OtakuBoards

Storylines

Nerdsy

[COLOR=royalblue]Okay, before I start, I have no clue what forum this belongs in, so I just put it in what seemed to me to be the most active gaming forum. So If I put this in the wrong forum... sorry.. Just blame the bottle...[/COLOR] :alcohol:

[COLOR=purple]Storylines... They put a lot into a game. But at what cost?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]Sure storylines add to the plot of a game and makes it fun to watch... But it also takes away from actual playing time and how fun it is to play. I compare FFX to the original as first bit of evidence...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]In FFX, I played for two hours and I only fought random battles in one area, and that lasted less then five minutes, while I haven't even played for two hours on the original Final Fantasy, and I had done nothing but play.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]Also, in games where storylines are huge, they tend to have very tedious scenes. Like you get past 10 minutes of story where they do nothing but talk, then have to take a few steps to get to the next part. Or do some other things that could easily have been left out.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=deeppink]Alright, those are some of my views... Let's hear your's. I look forward to them... Heh, I also want to see how the almighty James comes and crushes any argument I can give with his supremecy... That's always fun...^_^'''[/COLOR]

Well, that's like Godeneye: The World Is Not Enough compared to the first one, Goldeneye: 007. In TWINE, they talk, and have random arguments, and talk over the phone and all that, as with the first one, Goldeneye: 007, you just play, like a nomal good game. I just think that today's games are getting too bigger storylines, and the old ones are the ones I am still having fun playing, as with the new ones, well, they get boring with all the talking and such..... :D :D :toothy: ........

[color=rainbow] Interesting...so it seems here people want play over plot...but I think the solution is to be equal in both, which is rare now...That's what I plan to do when I get older, make a huge RPG with a really good plot which is very deep, and yet loads and loads of gameplay and exploring so the gaming scocity don't fall asleep.:sleep: I find that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a good example of this. A rich, deep plot, and alot of gameplay, which seems to mix right in with the plot of it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matt.D [/i]
[B][color=rainbow] Interesting...so it seems here people want play over plot...but I think the solution is to be equal in both, which is rare now...That's what I plan to do when I get older, make a huge RPG with a really good plot which is very deep, and yet loads and loads of gameplay and exploring so the gaming scocity don't fall asleep.:sleep: I find that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a good example of this. A rich, deep plot, and alot of gameplay, which seems to mix right in with the plot of it.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=purple]Ah yes, a good game, good mix of storyline and gameplay... But, in my opinion, the perfect example of a good blend of a winning storyline storyling and great gameplay is Ocarina of Time. One of the funnest(?) games I have ever played, and one of the best storylines I've ever heard.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Very nice points made here. While some games have great story lines, I agree that it takes too much time and effort to work them out, taking away from the real reason you got the GAME. . to PLAY. If I wanted something with a storyline as thick as in Final Fantasy games, I would just go rent a stupid movie.

I love games that can work in a story line while still giving you what you want - a GAME! Is it really that hard. You brought up LoZ:OoT. That was a GREAT game. It had a perfectly done mix of story line and adventure. Plus, they worked playing into getting more story line. I loved the action in there. While it was more of an action game then an RPG, I still don't see why pure RPGs have that hard of a time adding in a story line without killing the whole point of people paying the $50 for the game in the first place - TO PLAY THE GAME!! >_<

Just one of the reasons I don't play Final Fantasy anymore. Sorry. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo]Yes, I agree with people about the Final Fantasy series have "too much storyline". I played through FFII, FFIII and FFVII but I stopped playing FFIX about half-way through the third CD. In the newer FF games, the gameplay seems a bit more linier than the old ones. If there's one thing I really like in a game, it's being able to explore and take my time.

Okay, I'm going to start talking about the Zelda game's storylines. Prepare for a looooong rambling.

For the storylines of the Zelda games, I like ones with lots of story, mainly telling about the history behind the game. But, it also has to have lots of enemies and puzzles too. This is the main reason why my favorite Zelda game is A Link To the Past. I has [I]lots[/I] of information about the history of Hyrule, but at the same time, it has lots of secrets to find and it has two big maps to explore. It also has just the right ammount of enemies. In the The Legend of Zelda, there were too many, but in Ocarina of Time, there weren't enough. But, there [I]was[/I] a lot of history in Ocarina of Time that kept me playing it to the end. Specifically, it shows how Link started out, and it tells more about the creation of the world and the Triforce. It also tells a lot more about the Sacred Realm, or the Golden Land as it came to be called later in the history.
The Legend of Zelda did keep my playing 'til the end (of both quests) even though it has practically no storyline, but I think that's because I already know the storyline behind it, from playing the other games such as A Link To the Past and Ocarina of Time.
Link's Awakening was a whole new adventure with a totally different storyline, so it held me to the end, because I wanted to know more about Koholint Island and the Wind Fish. It also introduced some good gameplay mechanics by letting you use two items at once (besides your sword). For example, this let you shoot arrows with bombs on the end and jump over long pits with the Pegasus Boots and Roc's Feather. Another thing it introduced to the Zelda games was jumping. While in A Link To the Past, you could bounce off walls by running into them with the Pegasus Shoes, you couldn't jump from wherever you wanted. And yes, you could jump in The Adventure of Link, but that was a mostly side-scrolling game that had more of a platform game feel to it, where you really needed to be able to jump.
As for Oracle of Ages/Seasons, I have yet to play Seasons much, but Ages got old after the fifth dungeon. I think the main reason for this was because it was [I]way[/I] to linier. At the start, you could barely go anywhere, because you didn't have any items. That means you only get to explore little bits of the world at a time, and only after you beat a dungeon. Also, it offered [I]very[/I] little story. If it had a nice rich story about the land of Labrynna and how it was connected to Hyrule, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.
While Majora's Mask has more a [I]little[/I] more history about the land of Termina, there wasn't enough gameplay to make up for that lack. Again, like in Ocarina of Time, there were barely any enemies, particularly in the dungeons.
Having barely played The Adventure of Link and Oracle of Seasons, I won't talk about them since I don't know too much about them.

This concludes my ramble about the Zelda games. I told you it was gonna be long.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm... since Nerdsy didn't get what he wanted by James coming in and I havn't posted here yet I will be bring this topic back because well, it's a good topic.

I like games that are games and games with storyline. Like in FFX, although the gameplay is minimal It more than makes up for it with it's beuaty and storyline. To make a point I'm going to try to refer this to books, and movies. These two deal only with story. They are very enjoyable with a big differance. The movie is short and it's got beauty that is definite and clear to everyone and it usually leaves you thinking because it too short to explain everything, but with books the autour has no restrainst other than time, he can creat a story with no holes in it, and this is a differnt kind of beauty. You imagine it however you want and is more abstract, also a good book can last a lot longer than a movie. What I think a game is is a mix between the both, which you consider the game and story, the book beaing more like the story and the movie more like the game.

This wasn't a perfect explanation but it worked.

Also I think a perfect mix between story and gameplay was Golden Sun and I'm sure many people will agree. It had a great storyline that gave me goosebumps, and was very enyoable. It also had good gameplay parts such as puzzles, it was a very long adventure and fun with great story. This reminds me of Link to the Past (read last part), which had a perfect blend.

Ugg... I hope I didn't confuse you to much.