OtakuBoards

Anime's pros and cons

black rurouni

Okay, first off, slow down a bit when typing. I had to read that post like four times before I got what you were saying.

Anime's pros and cons hunh? Well, there are a lot of pros, but I've got one con, but this goes for any serialized comic/manga/anime/cartoon. If you don't start from the beginning watching/reading it, you get easily confused. I tried to explain Naruto to my sister, and she didn't get any of it. The thing about anime is that there rarely any simple or simplistic anime story.

[QUOTE=yinyang]Okay, first off, slow down a bit when typing. I had to read that post like four times before I got what you were saying.

Anime's pros and cons hunh? Well, there are a lot of pros, but I've got one con, but this goes for any serialized comic/manga/anime/cartoon. If you don't start from the beginning watching/reading it, you get easily confused. I tried to explain Naruto to my sister, and she didn't get any of it. The thing about anime is that there rarely any simple or simplistic anime story.[/QUOTE]why didn't you go to youtube and show her some episodes. that way she gets it and might like it

It's hard to think of pros and cons that apply to most (not to mention all) anime. I'd say that limited budgets would top my lists of cons, though. Even the best-animated TV shows could be a lot better. Shows that demonstrate gorgeous, creative animation in some episodes inevitably look awkward or cheap in others. And it's a shame when a series with an incredible story has to rely on uninspiring, generic animation.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]It's hard to think of pros and cons that apply to most (not to mention all) anime. I'd say that limited budgets would top my lists of cons, though. Even the best-animated TV shows could be a lot better. Shows that demonstrate gorgeous, creative animation in some episodes inevitably look awkward or cheap in others. And it's a shame when a series with an incredible story has to rely on uninspiring, generic animation.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]yes, this is a rather big issue with all anime (and I'm guessing you had [B]ARIA [/B] in mind when you wrote this post, no?) My hangup happens to be with [B]King of Bandits Jing[/B], one of my favorite manga ever which had a subpar anime (though when I was newer to anime, it was still amazing, heh).

I'd say the biggest con of anime is having to put up with [B]Narutards [/B] and the like. I don't know about others, but where I live [B]Naruto [/B] is HUGE within the goth community and there's always people wearing Naruto shirts and stuff. What's sad is that, unlike [B]Dragonball Z[/B], most of these people know tht Naruto is anime, as well as the BS on [B]AS[/B], and proclaim themselves 'anime fans' when a great deal of them have seen no more than 10-15 shows. Even if your just watching stuff that's out in the US, there's no excuse to be so freaking undereducated.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]yes, this is a rather big issue with all anime (and I'm guessing you had [B]ARIA [/B'] in mind when you wrote this post, no?)[/COLOR][/quote]
I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but that's a good guess. Aria's visuals are serviceable when they could be so much more.

The Jing OVA is much, much better-looking (and better written and directed) than the TV series. I liked it enough to get the R2 DVDs, although I didn't care for the show and have not read any of the manga.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but that's a good guess. Aria's visuals are serviceable when they could be so much more.

The Jing OVA is much, much better-looking (and better written and directed) than the TV series. I liked it enough to get the R2 DVDs, although I didn't care for the show and have not read any of the manga.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]You just made me die a little inside. I've wanted to see that SOOO bad for SO long, it's painful. Wait a minute... I wonder if there's a sub of it that I never found before because I didn't do subs back then?! Am I so stupid this never occured to me?! Dagger, i could kiss you right now!

*runs off to find out*[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]
I'd say the biggest con of anime is having to put up with [B]Narutards [/B] and the like. I don't know about others, but where I live [B]Naruto [/B] is HUGE within the goth community and there's always people wearing Naruto shirts and stuff. What's sad is that, unlike [B]Dragonball Z[/B], most of these people know tht Naruto is anime, as well as the BS on [B]AS[/B], and proclaim themselves 'anime fans' when a great deal of them have seen no more than 10-15 shows. Even if your just watching stuff that's out in the US, there's no excuse to be so freaking undereducated.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=comic sans ms]I agree, somewhat. I'm one of those people that have seen about 10-15 shows (maybe 10-20), and is undereducated about a great deal of anime stuff. (that,and because I'm picky with my animes :)) Does that make me an anime fan? I'd like to think so, but I'd consider myself just a casual fan because I don't dwell on it too much.

I agree on having to put up with "Narutards" as you put it, but in my case, anime fans in general. Fans that becomes obsessed with shows, and characters to the point to where they become real defensive when you mention one itty bitty negative comment about something or some character(s) they like.

And then we have those fans that has to say some fanboyish comment. "....... ROXORS" or "...... PWNS". I've never been to a convention, so obviously, most of my anime experience comes from the internet, so, and one has to wonder if an anime online community is that bad, are they much worse offline.[/font]

[QUOTE=Phenom][font=comic sans ms]I agree, somewhat. I'm one of those people that have seen about 10-15 shows (maybe 10-20), and is undereducated about a great deal of anime stuff. (that,and because I'm picky with my animes :)) Does that make me an anime fan? I'd like to think so, but I'd consider myself just a casual fan because I don't dwell on it too much.

