OtakuBoards

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Okay, so I was sitting here and thinking: "Why doesn't the OB have any threads about Monty Python?"

Well, now it does.

Monty Python's Flying Circus is a British variety show where the cast members put on hilarious sketches, such as the "Dead Parrot" and the "Spanish Inquisition." You may think it sounds a lot like Saturday Night Live, but that's because SNL was originally based on Monty Python. it's running in syndication on the BBC, so see it if you get the chance. The series has also inspired a number of movies, such as "Life of Brian" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

So, tell me what your favorite skit, movie or actor is and why. I like the "Spanish Inquisition" because of the Over-the-Top exaggerated voices and the fact that they keep messing up and redoing the whole thing.

I have seen only one skit; it was 'The Killing Joke'. Its pretty much how Britian devised this joke that [I]literally[/I] killed whoever heard it. Then the Nazis tried to create their own version...but it just wasn't funny.

Just goes to show you why Nazis lost WW2.

Personally, I have no favorite skit. It's all funny. I do own on DVD Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life. I think if anyone requires initation into anything, those two movies might do the trick... though there is something about the series of Bruce sketches that always made me smile.

[color=#007520]I didn't like the Life of Brian very much but I have The Meaning of Life DVD. I [i]do[/i], though, enjoy looking at the bright side of life.
Monty Python is my cup of tea. It's silly enough to entertain me for hours without needing any other sort of distraction. It reminds me of Douglas Adams' work but of course nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

-r2[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Oh man, don't get me started about Monty Python! :laugh: I actually went out and bought the whole collection of skits. I love "How Not To Be Seen", "How to Distinguish Different Trees From Quite A Long Way Off" (#1, the Larch) (#1, the Larch) (and now for #2, the larch) "And Now For Something Completely Different: a Man with three buttocks" "Multiple Milkmen Seduced" "the Architect Sketch"...

Those are only the highlights from the first three volumns. I don't mention the others aleady stated because it just goes without saying.

Now if you'll permit me to indulge...

I LUV :luv: MONTY PYTHON!!! MONTY PYTHON IS TEH AWESOMEST!!!

Thanks! :D

• 5 weeks later...
[FONT="Arial"]The one time I caught Monty Python on TV, I don't remember finding it very funny at all. It's been a very long time since then, though, and I've yet to see any of the movies. One of my friends can ramble on and on about how awesome it is or whatever.

However, I do love the Spam skit from Flying Circus. On a school trip, another friend made me listen to the dialogue mp3 she had on her iPod and I thought it was hilarious. Eventually I saw the actual skit on YouTube and it still made me laugh pretty hard. I can't quite do the "SPAM!" voice, but whenever that friend does it I can't help but giggle.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I can't possibly pick. I absolutely LOVE Flying Circus! It's great!

Except for the Spam skit. I hate it because about 7 years ago my brother fell in love with it and sang it all the time until my dad finally decided to make us all try it. Meat in a can isn't worth my time.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

"Burma!"

"Why did you say Burma?"

"I panicked."

LOL! Asking me which Monty Python skit is my favorite is like asking me which of my pets I love more. Needless to say I am a big Monty Python fan and yes both my husband and I quote the series and the movies all the time. For instance, while making dinner if I ask my hubby how long it's going to be he will respond: "There may be some delay..."

We own all the episodes and movies on VHS and have the soundtracks. Yes, we also have several books including the scripts.

My favorite actor, oh boy that is a tough decision. I love them all but I do love Terry Jones since he does all these crazy physical things that are quite impressive. Like the time he was dressed in a tux, carrying Carol Cleveland in a wedding dress, running down the street. He was running really fast too! It was the beginning of "Dog Kennel" (ie mattress) skit.

As for favorite skit, I really can't choose. But I will give a nod to all of those weird animations by Terry Gilliam. I love the one with the Siamese cat destroying the city.

"You've saved our city!"
"But at what cost?!"

Then the cat eats the city.

There is also the one where this guy is watching the tv and these bizarre things happen to his eyes. Then you hear a "female" voice saying: "Henry! Stop watching the television, you know it's bad for your eyes!" Ah, it's all very good.

I will say this, on the top of my favorite skits list would be the Upperclass Twit of the Year and the Olympic Hide and Seek. Umbra II already listed some excellent skits. Oh I really could go on for hours and hours about this...

Now, to end my post:

Umbra II, will you please stand up? :p

[FONT="Arial"][indent][I]"But there is one composer whose name is never included with the greats. Why is it that the world never remembered the name of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von -knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich- grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte- ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber- hönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?"[/I][/indent]

That, and the finest crunchy raw bits of real unboned dead frog.

"Mmm. Crunchy frog."[/FONT]