OtakuBoards

A Challenge For All!

silpheedpilot

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Enough thread repeats, please!

Here I am, the Saviour of our fair OB, to issue a challenge of stereotyping!

Everyone is stereotyped. I don't care who you are, what your skin color is, the private parts in your pants, the music you listen to, the WAY YOU DRESS...Everyone is stereotyped.

So, here's the challenge. Think about yourself as though you're stereotyping someone who dresses just like you. Act like you don't know them (you), and all you're doing is making assumptions about the person (you) by looking at their shirt, shoes, pants, the way they (you) wear their hair on a daily or normal basis and such and such. Then...Put yourself into a basic archetype. Jock, emo, scene, goth, punk, skater, prep...So on so forth. Get creative but make it sensible and basic.

Then go ahead and look at the other side of the spectrum and think about a stereotype you really just can't stand. The way they dress, the way they act, the way they are.
Then...Dress like them for a day, act like them for a day, and generally be that stereotype for a day. Make sure you go out in public so you can see peoples reactions that you'd normally not see from them.
Go to your friends and see how they act, be like that around your parents or significant other but don't break character!
Then go ahead and record in some way the experience, peoples thoughts, the looks you got out in public by means of notes, an essay at the end of the day, pictures, a recording...Anything really, then go ahead and tell us all on here about your experience in detail.
Would it make you think otherwise before trashing another stereotype? Did you feel lower than the way you were acting? Did you feel better? Do you have better appreciation for that music style?

Anyway, I've kept you long enough.
A simple, basic rule before you set out to conquest the land of stereotypes.
Make sure when all is said and done you post a picture of the way you dressed before the challenge and the way you dressed during the challenge.

Lets make this fun. Lets make this non-repeated topic EPIC!

[U]Oh, and another thing. This is not a debate thread so don't come in here debating about who and who isn't stereotyped and why and whether stereotypes exist at all and yadda yadda whatever.[/U]

Alright, go! Shoo![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]from an outside perspective, i look like a dirty goth. Probably a damn pagan or atheist or some crap.

I wear all black all the time. Baggy, long shorts and way oversized shirts. All the shirts I wear have some band on them. I have long hair that looks unkept (it's just wazy >_>) and greasy. Currently I'm broken out pretty bad, too. I've got an ugly moustache (even though I think it's sexy >_>) and random facial hair that I'me too lazy to shave. I'm obviously not too weight-cautious, either, and I don't dress in a way that flaunts my looks. Basically, I probably look like a stoner or goth or some crap.

I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time and with a hat on. If you aren't close enough or are looking at me from behind, you probably think I'm a girl, though Once you see the huge eyebrows and abundant facial hair, I just look like I've been in the basement burning through dimebags all day. I also hang out with [url=]other folks who are totally goth[/url].

(NOTE: Most of this is actually stuff I've been accused of >_>)

If I saw myself walking down the street with a friend, I'd think 'there's some damn goth kids' though if it was me looking at me I'd of course recognize myself, or at least be impressed by the band on my t-shirt XD

As for the other thing - i don't have any archetype that I hate. And even if i did, I would never become them for a day. It's not within my power.[/COLOR]

[size=1]Quick note: [b]thread repeats are inevitable. Stop complaining about them.[/b] kthx :p

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Then go ahead and look at the other side of the spectrum and think about a stereotype you really just can't stand. The way they dress, the way they act, the way they are.
Then...Dress like them for a day, act like them for a day, and generally be that stereotype for a day. Make sure you go out in public so you can see peoples reactions that you'd normally not see from them.
Go to your friends and see how they act, be like that around your parents or significant other but don't break character![/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
This is a really good idea for a thread, but this portion of it is heavily impractical. It requires buying an entirely new outfit, assuming the stereotype you are and the stereotype you hate are polar opposites (which logically, they would be), which isn't gonna happen.

I could still stereotype myself and post a picture of it though.[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I imagine if people saw me, they wouldn't really be sure what kind of stereotype I fit into, because really IRL I'm not that clique-ish. I'm built like a guy who plays heavy contact sports, and I do, but I'm also a gamer and a major geek as well.

Generally I wear a pair runners, size twelve or thirteen [UK], yes I have big feet but you know what they say about that, jeans and whatever coloured t-shirt I happen to take off my clothes rack that day. Along with it, depending on the weather is a hoodie or jacket, though I never wear the hood up, you just get looked at like you're a complete tool or a druggie, which I'd rather do without.

Hair wise, I've got longish brown wavy/curly just left as it is, as any attempt to tie it in any way makes me look slightly retarded, though it is washed every morning, along with the rest of me. I generally have a goatee, though after about three months I'll get sick of it, shave it off, feel my face get cold and decide to grow it again.

