OtakuBoards

Wall-E

TheShinje

WALL-E is the latest Pixar/Disney movie. It's about the last robot left on earth, a robot that develops feelings and emotion, a robot that looks intriguingly like Johnny-5 of Short Circut fame.

[URL="http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=walleposteraw7.jpg"][IMG]http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/658/walleposteraw7.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL="http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3nh4.jpg"][IMG]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5328/img3nh4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That's a good thing, because Johnny 5 rocks, and this movie shoudl too. It's certainly a unique one. It's characters don't "talk," instead, pixar are using robotic sounds to portray the emotion of the characters.

The basic plotline is that Johnny 5...er, I mean, WALL-E, Is left on earth to clean up our junk when we over-pollute the earth. After 700 years carrying on this futile task, he will meet a robot called EVE, which he will fall in love with. Sadly for Johnn..... WALL-E, EVE cannot compute emotion like he can, and his love goes unreciprocated...

It will be a great movie just to see how Pixar deal wiht making a feature length film with characters that don't speak in the traditional sense. I'm also interested in how WALL-E will get the girl of his dreams (come on, you know he will ;) )

What's your take on WALL-E?

(can a mod please fix up the capitals on the thread title? cheers!)

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Wall-E is the best it's going to get. There's a setting on the forum preventing "shouting" which will turn a thread title written in all caps into sentence case.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]-Petie[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]P.S. I just realized your request was made 6 months ago (as was the original title change) but I guess the above explanation is still relevant since the thread title was never changed to the exact title you requested.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Jeremiah']I'm also interested in how WALL-E will get the girl of his dreams (come on, you know he will ;) )

What's your take on WALL-E?[/QUOTE]Well from the previews I've seen of it when I went to a number of movies over the holidays... It looked intriguing so I imagine that once it actually comes out I'll probably go and see it. That and I'm curious to see how they handle the bit with WALL-E getting the girl of his dreams as you put it. I think that will be interesting to see considering the nature of the film.

It looks like it's going to be one of Pixar's good movies--it's directed by the guy who did Finding Nemo, and the music, from what I can tell in the previews, sounds really fun. And at any rate, movies without dialogue tend to be pretty cute (Triplets of Belleville, anyone?).

[quote name='Drifting soul']I'm really looking foreward to this movie. Whenever I look at that promotional picture I go 'awww' and want to hug him, even though he's a robot.
Pixar attempting a movie without speech is daring but daring films are the best.[/quote] Daring? Not really. Pixar has done numerous shorts without speaking parts, so they've certainly got the method down, and whether it gets critical acclaim or not, they're pretty much guaranteed to get a good return on any movie they do because of the weight of their name and the dependability of children/family audiences.

• 5 months later...
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]This came out yesterday, how has nobody posted yet?!

I got the pleasure of seeing this in an advanced screening on Thursday with my work mates. Before I say anything about the movie, I must mention that at the beginning there is a cute little short called "Presto!" featuring a fame-hungry magician and his hungry rabbit which is just hilarious. I look forward to seeing it again when I see Wall-E a second time. :D

If there is one thing that this movie does better than any other Pixar film before it (except for maybe Finding Nemo) is attention to detail. There are times when the camera will do a face shot of Wall-E and you can literally make out little scratches and dents in his metal from all the years of collecting garbage. From little things like that to the perfect clasping of a longing robots hands bring this movie to life and you get attached to all the characters instantly.

[center][img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1016/wallejw0.png[/img][/center]

I won't say much else because I don't want to give anything away but if you haven't seen it yet [i]go see it.[/i][/COLOR][/FONT]

Loved it. It had its fair share of implausibilities, but enough heart to make me forgive all of them. Probably my favorite Pixar film so far. Oh, and be sure to stay for the credits--they have some of the best visuals in the whole movie.

~Dagger~

This was definitely one of Pixar's best.

[B][U]PROS[/U][/B]
-It had a great epic story
-The characters were wonderful
-Good message
-Looked fantastic
-Neat effects
-It had that unique sense of adventure as if you were there yourself. You don't get to see too many films like this anymore.

[U][B]CON(S)[/B][/U]
-Pushed the environmental message down your throat a bit. Although they did it in such a way that was super exaggerated and fun (So its tough to take too many points away for that).

Also, the short before the film, Presto, was really good too. Good character acting and Alec the rabbit looked like a mini-version of bugs bunny and the trix rabbit rolled into one. Too funny. Good stuff. What did you guys think of it?

[font=trebuchet ms]What a great movie! I was so happy that it remained a love story, and even though the parts of the movie dealing with the ethical problems were the most lackluster, the kill-your-heart-cuteness made me forget all of that. I was getting sort of fidgety by the middle, but then that [spoiler]dance Wall-E and Eve had in space was wonderful[/spoiler].

The first part of the movie up until when Eve and Wall-E left Earth was the best thing I've seen from Pixar (it was literally perfect, I could not think of a better way to get the audience to absolutely love the main character), and the ending was great as well! [spoiler]I was really happy with how Pixar managed to make an action as simple as holding hands so touching[/spoiler]. One of my now favorite movies![/font]

• 4 weeks later...
[size=1]Just saw it the other day and I love it. Super duper much. As mentioned, the details were great. Really, really great. Especially in the first part when you look around the trash and you can see so many little things everywhere, or the rubble all over the earth. It made me go wow.

Plus, as Lunox said, everyone loves the main character. Every time something happens to him you hear everyone in the room holding their breath of making "ahhhh" noises or whatever. [spoiler]Think riding over the cockroach or getting a whole bunch of shopping carts on his head[/spoiler].

Absolutely love it. <3

[b]Edit:[/b] Oh yes, the movie was so great that I forgot about the short movie beforehand which had everyone laughing out loud. I was already afraid that Presto would overshadow the actual movie when I watched it, but then as soon as the movie started that thought was erased from my mind.[/size]

My friends and I went and saw Wall-E last week for a birthday present. I was shocked how much detail was put into a kids movie and how it was quite political. My friends and I could help but laugh at some of the hidden jokes that we found.

The girls in the group also couldn't help thinking the reaction of the little kids in the theater to be cute as well as the movie. At one sad scene after another you would hear wheres Wall-E? wheres Eve? The only one that got annoyed with this was the one guy in our group who kept saying that he wished they would be quiet.

I would recommend that those who haven't seen it should. It really is a movie that would apply to different tasted and different age groups besides kids.