OtakuBoards

PS1 RPG's

EvilRubberDucky

If you're like me, you love PS1 games more than most of the PS2 games. I am a big fan of games like Star Ocean, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Dragoon. Sure, the graphics aren't top-notch, but are graphics everything? When it comes to video games, I only like games with a plot and a point, thus why I don't really like FPS games very much, or games such as Tekken or something.

But back to the topic, I remember when I first played Star Ocean 2. I was like "Dude, this is awesome. The graphics are great!". That was when I was little and couldn't give a damn about the storyline. Now that I have aged a little since then, I have also grown more appreciative of RPG's. I, personally, think that Star Ocean 2 is better than Star Ocean 3, only because I believe the storyline is better. Star Ocean 3 didn't "wow" me like I thought. I thought it was going to be even better than SO2, because since it was better graphics, I thought better storyline. But no. But then again, this is my personal opinion.

I just noticed that people don't seem to appreciate the older video games. I mean, people don't even talk about Super Nintendo's, Nintendo's, the OLD gameboy's, and Sega Genesis very much anymore. So I believe it is time for all of us to bow our heads for the video games that brought us the awesome games we have today. :bow: Plus, I am interested in all of your thoughts on old PS1 video games. :animesmil

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I am all about my PS1 games. In fact, I probably own more PS1 games than PS2 games, and I have a PS2... I love my PS1 games, I have a bunch of PS1 RPGs and adaptations of SNES RPGs. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I have PS1 games like Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IV, etc. etc. etc. These RPGs may not have that great of graphics but I absolutely love the plot, storylines, and character development. It keeps me interested. Awesome graphics are good but if the game doesn't have a good storyline or even purpose then I get bored either way.

I wish they would make a PS1 version of some other SNES games like Legend of Gaea, Earth Bound, or Secret of Mana. Once again, bad graphics, but some of the best games ever.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Maneki Neko][COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I am all about my PS1 games. In fact, I probably own more PS1 games than PS2 games, and I have a PS2... I love my PS1 games, I have a bunch of PS1 RPGs and adaptations of SNES RPGs. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I have PS1 games like Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IV, etc. etc. etc. These RPGs may not have that great of graphics but I absolutely love the plot, storylines, and character development. It keeps me interested. Awesome graphics are good but if the game doesn't have a good storyline or even purpose then I get bored either way.

I wish they would make a PS1 version of some other SNES games like Legend of Gaea, Earth Bound, or Secret of Mana. Once again, bad graphics, but some of the best games ever.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I love my PS1 games. I don't have a lot, but I treasure them. I seriously want to buy the Final Fantasy's 1-9. I heard that VII was one of the best ones, but I've only played FFX, FFX-2, and FFXI, so I wouldn't know. I heard that the first Star Ocean was really good, and Grandia I, but I can't find them ANYWHERE! I can't even find Star Ocean 1 on Ebay! :eek:

[font=trebuchet ms]I have a decent list. :)

My favorite PS1 game by far, and what I consider to be my favorite game period... is Vagrant Story. It's not completely an RPG, but it has magic, strategy, item collecting, etc. and it's made by Square. I love the combat and the customization in the game, and the story is just badass. It's a shame no one really bought it, but trust me on this, if you find a copy, buy it. You won't be dissappointed.

I'm also a big fan of Legend of Legaia, which incorporated a fresh combat system which never really gets dull. You can summon some of the monsters you defeat, as well as utilize a different combo you select by pressing different directions. You can link special moves together and soforth, it's really fun and relieves the nausea of just pressing "attack" over and over.

Chrono Cross would be next, but everyone's played that game and it's been mentioned here a few times already.

I liked how certain things in Grandia were done, such as when you run by fragile objects on tables. There was a lot of humor in the game, and it never got really dark in mood at all from what I played. I never finished it because there was a cutscene that would come up at a certain point and freeze the game before it could even play. I also loathed the combat system. It wasn't a horrible game, though.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is also great if you enjoyed the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games. I haven't played all the way through it yet, but it's a pretty great game so far.[/font]

Well sure ps1 had a few good games. But None of them are of the calibur of the best PS2 games. I mean come on. Whats the best ps1 game? Well my favorite was. Tekken 3. It was a fun and innovative fighting game. Now compare that to the new tekken game. Well they don't compare to each other at beacause the ps2 tekken is next gen(tekken 4 is what i am refering 2 dont get me started on 5). But none of that matters beacasue XBOX IS BETTER THAN ALL OFF THEM HA HA HA HAAAAAA.

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1]Yes, SO2 rocked everyone's socks and its built-in Iron Chef competition beats the TV version to the ground.

