OtakuBoards

The Otaku Recipe Thread!

KatanaViolet

I know that there was a thread on cooking when I did the search, so hopefully this doesn't get deleted. But just in case, I apologize ahead of time.

But if not, then lets get to it!

This thread is pretty self explanitory: recipes!
Got any good ones you'd like to share with fellow otakus? Post it!
Just remember, in order to keep this thread going, don't just post a recipie, tell us about where it came from (ex. parents, or what country it's orginated from), why you like it, etc...

I'll go first. I got this one from my mom, she used to always make it and it's honestly one of my favorite desserts EVER.

[B]Sex In The Pan[/B]
[I]Type:[/I] Dessert
[I]What you need:[/I]
1 cup chopped pecans (plus extra for garnish)
1 cup flour
1 cup butter
3 tbsp sugar
8oz cream cheese
1/2 large tub of Cool Whip
1 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding.
1 1/4 cup milk
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
Chocolate shavings
[I]Instructions:[/I]
1. Mix first 4 ingredients. put in a 9x13 glass dish, bake 20-25 min @ 350 C. Let cool.
2. Mix cream cheese, Cool Whip, and Icing Sugar. Spread over cooled crust.
3. Mix the 1 1/2 c. milk with the chocolate pudding, spread over cheese layer.
*Allow to set*
4. Mix 1 1/4 milk with vanilla pudding. Spread and allow to set.
5. Ice with remaining cool whip. Garnish with pecans and chocolate shavings.

DEEEEElicious!

[COLOR=Sienna]My recipe is fairly simple. It's a recipe for the greatest fatty snack of all time, known effectionatly as poutine (Which is acadic slang for either 'Heart Attack in a Bowl' or 'Gigantic Mess', no one knows for sure).

What you'll need:
French fries
Cheese curds (From what I understand, cheese curds are sold almost exclusivly in Canada and the northern US, which is a shame, as they are delecious. If you cannot get your hands on cheese curds than I must say, there is no substitute and no reason to continue reading.)
Gravy (Make sure it's thick gravy. Watery chicken gravy will not suffice. The ultimate poutine gravy is so thick you can stand a knife in it, understand?)
Bowl (Styrafome if you've got it)

What to do:
The first thing to do is prepare the french fries. They're best when deep fried (If you hate your body, do it in lard for ultimate enjoyment) but baked is ok.
Prepare your gravy. If you think your gravy isn't thick enough, add corn starch and possibly some spices. WARNING: If you add corn startch, you must constantly stir and not overcook your gravy, as you will actually cook your gravy. I managed to do it once, and it's disgusting - you'll have to see it to know what I mean.
Than, poor a little bit of gravy into your bowl. Put a small amount of french fries into the bowl. Sprinkle in cheese curds. More gravy, french fries, and cheese curds. Repeat this until you have the desired amount. [B]THE GRAVY MUST BE BOILING HOT FOR IT TO WORK[/B], please! That is the most important thing!
Ok, let it sit for a bit. Not long, but long enough for the boiling hot gravy to both cool off and soften the cheese curds. This is not crucial but it's worth the wait.

*Note: Any and all injuries resulting for the cooking of this meal, including heart attacks, are not my responsibilty. Consume at your own risk.*

[IMG]http://www.uoregon.edu/~jloucks/Bubba's%20poutine%20deluxe.JPG[/IMG]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine[/url][/COLOR]

[FONT=Georgia]Recipes, you say? Well, I do have one that I created, which I simply call "a bunch of **** in a tortilla." It's not very hard to make, and is actually good...if you're tongue swings that way.

[b]What You Need[/b]
1. One tortilla. I prefer corn tortillas, but whatever.
2. Plain Greek yogurt.
3. Chinese spicy sauce (you know, it's red with a green top...maybe you don't know this.).
4. Fillers of your choosing (e.g. turkey, cheese, etc.).

