OtakuBoards

What has anime taught you?

TheResplendent

I was going over a few things earlier today, and as i was repeating to one of my friends something from Naruto i realized that there were a lot of things that i learned about certain topics from animes. So i figured i'd create a topic for everyone to discuss what they have learned from certain animes.

Myself, i've learned from Naruto many different types of japanese foods. I already knew what ramen was but i learned about different kinds, and most recently in naruto episode 185 (i do not believe this to really be a spoiler since it has no relavence to anything in the story but if it is perceived as one, a mod may add in the spoiler tag) i found out that the word Naruto in japanese is actually a type of fishcake. And since naruto is probably currently the most popular series that has not yet been translated fully to english, i've learned a great deal of the japanese language due to the combination of the subtitles and japanese audio. I have a pre-existing knowledge of some japanese terms from personal interest in the past, but when you watch as consistantly as i do you really pick up a lot more.

From Fullmetal Alchemist, not only did it make me appreciate chemistry more (i wasn't much and still aren't much of a science fan, i'm more of the writing and psychology type) but one thing i specifically learned which i thought was pretty interesting to know was the actual element composition of the human adult body (35 liters of water, 25 kilograms of carbon, 4 liters of ammonia, 1.5 kilograms of lime, 800 grams of phosphorous, 250 grams of salt, 100 grams of saltpeter, 80 grams of sulphur, 75 grams of fluorine, 5 grams of iron, 3 grams of silicon, and a little bit of 15 other elements i believe.)

And while i have heard the term before i saw Rurouni Kenshin, it wasen't until i first started watching where i knew exactly what made a reverse blade sword what it was. I figured pretty much, but it was more like confirmation.

Thats it off the top of my head...i'll add some more if i remember or learn anything new.

Hmm..thats an interesting question. Let me think...After I started watching Dragon Ball Z, I wanted to learn karate..but I guess DBZ didnt really teach me that..I'm learning a lot about japanese school from Azimanga Dioh. Oh, and I'm picking up a lot of japanese from watching various subtitle animes. I've learned a little about japanese culture from Ai Yori Aoshi. Oh, and I think I've seen enough shoujo anime that I could qualify as a bento-expert.

I also have learned from Naruto what ramen was, before I ever seen Naruto I couldn't tell you what ramen was or about kunai's or shuriken. And I don't really guess I learned anything from Dbz except that I really like it, well I guess I did learn some cool karate moves from watching it so much. And after I read and watched One Piece I learned more about pirates and stuff like that. So I guess anime has taught me some cool stuff and I'm sure that it will continue to teach me many different things.

[QUOTE]Myself, i've learned from Naruto many different types of japanese foods. I already knew what ramen was but i learned about different kinds, and most recently in naruto episode 185 (i do not believe this to really be a spoiler since it has no relavence to anything in the story but if it is perceived as one, a mod may add in the spoiler tag) i found out that the word Naruto in japanese is actually a type of fishcake. And since naruto is probably currently the most popular series that has not yet been translated fully to english, i've learned a great deal of the japanese language due to the combination of the subtitles and japanese audio. I have a pre-existing knowledge of some japanese terms from personal interest in the past, but when you watch as consistantly as i do you really pick up a lot more.[/QUOTE]

I thought Naruto's name meant noodle, while uzumaki meant spiral? :animestun

I know iruka means dolphin, kakashi means scarecrow.

kyuubi no kitsune is nine-tailed fox, so if my knowledge is right, ichiubi no inu would be one-tailed dog right?

I've really just learned things like titles, and expressions from watching anime. I also have a much better accent now :animesmil

[QUOTE=The_Mix_Breed]I thought Naruto's name meant noodle, while uzumaki meant spiral? :animestun

I know iruka means dolphin, kakashi means scarecrow.

kyuubi no kitsune is nine-tailed fox, so if my knowledge is right, ichiubi no inu would be one-tailed dog right?

I've really just learned things like titles, and expressions from watching anime. I also have a much better accent now :animesmil[/QUOTE]

Probably the closes to it. And uzumaki does mean spiral, naruto however is specifically a type of fishcake though it may have a dual meaning.

Some of the more funnier translations are Neji means screw, Ibiki means snoring, and Uchiha actually means fan (itachi i think is weasel or ferret or something like that).

