OtakuBoards

Question-

Mistral

Maybe I missed some kind of memo thing, or post, or warning. But what happened to the vote down option on art? I mean, for sissy-candy people it's alright. But I'd rather get a bad rating than none at all. Now the people who genuinly think that that person has no talent, cannot express it. Maybe leave a comment, but if it's too mean, like "You should practice more" (sarcasm), then all their little friends will come at them like man eating fish.

And there's no post counter to put some people above others! ): Why is the site so into being nice to the weak now?

[quote name='Mistral']And there's no post counter to put some people above others! ): Why is the site so into being nice to the weak now?[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Seeing as your first question relates to MyOtaku, I'm going to leave it to active artists to respond, however your second question seems to contain a broadside shot at everyone on this site for being "nice to weak people" on account we don't have a hierarchy based on post count.

If you want to see what someone's post count is, you can check it in their profile, however seeing as you seem to be more interested in ranking yourself against everyone else, the Post setting on the Member's List is more what you're looking for, which can be found through this hyperlink.

[url]http://www.otakuboards.com/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=50<r=[/url]

Now hopefully you won't take this as me not being "nice" to you on account my post count obviously dwarfs yours, thus putting me miles above you by your own logic, but post count means absolutely nothing unless you're a complete and utter competition freak, big deal someone has more posts that you, it doesn't make them any better, or you any worse, [b]quality above quantity[/b] has always been Otakuboards working motto.[/SIZE]

Thank you for slightly clearing things up.

And no, if I wanted to be an utter competition freak, I'd be posting and spamming everywhere to get more post count. As you see, I'm a newbie on the boards. Not myotaku. Anywho. I like seeing how many posts I've posted, since I usually forget passwords, user names, and ect. I like having the count. And who said I was complaining against the 'weaker' people? Weaker, being new people, mind you. Everyone started somewhere, if I'm old somewhere I started their new (weak) too. It's fine being nice to newer people, I'm not complaining about that.

I'm mostly complaining about how it goes so far as to not let people even express themselves. Be it expressing dislike.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][quote name='Mistral'] And who said I was complaining against the 'weaker' people? Weaker, being new people, mind you. Everyone started somewhere, if I'm old somewhere I started their new (weak) too. It's fine being nice to newer people, I'm not complaining about that.[/quote]You did, in your own words: And by the way being new doesn't mean you are weak. [QUOTE=Mistral]//snip// But what happened to the vote down option on art? I mean, for [b]sissy-candy people[/b] it's alright. But I'd rather get a bad rating than none at all. Now the people who genuinly think that that person has no talent, cannot express it. Maybe leave a comment, but if it's too mean, like "You should practice more" (sarcasm), then all their little friends will come at them like man eating fish.

And there's no post counter to put some people above others! ): [b]Why is the site so into being nice to the weak now?[/b][/QUOTE]If you really weren?t complaining then you wouldn?t have brought it up and turned around and implied that the only reason it was changed was because newer artists are [I]weaklings or sissy-candy people[/I] as you put it. And who says you can?t express that someone needs improvement? Again you are implying that if their picture is bad that they have no ?talent? You?re completely ignoring the fact that many artists do it just for fun and even for those who don?t, it take time and practice to get better at your drawings.

You also seem to be implying that those with talent never have their art voted down. Plenty of people who are talented had their art voted down on a regular basis by others who were just being jerks. The vote down option meant that they could say no without saying why. Removing the vote down options means that now you have to put effort into your comment explaining what you think they need to work on instead of a simple you have no talent comment which is not only rude, but does nothing to help the artist improve.

I would imagine that the vote down option was removed to stop all the idiots out there who assume that others who don?t draw as well as they did have no talent. Or to stop those who would vote no on those who did have talent just because they could.

As for your own post count here, as others already said, just click on the my profile link on the left sidebar of the forum and you will find the information you are looking for. [/COLOR]

Whoo! Thank you Aaryanna~ That's all I needed. I know that some people who had talent, with maybe too much talent so much so that people got jealous were voted down on. Do you think someday they might come up with a set up that'll just make it harder to vote down?

