTE]
[color=dodgerblue]lol, well the closest any of the Aussie competitors live to me would be like... Sydney (2 hours, lol). But I was impressed with Jana Pittman today! She won the 400m in a record time of 53.82 seconds :D [/color]