LoL Well I've already learned some stuff just be reading this thread...I'm never going to be able to look at Naruto the same way again. hehehe

Ok otherwise one of the things I've learned most from anime has been sports and game facts. Watching anime like Hikaru No Go, actually got me playing the game though I'd never have thought of attempting it beforehand.
Watching Prince of Tennis finally helped me figure out the rules of Tennis, same with watching Eyeshield 21. And watching Hajime No Ippo actually made me appreciate the amount of training and mental work boxers must go through just to step into the ring.

Besides some Japanese and some little things like about Japanese Culture, not much. In Samurai Champloo, they give you a history of what the plot of the episode is usually about. And in Sailor Moon, the whole thing was actually based on Japan at that time, so that got me to get the book "Warriors Of Legend," and I learned about the culture and such through that.

Also, just an apreciation for other cultures and such have come through me thanks to anime. Now, instead of hating it, all I do is listen to Japanese music.

That's a good question.

Anime/Manga has taught me:
1. common japanese expressions
2. that original sub is much better than the dub (sometimes)
3. that Kurama is a sexy man beast
4. that [i][b]anything[/b][/i] can happen in a two dimensional world
5. fangirls can be so annoying to the point that I want to commit suicide
6. how to do the sexy jutsu ( who doesn't?)

Yeah, that's about it. Sadly, I haven't learned anything important or anything that no one else knows. Hah! Because everyone knows what I'm talking about in #3.

EDIT:
Actually, I might have learned some japanese history, which I have already forgotten. But now that I actually think about it(and read the first post all the way through), I did learn a lot.

During my FMA obsession I learned a lot about alchemy and chemistry. I was really fascinated in it for a long time, too. In the first episode I learned more about the struggle between science and religion.

In Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X I learned the ways of the Samurai, kinda. Watching both taught me how life was in Japan in the meiji era.

I don't think I learned anything about Naruto or Yu Yu Hakusho, unfortunately.

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]What have I learned from Anime?

[center][u][b]Serious[/b][/u][/center]

I learned a lot about Japanese culture. Including how their school system works and the whole uniform thing

I learned a lot about puns. Such as Hino Rei (sailorMars) the kanji in Mars means fire star. And one of the pass words that Luna used in the first season about the Rabbit on the moon pounds the mochi. I guess there is an Asian story about a rabbit on the moon pounding rice cake (Mochi= ricecake)

Oh I also learned that Inu is dog, neko is cat, Uma is horse, usagi is rabbit/bunny and Hoshi can mean either monk or star depending on kanji

Not all evil people are bad looking (ie Nakago from Fushigi Yugi)

[b][u][center]hint of sarcasm[/center][/b][/u]

Even though there are numorous other cities without SailorSenshi aliens will ineveitably land in Juuban, Tokyo Japan.

Even if you are in the artic circle your fuku will always keep you warm

Falling down a well or through a book into the past you won't completely alter the timeline

There are always good looking guys around

That's all I can think of for now[/color][/font]

[quote name='The_Mix_Breed']I thought Naruto's name meant noodle, while uzumaki meant spiral? :animestun[/quote]As said earlier, [i]naruto[/i] is a type of fishcake in [i]ramen[/i]. Which usually, has an [i]uzumaki[/i] (spiral) on it.

And apparently there's a famous [i]uzumaki[/i] (whirlpool) in this town called [i]Naruto[/i] in Japan.

[QUOTE]kyuubi no kitsune is nine-tailed fox, so if my knowledge is right, ichiubi no inu would be one-tailed dog right?[/QUOTE]Kyuu means 9 in Japanese. The part of "Kyuubi" for tail is just "bi". So a 1 tailed beast would be "Ichibi". A one tailed dog would then be "Ichibi no Inu".

--==--

From Anime I learned that if you're in an all boys school, where all the teachers are male, everyone's probably gay.
From Anime I learned that if you're the only guy living amongst a bunch girls who look like preteens, they'll eventually all fall in love with you.
From Anime I learned that people who are evil usually [i]look[/i] evil (even if they're still sexi)... unless they don't...

From Anime I didn't learn Japanese. I learned that in school. :p

-r2

There are a lot of things anime/manga has taught me but most of all, it might be the lifestyles in Japan (excluding the ones that are obviously untrue such as DragonBallZ). Then they taught me some Japanese vocabulary as well as strategies (in Case Closed, for example) and.. just about everything? :animeswea The list goes on forever.

