OtakuBoards

A thought provoking subject.

Charles

Now, if you know me and you read that little subject there, you're probably asking yourself "What the hell? That guy's a jackass he never posts anything thought provoking!" Well, you'd be right, until now that is. You see, if you are stupid(please don't be ashamed) just skip this topic. Go ahead, hit that back button. Now if you're still here, it's going to involve some reading. Now if you're STILL here let's get to the point of my subject, which is TV censorship.
In american society it is obvious that we need to "save the children" and prevent the contamination of society by any means possible. Most conservative people would complain that we don't have enough censorship, or that we need more censorship because television today exhibits too much profanity, and depicts to many graphic images. Because of this overwhelming concern over what "the children" are being exposed to, groups have formed nation wide such as the Parents Television Council
:o Yes, the infamous PTC and their leader Brent Bozell have taken it upon themselves to save us. The PTC has limited it's wrath to broadcast television "because broadcasters, which use public airwaves to transmit programs, must be licensed by the federal government, although Bozell has since inexplicably talked to looking into cable as well. "Go to a mall and listen to the obscentities," Mr. Bozell tells us on his National Campaign to Clean Up TV Now video. "Turn on the television and watch the latest school shooting. Look at the statistics of all the unwed teenage girls who are walking the streets pregnant. Something is going on here. Today's youth is being poisoned"(The PTC has limited..on down is from Foley is Good by Mick Foley on pages 424 and 436)
So? Is television to blame for society's problems? Is censorship of television the right solution? Does censorship infringe our freedom of expression? Nations such as Japan show nudity on national television and violence. Does this make them vulgar? Are they perverted? Or are they more mature in accepting of the human body? Could they, actually teach their children that you're not supposed to kill people just because you see it on television?
Professor Robert Thompson, the director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University says "Television not only didn't teach us how to swear, it was unbelievable how long it took for television to learn how to swear from everybody else. It's only recently that television has begun to sound remotely like so many Americans talk."(Also from Foley's book page 437)
Well, I'm finally done. What is your opinion on television censorship. Sorry for writing so much. I expect the number of replies on this to be low, so your opinion counts.

Wow that was long to read but it was good.
Heh I dont really think Television affects the children mind its just entertaining people not influincing people.Now if its like when a little kid seeing a big kid doing something and does the same thing someday I say thats influiecing but im not quite sure.
Ah good ol Mick Foley cool guy he is eh to bad he retired from WWF oh wells there goes my thought.

If television is responcible for the stupidity of humans than someone end my life right now.....

My god if parents can't raise their kids correctly then they deserve to have bad kids.... they deserve to have kids that end up like the menedez brothers.... How dare American blame it's problems on TV and Music when there's 3 people to blame for the problem of one kid... The Parents and the Kid him or herself.... thats it..... American needs to learn to stop having music and TV as it's scapegoats.... just shows how cowardly we really are....

All that guy did by saying TV influences kids and is the reason for all our problems is make everyone who listened to him, 10% dumber.

That is so wrong its not even funny. I started playing DOOM when I was 8. Thats supposedly the most influencial game of all. Truth is I have never even went deer hunting. Only thin I have killed is a fly. (well their was a cat that ran out in front of the car but thats another story) I dont have any urges to kill. Kids in other countries have Nudity cussing, violence and more on their public tvs all the time but do you see them with our problem? NO!
they still have one value that where quickly loosing, PARENTING. America is a lazy counrty. all they want to do is blame others for their problems. If their kid kills someone its not because they beat their kid and cuss at him its because he watched that tv show the other day that said the word d@mn.

Oh and to add to that.

Why do you think their trying to censor music so much? Its because of artists like Eminem and Pap Roach who are showing the world in their music that its not music, media, and games and that its parents who are responsible. It makes alot of sense when you look at it and see music is the one being hit the hardest by all the goverment officials.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]
My god if parents can't raise their kids correctly then they deserve to have bad kids.... [/B][/QUOTE]

And those kids go out and kill good kids.

Anyway, this topic isn't really thought provoking, almost every aspect has been analyzed by now, there's nothing new being said.

I dont watch much tv anymore, though it doesnt rot our brains ad conform our minds... well it does conform but only the weak minded... the only tv I watch is at night when all the worthwhile stuff is on. There was this one show on the sci-fi channel last ngiht that was pretty cool and with good meaning, I dont jknow what it was cause I came in near the end of it.. but it was on right before "Dolls", which has to be the funniest horror movie I've seen in a while.. but daytime tv is crap. It's there to entrtain (which it does a pretty crappy job of) not to give us ideas and stuff. People just have easily impressionable minds and copy off what they see...munkie see munkie do

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zaku II [/i]
[B]Oh and to add to that.

