OtakuBoards

Body-Swapping, Crossdressing & Gender-Bending Anime/Manga

Guest R-21

I'm looking for a few manga and anime that have the character dressing up as a woman, man who turns into a woman or when a man and woman switch bodies. Anybody got a few suggestions?

Few Examples:

I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl
Ranma 1/2
Your & My Secret

For manga I would go with Hana-Kimi. A girl cross-dresses and goes to an all boys school in Japan to be near her sports idol. At first she just admires his athletic skills, but it turns into a crush. It's a romantic comedy with a good mix of characters. The pace is sort of slow, but you don't get bored reading it.

I have never actually read it, but there is another manga called Kill Me, Kiss Me that looks cute. Two practically identical cousins--1 boy, 1 girl-- switch places so the girl can be near her idol/crush. I think this is also a romantic comedy. The plot sounds similar to Hana-Kimi.(Almost exactly the same.)

[FONT=Georgia]You could try Kaori Yuki's [i]Angel Sanctuary[/i]. In it, the main character Setsuna (through events which I will not spoil for you!) ends up in the body of a voluptuous woman, much to his discomfort. And there are other characters who also challenge the boundaries of gender. It's a great series, with a really interesting and involving plot, and characters you really come to care for, I strongly recommend it :catgirl: [/FONT]

[quote name='Touchstone][FONT=Georgia]You could try Kaori Yuki's [i]Angel Sanctuary[/i']. In it, the main character Setsuna (through events which I will not spoil for you!) ends up in the body of a voluptuous woman, much to his discomfort. And there are other characters who also challenge the boundaries of gender. It's a great series, with a really interesting and involving plot, and characters you really come to care for, I strongly recommend it :catgirl: [/FONT][/quote]
Definitely pick that one up. Few series are as close in terms of art and story-telling. :box: But you have to be open-minded to enjoy it. It's my favorite manga, but most of my friends won't read it since the story deals with touchy subjects. Also, the focal point isn't mainly about gender swapping, so you have to read a more complicated plot than teenage girls getting crushes on famous guys. :animesmil

Guest animejunkie89
[QUOTE=R-21]I'm looking for a few manga and anime that have the character dressing up as a woman, man who turns into a woman or when a man and woman switch bodies. Anybody got a few suggestions?

Few Examples:

Ranma 1/2
Your & My Secret[/QUOTE]
Ghost In The Shell......Volume One Season One Episode Two......Or You Could Watch Fruits Basket.....Kind Of Like That

In Turn A Gundam, the main character dresses as a pretty young woman in some episode. He has disguised as a female MS pilot for some political reason.

The manga Five Stars Stories has one of the most interesting cross-gender main character. Amaterasu-no-Mikado is the god created the god who created Joker galaxy. Amaterasu-no-Mikado is born without gender and emotion. To fit into the "human" world, he is physically splitted into several individuals, in both male and female. One of his split Ladios Sopp can be either a male or a female, depending on his choice. Female Sopp and male Sopp have very different personalities as well. Amaterasu is usually refered as male. He is living as 5 individuals with 3 males and 2 females.

[quote]Definitely pick that one up. Few series are as close in terms of art and story-telling. But you have to be open-minded to enjoy it. It's my favorite manga, but most of my friends won't read it since the story deals with touchy subjects. Also, the focal point isn't mainly about gender swapping, so you have to read a more complicated plot than teenage girls getting crushes on famous guys. :animesmil [/quote]

I forgot to mention that :animeswea The series really doesn't shock me at all, but it does deal with incest, which is a deal breaker for many when they set out to read it. It's done in a very touching and heart breaking way though, and you really end up identifying with the characters and want them to be together. The plot [i]is[/i] really complex, dealing with the levels of Heaven and Hell, angels and demons, the boundaries between good and evil. But it's certainly well worth it!

I'm surprised that Hana from Tokyo Godfathers hasn't been mentioned here. She has to be the single most realistic, three-dimmensional, and just downright loveable portrayal of a transsexual character in any film ever.

And then there's the obvious mention in the cross-dressing catagory, Haku from Naruto. I know I'm not the only one who thought that he was a girl when I first saw him.

Fruits Basket has a few cross-dressing characters as well. Try watching episode 23, the one with Ritsu.

The only body swap in any anime that I can think of would be in Ghost in the Shell. When it's done in most American cartoons it ultimately feels cliche. Justice League Unlimited is the only one to do it right.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]I haven't seen that much anime with cross-dressing people, but I know of some. As it's been mentioned before, I've seen some in Fruits Basket... as where Yuki dresses up like a girl in a dress during the Onigiri sale and Ritsu during where he's introduced. To tell you the truth, I actually think he does look better in the kimono than in pants... he's cute. n.n[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=R-21]I'm looking for a few manga and anime that have the character dressing up as a woman, man who turns into a woman or when a man and woman switch bodies. Anybody got a few suggestions?

Few Examples:

Ranma 1/2
Your & My Secret[/QUOTE]

Hav u tried Fushigi Yugi/curious play?
Theres tis 1 guy who desses up as a girl....