OtakuBoards

Grand Theft Otaku

Raiha

[SIZE="1"][INDENT]Disconnected. That’s perhaps the best word to describe how I feel at the moment. Unlike everyone else, I bear no grudge to the doctor, despite his poor choice of opening remarks. The conditions here are familiar to me, vaguely identical to our own medical facilities back on the frontlines. In the hell of blood and saline, they all find ways of coping with the constant death, on a scale the makes the average O-City citizen pray they stay just that, an average citizen. I don’t envy him, wouldn’t trade places with him for damn near anything on God’s green, so I cut him slack in my books, if D’Ann and Kenso don’t want to though, that’s their business. I owe my life to medics like this guy more times than I’d like to count.

The cop though gets no such reprieve, I don’t like the fucker. It’s a plain, uninhibited emotion and I let him know it with the stare I give him. I’ve never liked cops, maybe it’s because the ratio of good to bad is so screwed up in O-City. Good rookies get paired with a corrupt old bastard partner, and slowly they start to see the world differently, “protect and serve” starts being just “serve” and the one being served are the cops off the backs of regular people. It’s going to get to the point where black, white and a shield are going to be the colours and symbols of O-City’s biggest gang.

I know this guy’s dirty, one look at him is enough to know it. It’s all in the way he holds himself, a swagger in his step, the way his shoulders are held, and the look in his eyes that doesn’t suggest he’s barely getting by like most people and missing nights sleep because of it. He’s just a regular badge, but the Rolex on his left wrist is definitely outside the price range he should be able to consider, it’s a new enough model too that I know it’s no present, at least not from anyone living and slaving in the O. I’m tempted to just whip out my pistol now and lodge a bullet right in the back of his brain, do O-City a favour taking out it’s walking, talking trash. Cop-killer, I start to wonder when it’s going to be considered a civil accolade rather than a crime.

Kenso. I’m still not 100% on the guy, probably because I see him as a rival. He treats D sort of the same way I used to back when I was around, but not with the same familiarity. He’s not been with her, but hopes to one day. He cares for her like I do. Fuck it, I should like him, I should be willing to trust him with my back, but I just can’t. The wound in my chest where my heart and hope used to be is still too raw to start trusting new faces, ain’t nothing personal about it Kenso, I just have to be alone for a while to figure out where I stand.

Three months and things will start making sense again, I’ll be back to being “LT, sir, Lieutenant, Gavin” whatever people have got comfortable calling me. I know who I am there, I know where I belong, I know what’s expected out of me. O-City looks exactly the same as it did when I left five years ago, but it’s changed so much that I hardly recognise it, or maybe it’s just that I hardly recognise myself.

I ran. No point in not admitting it. I thought, at the time, I was making the right decision. I had my girl, but I had no way of providing for her, I had plans, but no way of carrying them out. Warwick was the first one with the idea, and by that I mean it was his dumb-ass was the first one to actually believe that shit spouted by the recruiters when they catch kids like us walking through malls. Meat for the grinder, and it’s a big fucking grinder that needs plenty of fucking meat. He wouldn’t shut up after it, kept talking about the pay being better than anything any of us could earn in the city, how they’d pay for college afterwards, how we wouldn’t be serving for the rest of our lives, just a few years to get on our feet.

I don’t remember exactly when I started coming around to the idea, might’ve been when I started looking at getting a place of our own for D, Mike and I, playing happy family. I walked down to the recruiting office and spent the better part of an hour talking away my fears to a staff sergeant there, he seemed like a hell of a nice guy and I guess I started to trust what he was telling me. After maybe two months, most of us had made the decision to join up. The look D’Ann gave me when I told her… it was as if I was abandoning her. But I had nothing to give her to make a life together, so I saw this as an opportunity.

Only it wasn’t really. Warwick was killed his first week on duty. Roadside bomb shredded his vehicle, his mother got a flag and a letter telling her how saddened the army was for her and how gallant a soldier her son was. Craig died a little under six months later, sniper bullet turned his head into a collection of shattered bone and minced tissue, Connor’s number got called that Christmas, passing out toys to the kids in the city as a good-will gesture, suicide bomber took out him and the half dozen children with him.

