OtakuBoards

What should I watch next?

Doublehex

I have watched the following Anime, and I am unsure of where to turn to next. Based on what I have watched, can you give me any suggestions?

-Elfen Lied
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Full Metal Panic
-Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2
-Gundam Wing
-Hellsing
-Last Exile
-Outlaw Star
-Wolf's Rain

As you can see, I am an action/war buff that enjoys good characterization. Do you guys have any suggestions?

You seem to be much into the whole neo-present or futuristic action style ones. With that in mind as well as animes that contain some similar themes as the ones you've seen i suggest:

Trigun - Great action and comedy mixed, good if you like gunplay style action. Great characters too if you look deep enough into them
Cowboy Bebop - Space travel, different planets, bounty hunters...i think it speaks for itself.
Vandread - More space themes with men and women seperated on different planets. An interesting watch if nothing else.
Gundam Seed - Different from Gwing, but it has many same principles.

[quote name='Hunter DX][COLOR=DarkGreen']Without a doubt FMA should be first.Great chacters, story and animation. Then Outlaw star great animation, chacters, horrible ending thoguh. Followed by Gundam WIng which is the best Gundam series.[/COLOR][/quote]

I've already watched all those though. :-/

I was about to suggest [i]Jubei-chan[/i], but that has more comedy than action.

Well, you might like Eureka 7. It's just started on [adult swim], so I haven't seen the whole series. But it's pretty cool so far.

Oh im sorry I thoguht you meant the anime on the list. In that case Id go with Gantz its like Elfen Lied in terms of violence and gore. It has excellent animation and a great storyline. With great chacters and intense action. I highly recomend Gantz. You can get the first seasoon for $55 or buy the first DVD for $15 and see if you like it.

I'm not too good with suggesting things, but seeing as you've seen Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2, you might as well follow up with the series as well. I can't explain it without giving away some things. But it is action in there, but I think what makes it interesting is the dialogue. I'm not the type that like politics and whatnot, but from their stand point, they made japanese politics interesting.

That's the only thing I can recommend. Other than that, you may want to check out what's being shown on Adult Swim (the animes.....)

you totally have to check out Cowboy Bebop, i've seen a lot of the series you mentioned and it was because of bebop, but also if you like the GITS movies the SAC series are worth checking out. but for real action mezzo dsa is pretty cool too.

Ooooh, if you loved the fantastic blend of art and action in Last Exile, I would reccomend X in a heartbeat. It's the most masterfully execution I've ever seen in an action series, and the visuals are simply stunning. It rises above the whole "Lots of black lines represent movement" cliche made famous in series like DBZ. X is an absolute classic. There's a myriad of characters, each with his or her own personality that deepens as only Clamp can pull off. You'll instantly find a favorite character among the Dragons of Earth and Heaven. Simply phenomenal. Nothing I say can possibly do X justice. I can't reccomend it enough.

Guest kenei
Well, I'd go with .Hack//Sign. It has a really deep story, and the character design and developments are really god. Not to mention it has a semi-goth theme with the music to go with it.

[QUOTE=Doublehex]I have watched the following Anime, and I am unsure of where to turn to next. Based on what I have watched, can you give me any suggestions?

-Elfen Lied
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Full Metal Panic
-Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2
-Gundam Wing
-Hellsing
-Last Exile
-Outlaw Star
-Wolf's Rain

As you can see, I am an action/war buff that enjoys good characterization. Do you guys have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]Hmm well if you wanna see a good drama/action flick R.O.D is the way to go. But if your not down with that whole girl power thing this might not be for you. You wanna see something like hellsing? Blood the last Vampire is for you. Evangalion is a good after gundam series. You wan't alot of blood in gore in ancient japanese/medieval times? Try ninja scroll and Berserk. Also for good measure might wanna atch edens bowy(some people think it suck but the hradcore fans love it) its got a prety good story but slightly dated animation. That's all I got right now.

hmm u could try

Chrono Crusade(really great anime)
Rahxephon
Blood+
Black Cat(the manga is better tho)
[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]panzerzanaku[/B] please improve your post quality, simply listing shows to watch without explaining why you think they would enjoy the show is spam. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=panzerzanaku]hmm u could try

