OtakuBoards

Even I'd Like Some Reccommendations!

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Okay... so... I need some anime to watch. I'm looking for series that are already complete since I loose attention waiting for the next episode of a show.

I like anime that is psychological or emotional, or just any really good anime. I like to see a lot of characterization, since I like being made to care about the characters. I also enjoy originality in a series.

The only thing I'm totally avoiding is episodal comedy. I've been watching so many lately that the genre is getting old to me, so I need some more serious shows in the meantime. I'd also like to keep it in the 12-26-episode range

If it helps, some of my favorite anime include:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Welcme to the NHK
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fooly Cooly
Serial Experiments Lain
Kino's Journey
Boogiepop Phantom
Paranoia Agent
Kanon 2006
Air
Hitohira
Simoun

Also, please do not reccommend me anything on CN. I've seen it.[/COLOR]

Hmm well you said you wouldn't take my recommendations very seriously but I think I will give some of them anyway.

[B]Kurogane communication[/B] [I]24 episodes[/I]
It's a post apocalyptic slice o life series. Yes you heard me. It shows the life of the last know living girl on earth and her robot companions.

[B]Arjuna[/B] [I]13 episodes[/I]
I really don't know what genre to put this in. It has a bit of action a bit of drama a bit of romance and it really makes you think. It's about a girl who dies but gets a second life to save the world. It may sound generic but she is saving the world from itself. People pollute the environment and are angering the worlds spirit. I don't think I can say more without spoiling it.

[COLOR="Indigo"]If you want something psychological then you might enjoy [B]Now and then, Here and There[/B]. It's basically a war story. And since I'm too lazy to write it up at the moment, here's a brief summary from ANN:
[INDENT]Shu is a typical Japanese boy, but has an unbeatable, optimistic and determined attitude. However, when he sees a mysterious girl with strange eyes named Lala-Ru up on a smokestack, he is soon pulled into a strange desert world. Shu soon discovers the true terrors of war, which includes genocide, brutal torture, hunger, thirst, and child explotation. Now Shu is trying to save Lala-Ru, as well as his hard earned, and often relunctant, new friends from the insane dictator, Hamdo. Whether Shu can possibly accomplish saving those he cares about while still holding up to his values remains to be seen.[/INDENT]
It's not the most groundbreaking, but it has its moments where it captures just how insane war really is and for that it's definately worth seeing once. And it's only 13 episodes so it's also nice and short. Just long enough to tell the story without dragging things out unnecessarily. [/COLOR]

Apologies if you've seen any of these...

[b]Figure 17[/b]: Combines slice-of-life pacing with alien-fighting action. There are 13 episodes, but each one is about twice as long as a normal anime episode. Very sweet, sincere story.

[b]Munto & Munto 2[/b]: Two short fantasy OVAs. I mention them in part because they're a KyoAni side project. Great eye candy, of course, but I also liked the emotions in the first OVA.

[b]Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha[/b]: This was made for you, lolicon-san. Seriously, the first season takes a while to settle in, but these are the most bad-*** little girls you'll ever see.

[b]Texhnolyze[/b]: The next logical step after fare like Boogiepop and Lain. Very dark, artsy and sometimes downright grisly. Unusual first episode with virtually no dialogue.

[b]R.O.D the TV[/b]: I can't remember if you've watched this or not... anyway, it's cleverly connected to the OVA. Entertaining action + a very strong focus on the cast's relationships.

[b]Princess Tutu[/b]: Okay, okay, don't run away just yet. Deviously intelligent metafictional shoujo. It plumbs the darker depths of Western fairy tales.

[b]Kaleido Star[/b]: About joining the equivalent of the Cirque du Soleil. Amazing acrobatic sequences and the most lovable, wonderful, charming heroine in any anime ever. Food for the spirit.

[b]Gilgamesh[/b]: There's no way around it--you're going to hate the art. But it has a damn good story. If you end up going for Texhnolyze, give this a shot as well. Post-apocalyptic tragedy.

~Dagger~

If you're into the Psychological & emotional type anime,I would highly recommend u watch [B]Jigoku Shoujo[/B] or [B]Hell Girl[/B], the main concept is about Enma Ai or Hell Girl (as she is widely known on the internet) who will take up requests via Hotline To Hell,she will appear before you & will be the one to ferry the person straight to Hell (before that, they will encounter psychological torment, making them experience a part of Hell)

Another good series is [B]Red Garden[/B], i haven't watched much of it but reading the plot,i highly recommend it. There are about 22 episodes of it.

Also [B]Petite Cossette[/B] is another good anime, it's about Eiri, a boy who works in the shop of his uncle,who happens to stumble across a glass, upon touching the glass, he receives visions of a girl named Cossette, her spirit haunts the glass. She's been waiting & searching for 250 yrs. for someone who will be able to see her,& now she needs Eiri's help.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]indiff[/B]: I've heard good things about that one, but I have a general distaste for war stories.