Why do you think their trying to censor music so much? Its because of artists like Eminem and Pap Roach who are showing the world in their music that its not music, media, and games and that its parents who are responsible. It makes alot of sense when you look at it and see music is the one being hit the hardest by all the goverment officials. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I don't know why you listed Eminem and Papa Roach.. I mean I don't have anything against them, its just that punk music is hit harder than their music. I actually have to go to certain places to find good punk. All radio stations, in my city at least i dontknow bout yours, dont even play punk. A lot of stores don't sell worthwhile punk, just those who have sold out and aren't any good no more. It pisses me off that I have to go out of my way to find the music I like[/SIZE]

Piro you are very very right. You know how hard it is to find a Kottonmouth Kings CD. A local station the X played their song bump for about a week and that was it. Everything else you have to find the cd first then buy it. You dont even know when they come out with a new cd unless you go to their website,.

[SIZE=1]Lol, I usually hate it when I'm right. Well, we used to ave this one show on tv once that showed just a bunch of music videos that Mtv and VH1 don't air for some reason (so you can guess already that their was a bit of punk in there), but that show got canceled for some reason and I was so pissed! Now I can't even watch AFI's (my fav band) music video's anymore! :mad:[/SIZE]

It's definately the parents' responsibility in teaching and protecting their kids. There's no other way around it. I hate it when people try to pass on their consequences to something else. You reap what you sow, you can choose your choices but not your consequences. Accept them and learn...

heh, I just realized something.... probably the reason why I like only a few punk bands is 'cause I've only [i]heard of[/i] a few punk bands! wow, what a concept.... MxPx rules... :D

P.S. tv sucks anyway, kids should be running around outside playing fort or making tree houses, not planted on the floor turning into a vegetable...

Television influences kids about as much as the air they breathe. I think it's time that people stop hiding behind such excuses and using musical artists, and television as scapegoats. It's time for the parents to stop leaving their kids alone for a week and not knowing if they'll see their father or mother again. It's time for parents to stop getting wasted right in front of their kids or smoking weed in front of their kids. Or ignoring them, it's parents that help turn the kids into who they are today. And also kids should take responsibly for what they've done, not ****ing whine when they get sentenced to death for killing someone just like anyone else, and killing someone by using their parents gun that was left out. Parents need to take responsibility for the kids they raise and if they can't properly bring a child into the world then they've no right to have one.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]$6??! holy heck, I gotta get that (lol, that sounded so corny :D)
NEways what stores sell them? could I find them at Camelot Music?? [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Lol, well I've never heard of Camelot music.. but if I can find em at places like K-Mart I'm sure you'll be able to find em at Camelot Music. A lot of places sell em but not a lot of em. I'm usually suprised when i find two! lol. but ya they are just about everywhere..[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I know the truth I just choose to ignore it in most cases!:D[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

hey, that's me! lol, and you've never heard of Camelot Music?? It's in our mall, I dunno, I guess I figured it was national like MediaPlay or something... anywho, I'll have to make a little trippy to Walmart after school tomorrow........ *tear* and only $6! I [i]have[/i] $6, wow.... *sniffles* :D

[B]hey, that's me! lol, and you've never heard of Camelot Music?? It's in our mall, I dunno, I guess I figured it was national like MediaPlay or something... anywho, I'll have to make a little trippy to Walmart after school tomorrow........ *tear* and only $6! I [i]have[/i] $6, wow.... *sniffles* :D [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Heh heh, I've never heard of MediaPlay either:D I like to get my cds from Drastic Plastic it has a good selection and cheaper prices, but it's way on the other side of town so I can't get there often.. :( Also, I've never seen puNK-O-RAma at Wal-Mart so I'm not sure if it'll be there..just ta let you know. Though we live in different places so.. ya[/SIZE]

[B]dude [i]where[/i] do you live??! you've never heard of media play? well, I've never heard of Drastic plastic.... I live in Georgia btw, and I'm leaving asap! [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Lmao.. I live in Omaha,NE 'Home of the Deprived'.. I'm also leaving this place asap[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]So? Is television to blame for society's problems? Is censorship of television the right solution? Does censorship infringe our freedom of expression? Nations such as Japan show nudity on national television and violence. Does this make them vulgar? Are they perverted? Or are they more mature in accepting of the human body? Could they, actually teach their children that you're not supposed to kill people just because you see it on television?
[/B][/QUOTE]
No. No. Some what. No. NO! Yes. Yes.