OtakuBoards

Recommended Anime of the Week ^-^

MrsKakashi

I simply must recommend Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi) and Noein. Good summaries can be found at [url]http://www.animeacademy.com/index.php[/url] (I suck at summaries)
Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna is a great mystery anime. I highly recommend it. :animesmil

If you like Cardcaptor Sakura, you'll love Tsubasa Chronicle. (but I can't think of any fans of CLAMPS's work who hasn't heard of this anime) xxxHOLiC is also quite good too. Same goes for the movie, xxxHOLiC: Manatsu no Yoru no Yume (did I spell that right?).

xxxHOLiC anime is about Kumihiro Watanuki who can see ghosts and spirits. They are also attracted to his blood, so they keep attacking him. He stumbles upon the Dimension Witch's (AKA The Space Time Witch, and Yuko Ichihara) shop. Her shop specializes in granting wishes, so she agrees to grant Watanuki's wish of not being able to see the spirits (they will also stop attacking him)....after he agrees to work for her, cooking , cleaning and doing other random tasks for her.

The movie is about when Yuko gets a letter inviting her to an auction at a mysterious mansion (of course she brings Watanuki with her, along with his "rival" Doumeki) It crosses over with the Tsubasa Chronicle movie at the end. Themes for both the movie and the series by Suga Shikao, (ending for the series is called "Reason" by Focogenico and they are excellent!

Well for my recomendation this week, I'm going with a classic:

[B]Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie[/B]
[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/BannerWood/SF2DVD.jpg[/IMG]

They've finally re-released this movie on DVD this past week, uncut and with the original Japanese dub....and I couldn't be happier.
Being a big fan of the games, I really enjoyed the movie, which is full of great fight scenes, involving just about every character from the original SFII.
The animation is also pretty great...considering it was released in 1994.

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/BannerWood/155.jpg[/IMG]

All in all its pretty much one of the best anime video game adaptations....and much better than the live action, Van Dam, movie. Although not as hilarious.

So..if you're a hardcore SF fan, or just a fan of Martial Arts anime...you probably should check it out.
:cool:

• 4 weeks later...
My recommendation would have to be the Gundam Wing series.
[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][INDENT]That?s great that you would recommend the Gundam Wing series [B]Mafia Blk[/B], but since OtakuBoards is a discussion based forum we expect more from our members when they post. For example you could have taken the time to write a small paragraph explaining what it is about the show that you like and why you think others would enjoy watching it. Further spammy posts such as this will be deleted. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff. ~Aaryanna[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest crazysaintboi
My recommendation would have to be higurashi no naku nori ni, because the suspense and freaky horror that makes you continue to watch it, just to try and discover the truth behind the series. This series draws its viewers in, through a sort of hypnotic method. This shows leaves you with a draw dropping confusion as the episode draws to an end. A must watch for a good psychological horror fix.

[quote name='aoi_hikari']If you like Cardcaptor Sakura, you'll love Tsubasa Chronicle. (but I can't think of any fans of CLAMPS's work who hasn't heard of this anime) xxxHOLiC is also quite good too.[/quote]
I skimmed through and found that TRC had only been recommended ONCE. How sad! But maybe that's just me. I personally enjoy watching that series, even though I've only seen maybe thirteen episodes. I'm reading the manga too, and love it as well. For those of you who have read CCS, it has the same character, Syaoran and Sakura, along with Yukito and Sakura's older brother. They live in the kingdom of Clow, with Sakura being princess, and her brother King. Syaoran was adopted by Fujitaka, so its sort of the same people but not as I was used to them (I read CCS first). TRC is, like, the king of crossovers, with people from their other series appearing in some way shape or form throughout the series.

Oh! The story line is about Sakura losing her memories, and Syaoran goes looking for them with her, along with Fai D. Flowright and Kurogane, who are all from different worlds. Fai doesn't want to return to his world, and Kurogane wants to return to his. So the time-space witch Yuko sends them on for a very high price. The series is so kawaii, and I recommend it greatly. It has humor and action, and is a very fun read.

xxxHolic is the series that goes along with it, but you don't have to read (or watch) it while reading TRC. But its a good read too. Or watch. CCS is good too, and Fruits Basket, if you want some humor. Its about this girl named Tohru Honda who meets the Sohma family, who is cursed by the Chinese Zodiac. The books pretty much tell about her adventures with this unusual family.

