OtakuBoards

National Anthem

The13thMan

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]I was watching the Daily Show last night and it showed a bit where some hispanics were singing the national anthem in Spanish. It then showed president Bush commenting on it. He said that he believed the national anthem should be sung in English.

I saw this on the Daily Show so of course the truth could be a little off from the way it was presented. So if what actually happened was a little off from that then please tell me.

I actually mentioned it to a friend this morning and he said that he might've heard that they were changing the words up a bit when they sang it.

So anyways, here's the question. Do you think the national anthem should be sung exclusively in English?

My opinion is a big no. But i'll keep my reasoning to myself until a couple of other people voice their opinions first.

Later.

[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]If you can speak English, then sure.
I don't really know why anyone would want to sing the national anthem of another country if you can't speak their language but...

I don't think it should be "exclusively" English though. I mean in my Spanish class, the teacher would put up and overhead and we would say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish.

Although it is not right to completely alter words.Spanish and English translate very roughly sometimes, so rephrasing something to make it intelligable to Spanish speakers is okay.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[FONT=Georgia]It is fact that the words of our National Anthem are set to the tune of a British drinking song. Most people are shocked and horrified when I say this, but it's the truth.

I don't see why it can't be sung in Spanish. English isn't our national language, it's just the most predominantly spoken. As long as the message is the same I don't care-every translation isn't an exact copy of the original. It can't be, because some ideas can't even be expressed in other languages. They were just taking pride in their heritage and their country at the same time. It's pretty cool. [/FONT]

[COLOR=Sienna]Why don't they just do what we do in Canada? French and English are the two predominant languages, so we kinda stuck them both together and got this:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Although, in most English parts of the country, the French part is sung in English, it's still a nice concept to have it as the official anthem.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]D***....it's no fun when everybody agrees. ^J^

Well....uhhhh.....i agree with you guys. And yes, our national anthem is a drinking song. If you go to a pub in England and hear the national anthem you'll probably get a bunch of drunk brits raising their mugs and singing along.

Later.

[/COLOR] [/FONT]

Guest Stafal-chan
^_^ umm hee hee guess i'll be the first to disagree ^_^ i don't think thenational anthem should be sung in spanish. it was written (while yes to a brittish drinking tune O_O that was rather surprising to hear ^_^) in english...and it's a big thing in our country so why should there be a spanish version...part of going to another country is learning the language mainly spoken there ^_^ so if it's a patriotic song about america..i think it should be sung in english not spanish and that spanish people should learn the english version ^_^ not there own version...

I really don't care what language people want to sing it in...as long as it all translates to the same thing what does it matter? *shrugs* If people really want to be picky then why don't we all just sing it in Latin? Isn't that supposed to be the univeral language?...my father keeps telling me that anyway.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]
Actually I agree with Ashwolf. Does it really matter what language you sing the National Anthem or the Pledge of Alligence? I mean what did Bush(y) expect? America is supposedly made up of different cultures right? Because America is made up of different cultures, you should know that different languages comes along with culture, which means things will be converted in different languages. In my opinion, it's all okay as long as what you say in your native tongue is equally parallel to the true meaning.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna]Why don't they just do what we do in Canada? French and English are the two predominant languages, so we kinda stuck them both together and got this:

Il sait porter la croix.

Although, in most English parts of the country, the French part is sung in English, it's still a nice concept to have it as the official anthem.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I was just about to comment on that as well.
I really don't think there should be a big caffuffle about it, here, generally the Canadian anthem is sung in English (I don't even have the French part memorized, I only know the English), but when you have a HUGE French speaking part of the nation (ie. Quebec), I don't see the big deal in letting them sing the national anthem in their language.
Same goes for the US, illegal or not, there are ALOT of Spanish speaking people in the country. They've allready made their version of the anthem (braught on by the heated immigration debate?), so why not have two versions of the national anthem?

One argument that could be made is the fact that there are so many immigrants from other countries other than Mexico in the US (and there are lots of ethnicities in Canada too), and if you had every prominent ethnicity singing their national anthem, you'd have a heck of alot of versions of the song.

I don't really know what point I'm getting at, but I just think that it's not a very big deal. Either way, they are going to sing that song proudly.