That was the shatter-point for most of us, when we realised any target was fair game to the enemy, when we realised “abandon all hope” was still the sign above the door we’d walked through. More blood and tears flowed in the four years that followed, units, platoons and companies became our families as much as anyone back home. I stopped writing back home because I couldn’t see anything positive to write home about “Dear D’Ann, today I dug through the rubble to a destroyed building and pulled out a kid in pieces younger than Mike, her mother cried in my arms and begged me to save them. It’s hell here, and you’re the heaven that keeps me sane, the hope guarded in my heart. All my love - Gavin.”

And now I find out I’m supposed to be KIA, the whole smell of the idea is rotten, I’ll need to do some investigating, call to see some families to see if my hunch holds water… if it does…I don’t want to even consider what it means if it does.

I throw a nod to the cop and step outside the door, he follows me. I lean in and pass a handful of words to him. A few vague threats if he causes so much as one iota of trouble for D after this, and how I’ll get Kenso to find out every little detail on the guy so I can pay him a visit to keep my promise. Then I turn around and walk out of the hospital without so much as a goodbye to D or Kenso. I need a place to crash of my own, better start looking tonight. [/INDENT][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]I kept my eyes completely focused on the doctor, barely acknowledging Gavin's exit. Part of me wasn't sad. It would be easier without him here. Kenso shifted slightly behind me and I nodded curtly at the man who was ultimately responsible for everything that would happen to my brother here.[/i]

"If you think it'll help, I'd like to donate my blood. We're both B+."

"I can't see it doing any harm. One of the nurses will come by to help later."

"Thank you for explaining the situation to me properly."

"Welcome. It's just not often people want to know."

[i]I can't imagine my eyes looked untroubled, in fact I felt them partially going blank, and I leaned back slightly in my uncomfortable chair. Kenso looked over at us from his vantage point near the window, and the doctor seemed to shake himself, then briskly stand.[/i]

"I trust you'll be around then."

"When I'm not working yes."

[i]He nodded and left, leaving me and Kenso alone with Michael. Part of me was pleased. Kenso wasn't going to fill my ears with mindless banter like Jae would. But I also couldn't share a bed with Kenso and trust that things would be entirely peaceful and calm and free of tension. Jae could.

Gavin was gone for now but he knew where I lived. And I might even make it back again. The nurse came in with forms for me to sign again, and then extracted a pint from me with the kind of industrialized efficiency I'd seen from only a few people at my work. Kenso didn't offer his, and I didn't ask. For all I knew he had perfectly good reasons, he wasn't the right type, or he simply didn't want to explain things. Whatever.

Arm bandaged, I stood and picked up my bag, the keys jingling on their clip. Kenso turned and stood up as well.[/i]

"Thanks for coming Kenso."

"Wouldn't have just stayed out of it. You've had enough shit for one day."

"No kidding."

[i]We headed downstairs, passing druggies on gurneys in the hallways, covered over with blankets, waiting for them to detox. Nurses rushed past us both, making me feel as if I was almost standing still in the white-washed, utterly sterile environment. At our car, Kenso quickly sweeped the bottom and back for me, and it started without exploding. And on the way back things were quiet. No music from the radio. No exchanged conversation. And I was glad. Parking in front of the apartments, Kenso got out first, one hand on his hip where his gun was. I followed behind, unarmed and vulnerable.

He unlocked the front door and found it uninhabited, telling me so as soon as he came back. I dropped the bag next to the door and shut it behind me, leaning against it with a sigh of relief. The first good news all day. Gang bangers hadn't torched, tagged, or fire-bombed my house. Then again, a few knew me, and most all of them knew I was completely neutral. Because I didn't run drugs for my brother, or give his friends a place to hide, I was, I guess, safer than most gang families. And for the moment I wasn't unhappy about that.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]I almost felt sorry for the cop who was apparently handling things....Almost. He was too stupid to realize that Rai was just giving him the run around, though his constant pushing was pissing me off. Of course, I couldn't really say anything. Technically, he was doing his job. But when the city looks like it does, cops have better things to do than questioning the family members of shooting victims. I shot him a look as a warning, but he didn't notice, probably because he was too focused on his conversation with Rai. Little prick. What the fuck has become of our humanity around here? Even I went out putting bullets in people every night. Sure, they were people who needed it, but all the same, it was letting go of some level of my humanity.