• 2 weeks later...
I never went to Japan so I basicly learned the japanese lifestyle and its language, its customs, holidays and basicly everything about japan there is to learn from Anime. (Most plots take place in Japan)

The main thing I learned from Anime is...well, Anime didn't teach me to, but it made me start writing the stories like fan fics and then start writing my own stories. And I think I'm proud of it, so...THANK YOU ANIME!!! ^-^

The only thing that I have leared from anime is that you should never learn anything from anime. In the case that you do however you must follow the following steps.

Hit yourself in the face wit ha brick 14.99999912 times. Drink a shot of Rum. Read the same sentence on the back of a milk carton 3 times backwards in latin. Drink s a shot of Rum. Pray reawy lowd metrallifa muzik fo 69 miinites. Drank sum rums. Parwy wif yorz electricf pioano guirfrz Rofcket. Drunk lotsa more gawwons of rum. Then pass out on your couch and viola yourr cured of uhh that thing I was talking about! :D

I learned how NOT to act in real life, both from anime and watching anime fans in general XD.

I also learned a slight ammount of common Japanese. But bear in mind, the Japanese you learn from just watching anime won't help you too much when you start really learning the language.

And of course, the same trivial stuff a lot of people mentioned, like what Takoyaki is, or to take off your shoes when entering a temple.

Never give up no matter how bad thing's are learn that from Naruto. true friends are hard to come by curtesy of Pokemon and Yugioh. trust in your friend's. hmmm well if final fantasy 7 and 9 are consider animes i learn that lesson from those .Also have faith in yourself well that i learned from all of them. They also thaught me that [B][SIZE=4]nothing's impossible.[/B][/SIZE] :D

• 2 weeks later...
Gosh, I've learned so much from anime, it's hard to narrow it down to the important things!

I learned that in a japanese household, it's customary to remove your shoes before entering. I've actually started doing that at home even though no one here at home is japanese, so they don't get why I take off my shoes. The beauties of habit...hehe.

I've also learned how to use chopsticks properly by endlessly rewinding episodes of Naruto to figure out how to hold them. My friends tell me I have WAY too much time on my hands to spend hours just trying to figure chopsticks out.

I can also say three whole sentence in japanese! Lots of people say that that's not really a big achievement, but to me it is. This links in with how I also learned that there's no L sound in japanese, and instead the pronounciation is more of an odd mix between an R and a D. It's hard to describe.

Wow, I wrote a lot. But yeah. Anime has taught me a lot. Hehehe... :animesmil

[color=#007520][color=#5060ff][quote name='Sunadokei-chan']I learned that in a japanese household, it's customary to remove your shoes before entering. I've actually started doing that at home even though no one here at home is japanese...[/quote][/color]Actually, I find this to be true with most Asians, not just Japanese. 8) I'm Filipino and it's just common sense for me.

[color=#5060ff][quote name='Sunadokei-chan']I can also say three whole sentence in japanese![/quote][/color]Out of curiosity, what are those three sentences? ^^

[color=#5060ff][quote name='Avenged666fold']The only thing that I have leared from anime is that you should never learn anything from anime. In the case that you do however you must follow the following steps...[/quote][/color]Although I don't think you should take everything you watch without a grain of salt, a lot of things can be learned from the strangest places. Some cultures are so different from one another that something one would take for granted can be hidden in their media that would surprise, and teach other cultures. I think the shoe quote above is a good example of this. ^^

-r2[/color]

[quote name='r2vq']Actually, I find this to be true with most Asians, not just Japanese. 8) I'm Filipino and it's just common sense for me.[/quote]

Yup, you're right about that. I'm Vietnamese and it's completely second nature of me now. As well as bowing to elders and new people that I'm meeting.

[quote name='Sunadokei-chan']I've also learned how to use chopsticks properly by endlessly rewinding episodes of Naruto to figure out how to hold them. [/quote]

Haha...well perhaps an easier way to learn how to use chopsitcks would be to take one and hold it how you would your pencil, then slip in the second one and try practice opening and closing them. That's how I learned.

Anyways, the majority of which I've learned from anime is japanese itself. I can speak most of the common phrases such as the greetings and farewells as well as ways of thanking or apologizing. Then there's also the lessons such as "believe in yourself" and "strive for your goals" etc. etc. Other than that, I suppose that's it, because I was already accustomed to most of their customs due to my heritage.