[B]Dagger[/B]:

[B]Figure 17[/B]: Will check this out.

[B]Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha[/B]: I've heard both good things and bad things about this series to both extremes XD I know it's huge in Japan right now... This one is like 72 eps though O_o

[B]Texhnolyze[/B]: I saw the first episode of this way back and of course hated it because I was young then, lol. The only reason I never checked it out is because, unlike Lain or Haibane Renmei, I almost never hear anyone talk about this. I've always considered buying it just cuz I'm such an ABe fanboy.

[B]R.O.D the TV[/B]: I have seen the first 10 or so episodes, and I have the first DVD with intent to continue.

[B]Princess Tutu[/B]: ..... I had already escaped....

[B]Kaleido Star[/B]: Ever since your avatar collection I've always wanted to see this and I know where I can watch it and I watched episode one and liked it so I have very, very few excuses for not checking this out ^^;; Once again, though, this show is long as hell!

[B]Gilgamesh[/B]: They have random DVDs of this at Blockbuster and I've always thought to check it out [i]because[/i] of the interesting art, lol. (jeez, you have so little faith in me!)

A lot of this I need to check out but I only wish you'd given me ones easier to find, since I only intend to watch subs ^^;;

[B]hyuuga[/B]: Will check them out except for Red Garden. HATE the art.

[B]EDIT[/B]: I have been reccommended to watch [B]Neo Ranga[/B] elsewhere. Anyone have an opinion on this show?[/COLOR]

Since you mentioned Paranoia Agent, I'll go ahead and spout out a few other psychological recommendations that you hopefully haven't seen yet.

First of all, I'll throw in the obligatory 'watch the rest of Satoshi Kon's filmography' suggestion. All of his films are emotional, but they're not all total mindbenders like Paranoia Agent. Tokyo Godfathers, for example, is a hilarious little movie with a big heart: an atmosphere that seems unusual for Kon, but he doesn't doesn't fall short. It's a good movie. A lot of people say good things about Millenium Actress too, as it stirs the director's surreal tendencies in with a potent love story.

However, if you're looking for the films that will make you question your sanity, go with Paprika or Perfect Blue. I'm particularly fond of the concepts behind Paprika, especially it's constant stumblings around the line separating dreams from reality.

Moving on, Cat Soup is a thoroughly strange and entertaining OVA featuring a cat that takes his older sister's half-conscious body on a journey to reunite her with a lost part of her soul. It's totally bizarre, and satire on humanity as a whole is littered throughout (albeit thickly coated in surreal symbolism). If I remember correctly... during its 25-minute run, no dialogue is presented either. There are definitely eerie sounds contributing to a vivid aural experience, but it'll probably be an odd experience compared to what you've watched thus far (anime-wise). In another thread, you mentioned that you disliked Mononoke's presentation, animation-wise.. Well, I'd say this OVA waltzes along the same path; it's lined with strange visuals. Approach with caution.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well, I've seen [B]Perfect Blue [/B]and didn't like it at all. It could be because I was younger when I saw it and scared out of my freaking mind, but I can remember it pretty vividly and I don't remember anything I'd like even by my current standards. Just seemed like a really pointless movie.

[B]Cat Soup [/B]looked cool in [B]AMV Hell [/B]with that[B] Linkin Park [/B]song playing over it, but I've always thought 'what if it's the linkin park song that made it cool?' XD

Also, I looked up [B]Figure 17 [/B]on Wikipedia and this image was there.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/Figure17.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm getting my hopes up for nothing, but I might have to watch this show NOW.[/COLOR]

You like Gilgamesh's art and dislike Red Garden's? I have no idea why, but I'm kind of impressed, haha.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]
[B]Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha[/B]: I've heard both good things and bad things about this series to both extremes XD I know it's huge in Japan right now... This one is like 72 eps though O_o[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
The third season (StrikerS) is still running, so you can pretend it doesn't exist--and then all that's left are two sets of thirteen episodes. The first two seasons each have satisfying and complete-feeling endings.

I won't pretend this is some inspired work of genius. Even so, it fulfills a deep need within me--a need we surely all possess!--to see cute girls beat the living **** out of each other with attacks that would make DBZ characters cry. ;)

Side note: Cossette was directed by Shinbo.

Have you seen [b]Code Geass[/b]?

ETA: Uh... Neo Ranga? Haven't seen it for myself, but I've never heard a single positive thing about it, except for occasional remarks about how the OP is deceptively interesting.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I've actually looked up [B]Cossette [/B]in the past (recognized the wiki image) and Shinbo always is promising, so i may have to watch that.

[B]Red Garden[/B] has the single worst character designs I've ever seen, period.

[B]Code Geass[/B] I swear will be on [B]Adult Swim [/B]by next year, hehe. Anyway, my little brother absolutely loves [B]S-Cry-Ed[/B] so I'm sure I can get him to look into it. (same director, right?)[/COLOR]

Yeah, same director. Geass would be great on AS--I sure hope so. (Actually, thanks for the reminder... I'd totally forgotten that Bandai had said it would be on TV one way or the other.)