Overall I imagine people see me as a fairly normal person, though if I had to fit in a particular clique, I suppose I look more like a gamer on account of my glasses, hair and goatee. That said, my brother takes great pleasure in referring to me as "the Hippy".[/SIZE]

[quote name='Retribution'][size=1]This is a really good idea for a thread, but this portion of it is heavily impractical. It requires buying an entirely new outfit, assuming the stereotype you are and the stereotype you hate are polar opposites (which logically, they would be), which isn't gonna happen.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Agreed... <_< >_> Yeah, I agree with Alex on something, so what ? :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Agreed... <_< >_> Yeah, I agree with Alex on something, so what ? :p[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[size=1]O M F G Z

As for my stereotype, I assume it'd be the black guy who "acts white" and "dresses white". I shop at places like H&M / Old Navy / uniqlo / AE, and wear shoes that were probably made for indoor soccer (i.e. Adidas Sambas or Pumas). I own a pair of slim cut jeans, which definitely got me some puzzled looks when I wore them to school. Apparently the tight-jeans look isn't popular in DC/MD.

Attire aside, my behavior used to distance me from most black people. Well, not necessarily behavior, but the fact that I was in classes that other black folk weren't in sort of set me as an outsider. I had different slang, a different accent, and occassionally different values.

Recently, though, these differences between me and other black people have been reconciled. Now it's hip for black guys to wear stuff from the shops I mentnioned earlier. I've seen an uncountable number of guys wearing a tight AE shirt and torn jeans, which is new and cool to me. And in general, I've learned how to assimilate into most social circles. While I'm still sort of an outsider in some instances, people don't really judge me like they used to.

If I had to toss myself into a label, it'd probably be "black-guy-who-acts-white" and "liberal-communist-hipster".

As for the stereotype I least like associating myself with, it'd probably be the goths. I don't really like the immensely baggy black pants, the chains and mesh clothing, piercings/tattoos, or metal music. I won't lie; I feel rather uncomfortable around them, but I don't let it show. I try to let everyone have a fair shot by influencing me with their personality. But being honest, it's tough to not prejudge people based on appearance.[/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]The whole thing is really practical. Sure, you might have to buy some things but you can generally pull of a different look with what you've got.
It's all in the way you present yourself.

Wearing baggy dickies, and a plain black shirt with scraggy un-kempt hair and maybe a wrist band or two will turn you into one of those mallcore kids. Simply taking the wrist bands off, lookin' for and working on a hairstyle with gels and stuff to look nice and generally having your black clothing look nice, wrinkle free, and clean will turn you from mallcore into, say, contemporary.

Its easy. Just get creative with what money you don't have. Borrow the little things like hair clips, wrist bands, shoes, whatever.

Hey, can't call it a challenge if it's easy.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]The whole thing is really practical. Sure, you might have to buy some things but you can generally pull of a different look with what you've got.
It's all in the way you present yourself.

Wearing baggy dickies, and a plain black shirt with scraggy un-kempt hair and maybe a wrist band or two will turn you into one of those mallcore kids. Simply taking the wrist bands off, lookin' for and working on a hairstyle with gels and stuff to look nice and generally having your black clothing look nice, wrinkle free, and clean will turn you from mallcore into, say, contemporary.

Its easy. Just get creative with what money you don't have. Borrow the little things like hair clips, wrist bands, shoes, whatever.

Hey, can't call it a challenge if it's easy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]What I don't get is, how and to whom are we going to show this look to? Are we just suposed to like, go to the mall looking like that and chill or what? I mean, as a borderline hikikomeri, it's not like anyone's gunna see tha transition, and it's not like my mindset is changed or anything >_>[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]What I don't get is, how and to whom are we going to show this look to? Are we just suposed to like, go to the mall looking like that and chill or what? I mean, as a borderline hikikomeri, it's not like anyone's gunna see tha transition, and it's not like my mindset is changed or anything >_>[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Well, as my opening post stated...You gotta act that part. So, yeah, sure go to the mall with some friends but act completely the stereotype you chose to be for that day. Take pictures, note reactions, and generally just record the data you collect throughout the day.

Sure are a lot of questions and complaints about impracticality for such an easy challenge/experiment.

Here. I'll explain in [B]easy-mode[/B]:
1. Stereotype yourself
2. Pick a stereotype you hate.
3. Transform into that stereotype for a day.
4. Record how people act towards you, the looks you got, what your friends said, and so on so forth.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] To Asians I'd be a twinkie, which means an Asian who acts white. It's not really a term I appreciate, but I get labeled with it because all my friends are white. *shrug* My school is pretty much all-white, so it's not like I had a choice to make or anything.

To others I'd probably be stereotyped as something like a preppy nerd, lol. At school I associate myself with students who take all honors/AP classes, and I dress with the times. It's hard to do this, because my high school is different from others. It's not really the preps, jocks, emos, etc., but it's cut off into smart people and stupid people, and then the subcategories continue from there.

The one stereotyped look I could pull off with my wardrobe is a prep-look, as I plenty of clothes from stores like Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, A&F, etc. I've done it before, and I don't really get weird looks from my friends or other students. [/font]