OtakuBoards

Favourite Elements of Games

Redemption

For me, Gameplay, characters and story is what I look for in games. Since I play RPGs almost endlessly, I like a complex storyline that makes the player think hard about the connections between characters etc. FF7 was an example of that.
I am naturally drawn to a game when I see the design of the characters that I like, in my case I like it when the characters have an anime design to them (Tales of Symphonia is one of my faves). Graphics never bother me when I play, because no matter how good graphics are, if you can't play it it's worthless Therefore, gameplay outranks graphics for me. I think it's a good system when the player is able to make decision for the characters, rather than the game doing it itself. Realtime fighting is a bit more fun to play than turn-based in my opinion, since it keeps you on your toes and makes you focus.

• 3 weeks later...
[size=1]Loooooks good guys. I asked this because I wondered what I should go into in the gaming area. I think I'm going to become a script-writer/scenario writer/character and environment concepter - that's if my degree overseer is nice to me. XD

Anyway, another question.

We've all known for a long time that virtual reality is going to be a huge thing when it comes into gaming. I'm meaning the whole shabang - headset, mind-reading thing - the works.

How do you think the introduction of true virtual reality affect gaming? Do you think it will be a good thing or a bad thing? Will it affect people's health? Will it only affect certain types of gaming (eg. RPG, fighter type) ? Explain why.[/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]My post will be two-fold.

1. What elements of games do I love the most? Fun factor! I don't care if I'm playing a game that looks like melted LEGO blocks, as long as its fun. Take Painkiller: Hell Wars (A port of the PC FPS of the same name) for instance; Its not the best looking game, doesn't have the most epic story, has really no gameplay tweaks like switches, puzzles, objectives or anything that makes a game expansive but its downright fun. The objective of the whole game level after level is kill or be killed. Shoot or be shot, so on and so forth.

The next big thing on my list of gameplay elements is level design and we've seen truly great level design with games like Halo, Counter Strike, God Of War and heck, even Grand Theft Auto. There are some games out there where you can only see the same enviornments so many times before it becomes retarded.

The last thing on my list is RPGs. I want them removed from existence altogether. They take too much time, level grinding is dumb. RPGs are the worst of gaming ever.

Just kidding.

Now onto the next part of the post.

2. If virtual reality became real then games would...Be alot more expensive! However, I don't think gaming would change too much in terms of gameplay. Sure you'd be in the game but you can only play so many FPSs before you become attune to them and can pick them up on the fly. In addition; just like gaming now you get a whole slew of cruddy or mediocre games before you get a truly GREAT game so I think VR gaming would more or less be the same just with someone actually in it. Though, I'd like to play an RPG in a VR game.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][quote name='Dare][size=1']As a future game designer, I was wondering what makes you play a game. It is the graphics? The storyline? What kind of game it is? Because your friends play it? A combination of these elements?[/size][/quote] Usually what grabs me into a game is the story line. I?m more into RPG?s so if it?s a fighting game or racing type of game, more often or not I don?t even bother to check it out as I don?t really care for those type of games. The graphics take a second place as a good storyline and interaction with characters is more important to me. Good graphics are nice, but not if the storyline is flat and stale and lacking in originality. Like indifference mentioned. Crystal Chronicles was beautiful, but story wise, very, very boring.

Actually very few of my friends play video games so whether they play it or not doesn?t really matter. I do take recommendations from the few who do, but not very often as they like games like WarCraft and EmpireEarth. Those type are fun I suppose, but not really my thing. I only play that type of game when I?m completely bored.

I?m also picky about the game play as well. I like it when games give you the option to do things either completely manual or have part of it handled automatically. I really don?t have the patience for lengthy button pushing just to get one move in. In fact I tend to avoid such games as all they do is frustrate me to no end. I also like it when they do like Tales of Symphonia and offer different levels of difficulty. Thus giving you the chance to have the game more challenging if you so desire. Or like Diablo II where defeating the first one opened up Nightmare and defeating that opened up the Hell level. (which I have yet to finish)

Music isn?t too much of a big deal, though I do like it to at least have variety on some level. That?s another reason I don?t care for racing games, the few I?ve tried had about five songs at max and I don?t want to unlock them, I want to have them from the very beginning. Unlocking different courses and cars is fine, but music? Meh! It gets so repetitive that I grow sick of it and usually never play the game again.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[b][size=1]The 1st thing I look for in my games is gameplay / controls. If the game plays smoothly, you have caught my attention. That's why RPG's are last pick on my list to get because I don't like the "push the button and wait" type of controls. (I forgot what that type is called, but it'll come back to me eventually.) I know about the action-RPG's, but we'll get on that some other time.