I haven't touched my PS2 for months now 'cause I found myself being drawn back to my old grey box (PS). Final Fantasy VIII, Lunar:SSS and Legend of Dragoon are but a few RPG titles I'm trying to finish (and beat one more time). They're probably old-school by today's definition but's it's healthy to play something familiar once in a while.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well sure ps1 had a few good games. But None of them are of the calibur of the best PS2 games. I mean come on. Whats the best ps1 game? Well my favorite was. Tekken 3. It was a fun and innovative fighting game. Now compare that to the new tekken game. Well they don't compare to each other at beacause the ps2 tekken is next gen(tekken 4 is what i am refering 2 dont get me started on 5). But none of that matters beacasue XBOX IS BETTER THAN ALL OFF THEM HA HA HA HAAAAAA.[/quote]
Well, I mean, in it's time, the PS1 was the shiznit. And this is [i]RPG[/i]s, and Tekken does not qualify. So to ask you a question to your first question: What's the best PS1 RPG game?

And Xbox is only better to you. It's an opinion. Not factual. I, personally, do not like Xbox because I do not like their games except for Halo 1 & 2. That is it. Those are the only games I actually like for Xbox. Other games are fighter games, FPS's and games I don't like. RPG's take my game cake, Halo takes my game cupcake.

[quote name='EvilRubberDucky]Well, I mean, in it's time, the PS1 was the shiznit. And this is [i]RPG[/i']s, and Tekken does not qualify. So to ask you a question to your first question: What's the best PS1 RPG game?[/quote]
Well you did say PS1 old videogames, but I gotcha.

[quote name='EvilRubberDucky']And Xbox is only better to you. It's an opinion. Not factual. I, personally, do not like Xbox because I do not like their games except for Halo 1 & 2. That is it. Those are the only games I actually like for Xbox. Other games are fighter games, FPS's and games I don't like. RPG's take my game cake, Halo takes my game cupcake.[/quote]
LOL.... takes your cupcake.... gotta use that one.

Anyways... I didn't really have much of a stash of PS games back then, in fact my stash was even lower than the number of N64 games that I had. (5) I have touch my ps2 recently because that's what I use to play my PS games now. I haven't had much love for games as of late though. I guess you can say this is because none of them are pleasing me nowdays. (Even boiling down to the point to where I may sell everything.)

But back to the question at hand..... Favorite / best RPG for PS. Honestly, I don't really care for them. But I do however like Final Fantasy VIII. Some parts of me wish I never sold that game, but what's done is done. I am playing FFVII at the moment. (Trying to give it another chance and look past the dated graphics)

Yea I realized yall were talkin bout rpg's too late.(i forgot beacause it takes a really long time to reply on a dial up connection) But anyway comparing the old ps1 rpg's to the ps2's is still no contest. Even leaving graphics out most ps2 rpg's are betteeer. Final Fantasyt 9 was my favorite final fantsy on the ps1. And FF10 is my fav on Ps2. FF10 was much more fun and innovative. I could go on for a bit but I will not. The point is as the sony improved there rpg's improved. I mean sure some of the storyies from Ps1 rpg's were a lil beter but thats the only thing they have over Ps2.

[color=#4B0082]Well, if you ask me, Final Fantasy IV Advance and Chrono Trigger are better than everything I've played on newer consoles. Admittedly, that's not a ton, but I find very few newer games that can match my favorites among the SNES classics. From what I've seen/read about it, Dragon Quest VIII might manage it, but I still need to play that one. . . .

Anyway, my favorite PS1 RPG would probably be Chrono Cross. The battle/magic system was really fun and creative, and it kept me interested throughout the entire game. That, combined with a lack of random battles--being able to sneak past enemies was great--made the game fun to play all the way through.

I didn't think the storyline lived up to Chrono Trigger's, but as a sequel, it was interesting to learn more about the Chrono universe. Wanting to learn more about how the game tied in with Chrono Trigger was also something that kept me playing and eagerly awaiting each new revelation of the plot.

As well, the multitude of playable characters and branching paths provides a lot of variety and replay value to the game. Each time you play the game, you can use different characters, look for different story branches, and try to get a different ending. And with New Game + you can keep your characters' progress too.[/color]

[color=crimson]I have an unhealthy attachment to Legend of Mana. I'm not sure if it's the sprite graphics, the humorous dialogue, the open character-creation, the combat system or what- it's just a ton of fun to play through to me. It's worth a quick spin if you want something amusing and genuinely entertaining.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the two Suikodens- Suikoden 2 specifically is usually considered to be one of the best RPGs on the PS1, rivaling that of CC/FF7. Unfortunately they are rare enough that I think Suikoden 2 is still worth about 30 bucks used if you're lucky, lol.