The doctor was nervous. Probably just an intern. We didn't keep doctors around for very long. But he seemed to know what he was talking about, and once he realized Rai actually gave a fuck, he sat down and explained things, no sugarcoating, no bullshit. I could learn to like this one. Maybe.

It's fairly obvious that Gavin doesn't like the cop. Of course, from what I'd gathered about Gavin so far, it likely had something to do with the Rolex that pointed out a dirty cop. But I was used to that. It was when they started walking like the owned the city that I started to worry about them. At least this one still had the world-weary look to him. Maybe something would come along and wake him up. I could hope anyway.

The cop's face as Gavin leaves tells me that Gavin had a few unpleasant words for him, and his glance in my direction says I was apparently involved. But then, it was likely to protect Rai, so I simply allowed one of those threatening little half-smiles to raise the right side of my mouth a little. I may not have had a clue, but the cop didn't know that. Hopefully, that would be all it took.

The ride to Rai's was quiet, almost painfully so. But I wasn't sure what the hell to say, and some portion of me knew the smart thing to do was to say nothing at all. I played protector, almost by instinct, sweeping the house before I let Rai in. I knew it would probably be far more polite for me to go home, but I wasn't leaving her alone after everything that had gone down tonight.

Neither of us said anything after I gave the clear for her to come in, and Rai seemed almost zoned, as though she just didn't care at the moment. I reached for the door to make sure everything secure, and before my hand reached it, I heard her voice, soft but clear. [B]"Please stay."[/B]

I glanced over my shoulder, nodding an affirmation as I locked the door up and then pulled to make sure it was secure. I didn't glance back or turn around before responding. [B]"Planned on it." [/B]I glanced down, my still blood-soaked shirt officially registering in my thoughts again. [B]"What are the chances I might be able to borrow one of Mike's shirts?"[/B] I ask as I turn around. [B]"This blood is kind of uncomfortable."[/B]

If I was at home, the shirt would simply be pulled off and tossed with no replacement, but here at Rai's that was likely a bad idea. She nodded, then vanished into a room for a minute before emerging with a plain blue shirt. I asked where the bathroom was and she told me, though she looked almost confused as to why I cared about changing around her. But modesty was good sometimes.

When I came out in his shirt, which was rather tight thanks to his lanky build, Rai had the TV going and was sitting on the couch. I walked over, removing my guns and placing them on an end table where they'd be easily accessible. After placing the guns down, I sat on the other side of the couch from Rai, keeping my eyes on the door.

Some movie I hadn't seen before appeared to be just starting. "Army of Darkness" or some such thing. Sounded cheesy to me, but I wasn't about to be fussy. We didn't really talk, though the heater took a dive apparently, and the place got noticeably colder not long after it started. After that, it seemed that Rai was edging closer and closer, but I figured it was just because of the cold room. After about an hour, she was right against me, and I wasn't even certain she was actually asleep. Then, I very well could've been imagining things, as I wasn't utterly certain I was awake.

I started to let my arm wrap around her, but caught myself, and let it rest innocently on the back of the couch. Then I put my head back, and never managed to see the end of the movie.
[/SIZE]

[B][U] Saints Be Damned[/U][/B]

Whahap, fams? Me? I'm Jonny. You turtlenecks can call me Eleven, or Leven for shorties. Why Eleven? Because I fucking told you to, my turtlenecking flatrats.

Don't you bother your tankers mulling over where I's from or I's am. If it were for turtlenecks to be knowin' where-y-goes dof a bad biscuit like me, then I bet you'd fucking know it real premier, huh?

Butties, I will you tell what doing I do, flatrats. That is, if you don't go on about "propriety" and "morality" and other shit like that, man. I am, elegantly and simply, the Chief and Enforcer. That is, dof the Glass Caskets of the Northside.