[QUOTE=Touchstone][FONT=Georgia]It is fact that the words of our National Anthem are set to the tune of a British drinking song. Most people are shocked and horrified when I say this, but it's the truth.

I don't see why it can't be sung in Spanish. English isn't our national language, it's just the most predominantly spoken. As long as the message is the same I don't care-every translation isn't an exact copy of the original. It can't be, because some ideas can't even be expressed in other languages. They were just taking pride in their heritage and their country at the same time. It's pretty cool. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

I don't see a problem with it being in Spanish, either. What's important is the message. And if it's easier for Spanish-speakers to express their patriotism to USA through Spanish, then well, why not? Why sing a song you don't really understand the words to when you can sing one you really understand? You'll sing something better when you understand it, too.

=D

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]...I'm a Bush supporter, but I don't like his take on this.

The whole point of the National Anthem is patriotism. So what if it's sung in Spanish? If they don't know English, who cares? That's like telling an African American they can't sing the National Anthem. Just plain wrong. Just a watered-down version of racism.

Jimi Hendricks did a remix of the National Anthem- a guitar solo. Some people found in the most patriotic thing they had ever heard. Some were offended. I listened and found it fine. And I'm a Republican.

Bottom line? Why take offense unless they're trying to be offensive? I hightly doubt all of Mexico has a consipracy against us. =_=

[/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=GaarasStalker][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]
Jimi Hendricks did a remix of the National Anthem- a guitar solo. Some people found in the most patriotic thing they had ever heard. Some were offended. I listened and found it fine. And I'm a Republican.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I remember hearing about that. They actually played that version in the State Fair a couple years back. (They play the national anthem every morning.) The sound quality sucked, but I didn't have a problem with it. Apparently though, one of my coworkers heard a lady comment on how horrible it was. I don't know if she meant Jimi Hendrix version or just the sound quality, but still. Such bull.

[QUOTE=Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna]Why don't they just do what we do in Canada? French and English are the two predominant languages, so we kinda stuck them both together and got this:

Il sait porter la croix.

Although, in most English parts of the country, the French part is sung in English, it's still a nice concept to have it as the official anthem.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

that's interesting. at hockey games, its usually

Kinda like how the Star Spangled Banner has more verses that nobody ever sings.

on the whole spanish thing, why do they feel te need to translate it? They knew it would cause an uproar (they did it at the height of the immigration debate). They were trying to make a statement, but they knew that they would offend people. I honestly don't understand why they feel the need to change it. Also, because of rythm, its sometimes difficult to translate a song. Most songs don't translate exactly, and changes need to be made if they're to be sung. Since this was sung, I would like to know how the lyrics translate.

[quote name='Caine']on the whole spanish thing, why do they feel te need to translate it? They knew it would cause an uproar (they did it at the height of the immigration debate). They were trying to make a statement, but they knew that they would offend people. I honestly don't understand why they feel the need to change it. Also, because of rythm, its sometimes difficult to translate a song. Most songs don't translate exactly, and changes need to be made if they're to be sung. Since this was sung, I would like to know how the lyrics translate.[/quote]
[SIZE=1]
The issue isn't whether or not those people meant to cause offence, the problem lies with the people who felt that they had the right to take offence to it. And even if a person can speak English, I don't see why they'd have to [I]sing it[/I] in English. As far as the accuracy of translation goes, I don't see why there should be any issue with that either. Even if the lyrics get jumbled around a little, big deal. It's still pretty much the same thing, so why does it matter? And its might be worth noting that trying to find out how the lyrics translate could just confuse things even more, because if it translated inaccurately to Spanish, the same thing might happen when it's translated back. : P

Oh, and if you hadn't guessed, I'm not a great fan of patriotism. I haven't sang along to the ol' [I]"God Save the Queen"[/I] since primary school, and I don't intend to start again any time soon.

- On one final, vaguely related note, you probably wouldn't hear any old drinking song to the tune of the Star-Spangled Banner anywhere in modern Britain. At best you might find an over-the-hill pop song, but I reckon it'd be far more likely to find people singing football [soccer] songs - possibly one of the only things I hate more than our national anthem.[/SIZE]