Also, you should watch [b]Black Lagoon[/b], because [url=http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2733/balabo1.jpg][u]these ladies[/u][/url] will come kick your butt if you don't.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Yeah, same director. Geass would be great on AS--I sure hope so. (Actually, thanks for the reminder... I'd totally forgotten that Bandai had said it would be on TV one way or the other.)

Also, you should watch [b]Black Lagoon[/b], because [url=http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2733/balabo1.jpg][u]these ladies[/u][/url] will come kick your butt if you don't.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Wasn't [B]Black Lagoon[/B], like, guaranteed to be on [B]AS[/B]? Anyway, I'm gunna check out [B]Figure 17[/B] first. I didn't expect so many recs so quick ^^;;[/COLOR]

Heres two more.

[B]Haibanei Renmei[/B] [I]13 episodes[/I]
Right basically this is a slice of life...at first. Then alter on it gets pretty deep into emotions and things like that. Almost a journey of sorts. Lot's of philosophy in this anime.

[B]Edens Bowy[/B] [I]26 episodes[/I]
Right so this is what you get when you combine El Hazard Soul hunter and Kino's Journey. It has by far the most colorful cast of characters EVER. It gets really deep into philosophy too.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oi, I'm halfway through [B]Haibane Renme[/B]i and just trying to find the next DVD (will prolly have to buy online). Amazing series - like I said, I'm an [B]ABe[/B] fanboy.

I think I've heard of [B]Eden's Bowy[/B], but lol at [B]Soul Hunter[/B]... show I file under 'awesomely bad' (or at least the dub, which apparently is an entirely diferent story?)[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oi, I'm halfway through [B]Haibane Renme[/B]i and just trying to find the next DVD (will prolly have to buy online). Amazing series - like I said, I'm an [B]ABe[/B] fanboy.

I think I've heard of [B]Eden's Bowy[/B], but lol at [B]Soul Hunter[/B]... show I file under 'awesomely bad' (or at least the dub, which apparently is an entirely diferent story?)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well I liked Soul hunter but the part of Soul hunter that Edens Bowy has in common is not the part people usually complain about. Oh and I am of the opinion ANY dub is better than a sub. Unless the dub is in engrish or something. You should definitely give Edens Bowy a try. It also has some Elfen Lied like properties (although I hate to admit it). The way it deals with tragedy n such. Oh yea this is off topic but I scorn anyone who has ever recommended Elfen Lied to me...*scorns*. I hate it sooooo much...

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"] but lol at [B]Soul Hunter[/B]... show I file under 'awesomely bad' (or at least the dub, which apparently is an entirely diferent story?)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]It is, the dub for Soul Hunter is terrible, but the sub version is just fine and it's the only way I'll watch it actually. The dub is too annoying and messed up. So if you haven't tried it with subtitles, go back and watch it again. It's definately worth seeing once. [/COLOR]

I also wanna recommend [B]Gantz[/B], the story is about Kei Kurono who dies in a train accident & becomes part of a semi-posthumous game in which also several recently deceased people are forced to hunt down and kill aliens.The missions in which they embark upon are often dangerous. Many die once more on each mission, but they are replaced by others in the same manner as Kei's appearance.

its first season has 13 episodes & the same goes for the second season.

I would go [B]Death Note[/B] for psychological if you have not seen it then it's probably the best choice for you. For emotional I would watch [B]Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu[/B] and/or [B]Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora[/B] both are only 6 episodes and I think worth seeing at least once by everyone.

Sorry I go out of your 12-26-episode range in all three shows >.< but if you have not seen them then they are a must see regardless.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]indiff[/B]: I've heard good things about that one, but I have a general distaste for war stories.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Well depending on what you consider a war story, I'd reconsider. Most of [B]Now and Then, Here and There[/B], focuses on the characters instead of actual battle scenes. That's part of what makes it such a powerful show, it shows slices of people who are literally caught in the middle as well as how insane people can be. Still if you dislike war altogether, then pay it no mind. Its just that like NGE, the fight scenes are few and far between. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Wasn't [B]Black Lagoon[/B], like, guaranteed to be on [B]AS[/B]? Anyway, I'm gunna check out [B]Figure 17[/B] first. I didn't expect so many recs so quick ^^;;[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I wish. Doesn't seem likely to happen now, however; it's already coming out on DVD. I guess the extreme profanity proved to be too much or something.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Since I doubt I'll have time to watch [B]Petite Cossette[/B] between the bazillion anime purchases I would be talking about if my thread were bumbed and the other couple anime I'm watching online, so I ent for the manga volume 1. I only read the first chapter so far and I gotta say, it is a trip and a freakin half O_o

Oh, and since I found it cheap, I went for [B]Texhnolyze[/B] v. 1 too but haven't watched it yet.[/COLOR]