I rarely care about graphical quality and I find some of the popular PS2's RPGs don't appeal to me as much from their dialogues/stories. They seem to be so heavily dripped in poorly-written/translated/voiced angst that I can't stomach more than an hour or two of their crappy stories in a sitting. Star Ocean 3 and Grandia 3 were particularly difficult to play, lol. FF10 was pretty bad too.

Redeeming the PS2's RPG library are such jewels as Dragon Quest VIII, Growlanser Generations and Nocturne. Those are just [i]great[/i] RPGs, period.[/color]

Copied and pasted from my post in the "Good RPGs" thread in this section:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming most people felt that the era of really great RPGs ended with the release of the former next gen systems, i won't discuss too many PS1 RPGs...but for most RPG fans it speaks for itself that the PS1 harbored some of the absolute best...such as many installments of the great Final Fantasy series (1-9 can be found on the PS1), my second favorite RPG of all time Xenogears...Square's masterpiece that dosen't begin with Final or end in Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross can be found on the PS1...Trigger speaks for itself amongst the older RPG fans, it obviously revolutionized the 16-bit RPG and offered a timeless and captivating story.

Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, Lunar SSSC, Lunar 2, Persona are just a few non-square titles for the PS1 that should make every RPG fan's honors list.

Virtually anything with the Squaresoft/Square-enix or Atlus brands are worth playing simply by that criteria alone. Some are better than others, and each may have 1 or 2 duds (IMO Saga frontier could have used some work), but the overwhelming majority leads to a good to great experience. But of course they aren't the only ones who can put out a good RPG.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made mention of pretty much the bulk of the elite in the PS1 category. Assuming pretty much everyone has played FF7, I would reccomend strongly to anyone that hasen't played many PS1 RPGs and who want to experience the absolute best to play Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Lunar: SSSC above the others. But they certainly aren't the only ones worth playing. I own 40+ PS1 RPGs, and have played and beaten around 50 (the only ones i've played pretty far into but don't recall beating for whatever reason are Thousand Arms and Legend of Mana) and out of the whole bunch there was probably 2 or 3 i didn't like too much. PS1 RPGs overall score a 9.8 out of 10 from me.

Guest Stafal-chan
[quote name='EvilRubberDucky']I love my PS1 games. I don't have a lot, but I treasure them. I seriously want to buy the Final Fantasy's 1-9. I heard that VII was one of the best ones, but I've only played FFX, FFX-2, and FFXI, so I wouldn't know. I heard that the first Star Ocean was really good, and Grandia I, but I can't find them ANYWHERE! I can't even find Star Ocean 1 on Ebay! :eek:[/quote]

how many Star Ocean games are there??? i've only played one for the PS2....Star Ocean Till the End of Time i think was it's title...^_^

I prefer many old games to more modern ones. My favorite PS1 rpg Isn't a true RPG, but does have RPG elements to it. This game, Tombi! (tomba! to those of you in yankland) is an RPG/platformer/action game hybrid. In terms of the best 'old' RPG, I don't think anything will be able to top the original final fantasy.

[quote name='Lord Dante']I prefer many old games to more modern ones. My favorite PS1 rpg Isn't a true RPG, but does have RPG elements to it. This game, Tombi! (tomba! to those of you in yankland) is an RPG/platformer/action game hybrid. In terms of the best 'old' RPG, I don't think anything will be able to top the original final fantasy.[/quote]
OMFG another Tomba fann. Dude Tomba was sooooooooooooooo cool. I loved that game. I can't beleive there is another fan. Gahh.

Hehe, i remember Tomba. I had a demo of it, and it made me want to rent it. I eventually bought it after that because i thought it was fun as hell. Not one of those games where id take to a deserted island with me over all others but a fun game nonetheless.

And stafal-chan - Star Ocean: The second story is the one on PS1 that everyone is talkin about. It is the sequel to the first Star Ocean that came out for the SNES. Not an american release however.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']OMFG another Tomba fann. Dude Tomba was sooooooooooooooo cool. I loved that game. I can't beleive there is another fan. Gahh.[/quote]
Yeah. Tomba's great. Bloody rare though, It took me three years of searching to find it after getting hooked on the demo.

