OtakuBoards

Valentines Day. What will you do?

Rachmaninoff

As you all know, it will be valentines day in a week. I know this was brought up last year but hey, each year is different right? After all, last year I wasn?t dating so that?s put a different spin on it already for me since I know I?ll be doing something with my girlfriend. Anyway?

Basically, what do you do, if anything, for this day of the year? Even if I don?t have a girlfriend I always get some flowers for my mom or any girls who are good friends. It?s just the nice thing to do in my opinion. I can?t imagine not giving my mom something since not only is she a sweetheart, but it just seems to be a fitting way to remind her of how much I love her.

I?ve noticed that it?s a toss up among my friends as to whether they like the day or hate it. I?ve always liked it but then that?s just me. It probably helps that I?ve never had any negative experiences, even when I was single on that day. Though I?ll admit that having someone to spend it with makes it more fun, or at the very least seem more fun. So, what?s your take? Or rather, what will you do?

[size=1]I personally love the day. It makes everyone bubbly and excited, and there's a plethora of red running rampant. :) Had a poetic moment there.

I have absolutely no idea what my boyfriend has planned for us. He told me not to be disappointed if I don't get anything at school - which means he has something planned. I just haven't figured it out yet. ^________^

I personally love bringing a bag of Hershey Kisses to school and discreetly leaving them near my friends with little notes attached to them. It's so fun - and for my really good friends it's usually a small box of candy. I'm not sure how much I can afford this year, though, so a handful of Kisses might have to be it. >.<[/size]

[SIZE="1"]Nothing at all. I never liked Valentines Day, I always thought it was a waste. Sweetest Day is even worse, lol.

Actually I call Feb. 14 Arizona Day. I was born in AZ, but I don't currently live there, and I miss it. Because AZ became a state February 14, 1912. Really its kind of just a holiday between my mom, brother and I, heh. Its much more fun.[/SIZE]

February 14th is celebrated in Finland as "Friends' Day", as we lack the Catholic tradition that many other countries have. Of course the day's tradition was brought here by American postcard companies sometime in the 50's or so.

But yeah, in my country it's been more about celebrating friendships and close relationships rather than strictly about pairs of lovers. But I got to admit that ever since I went steady with my boyfriend, the day has had a certain "lovey dovey kissy kissy"-feeling to it. ;D

And that, my friends, is not a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all...

Personally, I've never been too too big on Valentines day purely because it gives people an excuse to be romantic, when they should be regardless of what day of the year it is. My fiance and I treat most days as the standard person treats Valentines day. When he comes home he always brings me roses/various other flowers even though I don't think that's necessary. We surprise one another will little gifts all the time. We don't feel obligated to, it's just how we are.

I'll now contradict my feelings of the unimportance of Valentines day by saying this year we will be celebrating it. I did a bit of shopping in Manhattan yesterday for the event (I'll leave the items in my shopping bag to the imagination).

I must admit though, it will be hard to make this day any more romantic than the norm. If every day in itself is a dream in that sense, then what can you do to top it?

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I never do much beyond giving little valentines to my friends. It's usually all in fun so I enjoy the day. It's only once a year and I see no reason to dislike it. Maybe once I've had a boyfriend I'll understand why people get the idea to hate the day, but until then? Bah! I'm going to keep liking it like I always have. :catgirl: [/FONT][/COLOR]

We both have work and/or school on Valentine's Day so it's going to be tricky.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "holiday" because I don't believe that we need a holiday to provoke us to show affection. I will still participate happily though, as I probably don't have much of a choice. lol :animeknow

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I wrote my crush a little Valentine's note already.... .....but I haven't sent it off yet and I kept it casual because goodness knows the worst way to get a guy is to scare him off first.

I also have others for my friends I'm visiting the week after. They're Hello Kitty themed, so theoretically nobody will like them but the females. But since they come with sparkly sugar infested candy, the guys might give in and like them too. Who knows?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Let's see. I will go to class, sell roses for Anime Club at my college, then go to work. After that I will study listening to my Zune. Yay Single Awareness Day! I do not care for such lame holidays. Christmas is where it is at![/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]It all depends on whether or not I'm dating. This year I am so I'll likely be doing something with my boyfriend. It falls on a good day for him as far as work and me as far as school, so it should be fun since we'll both have time to spend the afternoon/evening together. On the years I didn't date, I just do what I always, do, homework and video games. Either way I don't like or dislike the holiday. [/COLOR]

I will be doing nothing. I personally [B]dread[/B] the holiday. It's overly commercialized and makes us single people feel bad. I actually got a boyfriend on Valentine's day two years ago, so it kind of ruined it now that I don't have a significant other on that day. Last year I went to a concert (John Mayer) and this year, I'll be preparing for a study abroad to China on the 16th. A guy friend from another forum promised to send me a Valentine's day e-card, and to "keep me company" but it's just not the same since he lives on the opposite side of the continent.*sigh*

Like Sandy said, in Finland it's "Friend's Day," which I think is a MUCH better idea.

Yeah, I hate this commercial holiday. Happy *early* Single's Awareness Day!

[quote name='Kam']I will be doing an atypically pathetic thing: Having sex with my girlfriend, and buying roses for the girl I actually care about.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Hopefully not at the same time.

What I wanna know is, why all y'all single emo people wanna be hatin' on the Valentine's Day festivities and what? Jays, it's like you all got this deep-rooted grudge against it just 'cause you ain't got that "special someone". For cryin' out loud, people, what'd we do in first grade?

We made little construction paper hearts — or sometimes things that were [I]supposed[/I] to be hearts — and we gave 'em to all our friends, our parents, our teachers, the hobos on the street....

