OtakuBoards

Working Out

vegeta rocker

So heres the deal, I am going to start trying to lose weight but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas/success stories.

I mostly want to lose weight so i figure cardio will make up most of my routine, but i want to know what you guys have tried.

I want to lose a massive amount of weight, ideally I want to lose 100 pounds. I know it seems like alot and i know it will take some time, but i am willing to try and commit.

Most people guess me to weight around 150 but i am heavier than i look, i know i have some muscle but i still know 250 is too much for my height.

So i figure i do an hour of cardio a day three days a week? I have a very busy schedule but i want to make it work.

I work out four days a week in order to gain more Stamia for my swimming. Try some yoga at first to limber you body in order to help you deal with more harder work out. Work out for 40 Minutes lifting 5 pound weights carefully. Talk to your nearest weight trainer for more Info .Also Get on a sport team if you can. But, Never do it alone. Cut done on what your eatting. Instead of pop drink Power Aid it help you lose the weight. If you need more Info Pm.:animeknow

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Just don't eat[/B].

Seriously. [B]Christian Bale[/B] did it for his role in [B]The Machinist[/B]:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://oldnick.coraider.com/uploaded_images/christianbale-770999.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]It worked for him, it could work for you.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Just don't eat[/B].

Seriously. [B]Christian Bale[/B] did it for his role in [B]The Machinist[/B]:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]It worked for him, it could work for you.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]That's a horrible horrible idea, even if it was just a joke. =P

One thing you need to know is that fad diets typically don't work. Atkins, i dunno, whatever else there is that everybody talks about, it's all crap. There is no scientific evidence that any of them work. Actually there is a good amount of statistical data showing that they have adverse effects. These diets start out working, people can initially lose a good amount of weight, but then they usually rebound and often times end up worse than before. So if you are going to take this seriously, don't try some bull crap diet. Instead you need to try to change your lifestyles. This isn't something that you do for a couple weeks/months/years, this is something you do for the rest of your life... if you want it to work, that is.

The only scientifically proven way to lose weight... or i should say, the only one that i know of is simply to burn more calories in a day than you take in. So instead of going on a diet just be smart about it. Watch what you eat, exercise, you should be good. If you can then it's a good idea to look at how many calories you usually consume within a day and record it. That way when you go to the gym you can know how much you need to work out to lose weight. Hopefully you can find a treadmill or something that approximates the amount of calories you've burned.

Don't starve yourself too! This is quite important. You need to eat. The whole point is to eat healthy, not to not eat. Even if you think not eating will help, and even if it does at first, it will eventually come back to bite you in the butt. Just eat healthy and in moderation.

Remember, knowledge is power... and knowing is half the battle? I never watched GI Joe... My point is, you have the internet at your fingertips, do research, be incredulous (even of me), and learn things. You're already off to a good start by posting a topic on a message board and asking for advice. I wish you the best of luck. And just so ya know, i'm going through the same thing =D So if you ever want some encouragement, send me a message or hit me up on AIM.

Later.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Christian Bale ate a can of tuna and an apple a day. lol

I mainly gain my weight from stress, i take in about 1500 calories a day but i stress in college alot.

I have access to a 24hr gym so hopefully i can start soon, its just that i am at school from 9am to 12pm this week so it may have to start next week.

[size=1]Like most of the other guys have said, looking at your diet and making choice changes is a very effective way of reducing your weight. Over the past few months I've slowly taken out all the cheese, pizza, crisps/crap that I used to eat outta my diet and replaced them with regular fruit, small bowls of cereal, more healthy options at lunch like chicken, jacket potato, fish etc. Doing this along with some light stretching every other day has resulted in me losing just over 34 lbs in like 3-4 months.

All in all, I feel and look much better and it's been a major plus for my confidence and such. I intend to carry on with this and then introduce other exercise, like the martial arts and gym sessions the others discussed slowly to build myself up.

This steady, slow process that I've been going through seems to work very well, compared with what I used to do. Generally I tried to throw myself into heavy, long regime's of gym training and that just did little/no good for me at all. You might want to consider this with your cardio and perhaps start with 30 minute work-outs for 3 days a week instead of the hour sessions you spoke of.

Like 13th Man said, knowledge helps, so seek all you can from health books, gym members, gym assistants blah-blah-blah and always remain positively thoughtful. It's very much a mind over matter kinda thing.

Hope that helped.[/size]

Decent information so far.

Someone said the main thing earlier; avoid crash diets. They never work. The first thing that happens is that your body stores MORE fat because it is now not getting a normal flow of nutrients. Then if you persist, you will lose weight, sure, but you'll be losing muscle and even parts of your organs.

Atkins is one of the worst things you can ever do. Taking carbs out of a diet? Idiotic. The same thing I mentioned above will happen without a significant weight dive. And then your body one day decides that it is not healthy and resorts to breaking down HEART AND LIVER cells in order to regain missing carbs.

Do NOT cut carbs from a diet. Carbs are the fuel which keep your body moving. They are essential to healthy living as much as oxygen and vitamin D. The key is to finding the appropriate amount of intake per body weight per daily work load. Then you'll be good.

Another thing to take into account is your own metabolism. Everyone's body works in the same general way, but not exactly. Your body will react to your diet and labor in it's own way and at it's own pace. That's one thing that takes a good deal of time to map out.

As far as what to do...virtually every exercise is cardio. It's just to what degree. Low pressure/hi-rep weight lifting is a good way to build stamina and burn water weight. Basic calistentics are always good at high reps.

Walking, jogging, and running are always excellent choices. It's one of the healthiest excercises you can do, both physically and mentally. The increase of stamina, the leaning of muscles, a full body work out, and the release of epinephrine and serotonin in the bloodstream can bring about a physical euphoria that is addictive. It is an excellent mood booster.