I agree on having to put up with "Narutards" as you put it, but in my case, anime fans in general. Fans that becomes obsessed with shows, and characters to the point to where they become real defensive when you mention one itty bitty negative comment about something or some character(s) they like.

And then we have those fans that has to say some fanboyish comment. "....... ROXORS" or "...... PWNS". I've never been to a convention, so obviously, most of my anime experience comes from the internet, so, and one has to wonder if an anime online community is that bad, are they much worse offline.[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]i will tell you right now, they are WAY worse offline, because that is where they have power. You see, on any site that takes itself seriously (i.e. OB or Megatokyo, the two places I hang out), these people are perpetual 'noobs'. No matter what, a narutard is a n00b until he becomes educated. Now, don't get me wrong, there are FAR more sites that are brimming with tose people than those that aren't (i.e. gaia and the like), but that's why the internet is magical. You don't have to go there!

Meanwhile, in the outside world, those people are everywhere and you can't do anything about it![/COLOR]

In addition to the budget issues many series are plagued with, I would say fillers are an anime con. They are a necessary because of the production time vs. airing time but many times series, especially long ones, will venture off into left field with a side story that is lacking, characters that are boring and just end up being bland. There are exceptions to the rule but more often than not the fillers are painfully slow and fans just have to struggle through until the original story arcs begin again.

A pro. That is a bit tougher for me. I would have to say something like series that are based on music. When they make the transition from manga to anime you now get to hear the music that is a major component to the series. Series like Gravitation, Beck, and Nana I really enjoyed when I got to hear the music from the bands. This could be a con for others, but I enjoy those series more when I have actual music to go along with the series.

[QUOTE=Panda]In addition to the budget issues many series are plagued with, I would say fillers are an anime con. They are a necessary because of the production time vs. airing time but many times series, especially long ones, will venture off into left field with a side story that is lacking, characters that are boring and just end up being bland. There are exceptions to the rule but more often than not the fillers are painfully slow and fans just have to struggle through until the original story arcs begin again.

A pro. That is a bit tougher for me. I would have to say something like series that are based on music. When they make the transition from manga to anime you now get to hear the music that is a major component to the series. Series like Gravitation, Beck, and Nana I really enjoyed when I got to hear the music from the bands. This could be a con for others, but I enjoy those series more when I have actual music to go along with the series.[/QUOTE]how is ''I enjoy those series more when I have actual music to go along with the series'' a con, it should be a pro to you.

[quote name='black rurouni']how is ''I enjoy those series more when I have actual music to go along with the series'' a con, it should be a pro to you.[/quote]
It's not a con for me. I have music listed as a pro. I said it could be a con [b]for others[/b]. This could be since they may not like the casting of musicians, songs or some other reason. Just because it's a pro for me does not mean it would not be a con for someone else. I was just acknowledging that in my post. For me, a music based manga being converted to anime is a pro since it gives me actual music to go along with the story.

[quote name='Panda]It's not a con for me. I have music listed as a pro. I said it could be a con [b]for others[/b']. This could be since they may not like the casting of musicians, songs or some other reason. Just because it's a pro for me does not mean it would not be a con for someone else. I was just acknowledging that in my post. For me, a music based manga being converted to anime is a pro since it gives me actual music to go along with the story.[/quote]okay and i argee with you on music as a pro or con for others, I just never of it.

Although collecting non-bootleg anime has gotten cheaper with slim packs and the sort, Id have to say the way Anime is released and priced is my biggest con. How any company can release one DVD with 3-4 episodes for $20-$25 is beyond me. Plus, if you can actualy afford to buy single DVD releases they take up so much room if you purchase a complete series...slim packs are a huge step in the right direction, but as a whole the DVD anime market still needs a lot of work.

A pro would be that Anime (despite thousands of series that are similar to each other) still has an attractive and unique pull on me. Take Bleach for example; when I started reading about it a few years back it sounded incredibly typical. The ghost hunting teen being forced into unusual circumstances story has been done many times before (YU-YU, Shaman), but after getting some fan-subbed copies of the anime from a friend in Japan when it started airing over there I was hooked! It took me a few episodes, but when I hit the 15 mark I fell in love, despite the typical story...

At this point Anime is like the live action film world. Its matured past its initial stereotypes and trappings and has turned into another respected medium for story telling. Like film, an overused concept can be made magical again with the right characterization, score and plot twists...this can be a con too, though. Because its so popular you have even more series that are heartless and uninspired rip-offs of other popular anime series...

