OtakuBoards

Watercolor Pencils

damatte

I'm currently in Exploration Mode :D That's what i call my search for different coloring tools for my art, like colored pencils, markers, etc. Right now, it's watercolor pencils! :D Okay my question now is...what's the best brand, and will it mess with my inking? 'Cause it's water, and I'm worried. And if it does affect the ink, what can I do to prevent that?

[color=darkblue][size=1]Since I'm not seeing the immediate connection between your question and manga techniques here, I'm going to do you a favor and mosey this on over to Art Studio. You'll likely get an answer sooner, anyway.

*moves*[/color][/size]

I use Derwent brand, but that's mostly cause you can buy them individually. I use another brand as well, but I can't remember what it is ^^; Just remember, watercolor pencils tend to get muddy/dirty faster than normal watercolor... so you if you'd like cleaner, brighter colors I'd use the stuff out of tubes or something. Watercolor pencils are nice for detail though (or in general, if you don't have a large work space or a place to store and mix watercolor ^^; )

And just make sure you use a waterproof ink ^_^ It's been a while, but I don't think sakura micron type pens bleed (I use them all the time~ and I can't remember them ever bleeding, so...)

Hope that helps a little ^^; If I've remembered anything wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me XD

I'm not sure about watercolor pencils, for I haven't used them really, but I do know that Sanford Prismacolor is a great brand. That's what type of colored pencil I use, and they are definitely high quality. So if you see Prismacolor watercolor pencils, they would probably be a good choice. Derwent, as GTK stated, is also a great brand.

[COLOR=#35425E]I use [b]Faber Castell[/b] watercolor pencils. Aside from those expensive tinned pencils art majors get, FC's the only brand I can get (the local supplies store also carries them dirt-cheap pencils from Taiwan but the red is so... pink).

Hey, does anybody know if Prang makes watercolor pencils? I love their red but I couldn't replicate it with my set.[/COLOR]

*Sorry I put thi sin the wrong category or whatnot, it's been awhile since I've been here, and I forgot*

And I've heard of all those brands except Derwent...I'm most familiar with the Prisma brand, so I guess I'll use that...regular printer paper can't handle watercolor pencils, right?

Randomly, since no one seemed to be sure, Prisma Color -does- make watercolor pencils also. Turns out I own some ^^; They were a gift, so I'd forgotten all about them~ they are actually pretty nice too =^-^=

[quote name='damatte']regular printer paper can't handle watercolor pencils, right?[/quote]

No. Regular paper will get wrinkled. I suggest either gettting watercolor paper (though it is often textured), cardstock, or bristol (sp?) board. These are all thicker so they shouldn't really wrinkle unless you totally soak them in water. The paper will probably still "bow" to a certain extent. You an fix this by ironing the paper... put a rag or a few paper towels on both sides of your paper (to protect the surface) and iron it like you would clothes, on a relatively low setting... it varies from iron to iron. I also suggest "ironing' the back side ^^; so if something should happen, you won't harm your drawing.

[QUOTE=Delta]
I use Faber Castell watercolor pencils. Aside from those expensive tinned pencils art majors get, FC's the only brand I can get (the local supplies store also carries them dirt-cheap pencils from Taiwan but the red is so... pink).

Hey, does anybody know if Prang makes watercolor pencils? I love their red but I couldn't replicate it with my set.
[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/32/[/url]

A quick google search turned it up. I personally don't like Prang brand color pencils, but they do make watercolor pencils ^^; though I've never used them. They don't seem to have a variety of colors though, and you can't really blend with watercolor pencils without it getting dirty... so for more colors, you'll probably have to mix with another brand.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Yes, prismacolor is definitely a "trustable brand." I am glad to have helped. Of course, Prismacolor may be good, but you should also try out Derwent and see what you prefer. I'm not sure of the prices for the different brands. Good luck with your shopping. Also, as GTK said, I would use watercolor paper or bristol board to work with. I use 100 lb. bristol board, and it's really nice. Watercolor paper would be more textured, which I don't like.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#b0000b][size=1]You can also prevent your paper from curling and wrinkling on you if you stretch it first.

Get it wet, smooth it out, and carefully tape it down to your working surface (I reccomend a wooden cutting board--the kind you might use in the kitchen--but that's only because that's what I'm used to, and it's both sturdy and portable.)

Or you can follow [url=http://www.ehow.com/how_11621_stretch-watercolor-paper.html]these directions[/url], which are based on something a little more than Sara thinking to herself "I'm really sick of these stupid wrinkles, how can I fix them?" =][/size][/color]

I would suggest Prismacolor. The quality of their art supplies is excellent so if you use them, you shall not be disappointed. :catgirl: They produce very nice sets of watercolor pencils and tons of other coloring supplies. They may be a little pricier, but they are worth it.