So there you have it. I'm not usually a lengthy person - whew! :animesigh

[QUOTE=AnimeHeroX][SIZE=4][B]Ikkitousen[/B][/SIZE] about women who inherit anicent sprits. and fight the main girl Sonsaku Hakufu She possesses the spirit of the Koutou Champion, Sonsaku who passed away at the age 26. The Sonsaku who is destined to fight. Shuuyu Koukin is worried about Sonsaku so he watches over his childhood friend. But, because of him worrying, Sonsaku just gets excited about the battles.
but i won't to give away to much she is very ditzy and can kick some real butt beautiful women fighting. hmmmm sounds like a winner to me. :D

[IMG]http://okazu.blogspot.com/ikkitousen04.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
yes ikki tousen is wonderful, i highly reccomend it i have seen the whole thing, i got a sample dvd from geneon, and i had to see the rest of it. i was bummed it was only 13 eps

my other reccomendation is the grenadier,
pretty much its a shootem up 12 ep anime, with a big breasted blonde who is trying to save the empress. she is highly skilled with a revolver, she is reloading the gun wiith her cleavage...

here is a clip
[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8641/grenadiere7dm.gif[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...
My recommedation would have to be [B]Black Cat[/B], which is being release by Funimation in December. I was at the first episode screening of it at Anime Fest and let me tell you it was amazing. Great animation and the plot seemed very good, Funimation also did a great job with the dub. Anyways here is a little plot summary taken from Anime News Network:

The world is secretly controlled by a secret organizition, Chronos. Under the command of this mysterious organization, are the Chronos Numbers, a group of powerful assasins, taking orders to eliminate certain target secretly to keep the so-called 'peace'. One of the most powerful is the Number XIII, Train Hartnett.
Train Heartnet is known as the Black Cat for his quick reactions to attacks. He is an unbeatable master gunman, a cold and unfeeling killer until he meets Saya, a bounty hunter, or "sweeper". She teaches him the value of a human life, and that one should live in order to repent for one's mistakes rather than die because of them. Through her, Train learns to love and care for other people as he too becomes a sweeper and travels with his partner Sven and the mysterious girl Eve.

You know, it's kinda hard to choose a good anime when there are so many of them out there. One that I would recommend is [B]Getbackers[/B] . It's about these two guys, Ban Midou and Ginji Amanou, who have a recovery service with an [SIZE=1]almost[/SIZE] 100% recovery rate. To put it lightly, they usually get screwed over at the end of each mission because they have no luck with money. It also doesn't help that they have a massive tab at the Honky Tonk cafe. The fighting is well choreographed, the comedy is hilarious, and the story about two down-on-their-luck guys is something that a lot of people can relate to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilyBebeboo
Does anyone know more horror/thriller anime? I was checking some out and I came across this case closed clip. I'd like to see more like this:

[url]http://www.kaneva.com/asset/assetDetails.aspx?assetId=7716&communityId=0[/url]

anyone have ideas on what would be similar?

[color=#007520][SIZE=1][INDENT]Merged your thread with the "Recommended Anime" thread. Just so we can keep all the Anime Recommendations together. -r2[/INDENT][/SIZE][/color]

Ack! Found another good one. Now, I'm not usually one for the serious animes, but I picked up the box set of Gunslinger Girl on a whim, and I have to say, it is great! Little girls that are cyborg assassins is a pretty great start, but make the story a sad one, where the girls are still just girls, even if they are cyborgs, just holds my attention so well. Also, Henrietta scared me a little when she first loses control in the first episode :animecry:

• 1 month later...
Guest bronevaya
so Ive been a fan of anime for awhile now but I do tend to stay away and only watch an episode here and there of certain shows. The thing is that I hate how similar alot of the shows are. The ones I am fond of and have watched a lot of are furi kuri and stellvia (probley because I love enders game so much).

[color=#007520][INDENT][SIZE=1]The thread is a little old, but I'm going to merge you with it anyway since it's pretty much what you're looking for. Give these a quick read through, and I'm sure there'll be a few others with more reccomendations. :) -r2[/SIZE][/INDENT][/color]

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Lime]Happy lesson[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] not a really long series but still one really worth checking out and it now a complete box set so you can find all the episodes in one how cool is that. it's basically another tenchi muyo knock off about a boy named chotise living with 5 teacher trying to turn him into a better person since his parents were killed in a car accident. these 5 teachers/ mothers bring out the best.... and worst of chitose :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]
Eureka Seven. ((YAY)) One of the best animes I've picked up in awhile. It's very Evangelion-esque minus the extreme insainty/some of the psychological aspects.
Here's what Tv.com said: "Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy, who leads a normal, yet boring and uninteresting life with his grandfather mechanic at a backwash town. One day, a mysterious mecha LFO referred to as the Nirvash typeZERO comes by their garage, and the pilot within is the most beautiful girl Renton has ever seen. But the next day, her arrival has attracted much of the United Federation Forces, and she is forced to stop them at any cost. Renton however makes the most life-changing decision in his life. Will he make it, and will he get the Amita Drive to the pilot of the Nirvash?"

It's actually got much more to it than that, It's kept my attention in every episode and the character development's excellent. The music's awesome as well. It's definately an anime that's worth looking into.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Lately, I´ve seen a lot Samurai Champloo and Azumanga Daioh!
And I recommend both to anyone!
Samurai Champloo: Cool Main-charas, cool fights and because of the HipHop-Influence very funny! Normaly I don´t like HipHop. But it makes this Anime unique!

Azumanga Daioh: If you´ve seen it once you can´t stop seeing it again and again!
The word "Insanity" describes it very well...it´s very funny. Drunken teachers, hyperactive girl, a spacey girl from Osaka...do I have to say more?

You should all take a look, if you don´t allready know these two Anime!
You won´t regret it![/COLOR]