Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
G'day all I'm from Australia and was just wondering what you all might think of our little landmass at the bottom of the world..It can be anything at all, like what comes to mind when you think of Australia, what the people or country are like, or even just rumors or things you have heard about it..I promise I won't be offended.. :catgirl:
Posted
Best. Country. Ever.
I'm from Australia myself, so you could say my views on the country of Australia are a little biased. :p


[img]http://www.appliedlanguage.com/flags_of_the_world/large_flag_of_australia.gif[/img]

Just a little. the best country in the world thingy, that's no exaggeration. ;)
Posted
well i guess what first comes to mind are the vast deserts, kangaroos and thoose cute koala bears. and uh, hot weather. *note i have never been there and to top it all off i live in Wisconsin, US; here it rarely gets over 80 in the summer.
[IMG]http://www.animevisions.net/Pictures/ceres/Ceres3.jpg[/IMG]

i like this pic, dont you?
Posted
[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=inuyashaXDkiss]well i guess what first comes to mind are the vast deserts, kangaroos and thoose cute koala bears. and uh, hot weather. *note i have never been there and to top it all off i live in Wisconsin, US; here it rarely gets over 80 in the summer.
[IMG]http://www.animevisions.net/Pictures/ceres/Ceres3.jpg[/IMG]

i like this pic, dont you?[/QUOTE]
Protip: They're koalas, not koala [i]bears[/i]. Also, thos vast deserts are avoided by pretty much 99% of Australians. It's so ideallic and wonderful in photos, but damn it's hot and horrible. Common tourist mistakes, don't sweat it.

Australia is pretty awesome. Well, Queensland at least. Since I'm there. Queensland is awesome by virtue of it being my home, and NSW is crap because it isn't. Victoria too (burn Jeh, burn).[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
Protip: They're koalas, not koala [i]bears[/i]. Also, thos vast deserts are avoided by pretty much 99% of Australians. It's so ideallic and wonderful in photos, but damn it's hot and horrible. Common tourist mistakes, don't sweat it.

Australia is pretty awesome. Well, Queensland at least. Since I'm there. Queensland is awesome by virtue of it being my home, and NSW is crap because it isn't. Victoria too (burn Jeh, burn).[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Queensland's okay in the winter but its way to humid in the summer I'm from country Victoria nice and warm all year round..Which is also semi-desert and not all australians avoid them some find them very interesting.. :D
Posted
[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Are we allowed to say Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee ? Because seriously, that's my answer, and I've actually been in Australia not seven months ago. Mostly I was in Tassie, which I know the rest of you Aussies think might as well be a different country, but having come from Ireland I found the weather to be a good bit warmer without being too different. I really enjoyed it, despite it being a heck of a lot more laid back than I'd be used to, and plan to go back in about 18 months if I can, though this time I'd like to see more of the mainland.[/SIZE]
Posted
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=1][B]Kangaroos. :animeknow
Whenever somebody says 'Austrailia', I don't know why, but the kangaroos automatically come to mind. Like Iceland and Ice Cream. Though we're not talking about Iceland, so I don't know why I said that. xP[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
[color=#9933ff]Well, to be perfectly honest, it's that stupid phrase "G'day all" which I've been told most people don't do? Is that right?

And the second thing I think of is usually Steve Irwin. =( I really liked him. I used to watch all of his shows. =(

The third thing I think of is Melbourne. I don't ever really think of Sydney, and I never really think of the opera house. It's all about Melbourne. Of course, I think that's because one of my favorite actors plays a character whose hometown is Melbourne. So err... >_> And BTW, that actor would be the lovely Jesse Spencer who plays the ever gorgeous Dr. Robert Chase on the completely wonderful House M.D.

I'll tell you, it's really hard to tell the difference between accents from anyone who's not from the USA or Canada. Couldn't tell you any of the different English accents ('cept maybe cockney? It's really weird), and I can't tell you the difference between a Welsh and Australian accent. Mistook a hot, hot Welsh man for an Australian once (but I didn't say anything so I wasn't embarrassed). He looked like the stereotypical Australian surfer dude. ...Which I guess is another thing that comes to mind when I think of Australia, albeit not really one of the first.

Stereotypes aside (because I know i've mentioned a lot), I always think of the costal cities in Australia (even though most of it is desert - lol), and the wide blue ocean. It just seems so picturesque, and... almost like you could go to the beach every day. ^^; (well, in the summer...)