Chrono Crusade(really great anime)
Rahxephon
Blood+
Black Cat(the manga is better tho)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Despite the horrible quality of that post I agree wiith everything on it. Rahxephon is a brillant series and rivals Evangleion.It is not a mech show however dont let anyone tell you diffrently. Blood+ is great to. Black Cat is one of my favorite new anime/mangas. It has a distinct art style and intresting chacters. Check these out as well.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE] I am an action/war buff that enjoys good characterization. Do you guys have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Escaflowne! One of my favourite anime. Action/War - Fantasy - Mechs! plus good romance. It has the futuristic/ but fantasy look. The characters are good, like you've said you like. Its brilliant. One thing if you do watch it. Give the noses a chance. Its quite an old anime, and the art is a little different, but I found it really grew on me. Its an amazing anime.

[COLOR=#35425E][i]Wha~t? No yaoi?!?[/i]

Watch [b]BLEACH[/b]. Just to add more vitamins into your diet. It's an action-packed anime about Death Gods and it's one of those series that is well-liked by fans of different anime genres.

I concur with Kita in saying that you just [i]have[/i] to get [b]Escaflowne[/b]. The battle scenes and environments were breathtaking (detail-overload! mwahahaha!) and there's great character development towards the end. Absolutely shattered my ideas of evil-to-the-core villains, it did![/COLOR]

Guest Gun Preacher
you can watch these shows

trigun,vandread,banner of the stars,rurouni kenshin,last exile.
[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]Gun Preacher[/B] please improve your post quality, simply listing shows to watch without explaining why you think they would enjoy the show is spam. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Delta][COLOR=#35425E][i]Wha~t? No yaoi?!?[/i'][/COLOR][/quote]

Oh my... a thread where I haven't mentioned yaoi once. I feel disappointed in myself. Well, X does have innuendo, so I at least have that consolation....

But steering back on track, I think that Evangelion is a must. It's the godfather of mecha and more thought-provoking than The Da Vinci Code. One of those shows that'll wake you up at night wondering what the heck the ending meant. Despite my severe energy problems, I like a show that can do that.

Like PaganAngel said, Evangelion is a wonderful anime series that I think anyone can enjoy. The first half is your typical mecha anime, but the second half can really...how to put it...make you really think. It gets so deep into the mental and pychological aspects of man.

Anyway, as for other anime I'd reccommend...hrm, I'd reccommend Elfen Lied, but you said you've already seen it! Well, in terms on pure comedy, I highly reccomend Kodocha. It's very, VERY funny, and light hearted (save for some of the later episodes). I also reccommend Angelic Layer, it's by CLAMP, and is also a light hearted anime, but it does have some of itss dramatic moments. Although, if you're a male, you may find it "cutesy". But it's not TOO cutesy, rest assured. Also, I reccommend All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku. It's also a very hilarious cat-girl anime. No, there's ecchi or hentai, but Nuku Nuku practically was a trendsetter for future cat-girl anime to come.

Well, that's my list. I know, I focused alot on comedy. x_x But hey. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

I cant recomed Samurai X Trust and Betrayal enoguh. Amazing animation and chacters. You dont have to follow RK to enjoy this one. Reflections is also very good but in this case you need to have wathed alot of RK since its almost all fan service(excluding the Enishi fight).

[QUOTE=PaganAngel]Oh my... a thread where I haven't mentioned yaoi once. I feel disappointed in myself. Well, X does have innuendo, so I at least have that consolation....

But steering back on track, I think that Evangelion is a must. It's the godfather of mecha and more thought-provoking than The Da Vinci Code. One of those shows that'll wake you up at night wondering what the heck the ending meant. Despite my severe energy problems, I like a show that can do that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my friend told me about it. He's gonna leand me his copy when I go over in a couple of days. From what I hear, I should keep a really open mind on my first watch through.

Guest Poppets
I havn't actually watched it yet, so I can't really give my opinion.. but if you like action and violence/gore etc, I've heard 3x3 eyes is good!

I just finished Saber marionette j-again-j-x. I found this to be one of the greatest series I have ever seen. It's got alot of action . Especially near the end. They got a great deal on it on a site called roberts anime corner store. all 16 dvd's for about 140$. So I suggest you buy that.