OtakuBoards

Korean Movies

Guest acejin

Guest acejin
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]i've been watching some korean movies lately, and i can really say that they are all great. their stories are really different and... err... well, the thing is i really love them...

here are some that i really loved (not in a particular order):

1. the classic - one of the best
2. he was cool - stars Jeong Da-bin, actress from attic cat who committed suicide :animedepr
3. innocent steps
4. lover's concerto
5. windstruck
6. a millionaire's first love
7. art of seduction
8. the host - awesome!
9. a moment to remember
10. my little bride

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! like to hear from others too... :animeswea[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Guest K r i s t a
The Host was pretty sad though. I cried a couple of times during that movie.

Personally, i prefer Korean dramas better. :]

The Host was horrible. The CG was beautiful but the dialog was terrible, the plot was full of tractor trailer sized holes, and some of the shots had no point. Not to mention that everyone in the movie is an idiot and the political commentary is way too over the top to be dramatic, and yet it fails to even think about being funny. [spoiler]Also, the archer girl irked me. It's a huge lizard that's 20 feet in front of you. ****ing shoot it.[/spoiler]

[font="trebuchet ms"] [i]The Host[/i] was pretty terrible. lol

I'm surprised you haven't seen movies like [i]Old Boy[/i] or [i]Sympathy for Lady Vengeance[/i]. They're pretty iconic when it comes to Korean movies, even though they're recent. If you're interested in Korean movies, those two are musts.[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] [i]The Host[/i] was pretty terrible. lol

I'm surprised you haven't seen movies like [i]Old Boy[/i] or [i]Sympathy for Lady Vengeance[/i]. They're pretty iconic when it comes to Korean movies, even though they're recent. If you're interested in Korean movies, those two are musts.[/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"]Absolutely. I love those movies, they're both two of my favourites. Great cinematography and soundtracks, and such amazing storylines.[/FONT]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"]I'm surprised you haven't seen movies like [i]Old Boy[/i] or [i]Sympathy for Lady Vengeance[/i]. They're pretty iconic when it comes to Korean movies, even though they're recent. If you're interested in Korean movies, those two are musts.[/font][/QUOTE][COLOR=maroon]What about [B][i]My Sassy Girl[/i][/B]?! T_T

I despised those two movies, though. I wouldn't call them iconic for Korean movies, I would say they stand out because of their uniqueness. You know, if someone asked "what's the difference between Korean movies and other movies besides the language," you'd shove one of those movies in their face to demonstrate the... something of directors and storywriters. O_o
Honestly, [B][i]Old Boy[/i][/B]... a more effed up movie I've never seen.

I would say [B][i]The Classic[/i][/B] is probably the best Korean movie I've seen thus far. The way the story was told suited the name of the movie. The atmosphere and how relationships bloom with just a brushing encounter... it was really well-done, and it wasn't one of those movies where everything was just right but the story sucked. No, the story - although I normally hate ones that revolve around love - was sweet, thoughtful, and unique without being stupid or unbelievable. And it's not even one of those movies with a great start and terrible finish. It rocked all the way through. The end... [i]oh, the ending... beautiful[/i]. T_T

[B][i]200 Pounds Beauty[/i][/B] was a major letdown for me. Idea was kind of cool, but I didn't laugh much and I wasn't really drawn into the movie any way. Although that [i]Maria[/i] remake is really good, and the main character was not bad on the eyes, lol. Before anyone says anything: all the guys were ugly. =P

I have to say, after watching anime for so long, it's kind of weird seeing real people speaking a phonetic language. I think subconsciously it became drilled in my head that those languages are reserved for fictional people. O_o[/COLOR]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Most Korean movies are bad. No need to glorify them, because it's just the truth. lol

[b]Old Boy[/b] is just one of those movies every Korean has seen, and if they haven't, they know what it's about and how popular it was. It has that gritty 'style' that Asians seem to crave over quality, which is what a lot of Asian movies suffer from IMO.

[b]My Sassy Girl[/b] is also a great example, though. I hear they're making an American remake of that.[/font]

Korean film is kind of hit or miss, although I've only seen bits and pieces. The film industry in Korea right now is about where Hong Kong was in the 1950s. In short, making some good stuff but still without much depth in terms of talent.

Culturally, Korea has always been playing third fiddle to China and Japan, often slavishly copying both of its more powerful neighbors.

[quote name='Laborpilot86']
Culturally, Korea has always been playing third fiddle to China and Japan, often slavishly copying both of its more powerful neighbors.[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Excuse me? Since when did Korea [i]slavishly[/i] copy China and Japan in history? Oh wait, they didn't. Because all three countries basically fed off of each other. Way to hack & slack and generalize history at the same time.

If you're basing your statement on cartoons and video games and movies, you should realize that there's more to culture than its entertainment.[/font]

[COLOR=maroon]Honestly, I think part of the reason that Korea is underappreciated is that it has been pretty quiet and any noise they do make is credited to Japan since no distinction is made.

Case and point, I still see many people get pissed and insulted when BoA is called Korean.[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]I'd add something to what Lunox said, but I think she handled it. KOREA FTW! XD

Okey, so on a more serious note, [B]The Classic[/B] is indeed a classic. It's unlike the other stories and it's quite adorable; I am in love with that movie. It's right next to [B]A Millionaire's First Love[/B]. [FYI: Hyun Bin is absolutely to die for!]

I haven't seen [B]My Sassy Girl[/B] but I've heard it's quite good. However, as far as the remake goes, there's going to be several many Korean who are going to be judging it. They'll be looking for plot holes, difference in character personalities, and just about everything. But that's my personal opinion.

As far as recommendations go, I'd have to agree with Lunox and say watch [b]Old Boy[/B] and [B]Sympathy For Lady Vengeance[/B]. Some other recommendations is: [B]Tree In Heaven[/B], [B]Stairway Of Heaven[/B], [B]Autumn's Tale[/B], [B]Piano[/B], [B]My Name Is Kim SamSoon[/B] and several others.

Oh and if you’re looking to watch some Korean horror, there’s [B]Into The Mirror[/B], [B]The Doll Master[/B], [B]Ouija Board[/B], and [B]Wishing Stairs[/B].

If you’d like more recommendations, I’d be happy to provide them.[/size][/color]

[quote name='AzureWolf'][COLOR=maroon]lol, Lunox. You know that was my point about these Korean-ignorami, right? Fans who are so obsessed but still stupid? I'm just confused, haha[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Haha, yeah, I know you know (of course).[/font]