I learned in anime that no matter what happends fire, explotions, energy blast..ectra...you pants will never be destryed and many times for girls there shirts arn't usualy distroyed either.... :catgirl:

[quote name='Sunadokei-chan']I learned that in a japanese household, it's customary to remove your shoes before entering. I've actually started doing that at home even though no one here at home is japanese, so they don't get why I take off my shoes. The beauties of habit...hehe. [/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] *Shrugs* Whatever. I hardly watch anime anymore and I'm Irish and I still take off my shoes whenever I go into someone's house.... With the exception of my ex mother-in-law's because of the cat infestation. I think it's more of a courtesy not to track dirt and what not into someone's house.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Sunadokei-chan']I've also learned how to use chopsticks properly by endlessly rewinding episodes of Naruto to figure out how to hold them. My friends tell me I have WAY too much time on my hands to spend hours just trying to figure chopsticks out.[/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Hah! I learned how to use chopsticks before the invention of Cartoon Network. Yes it's true. Although I never had an urge to eat Japanese, Korean or Viet cuisine until watching anime and reading manga/manwa. Chopsticks are way easy... until you get to the part where you have to try and eat rice. That is so not happening for me.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Sunadokei-chan]I can also say three whole sentence in japanese! Lots of people say that that's not really a big achievement, but to me it is. This links in with how I also learned that there's no L sound in japanese, and instead the pronounciation is more of an odd mix between an R and a D. It's hard to describe.
[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]As r2vq asked, what are those three sentances? I can ask for directions in Spanish and am slowly trying to teach myself Italian and French. My friend Titi imouto chan (Ya'll know her as Ayi) also taught me a very useful phrase in Viet. I just can't type even the phrase in Viet because it's rather inappropriate. I can add odd exclaimations to sentances in Japanese and use a few other phrases- not all of them nice- in Japanese, but other than saying Ten'ou hiye otoko no ko and Wasure fuyami ni koi wo shin aide I don't think I can say anything worth saying.[/color][/font]

Guest Misty&Togepi
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]undefined[/FONT][SIZE=2]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Orange]Where to begin?! Anime has taught me many things, many valuable lessons, even if they do just seem like crazy cartoons! For example, my most favorite anime of all time, Pokemon has taught me to aim high and to never let go of my dreams. It has also taught me that no matter where our journeys take us, we will always meet our friends again someday. Anime is one of my greatest teachers and the lessons it teaches us could never be learned in school. I'm grateful that I was able to run into "anime".[/COLOR]

Ok...As a guy saying it, it sounds weird. I watch a few Shojo(girl) anime and alot of Shonen(boy) anime! I can't say that the Shonen stuff has taught me much, but I've learned alot from Shojo anime! Some sad stuff, like "Happy ever after isn't for ever." and "No matter what you do or say, everything changes! No matter what!" Not a good thought for me. And then there's the happy and sappy stuff such as "There is someone out there for everyone!"(It's true, tho) and "Love is for everyone!" But one thing I did learn, and learned the hard way, that is in some anime is that lonelyness is caused by self-pride!

[quote name='Sojiro47']But one thing I did learn, and learned the hard way, that is in some anime is that lonelyness is caused by self-pride![/quote]

It really is just like Itachi says: [spoiler]When you are skilled, you become arrogant and isolated[/spoiler]. The words are quite specific, but it applies to anything that inspires feelings of pride within people. I didn't really start understanding that too well until recently.

Things I've learned from anime:

* English teachers are more fun than gym teachers (Azumanga Daioh).

* With a tiny pinch of insanity, it is possible to make it out of high school sane (Azumanga Daioh).

* If you go to a private school, be prepared for unusual happenings (example, monsters attacking, etc.).

* When the universe is in peril, leave it up to a clumsy, 14-year-old girl to save it along with her talking animal companion.

* Monsters and robots attacking the world is a way life.

* When a girl loses her panties and a boy approaches her, a wind will always blow at her sending her too short school uniform upward, creating a Marilyn Monroe-like moment.

* Most of the time, you will be able to breathe in outer space just fine without any special outfits.

* When clothes somehow burn/fall off a girl's body, the outfit always knows when and where to stop, covering the essentials.