OtakuBoards

Valentines Day. What will you do?

Rachmaninoff

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Well, I'm not really a fan of St. Valintine's day, but I celebrate it for the others in my life.

My girlfriend has this bizarre taking to Butterfingers and Sunflowers. Must be something about compound words. Anyway, my plan is to send her a bouque (?) of Butterfinger-made-Sunflowers at each of her six school periods, just to be cruel. Then we're going to dinner at this nice Italian reasturant in town, and then we'll see Juno, which she hasn't seen yet.[/FONT]

I'm single this time around, so I'll probably stay home, make some tea and hit up one of the many books I've got to read in the next two months.

I used to hate this holiday when I was single, but after the craziness that was my last relationship, I'm just happy to be alive. :)

[FONT="Century Gothic"]What I'm doing for Valentines Day is [B]NOTHING[/B]!!! I don't like doing anything special because to mean, I think that it's just plain gay. No offense to the people who love this day. I just don't like all the mushy-mushy **** that people do every year. I prefer to just kick back relax and probably chill here at the OB. Now that is what I call a day to love.[/FONT]

[quote name='The Black Order'][FONT="Century Gothic"]What I'm doing for Valentines Day is [B]NOTHING[/B]!!! I don't like doing anything special because to mean, I think that it's just plain gay. No offense to the people who love this day. I just don't like all the mushy-mushy **** that people do every year. I prefer to just kick back relax and probably chill here at the OB. Now that is what I call a day to love.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]How is a day gay? I mean, really, do St. Valentine and JC get together on the fourteenth of February and make sweet man on man love?

While my newly single self doesn?t have to worry about the holiday, I still enjoy it. It is romantic and cheesy and horribly pathetic at the same time. Oh, and the cards are incredible. I could spend hours in the Hallmark store laughing at some of the corny, sappy messages that those cards contain.[/color]

Well, it's only 3 days away. Two for those of you on the other side of the world. ^^
At least everyone has some idea of what they're going to do.
I don't know, really. I mean, I said I did. But I'm not sure. I might just sit around doing nothing as if it were any other day. Yeah. M'hm. :animeswea

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]What I wanna know is, why all y'all single emo people wanna be hatin' on the Valentine's Day festivities and what? Jays, it's like you all got this deep-rooted grudge against it just 'cause you ain't got that "special someone". For cryin' out loud, people, what'd we do in first grade?

We made little construction paper hearts ? or sometimes things that were [I]supposed[/I] to be hearts ? and we gave 'em to all our friends, our parents, our teachers, the hobos on the street....

Seriously. And then some addlepated fuzzbrain came up with this tripe called "Single's Awareness Day", [I]conveniently[/I] abbreviated SAD :rolleyes:, and turns the day into one inordinately gigantic pity party.

My gosh. :p

The way I see it, us single people can do one of two things. We can make it so we have fun just passin' out valentines to people, like we used to do back when we didn't know what emo was; or we can have fun watchin' people have fun. Enough o' this self-centered "I ain't got nobody to call my own" rubbish. Go find a Labrador. Or a kitten. Glomp somebody for no reason at all.

Chances are if they're walkin' around alone, they need it just as much as you.

[SIZE="1"]And yes, it is [I]Valentine's[/I] Day. Possessive. Not plural. :animesmil It's named in honor of people (martyrs, I think; check Wiki), and has since evolved (or devolved; whatever). It wasn't to my knowledge named because everybody passes around candy and chocolate and cards and money and flowers and paper heart-shaped crap. :p[/SIZE]

[/good-humored rant][/FONT][/QUOTE]That puts things so perfectly so I'll not bother to repeat it since I've never understood the negative slant people try to give to the holiday. Silly kids.

The only thing I miss about the holiday is that I no longer have small children in grade school. I enjoyed being one of the homeroom mothers who helped out with the actual day when it came up. I don't know what they do now, but making batches of cupcakes for the entire class was always fun.