Now, little jamesies; you may be mulling over how you ne'er have caught scent dof the Glass Caskets of the Northside. Well, that's for the fact that we ain't come about and found our time just yet, but wait and see, turtlenecking bastards.

As of today, we are what one may call "in the tunnels." But rest real greasy, flatties. May we be "in the tunnels" but ain't we "dof the tunnels", catchy man? We been sweating real rickytix, making our ways in the lonesome old City of our fathers. Saints of the Northside has gone under itselves, gotchy? It's a new day.

And, friends...savvy this: This ain't so low now; not gutterish. This is revolution. There will be no surrender. Saints...be damned.

=================

I'll give a short glossary of terms. I won't give a lot, because I figure you guys are smart enough to figure most of it out:

Whahap- Smoosh of "what's happening?"
Fams- Family
Turtleneck/ing- Proper citizens/dumb looking
Flatrats- People who live in proper homes
Tankers- Minds
Premier- Already, first. Without needing to be informed
Jamesies- Anyone seen as tools or supporters of the government
In the tunnels- Underground
Catchy/gotchy- Get it
Rickytix- Tirelessly

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]When my eyes open I was confused at first. Why was I staring at the coffee table instead of the ceiling in my bedroom? Why was half of me warm and half of me freezing? And what smelled like cologne? I turned my head and found myself staring up Kenso's left hand, draped against the curve of my couch, and I slowly pulled myself into a sitting position, feeling stiffness in every joint. At my movement, he woke up as well, and I started to say something but yawned instead. He smiled vaguely and checked his cell phone on the table.[/i]

"It's 10 a.m. How do you feel?"

"Little sore. You?"

"I'm just dandy. Glad work is tomorrow and not today."

[i]I stood up and walked towards my bathroom, leaving him to his own devices and starting a shower. I gathered up my clothes and picked another towel out of the linen closet, holding it up where Kenso could see it. Hot water crashing down around my sore shoulders and neck, I inhaled the steam and breathed steadily while I lathered up my hair.

"Calm yourself Rai, you just spent the night sleeping on Kenso's lap. No reason to panic, to think it means anything but what it was. Jae would kick you for thinking anything else of- Oh hell."

With soap in my eyes, I reached blindly for the stream of water, turning it to angle upwards a little more. As my vision cleared and the stinging went away I finished rinsing off the soapsuds and shampoo, squeegied the door, and wrapped my hair up in the towel, clasping on bra, buttoning up my shirt, and slithering into my jeans. While my hair was still dripping I combed it quickly and then caught it up in a twist of rag. Painting day. Outside I smelled eggs frying and sat down at the counter in the high barstool, choking down the orange juice he had poured for me. [/i]

"Helping yourself to my larder?"

"It's just eggs and OJ."

"The breakfast of champions."

[i]I automatically ate when he put down the plate in front of me, noticing out of the corner of my eye the bowl of Cherrios he had already consumed in the sink and smirked. Just eggs and OJ. For me maybe. He finished and ate standing up, holding his plate over the sink. I talked aloud, partially to him, partially to all men everywhere.[/i]

"If I ever go crazy and decide to make a restaurant, I'll make one for men and make it with no tables or chairs, just kitchen sinks. They can eat standing up over them when the waiters bring out the plates."

"I'd eat there."

[i]His enthusiasm didn't surprise me and I rolled my eyes heavenwards, calling all to witness this aggravation when my cell phone beeped once at me and I picked it up, seeing the hospital's number pop up on the caller ID. [/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]
My pager is going, it?s quite loud. There?s a moment as my brain warms up and decides that it doesn?t need any of it; I drift back asleep. The doctor in me is always prepared, always ready, and I find myself jerked awake with a shock.

Pager.

Pager is [i]important.[/I]

I must have fallen asleep while talking to my Tracheotomy patient. I stand, and the blanket wrapped around me slips to the floor. My head?s full of cotton, but the embarrassment rising through me forces it away.