[quote name='Stafal-chan']how many Star Ocean games are there??? i've only played one for the PS2....Star Ocean Till the End of Time i think was it's title...^_^[/quote]
There are three Star Ocean games if I am correct. You should seriously try SO2 because it's loads of fun, even though the graphics aren't the greatest. You can get it on eBay for rather cheap. The price varies. I've tried looking for SO2 in stores like EB Games and Gamestop, and they were always sold out of them. Your best bet would be eBay. That's where I got mine :catgirl:

[quote name='Lord Dante']Yeah. Tomba's great. Bloody rare though, It took me three years of searching to find it after getting hooked on the demo.[/quote]
Yea my buddy had the bootleg version and he burned it for me. I never got too far beacause the dis broke and he left the country. So im tombaless.... Sigh. Anyway that game was the best platformer ever.

I don't own that many video games myself...and most of the games for the PS1 I do own are all RPGs.

Unless you count Zelda as an RPG(is it considered an RPG?)... my very first RPGs for the PSone were Legend of Legaia and Final Fantasy IX. Since they were my first they hold a lot of sentimental value to me. =) Legend of Legaia, in my opinion, had a more engaging battle system than Final Fantasy did and I've played just about every Final Fantasy released. I loved how you could create various combos in battle and it was fun trying to discover new ones on your own. The storyline of Legaia was pretty cookie-cutter (like Final Fantasy) but I still love it all the same. The little mini games were kinda fun too...like the dancing contest and the Baku fighter. *ahem* FFIX...I liked that one for the end of the game...cute ending. =) I have to admit I can be a sucker for that kinda crap.

Hrm...I've played FFVII and FFVIII but I'm not so fond of them. FFVII fans please don't hurt me but I've played VII over and over again and I honestly don't see why people think it's so cool and please don't try to explain it to me either! lol! I'll figure it out someday and I already get flamed enough by my friends!

Legend of Dragoon was another fun game to play. The dialogue was...lacking, but the battle system was fun...sometimes a pain. I'm replaying this one again...*shakes fist at divine dragon*

I've played Chrono Cross but it's been a long time and I remember very little of it except for the fact that I loved the music. =)

Never played Suidoken or Suidoken 2. They're hard to find and I really want to play them. =( I also want to play FF6...my best friend says that's the best FF she's ever played.

Guest Stafal-chan
[quote name='EvilRubberDucky']There are three Star Ocean games if I am correct. You should seriously try SO2 because it's loads of fun, even though the graphics aren't the greatest. You can get it on eBay for rather cheap. The price varies. I've tried looking for SO2 in stores like EB Games and Gamestop, and they were always sold out of them. Your best bet would be eBay. That's where I got mine :catgirl:[/quote]

really?? hmm...whcih one did i pick up the third one?? haha ar they all related in anyway because the storyline didn't seem like a sequel to anything...

Yeah the PS 1 had some pretty great RPG's like FFVII-IX and Chrono Cross.

But one of my favorites is a game that seems to be mostly overlooked: Vagrant Story.
Unlike most of the Squaresoft RPG's...it was more of a third person dungeon adventure game, with RPG elements added into it.
What really made me like this game was the art style used and the overall design of the characters and environments. The direction of the game's cinematics was also done very well.
Also the battle system, while a bit annoying at sometimes, was pretty cool: you could attack certain body parts of your enemies and string together massive combos and counterattacks. If your timing was right you could chain together an infinite combo if you wanted.

All in all it was a solid game, with great design. Its a shame they never made a sequel.

Ah yeah...I nearly forgot Vagrant Story... :animeswea I rented it a few times. Very fun, but I never got all the way through it. I can't find it anymore. I'd ask where one can find old games for reasonable prices but I know that more than likely everyone here will tell me to turn to e-bay or some online vendor. =P

[quote name='Stafal-chan']really?? hmm...whcih one did i pick up the third one?? haha ar they all related in anyway because the storyline didn't seem like a sequel to anything...[/quote]
[I][FONT=Times New Roman]Till The End Of Time is the 3rd one, yes. I don't think they are all that related to each other, except for maybe the characters because they are...rather similar. Not completely.

Sometimes I wish Square Enix or Square Soft would make a Star Ocean game. Like a fourth one or something. Because they are generally really good at storylines and graphics all the same. Because the Final Fantasy games are phenomenal. Kingdom Hearts was lacking, but it was fun all the same.[/FONT][/I]

Guest Stafal-chan
[QUOTE=EvilRubberDucky][I][FONT=Times New Roman]Till The End Of Time is the 3rd one, yes. I don't think they are all that related to each other, except for maybe the characters because they are...rather similar. Not completely.

Sometimes I wish Square Enix or Square Soft would make a Star Ocean game. Like a fourth one or something. Because they are generally really good at storylines and graphics all the same. Because the Final Fantasy games are phenomenal. Kingdom Hearts was lacking, but it was fun all the same.[/FONT][/I][/QUOTE]

hee hee yeah except Star Ocean had some really long cut scenes of just talking which got a little boring ...