OtakuBoards

Otaku Brawl Tournament - Got what it takes?

Ellerby

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]So with Brawl finally out, and a couple days of practice time behind us I'm sure most of you are anxious to be playing other OBers (maybe some of you already have) so I decided to create a tournament. It's not going to be anything big or fancy, just a nice tournament for whoever has Brawl to participate in.

[center][img]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6660/smashcopykd6.jpg[/img][/center]

To start off, I'll just need you guys (the participants) to post here with your Friend Code, character of choice, and skill level (1 through 5). The five skill levels are just...

[LIST=1]
[*]Beginner - New to Super Smash
[*]Novice - Still getting the hang of this but can hold their own.
[*]Casual - Plays often but not obsessively.
[*]Expert - Knows some tricks and is very experienced.
[*]Elite - A pro brawler. Most likely knew moves like wavedashing in Melee.
[/LIST]

That'll just help me set up the beginning fights so I don't have a pro starting off against a total noob. Here's my info as a template.

[b]Character of choice:[/b] Sonic
[b]Friend Code:[/b] 3308-4236-1638
[b]Skill Level:[/b] 3.5

So that's all I need from you guys right now. I know there are already two other Smash Bros. threads but I think if we're going to organize a tournament it'd be best done in its own thread.
[center][img]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9501/smashtablecopy2xs4.jpg[/img][/center]
Participants Friend Codes:
[strike][b]8bit:[/b] 3308-4236-1638[/strike]
[b]Desbreko:[/b] 1504-5385-2566
[strike][b]Flo:[/b] 0344-9072-1855[/strike]
[strike][b]Ikillion:[/b] 3308-4269-7321[/strike]
[b]Matt:[/b] 2449-4479-4390
[strike][b]nabgeta:[/b] 5327-0560-5457[/strike]
[b]Shinmaru:[/b] 4983-4584-1619
[b]Treble:[/b] 0387-8469-8440[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I'll join in if I can get a LAN adapter and set up a wired connection for my Wii in time, provided that actually helps with the lag. Using my wireless connection has ranged from practically unplayable to downright painful and competing in a tournament like that wouldn't be much fun.[/color]

My experiences with lag have been on and off so far. There are times where lag is just nearly unplayable and then there are times where it’s almost lag free. I don’t really know too much about these stuff, but hopefully things will get better as time goes on.

Anyway, here’s my info:

[B]Character of choice[/B]: Kirby
[B]Friend Code: [/B]0387-8469-8440 (Treb)
[B]Skill Level[/B]: 2.5 – 3

Let’s Brawl!

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'll join in if I can get a LAN adapter and set up a wired connection for my Wii in time, provided that actually helps with the lag. Using my wireless connection has ranged from practically unplayable to downright painful and competing in a tournament like that wouldn't be much fun.[/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Tahoma"]Participating in the tournament won't put too much of a stress on your Wii or router, hopefully. I plan on only doing 1 vs 1 matches to make things run smoother.

Glad to see a couple already signed-up![/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]It's not a bandwidth issue that causes the lag, it's ping time. I've played some four-player free-for-alls using the With Anyone option that had less lag than the 1v1 matches that me and Alex have done. Wireless has a lot higher latency than wired connections, which hurts Brawl a lot from what I've been reading.

[b]Edit:[/b]
Well, it doesn't help that our wireless network is pretty crappy and unreliable to begin with. Sometimes it cuts out entirely until the router is rebooted, for example, yet the wired connections remain fine.[/color]

Weird, I just battled for more than an hour with Alex, and there wasn't much lag in our matches (I'm using a wireless connection).

Anyway...

[b]Character of Choice:[/b] Fox
[b]Friend Code:[/b] 4983-4584-1619
[b]Skill Level:[/b] 3

[color=#4B0082]Okay, I got a LAN adapter so my connection is as good as it's going to get. Here's my info.

[b]Character of choice:[/b] Marth
[b]Friend Code:[/b] 1504-5385-2566
[b]Skill Level:[/b] 4

I would put down 5 but I'm not as good in Brawl yet as I am in Melee. :catgirl:[/color]

Man, Desbreko you totally owned me in those matches. Your characters are deadly. Specially your Pikachu, freaking insane. And argh to your Marth, got some incredible defense with that down b move. In any case, I had a ton of fun. :)

(typed this on my wii, so there may be alot of errors.)