And to the people who can't answer my question but feel the need to bring up my ONE-TWO SENTENCED remark on new people being weak. Jeez. I'm not apologizing or sucking up for being ooooohh so serious and rude when I said weak. I'm not changing it. You can keep posting things about me saying it. I don't mind. I can't promise I'll read it all, though.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][quote name='Mistral'] Do you think someday they might come up with a set up that'll just make it harder to vote down?[/quote]It would certainly be a nice improvement. Since the previous system in my opinion really did nothing for the artist. I mean I have a few submissions I put up that in all honesty aren?t that great since I did them on the computer. But I still did at least try and for first attempts I thought they weren?t too horrible, and yet within seconds of one going up it was immediately voted down and the person couldn?t even be bothered to explain why or what they thought I could improve on.

I think the way it was made it all to easy to bash others work by down voting it instead of giving feedback on how they could improve. And it was even more easy since they didn?t know who had voted no or even yes unless the person left a comment. I ran into all sorts of nasty comments left by other members who seemed to delight in voting no and telling the artist they sucked. Even when though they were fairly new, it was obvious they had put a lot of work into their pieces.

If the person couldn?t vote no without leaving a comment then it would be a better system as they would have no choice but to provide some form of explanation. And even then I think a no vote is pointless when you think about it. Most artists that I know are looking for two things, comments that others like what they have done, and comments with tips to help them improve. So I don?t see how voting no is even necessary as you can leave a comment, where you point out what you like and then point out what they could improve on.

And the other thing that never fails to amaze me is, if you don?t like it, don?t comment or vote. There is plenty of art that is a bit on the more dark side that I don?t care for and it seems stupid to let my personal preference get in the way of commenting on fan art. So if I truly dislike a piece, I just leave it be, unless I see something I think they could have fixed. Everyone had different opinions as to what they like and I think it?s stupid to vote no because you don?t like say the series it?s from or the person who drew it.[/COLOR]

quality art is not important in anime anyway... just look at inu-yasha XD I kid I kid!!!! DONT CRUCIFY ME! It's a great show.... *cough, storywise anyway, cough*
I think that there should be a rating system based purely on kudos, good people will naturally get alot. unless people go around boosting their friends score... which is not something I would put past people. I'm not out to hurt anyones feelings. And I feel bad for people who are just starting out and are inexperienced and looking for help. But if you're nothing short of a Napolean Dynamite monstrosity and you're portraying yourself as the next Myazaki you're in for a downfall anyway... whether its on Otaku, or not.

It'd be cool if they had it based on the thumbs up thumbs down thing, like if you voted thumbs up, you could vote up. But then there's that thing of "Oops wrong button". . . So nevermind me. What if the user had control over if they wanted people to vote at all? Or if the down vote had as much oomph as the up vote? But then probably people would tease them about it.

[QUOTE=Mistral]Whoo! Thank you Aaryanna~ That's all I needed. I know that some people who had talent, with maybe too much talent so much so that people got jealous were voted down on. Do you think someday they might come up with a set up that'll just make it harder to vote down?

And to the people who can't answer my question but feel the need to bring up my ONE-TWO SENTENCED remark on new people being weak. Jeez. I'm not apologizing or sucking up for being ooooohh so serious and rude when I said weak. I'm not changing it. You can keep posting things about me saying it. I don't mind. I can't promise I'll read it all, though.[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I totally answered your question, man. Or maybe you only saw me accusing you of being weak. Either way, you said it first, so dammit, I ran with it. [i]Ran I say![/i][/font][/color][/size]

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]It was a sentence long but it was stupid and hilarious. Who's silly, you for saying it originally, or me for making lulz out of your weaknesses? [i]I think I know who, kid.[/i] In conclusion, it's a joke, laugh at it, laugh at yourself, and get over it.[/font][/color][/size]

Then if I was being dead serious I wouldn't have put a smiley, nyeh? Cough, ahem. This one --> ): <--. It's not really a weakness because no one can really hurt me because of it. And who are you to be calling kid? You don't know my age, I don't really care to know your's. But you're probably like, 15 or something. Being as childish as you are, to keep posting over and over about a comment. So why don't we wrap this up and say if you stop bringing it up, which you keep doing. I won't bring it up. I'm asking only on topic of my original question, about voting on fan art.

You can keep bringing it up, it's not terribly important, but it shows you have nothing else to do with your time. It's fine, because I'll post back. Because I don't have anything to do with my time either.