OtakuBoards

PS2 Hardware help

Snow

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Snow [/i]
[B]Hey, I remember hearing about this harddrive attachment thing for the PS2 that cut loadtimes on alot of games, especially RPGs. I was wondering if anyone knows what this thing is, cause I can't remember. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=orangered][size=1]The PS2 HDD is now available in Japan and will probably be available in the USA next year.

It does cut load times to some extent, but not very much. Final Fantasy X is compatible with the drive, but you have to "install" the game first. Some load times are improved, but once again, the improvement is maybe .25 of a second.

There seems to be this belief that hard drives will dramatically speed up loading. Microsoft said that with Xbox, there would be no loading times at all.

However, most Xbox games load significantly slower than GameCube games (some GCN games have zero load times in most areas). This demonstrates that loading times aren't directly tied to the HDD itself, but are related more specifically to the console's RAM and its internal memory bandwidth.

[/color][/size]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]wait is there a loading time w/ LM?... and wave race the loading time is only cause they are showing how big the waves and weather is gonna be... i dont see a loading time actually i see help ;)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

GC does have the shortest loading time, if any at all...hmm...but between the X-box and Ps2...who's has shorter loading times?

I think the hard drive will be mostly used for the online service (looks more like a personal computer interface). I'm not sure what the features will be but from what I've seen it looks like it'll put that HD to good use.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]GC does have the shortest loading time, if any at all...hmm...but between the X-box and Ps2...who's has shorter loading times?

I think the hard drive will be mostly used for the online service (looks more like a personal computer interface). I'm not sure what the features will be but from what I've seen it looks like it'll put that HD to good use. [/B][/QUOTE]

From what i've heard, you use it to download the software to play on-line, and basicly to use like a computer hard drive, to store stuff.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]It also stores music, pictures, and v/e-mail...once you install the HD...it upgrades the firmware version of your PS2 and I believe the system startup screen looks different... [/B][/QUOTE]

Swe...swe...swe...SWEEEEEET!!!! Man that sounds so cool, i am definatly gonna buy one now ! :)