[I]I fell asleep on the job[/I]

My patient is also asleep, and the little whiteboard he was using during our conversation has been put on his bedside table. I check my pager and start running. It?s an emergency page, someone is crashing. The nurses will be stabilising, but a doctor has to be there in case it all goes wrong. I jump down the stairs, hitting the second floor in record time. There?s a couple local wannabe toughs in my way, but my urgency and the authority of the scrubs gets them out of my way.

I don?t even want to know what they?re doing in my stairwell. It seems half the city drifts through here to see family. We hardly enforce visiting hours, people generally move on when they realise how much in the way they are. Guilt still plucks at the souls of the city?s worst.

I?m in the room, and I can see Michael. His blood pressure has dropped to dangerous levels; another intern is already there and resuscitating. A couple nurses are standing by, looking concerned.

?Liam,? the intern says, ?he?s going, I can?t?I?He can?t be stabilised. I don?t know what?s wrong.?

The machine announces that the heart has stopped.

?Start it up again.? I say, trying to keep my voice steady.

?He just keeps dropping. I?ve got to call it.? The intern is babbling, a sleep zombie.

I put my hand firmly on his face and shove him out of the way, hard. A nurse takes his place, while the other makes a small satisfied noise. I return to basics, and the scene plays out again. Michael?s life is back on its tiny shelf. His blood pressure is dangerously low still, and it seems to be getting lower.

?Doctor!? The nurse opposite me calls out. ?Look at his blankets!?

I see the tiny spots of blood, and rip the covers back. It?s a mess, he?s bleeding out. This is worse than bullet wound. All of the sutures seem drenched in blood. Something has gone wrong in surgery, terribly wrong.

?Prep him, now! I want him back in the OR. Hook him up again and get the Surgeon back into the game. I want him to fix what he?s broken, now!?

Hours have passed. I?m in filthy scrubs again, feeling more drained than ever before. Michael is stable. A number of sutures had been?well?lost. It was like he?d burst them. The medication mustn?t have been strong enough, he may have woken up, thrashed in pain and promptly knocked himself out.

It?s happened before. There is an alternative?but once you start becoming suspicious of foul play, you never get any work done.

Stitch them up and send them out. No questions. You stayed alive that way.

I change again and start scrubbing myself clean of the boy?s blood, hopefully for the last time. My eyes are really killing me now, like they?re filled with dust. I know I?ve been off shift since halfway through surgery, and I need to get my head down for a blessed eight hours before the next round starts, but I need to make a phone call.
?Ha, eight hours.? I mutter to myself while the phone rings. ?Maybe eight hours total per week. Hello? Is this Ms Grace? Yes, this is the Doctor from earlier. I?m just ringing to inform you that we have just taken your brother out of surgery again. He is stable, and ordinarily we do not make calls like this, but I felt it important to tell you that he required further surgical attention. Yes. Yes he suffered internal bleeding due to some suture work going wrong??

I let the sentence hang as long as I dare before continuing. ?Yes, he is stable and recovering. We feel he may have woken up prematurely and reacted badly. He may have done the damage before being knocked out by the pain.?

And I?m a flying monkey that enjoys jazz music and collecting silver spoons.

?Yes, he?s a strong kid. No doubt he?ll take anything thrown at him. I?ll keep you posted. Bye.?

I hang up and lean back in the chair, sighing. I put my feet up on the bench of the nurse?s station and fold my arms before closing my eyes.