Most Aussies I know are cool. I cite James and Baron Samedi for the time being. ^^; *pounces on them* [/color]
Posted
[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']Well, to be perfectly honest, it's that stupid phrase "G'day all" which I've been told most people don't do? Is that right?[/color][/quote]
Not unless we're being ironic.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]One of the first things I think of is that there are kangaroos there and the funnel web spider. Spiders = Blech!

The other thing is I think of the accent the people there have and how cute it sounds. ^_^ Now it also makes me think of the cute couple I met on my recent trip to Yellowstone National Park. They were from Australia and not only did they have that cute accent, they were very nice and friendly. It was their first time to visit America so they were pretty excited about it.

Oh and one other thing, I always think, that?s where James lives! :catgirl: [/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][color=Indigo][size=1][font=Arial]
Not unless we're being ironic.[/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE][color=crimson] Any other time, it's "G'day mate, put another shrimp on the barbie, where the bloody hell are ya?" ;)

I enjoyed our trip to Australia a few years back, and that's how I think of Australia when I do think about it.

Friendly people, awesome theme parks, feeding kangaroos and holding the koalas. Burger King being called Hungry Jacks. This nice restaurant chain called Sizzler. Awesome stuff.

I'd go back there in a flash if my finances allowed for it. [/color]
Posted
I think of [URL=http://www.sweetmarias.com/map.australia.jpg] [this][/URL]

And of Alan and that crazy fool Baron, wherever he be.
Guest DarkAngel Blaze
Posted
I think of "crikey" !!!! (r.i.p.) And of forests..... idunno why though...

Oh yeah! the voices in my head say 'kangoroos' :animeswea
Posted
[size=1]Let's see... I think of that catchy song "I come from the land down under," Steve Irwin, and kangaroos.

And for some reason, the word 'belligerent' comes to mind as well. Don't ask me why.[/size]
Posted
oy mate. the first thing i think of when i hear australia is the simpsons episode when they go there and bart is playing with his knfe. Then some weird dude comes along and is like "You call that a knife. This is a knife" and he whips out a Spoon. man thats a clasisic

"Dont Treat on me"
Posted
When I think of Australia my mind quickly goes through a list of items. Usually it starts with the generic "tourist" sites (ie Ayers Rock, Sydney Opera House, Great Barrier Reef...) then the critters like koalas and kangaroos...which then leads me to Yellow Tail wines which have a pic of a kangaroo on it and is made in Australia. Of course thinking about Australian wines makes me think of other food products like Vegemite. That of course leads into Men At Work songs.

After I start thinking about them I start to think of other celebrities from Down Under like Kylie Minogue and Steve Irwin (who's wife was a vet tech in Oregon which then may make me think of Oregon or Veterinary Technology...). While on the topic of celebrity I think of that movie "Muriel's Wedding". When thinking of that movie I start to hear the soundtrack with ABBA. That of course makes me think of Sweden and I am no longer thinking of Australia.

I also somewhere in the mix will think of my friends online who live in Australia. :animesigh
Posted
[quote name='Panda']Of course thinking about Australian wines makes me think of other food products like Vegemite.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]God, I'd forgotten about that... substance, watching my cousin plaster a slice of toast in the morning with Vegemite was nearly enough to make me sick.

I've thought of something else that I really was surprised by in Tasmania, the sheer amount of road-kill you guys have is unreal, I swear we never went more than ten feet on the main highways without seeing some variety of squashed animal. That and the whole "fox" incident while I was over there, that was hilarious. [/SIZE]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua]When I think of Austrailia, I think of DOOM!

There's so many poisonous animals there from what I read and saw on tv. There's spiders, snakes, scorpians...the PLATYPUS! :eek:

Also, I think about the geological aspects, like the Great Barrier Reef and having winter when it's summer in Canada.

Then there's that kookaburra song...and other weird looking animals.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]
Are we allowed to say Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee ?.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Yeah, thats really what comes to mind when I think of Australia, Crocodile Dundee. Him and Outback Steakhouse, oh and kangaroo's in Kangaroo Jack. Seriously though, I don't really think about anything when someone says Australia or something about Australia, I just go blank. Yay me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Land of animal freaks. Can you really blame me?

You guys have platapoose (spelling) which are these little mammals with duck bills that lay eggs! Kangaroos that give birth to their young before they are fully developed and their babies crawl into their pouches to finish growing (Did I get that right?) and Koalas.

It's probably a very nice place to visit. It would confuse the heck out of me because it'd be near one hundred in December and I'm from Upstate New York where we have -10 degrees and about five feet of snow at that time. But it would be nice to visit.

Seriously that's all I can think of. Well that and Pyro from X-Men.[/color][/font]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...