The next thing I look for is graphics. I am also a graphics whore, but unlike Charles most of the times I won't give a lot of chances to games without good graphics. (I know, I'm closed-minded, and I need to work on that.) It took me so long to play FFVII because of it's poor graphics. I just couldn't get over the fact that I was walking around as some tiny character with weird hands and feet. (Especially since I played FFVIII and X 1st.) But I got to it eventually because of boredom.

Last but not least would be the story. But most of the time I really don't look for it because I rarely pay attention to the story. Till this day, I still wouldn't be able to tell you what's going on in the MGS storyline simply because I never paid any attention and I played it about 6-7 times. (You pretty much have no choice but to pay attention to the story in RPG's, with all the dialogue and whatnot.)

If you have all 3 of those in one package, you just might have a perfect game, atleast for me anyway. Which is why I like Ninja Gaiden so much. Team Ninja was even nice enough to throw in a bit of extra's with the AI being no joke at all, and very nice cinema's. Next would be DMC3, and so on.[/b][/size]

[QUOTE=Redemption][size=1]
Anyway, another question.

We've all known for a long time that virtual reality is going to be a huge thing when it comes into gaming. I'm meaning the whole shabang - headset, mind-reading thing - the works.

How do you think the introduction of true virtual reality affect gaming? Do you think it will be a good thing or a bad thing? Will it affect people's health? Will it only affect certain types of gaming (eg. RPG, fighter type) ? Explain why.[/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=slategray]Quite a simple answer: no gamer would ever leave their house. The average rate of obesity would skyrocket.

I'm still all for virtual reality gaming. I'd give anything to play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion like that. Damn.
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Redemption][size=1]We've all known for a long time that virtual reality is going to be a huge thing when it comes into gaming. I'm meaning the whole shabang - headset, mind-reading thing - the works.

How do you think the introduction of true virtual reality affect gaming? Do you think it will be a good thing or a bad thing? Will it affect people's health? Will it only affect certain types of gaming (eg. RPG, fighter type) ? Explain why.[/size][/QUOTE] I don't think games with controllers will ever go away, really. Virtual reality would be fun, but it'd just be different from controller gaming, not superior. Much in the same way that the Wii will be probably the most advanced game controller (well, in-package controller. I can't really speak for third party controllers lol) to date, but that doesn't mean it's definitely better than a good old, two-handed solid gamepad.

And as for what I think VR gaming will be like? Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it got banned worldwide pretty quick lol. A lot of horror games, for example, could cause permanent trauma to many younger gamers (hell, maybe I shouldn't even rule out older gamers either), and while gory shooters right now might not desensitize kids to violence and the idea of committing violent crimes, I'd bet big money that virtual reality ones would easily.

...Other than that, I guess it'd be fun. =)

[QUOTE=John]I don't think games with controllers will ever go away, really. Virtual reality would be fun, but it'd just be different from controller gaming, not superior. Much in the same way that the Wii will be probably the most advanced game controller (well, in-package controller. I can't really speak for third party controllers lol) to date, but that doesn't mean it's definitely better than a good old, two-handed solid gamepad.

And as for what I think VR gaming will be like? Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it got banned worldwide pretty quick lol. A lot of horror games, for example, could cause permanent trauma to many younger gamers (hell, maybe I shouldn't even rule out older gamers either), and while gory shooters right now might not desensitize kids to violence and the idea of committing violent crimes, I'd bet big money that virtual reality ones would easily.

...Other than that, I guess it'd be fun. =)[/QUOTE]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]They would probably be super strict about what games are released to the public. I sincerely doubt a zombie game that scares the **** out of 20 year olds would be released to the world. If it was they might just put a block on the game

They could have strict ratings. And yeah, you're thinking "Well that never did anything" and you're right. But I don't know, they could just have you enter your birthdate when you got your VR System so it knows how old you are.

Or you have to be 18 or older to buy it and so your parents buy it for you and while there the video game guys make your parents create seperate accounts for anyone who'll be using the system (password-protecting each one and punching in the birth date of each user in their account).

I don't know. I'm sure they would think of plenty of ways to work around it.[/FONT][/COLOR]