?If anyone asks, I?m not here.? I announce, ?I?m done for the day. Unless it?s important, of course.?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I rolled my eyes and let out a groan as the cell phone rang. By the gods, aren't we allowed one uninterrupted moment of normalcy around here? Just fucking one?! I say nothing as Rai picks up the phone, her voice slightly annoyed as she greets whoever is one the other end.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Hello?...Yes, this is Ms. Grace."[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Whatever is said next turns Rai even more white. Not a good fucking sign. It takes a little time before she says anything. [B]"Is he OK?....He's strong, he'll come through.....Good-bye."[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]She barely has the strength in her to place the phone down at the news. I watch as the phone slides from her fingers onto the table, and she just sits there. She looks ready to cry, and I know something's up with Michael. I take two steps toward her and she looks up.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][B]"They say the sutures broke, that he woke up early and broke them moving. They had to bring him back into surgery. He's stable now. The doctor didn't sound too convinced about what happened."[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I finish walking toward her, wiping away a tear that was sliding down her cheek. We both knew better. There was something bigger going down here, and while I don't think the doctor was in on it, the Surgeon may very well be. It just didn't sound promising.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"You want to head over?"[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]She stands as though to answer, but that's when she breaks down completely. She's trying not to sob, and that's obvious, but she can't really be blamed. I wrap my arms around her, resting her head against my chest. My fingers toy with her hair a little bit, as I'm not really sure what else to do. I know a lot of people that helps calm down, myself included. Not sure why, but it does.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]As I hold her, I glance over at the end table where my guns are sitting. I think maybe I need to work some overtime tonight....[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]I don't know why I turned to him unconsciously or why I found myself sobbing aloud on his shoulder, as helpless as a child. I felt my fingers clinging to the fabric of my brother's shirt on his body and knew that I was staining his sleeves with tears. Eventually I felt myself calming down and forced my emotions under control, giving them a feeble shake. I pulled away slowly and I felt his arms slowly recede from their position on my shoulders and back. Awkwardly I turned to one side and reached for a Kleenex from the table. I wiped my eyes and walked to my bedroom, hoping he wouldn't follow, gratified when he didn't.

I changed my clothes automatically, looking at the thermometer outside climbing up to 90 degrees. A shorter skirt, a blouse, and I picked up my things from the end table and walked back to the living room to find Kenso putting his guns away in various places in his waistband, in his pack and I tossed him the keys. We drove through the town slowly, obeying the speed limits, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. No more sirens then the usual background noise, no police helicopter fly-overs. In the offices I signed in and went upstairs to find Michael resting, pale and gray skinned, a far cry from his usual tan. Kenso stood up behind me and looked over at Michael's fresh bandages.[/i]

"Wasn't he on a serious pain killer drip?"

"Morphine."

"...I'll talk to you later Raiha."

[i]He leaned over and gave me a quick hug, and then was out the door. I pulled my notepad from my purse and sat down in the chair across from his bed and leaned back, flicking the pen between my fingers. The doctor knew I was in, but I could sense he wasn't coming in to talk to me just yet. I don't blame him though. A nurse breezed in, looked at Michael's vitals, gave me a curt nod, then began checking on the next patient. I stood up and pushed my purse under the chair that I'd designated as my own. Out in the hallway I walked down towards the women's bathroom and noticed a couple men, unshaven and hollow eyed watching my every move. In the bathroom I locked the door behind me faster than I would've if anybody had been watching.

I washed my face, flinching at the cold water, and then wiped myself dry with the rough paper towels. Padding out again, I noticed the men were gone, and I flew back to his room, skidding to a stop at the door to find him unchanged, the nurse gone. He was still breathing, my purse was still there, and he looked normal. I sat down next to him with a heavy sigh and waited for the doctor to arrive.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]“Doctor.”

“Mmf.”

[I]”Doctor.”[/I]

“What?” I ask testily.

One of the nurses is looking at me with a clipboard in her hands.

“Your patient’s sister is back. She looks like she needs to see you.” The nurse says, giving me what could only be called a [I]look[/I].

I sit up and notice that I’ve been wheeled into a corner, and now seem to have a hospital blanket over me to ward against the chill of the hospital air-conditioning. I untuck myself as professionally as possible and accept the clipboard.

“Is she up in the ward?” I ask, trying to straighten my scrubs.

“Yes Doctor.”

With a roll of her eyes, the nurse is gone, returning to her ward duties. I realise at this point that my stethoscope has somehow become entangled and my hair is what can only be described as a bird’s nest. I move on, tidying myself as I make my way up.

I walk straight into the room, flicking open the clipboard and comparing it to the chart at the foot of the bed. I then make my way to the opposite side of the bed, creating a conscious barrier between myself and the young woman that’s giving me a look that I’ve seen before and have tried to ignore. Hope. Anger. Pity. Sorrow. All meshed together.