[b]What You Do With It[/b]

1. First, find your tortilla (they're sneaky). Next, put it in a toaster oven for...however long you like it. This should make the tortilla blow up like a balloon. Which is cool. But don't do it for too long or it will look like a deflated football that spontaneously combusted.
2. Next, mix the yogurt and Chinese sauce stuff in a bowl.
3. Stuff your blown up tortilla with your fillings.
4. Pour the yogurt stuff in.
5. Eat.

Contrary to all appearances, this actually tastes good! :animeswea Seriously.[/FONT]

That sounds really different Touchstone, definately sounds like an aquired taste!
Cygnus! Poutine is a Canadian delicacy hehe ^_^

Here's another one here:
[B]Sangria[/B]
[I]Type:[/I] Drink
[I]What You Need:[/I]
1 lemon, sliced
1/2 orange, sliced
1 lime, sliced
500 mL cranberry juice cocktail
500 mL club soda
100 mL orange juice

[I]What you need to do:[/I]
Stir all ingredients together, Serve over ice cubes.

I learned this recipe in cooking class in grade 10 or 11 (can't quite remember). That weekend when my friends went out drinking, they made sangrias and just added their alcohol of choice. So you can also do that too. Either way its delicious!

This is about the only unique recipe that I have.

[B]FASTERISKHEAD'S KHEER REVOLUTION[/B]

COOKING TIME: approx. 60-70 minutes.
DIFFICULTY: very easy, assuming your arm won't fall off from all the stirring.
SERVINGS: about three. (adjust amounts accordingly if you want more, although cooking times will then vary)

INGREDIENTS:
- 4 Cups (1 Quart) Whole Milk (do NOT try this with reduced fat milk, unless you like your kheer watery and thin)
- 1/2 Cup Basmati Rice (other rice types are okay, but basmati works best. Adjust rice amounts based on personal preference, but do NOT go above 3/4 Cup or so)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (also adjustable, but for me this is about right)
- 1 to 1 1/2 Teaspoons Cardamom (I love this stuff, so the amount I put in is on the high side. This will make your kitchen smell fantastic for at least two hours. Note: do NOT pay twelve dollars for a little bottle of cardamom at a supermarket, and the same goes for the basmati rice for that matter. Go find a local Indian grocery place and drop five bucks for a bag that's twice as big)
- OPTIONAL: 3 Tablespoons Milk Powder (I like kheer very thick, and this helps firm it up. If you prefer, substitute a shot of half-and-half)
- OPTIONAL: 1/3 Cup Slivered or Chopped Almonds
- OPTIONAL: 1 Pinch Saffron
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 Stick Cinnamon (I personally don't like kheer with cinnamon, since to me it conflicts with the cardamom; here it is if you want it, though, so be sure to adjust cardamom amounts accordingly)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Pour the milk in a deep pot, and bring to a boil. Be VERY VERY CAREFUL not to turn the heat up too high, or you'll scald the milk (you'll know you've done this if you notice nasty brown chunks appear in your mix). I'm very paranoid about this, so I never bring the heat up further than a little over midway. STIR CONSTANTLY, keeping stuff off the sides and bottom as best you can. It usually takes about 20-25 minutes for a light boil to take form, and by that time the milk should be thickening nicely.
2. After you've got a light boil going, add the rice, sugar, and (if you're using it) the stick of cinnamon. KEEP STIRRING. Allow the rice to cook, which should take around 30 to 35 minutes (pick some out to test it). About 15 minutes into this the milk should really be thickening up, so add the milk powder (or half-and-half) if you're using it. Also add the almonds here. SERIOUSLY, KEEP STIRRING.
3. After the rice is cooked, add the cardamom and the saffron (if used). Turn the heat down a notch, STAY UP WITH THE STIRRING, and keep the stuff cooking until it's as thick as you want (I usually give it another 3-5 minutes at low heat).
4. Remove the kheer from heat and let it cool (it will thicken a lot more as it does so). After this, you can serve it at room temperature or throw it in the fridge for awhile (I personally prefer it cold).

Enjoy!