Weight lifting is similar in it's physical effects, sans a larger buildup of aerobic stamina. As your body physically works it eats away at fat cells, most of the time around the areas being worked.

Pushups, situps, and pullups are awesome ways to burn excess fat and increase muscle toning and are a lot safer than most weight lifting because the stress imposed is roughly equal to mass limitations on ligaments and bones.

Another thing is to avoid air conditioning. Hard to lose water weight when you don't sweat. Get out there and get dirty and stinky. Exercise in the day whenever you can, mostly because it's healthy and the sun gives you plenty of nutrients that artificial lighting does not, such as vitamin D, UVA and UVB.

For example, with a slightly reduced diet, a seventy hour work week at my job, which put me outside in hundred degree weather, I lost forty pounds in a little over a month.

It takes determination, but you can do it. Takes time, too, to do it right.

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]As Andrew stated, a large part of the battle is in your mind. I'd even say the majority of it is mental. You have to be determined to make it work and not give up.

I also wanted to make another point. The body actually wasn't built (or evolved) to eat 3 moderate sized to large sized meals a day, it's actually much much better to eat 5-7 smaller sized meals throughout the day including small snacks like fruit. So i highly recommend eating an apple or some carrots or whatever fruit/veggie/healthy sorta snack you can get your hands on whenever you get hungry. The last thing you want to do is get super hungry then go to one of those college style buffets and just gorge yourself. So eat regurlarly throughout the day in healthy portions and you'll be golden.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I agree with what the evertine is saying Do not cut Carbs but do not go over board. I got to McDonalds About once every two week and used to drink Coke but, Instead now I replaced it with Power aid. Do simple things to replace unheathly foofd groups or drins .I have a major sweet tooth but, I make it that I only but a boz of candy or something sweet on the weekends.

Start out slow with your work out and slowly move but. I suggest try a swiiming class once or twice a week and after a while of doing it your body will slowly change for the better. But the most IMPORTENT theing is never hate your body it will only lead to pain. Be happy woth who you are and tell your self I am only doing this to be heathler. Love who you are no matter what and never go for the diet scam cause they just put back the weight you lose. Eat more fish, Drink power aid, and Talk to a doctor or someone who has more insight in this.
But, you can lose it if you really choose to and once you start don't ever stop.:catgirl:

Guest pixi_heric
Wow thats impressive losing weight is such a good thing to do. I know I've done it.

Theres loads of ways to lose weight, probably the best is to just not eat anything, the good thing about this is that your not adding anything to your body so you're body is just burning up the fat to function so you're essentially killing two dungeon masters with one enchanted sword. (You didn't even have to search for that dungeons key item to kill the second boss! - JK)

Any way I would suggest not eating for a bit try it for 4 days or so and see how you do. :animesmil

The other method I suggest and I know this is really bad and I personally would rather die than do it but if you dont watch anime and maybe go for a run instead of blogging the latest anime method like I know when I first saw the bead of sweat on super energy mans face I blogged that it was a contrast of a laugh a bit of shock and fear on his face all at once, a bit like this smiley :animeswea. Suddenly I got emerged in a guest book blog war with someone who said the animation was rubbish and the voice over work was shoddy and before I knew it I had sat there all night instead of doing my intended work out.

But if you can do it all the power to you mate!

[SIZE="1"]Andrew and Neil have pretty much summed it up, cardio exercises with some light weight/heavy rep weight lifting should do the job, but just don't expect results overnight. The only thing I would add to it is to absolutely ensure you're getting enough water, especially if you're going to be working out more, you wouldn't believe how much dehydration can affect your routine. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Andrew and Neil have pretty much summed it up, cardio exercises with some light weight/heavy rep weight lifting should do the job, but just don't expect results overnight. The only thing I would add to it is to absolutely ensure you're getting enough water, especially if you're going to be working out more, you wouldn't believe how much dehydration can affect your routine. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

True enough. I did forget this.

Dehydration can start setting in as soon as fifteen minutes in a mildly strenuous workout even at room temperature. And regardless of what you hear, stay away from any type of fruit drink, even Gatorade and Powerade, during extended workouts, ESPECIALLY during the work out. Good for when you take a decent break or when you're done, but not during a long run or full body workout. The thick mixture of syrups and pulp-based fluids can cause agonizing cramps. Trust me.

Water makes up seventy-odd percent of your body, and you need to keep it that way. Show some love to a Dasani bottle.

[quote name='Chaos']True enough. I did forget this.

Dehydration can start setting in as soon as fifteen minutes in a mildly strenuous workout even at room temperature. And regardless of what you hear, stay away from any type of fruit drink, even Gatorade and Powerade, during extended workouts, ESPECIALLY during the work out. Good for when you take a decent break or when you're done, but not during a long run or full body workout. The thick mixture of syrups and pulp-based fluids can cause agonizing cramps. Trust me.

Water makes up seventy-odd percent of your body, and you need to keep it that way. Show some love to a Dasani bottle.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Definitely stay away from fruit drinks, sure they might look close enough to water, but you will, as Neil pointed out, feel the difference after a work out.

Also it might seem obvious, and I don't know if has been said yet, but eat more than an hour before you work out, i.e. if you're wort out routine is at 10 a.m. eat at 9.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Also it might seem obvious, and I don't know if has been said yet, but eat more than an hour before you work out, i.e. if you're wort out routine is at 10 a.m. eat at 9.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][COLOR=maroon]That depends on your goals, actually. If you are bulking up, then eating before is great. Otherwise, you have to exhaust your newly-acquired glycogen stores before you can be sure you are burning fat.

That doesn't mean to starve yourself until you workout, but if you are going to work out first thing in the morning, it's better to workout before eating if you want to lose weight.[/COLOR]