OtakuBoards

Bending The Rules of Admissions

cancer

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]So! I'm planning on going to a prestigious art school in the Fall of 2007. However, due to some issues of no importance, I have yet to apply to those schools, and many of them have already passed deadline for admissions. However, I know how many people drop out, or just don't show up, and some extra students are always allowed in. I am having a friend who works for Disney talk to Disney about internships and scholarships, because I really don't have the money for college. Also, I'm going to be talking to a guy who knows where all the big scholarship money is. Also, a Dean of Admissions of a college is going to be writing letters to schools on my behalf. So I'm hoping I can get in. Does anyone here have any advice for me? I really need advice now more than ever.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font=arial]Er, yeah, I pretty much agree with DeadSeraphim on this. lol

Other than what he said...I can only advise you to keep pushing in all directions. Also, most art schools (at least the ones I have dealt with) usually require an interview and they also usually require you to show a portfolio of work.

So in addition to your other efforts, I would be working hard to put together an impressive portfolio to show prospective schools. This demonstrates your commitment to your work and it also gives them an idea of your natural talent - this will be a major factor to convince them to let you in, especially if you have applied late.[/font]

[quote name='cancer][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1] Does anyone here have any advice for me? I really need advice now more than ever.[/SIZE][/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Start preparing for the next time they admit students, you know, just in case you don't get in. Even with everything you say you're doing, I'm sure you're not the only student applying late. So it wouldn't hurt to start getting things ready for the next round of admissions. That way if things don't work out you won't miss it when it comes up again.

what about starting out a community type college this year and getting things ready to apply to art school next year ??
that way you can get some of the easier pre-requisites out of the way, work on your portfolio and admissions paperwork, and be ready to apply the next go around .

i know a LOT of people that do this, the only thing is you need to make sure the art college you want to go to will accept the credits from the community college.

[quote name='cancer][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]However, due to some issues of no importance, I have yet to apply to those schools, and many of them have already passed deadline for admissions.[/SIZE][/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]It would seem, then, that these issues are actually of importance after all.

[I]*ahem*[/I]

So then. Aside from the (very much) aforementioned suggestion of getting on the ball earlier, checking out a local community college isn't such a bad idea. If you do your research right, you can take courses this year that'll transfer over to the college you wish to be admitted to, saving you some time and a good bit of money. And we all know money is a nice thing to have more of.

This is assuming, naturally, that your other contacts end up failing you and [U]you[/U] end up not attending the college you want to this year. And remember, you can always decline to attend anywhere that has accepted you, but it's a little harder to get into someplace late. Simple, yet easy to forget.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm not sure if they do this in the US (I'm assuming that's where your from) but here in the UK you can apply for a government grant which pay's for all the fee's, though it depend's on circumstance, you can't get it if you are working for example[/COLOR]

[color=dimgray] There's always financial aid. And if you're sure that you're not going to graduate school, student loans work too.

As for getting into prestigious art school... Not to be a ragger, but any sort of top school wouldn't accept a student only on the word of another dean (unless your portfolio blows the admissions' brains away).

And about the accepted students who decide not to go- most colleges will pick people on their wait list to fill those empty spots.

But yeah, working on a portfolio for next year and in the meantime attending a community college is the best way to go if you don't get in.[/color]