Seriously. And then some addlepated fuzzbrain came up with this tripe called "Single's Awareness Day", [I]conveniently[/I] abbreviated SAD :rolleyes:, and turns the day into one inordinately gigantic pity party.

My gosh. :p

The way I see it, us single people can do one of two things. We can make it so we have fun just passin' out valentines to people, like we used to do back when we didn't know what emo was; or we can have fun watchin' people have fun. Enough o' this self-centered "I ain't got nobody to call my own" rubbish. Go find a Labrador. Or a kitten. Glomp somebody for no reason at all.

Chances are if they're walkin' around alone, they need it just as much as you.

[SIZE="1"]And yes, it is [I]Valentine's[/I] Day. Possessive. Not plural. :animesmil It's named in honor of people (martyrs, I think; check Wiki), and has since evolved (or devolved; whatever). It wasn't to my knowledge named because everybody passes around candy and chocolate and cards and money and flowers and paper heart-shaped crap. :p[/SIZE]

[/good-humored rant][/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Hopefully not at the same time.

What I wanna know is, why all y'all single emo people wanna be hatin' on the Valentine's Day festivities and what? Jays, it's like you all got this deep-rooted grudge against it just 'cause you ain't got that "special someone". For cryin' out loud, people, what'd we do in first grade?

We made little construction paper hearts — or sometimes things that were [I]supposed[/I] to be hearts — and we gave 'em to all our friends, our parents, our teachers, the hobos on the street....

Seriously. And then some addlepated fuzzbrain came up with this tripe called "Single's Awareness Day", [I]conveniently[/I] abbreviated SAD :rolleyes:, and turns the day into one inordinately gigantic pity party.

My gosh. :p

The way I see it, us single people can do one of two things. We can make it so we have fun just passin' out valentines to people, like we used to do back when we didn't know what emo was; or we can have fun watchin' people have fun. Enough o' this self-centered "I ain't got nobody to call my own" rubbish. Go find a Labrador. Or a kitten. Glomp somebody for no reason at all.

Chances are if they're walkin' around alone, they need it just as much as you.

[SIZE="1"]And yes, it is [I]Valentine's[/I] Day. Possessive. Not plural. :animesmil It's named in honor of people (martyrs, I think; check Wiki), and has since evolved (or devolved; whatever). It wasn't to my knowledge named because everybody passes around candy and chocolate and cards and money and flowers and paper heart-shaped crap. :p[/SIZE]

[/good-humored rant][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]...Have you been drinking?

Erm... I'm going to see a friend for pancakes and smoothies. I'm going to be happy, or at least try not to make any snide, morbid jokes. I might also go in school on Valentines Day - provided it's not a weekend. All I know is my friend and I planned to go out for pancakes and smoothies on Valentines Day.

I do wish I had a significent other though. Or at least a [pretty] girl to cart around with me >_<

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, I'm passing around Valentines cards to all the people who are homophobic in my school and passing around cards to people I hate, from people I hate. I may not be saying anything morbid on Valentines Day, but for the days coming up to it, I'll be a bastard.[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]... I may not be saying anything morbid on Valentines Day, but for the days coming up to it, I'll be a bastard.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Here, here! Did I not say I was going to sell roses for boyfriends to give their girlfriends? (Dirt cheap, mind you.)

-checks again- Yep! I am making all the loveirds more happy buy selling anime roses for cheap. I put a smile on all of my friends faces without even trying so I will try to cheer everyone up who are sad. [/SIZE]

Well I got out of a heavy relationship like a while ago, and as my luck would have it I see my ex on a daily basis, so chances are I will be all emo and stuff if I see her with her new guy who was an *** to me while I was with her. However, on the plus side, I have recently come into having a new girl in my life who is drasticly helping me forget about my ex. I have already bought her gift and I pray she likes it. It's a jewelry-looking box about 3 x 6 inches in size. Inside is a clear glass rose, gold lining round the leafs and the glass for the head of the rose is red. On the inside of the top of the box is a saying "Everytime I thin of you m heart skips a beat..I cherish every moment with you. Happy Valentines Day" Is that rly rly sweet or too cliche to be appreciated?

[quote name='The Enemy']It's a jewelry-looking box about 3 x 6 inches in size. Inside is a clear glass rose, gold lining round the leafs and the glass for the head of the rose is red. On the inside of the top of the box is a saying "Everytime I thin of you m heart skips a beat..I cherish every moment with you. Happy Valentines Day"[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Unless she's jaded beyond belief, I'm pretty sure she'll emit a long, happy cooing sound.

Or at least a good gasp. It's a glass rose, for pete's sake. :p[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]I don't think it's so great, but at the same time I always celebrate it. :]
Last year I went downtown with my girlfriend at the time and got her a lot of nice stuff at Macy's. I'm sweet like that. :animesmil
This year, I'm not sure what I'll do. She's now my ex, I'll probably call her so we can talk about way back when, lol.
And then I'll spend the entire day talking to my boyfriend. Maybe we actually won't argue for once. Lol, it never lasts.

As for my friends, they're all girls. So I know they're expecting something. >.>
The most I can do this year is hang out with them for a while, so they can complain to me about being single on Valentine's Day. Not that I mind. I'm sweet like that. :animesmil
You get the point.

Well, I don't have any negative Valentine's experiences, so I don't have a reason to lock myself inside for the day. All the pink and red and white everywhere is kind of obnoxious, but it doesn't last long and they do that with other holidays (orange and black, red and green, etc.)
So, it won't be the best. But it'll be something.
[/COLOR]