[quote name='black rurouni']A new con i just thought of is that i'm trying to buy the complete series of eureka seven. but it only has volumes that are $20 a piece. it be easier to have a complete box set.[/quote]
[font=comic sans ms]In most cases, that could be true, but it also depends on where you're shopping at as well. Some sites are selling volumes for about $7-$10 a piece while the whole boxset is around $80-$100. And then there are times where you don't have enough money to buy a whole boxset, so you just buy as many volumes as you can.[/font]

[quote name='Phenom][font=comic sans ms']In most cases, that could be true, but it also depends on where you're shopping at as well. Some sites are selling volumes for about $7-$10 a piece while the whole boxset is around $80-$100. And then there are times where you don't have enough money to buy a whole boxset, so you just buy as many volumes as you can.[/font][/quote]that true but like amazon the volumes are $30-$50.

Its no surprise that downloading and buying region free anime is so popular. After DVDs have been around almost 10 years now and most mainstream releases are $10-$20, most anime DVDs are still insanely expensive and offer 3-4 episodes at best (usually). Slim packs are nice, but they are few and far between.

Just be glad you guys don't live in Japan. :animeswea

I think the argument that goes like, "Well, it's fine for prices to be higher in Japan because they can see anime on TV" is fallacious. Anyone with an Internet connection has access to pretty much everything that's airing in Japan right now. They can go through the same process, if they so desire, of watching different shows to see which is worth buying on DVD.

From that perspective, Region 1-dwelling folk get a much better deal. I'll take four episodes for $16 (which is really what it amounts to if you're determined to buy the singles but also determined to shop around or bide your time for a good deal) over one, two or three episodes for $50 to $70 any day. R2 DVDs are a pain.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]Just be glad you guys don't live in Japan. :animeswea

I think the argument that goes like, "Well, it's fine for prices to be higher in Japan because they can see anime on TV" is fallacious. Anyone with an Internet connection has access to pretty much everything that's airing in Japan right now. They can go through the same process, if they so desire, of watching different shows to see which is worth buying on DVD.

From that perspective, Region 1-dwelling folk get a much better deal. I'll take four episodes for $16 (which is really what it amounts to if you're determined to buy the singles but also determined to shop around or bide your time for a good deal) over one, two or three episodes for $50 to $70 any day. R2 DVDs are a pain.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]yeah but some places make you buy the shows after you watch a five minute preview :animeangr

[QUOTE=Dagger]Just be glad you guys don't live in Japan. :animeswea

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I agree that we obviously get a better deal here in the states, but it isnt quite as simple as that. TV airing plays into it a bit (I like King of Queens but why would I buy the box sets or 30-50 a pop when it comes on syndication 3-5 times a day?), but the Japanese don't "collect" like we do (obviously their are exeptions). Im not Japanese nor have I ever lived there, but coming staright from the mouth of Japanese friends whom Ive known my whole life and some caucasian friends who live there now, no one buys anime or movies on DVD. According to all of my friends (plus what I've researched on my own) living space for Japanese families is much tighter than here in the states. Cluttered houses with stacks of manga and anime are not common.

Certainly that's a factor, but most anime only make money in Japan because of merchandise sales (which includes DVDs). Since the majority of shows are broadcast late at night and/or get negligible ratings, advertisements don't really play into it. So [I]someone[/I] must be buying them. ;)

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]Certainly that's a factor, but most anime only make money in Japan because of merchandise sales (which includes DVDs). Since the majority of shows are broadcast late at night and/or get negligible ratings, advertisements don't really play into it. So [I]someone[/I] must be buying them. ;)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
I think the most interesting story about Manga in Japan that I have heard is how most serialized manga in the few major cities are literally thrown away in stacks for trash collection. A close friend I worked with said he never once paid for manga while he taught over there for two years.

I'm totally happy with the way things are ^^; Back in the day manga was $15 and now it's basically $9 on average. Totally not complaining.

Sometimes the new "fans" drive me crazy though ~_~ Narutards aside, it's extremely irritating when you go to buy yaoi manga someplace and are interupted by some chick and with her boyfriend and the guy wants to know what's so great about it and despite the fact that he's talking to you the girlfriend seems to think she must answer all the questions and they follow you around the store for the entire time you are in there. (though the conversation turned out to be semi entertaining when I managed to finally get a word in)

Maybe it's just me ~_~ But this happens often when I go to buy anime or manga, regardless of what sort it is. WTF

i get that a lot too
[INDENT][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I removed the quote [B]black rurouni[/B] since it's unecessary to quote a person when your post is the next one and it's quite a bit larger than your post. Also, you failed to explain just what it is that you get a lot of too. Put more effort into your post since this one was pretty much spam. And you've been around long enough to know we expect more. You could have easily given an example of a situation where you encountered what the other person did. ~Aaryanna[/COLOR][/SIZE][/INDENT]

A new con if you to attached to a anime(closely)and they cut it off or the last ep didn't anwser your question at the end of the anime.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]please don't double post ~Ikillion[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]