Now It's fun to get cute little cards along with a little something to give my kids even though they're all older now. They usually give me something in return like some flowers or a video to watch. Just some simple fun for the day. :catgirl:

[COLOR="1234"]Dont' always think that way emo_dude. I have a special someone but it's not going to make Valentine's Day better knowing that I wont see her next week. PLus even wiht the greatest love on your side, Valentine's Day isn't a promise of a good, loving day.

For me 'love' has ruined my life and shrouded my judgement.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]As a [single] cynic, I don't derive much joy from Valentine's Day. To me, it's more like a profit-garnering holiday for Hallmark... It's just sickening to be bombarded by hordes of twee decorations every time I go to buy groceries.
Of course, that's not to say I'd find a way to enjoy it if I had a significant other ;)
(I'm not as bitter as I sound. Honestly ^^)[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Kam']I will be doing an atypically pathetic thing: Having sex with my girlfriend, and buying roses for the girl I actually care about.

Bah, that's horrible.

-Justin[/QUOTE]Of course it's horrible! You forgot the part about going out for dinner! How could you? Ironically, my day will be similar to yours I would imagine. Since my boyfriend has the day off. Should be fun though, since I like getting flowers, going out to dinner, having... :p[QUOTE='[Sound_Nin];805391'][COLOR=Navy]Well, you have Easter, Halloween, Christmas...
Every single holiday is canned and sold.
I think it's the candy companies, myself. ¬.¬

It's one of those things... 'Don't think about it, just enjoy the damn holiday!'[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Well canned and sold after being altered from it's original meaning. I'm partial to Halloween though, it is my birthday after all. Anyway, you're exactly right, as is Allamorph... no whining people... enjoy it! If you don't, you have only yourself to blame. After all, I've spent more years being single on the day than I have dating. It's not that hard to just have a regular good evening on your own. And it's a lot more fun than going around thinking... I hate this day! [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR=Indigo]Well canned and sold after being altered from it's original meaning. I'm partial to Halloween though, it is my birthday after all. Anyway, you're exactly right, as is Allamorph... no whining people... enjoy it! If you don't, you have only yourself to blame. After all, I've spent more years being single on the day than I have dating. It's not that hard to just have a regular good evening on your own. And it's a lot more fun than going around thinking... I hate this day! [/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Well, yeah. It seems like we're going to have to start forcing people to have fun at gunpoint.

But if you're going to hate the day, just keep it to yourself and act as if it's any other day, instead of seeing how many people you can get to feel sorry for you.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]Dont' always think that way emo_dude. I have a special someone but it's not going to make Valentine's Day better knowing that I wont see her next week. PLus even wiht the greatest love on your side, Valentine's Day isn't a promise of a good, loving day.

For me 'love' has ruined my life and shrouded my judgement.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

ok then ill just sit on my couch and eat some cookie dough while watching the scream movies xD

[quote name='emo_dude']ok then ill just sit on my couch and eat some cookie dough while watching the scream movies xD[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Sounds like a plan. :animesmil
I just wish it wasn't so cold.
I'm going to... make some construction paper hearts.
Yeah. Sounds good.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I always tell my guy friends this:

Valentine's Day is about letting the girl in your life have a nice story to tell her friends when they talk about what their boyfriends did for them and then ask her what her boyfriend did for her.

Adam

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Adam']I always tell my guy friends this:

Valentine's Day is about letting the girl in your life have a nice story to tell her friends when they talk about what their boyfriends did for them and then ask her what her boyfriend did for her.

Adam[/QUOTE]You are one hundred percent correct. :catgirl: Though I love the day even when I'm not dating. Since my family tends to give each other little gifts as a way to keep in touch since we're all grown up and living separate lives now. We use a lot of holidays in this manner, that and because it's fun.

But this year, I'm not sure what I'll be doing, my boyfriend hasn't told me yet since it's suppose to be a surprise. I do know that I'll be giving out cards and little gifts to my family and friends though. That's a given.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE='[Sound_Nin];805402'][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Sounds like a plan. :animesmil
I just wish it wasn't so cold.
I'm going to... make some construction paper hearts.
Yeah. Sounds good.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

i would join you but i cant find my scissors