[color=#4B0082]I <3 Pikachu. He was my primary character in the original SSB and I got pretty crazy good on him. They screwed him over in Melee by making him weaker but now they've buffed him back up in Brawl. The shorter lag time after using down-B and the extra power on down-smash (plus the fact that it actually holds people in the spin) are great. I think his side-smash might have a bit of extra range now as well.

And just wait till I get as good with Marth's down-air in Brawl as I am in Melee. I'll be spiking people into the pit as part of aerial combos whenever I get them a little over the edge of the platform. :toothy:[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Well, guys it looks like if we get just one more participant then we can start this as an 8-man round robin tournament! :animesmil

Hopefully we won't be waiting too long. Invite your friends![/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Now that we've got enough people to run this let's get going! Here's what will happen: each of you (including myself) has been paired with another Otaku based on skill level. [B]It's up to you and the person you're facing[/B] to decide when you'll jump on Brawl and fight.

Each match should be a 3 Life Stock Match with unlimited time. You can use [I]any character you want.[/I]

As for the stages you guys will be fighting on, they've been predetermined.

Desbreko VS Ikillion
[b]Stage:[/b] Bridge of Eldin

Shinmaru VS 8bit
[b]Stage:[/b] Delfino Plaza

Matt VS Flo
[b]Stage:[/b] Smashville

nabgeta VS Treble
[b]Stage:[/b] Mario Circuit

Additional info can be found in my original post. Reply here when you have the winner. Once all four matches have taken place we can move on to the semi-finals. Happy brawling![/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]Small question here: Items should be turned off for the tournament matches, right?

And also a reminder: All participants in a match would need to have items turned off to keep them from showing up, not just the host.[/color]

[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Small question here: Items should be turned off for the tournament matches, right?

And also a reminder: All participants in a match would need to have items turned off to keep them from showing up, not just the host.[/color][/QUOTE]
Actually for the first four matches I'd like all items to be on, including Dragoon Parts, Assist Trophies and Smash Balls. In the Semi-Finals however the only item will be the Smash Ball and the final match will have no items.

This tournament will probably go by pretty fast so we can always do another one where all the matches have no items or other things.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Well, Ikillion won the first round but I took best two out of the three. Apparently neither of us cares too much about who actually advances so I guess it's up to 8bit.[/color]

[quote][23:34:05] Desbreko145: That was fun. :-)
[23:34:11] tempestwind19: It was
[23:34:19] tempestwind19: I have to admit, I felt sorry for you on the first match
[23:34:24] tempestwind19: Tripping right when the thing xploded
[23:34:32] Desbreko145: Yeah, totally screwed with that bomb. >_<
[23:34:55] Desbreko145: The tripping has to be my most hated thing about Brawl.
[23:35:05] tempestwind19: It always happens at the worse time[/quote]

[quote][23:37:36] tempestwind19: Anyways, take care of that stuff, I really don't care if I win or loose
[23:37:39] tempestwind19: I need to go to bed
[23:37:47] Desbreko145: Ah, yeah.
[23:37:53] tempestwind19: Night
[23:37:59] Desbreko145: Goodnight[/quote]

[quote name='Shinmaru']Man, I tripped randomly when I faced 8bit, and it scared the **** out of me lol. Every time my character trips, I think someone is going the smash me to pieces.

And, uh, whoever wants to beat up on me more should advance. :)[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I trip all the freaking time. I don't think I've played a single match where I didn't trip at least once, except for really short ones. So far I haven't been able to find any sort of pattern to it and the idea that it's simply random pisses me off because that means there really isn't any way to avoid it. Either way, the person who came up with such a stupid "feature" should be tripped at least once per day for the rest of their life.

And if that's how we're deciding things, I think it's clear who the winner is. :p[/color]

[font=tahoma][color=dimgray]I actually almost never trip. At least not that I can think of. Apparently it only happens when you try running in the direction opposite of the direction your character is facing and even then it only happens sometimes.

Of course tripping is one reason why I love Diddy. Gotta love them bananers.[/color][/font]

[color=#4B0082]Where did you hear that? Because I've tripped a lot when trying to walk/run, dodge, or even just use a smash attack in the same direction I'm already facing. (It seems to be able to happen pretty much any time I push the control stick to the side while on the ground.) That's actually been more common for me than when trying to turn around.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Where did you hear that?[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]When you guys started talking about tripping here I had no idea what it was (having not experienced it myself) so I just googled it. A good portion of the links that came up said the same thing (what I mentioned before). It probably not 100% accurate because of that but oh well.

Maybe I'm just really fortunate because I honestly haven't tripped once since buying the game. *shrug*[/COLOR][/FONT]