“Thankyou for dropping in like this. It’s most unusual, I know, but in a case like this I prefer a more personal touch” I say, giving what I hope is more of a winning smile than a grim rictus.

The look remains.

“Right, the important stuff. Let me just check my chart here.” I open the clipboard and immediately begin to scribble out on the blank pages. “How familiar are you with anatomy? I just have a diagram here to represent what we feel has happened with the bad sutures.”

I try a subtle curt look around and face the scribble toward her.

[I]You seem honest. How much do you want your brother to be okay?[/I]

Oh. Mostly anger now, brilliant. New page.

“Are you sure? Maybe I didn’t quite get this just right. I’ll try again.”

[I]You’re on the level. I’ll trust you.[/I]

Lots of anger. Maybe some hurt? It doesn’t matter, I can tell she want’s what’s best for her brother. Maybe there are some incorruptible people out there. I certainly can’t trust people in my hospital. The staff, yes, but not the detritus that seems to live in here.

“Now, your brother here should be okay on his own,” I shake my head once, “he’s strong, but I’m not sure how well he’s going to pull through,” I give a wink as she looks horrified, “I’m strongly going to recommend that you and your family or friends spend as much time as possible by his bedside. We simply don’t have the manpower to be with him all the time. Stay as long as you wish.”

“Thankyou, Doctor.” Rai says, relieved but looking puzzled.

“Not at all.” I smile and lean forward, both hands placed on the bed beside Michael. “I don’t think [I]this[/I]- I lean heavily on the bed near Michael’s stomach, causing him to roll slightly towards me- will happen again.”

She looks shocked again, but nods, and reaches down for her handbag under her seat. I smile and scribble out a new message on my clipboard.

[I]I hate duplicity[/I].

There’s a small smile there. It eases the paranoia that I felt rising in my chest like some horrible constricting vine.

“I’m going against my better judgement here, but this is my pager number. You can page me through this phone here on this extension. If you want counselling or to talk one on one, I can arrange a quiet room once the rest of your family are here. Is that okay?”

"We don't have any family." She looks hard at me, eyes piercing me, "it's just us."
[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]The doctor regarded me, then Mike, breathing shallow and fast under the starched and bleached sheets. He looked like he was going to say something, but I turned and sat again, tucking the sheets up against my brother's chest again. He didn't stir and the steady drip of the IV lines in his arms and hands made my heart tremor. I noticed my hands were shaking slightly and I tucked them under my legs and crossed them. I leaned back, murmuring the sutras for him under my breath, keeping time to the sound of the monitor's beeping.

The hours passed very slowly, the tv silently blinked and flashed and struggled to make itself noticed. Kenso didn't call me, but I didn't mind. He had things to do. I had a brother to hold onto.

Eventually I realized that I'd have to get home and get back to work. I stood, and checked out at the nurse's station. Mayella gave me a tired smile and I imagine mine wasn't any less exhausted. The parking structure was badly put together. I knew there had been attacks on women in the past, despite numerous strategically placed mirrors and the occasional patrol by useless rent-a-cops, but I wasn't feeling very sanguine about it. Clutching my purse like a newborn I nervously fished for my keys as I kept up a brisk pace. The sounds of cars rolling through the structure echoed and reverberated around the concrete and I forced myself to keep it at a walk instead of a run.

But by the time I was finally in sight of my car it was too late. A hand clamped down on my mouth from behind and I felt my arms pinned to my sides. A voice, hoarse, whispered, came down to my ear and I went very still immediately.[/i]

"That's right. Don't struggle, you'll only hurt yourself."

[i]I didn't say anything in return, or even attempt to through the sweaty hand pressing my lips against my teeth so hard I could taste blood in the corner of my mouth. My purse was snatched from me by another pair of hands and I felt a blindfold being stretched across my eyes. Pushed into a car, slamming door, and I sat still. I could smell firing residue in the air, and the sound of someone fidgeting with the safety of a handgun, or at least I hoped it was a handgun.

The car circled down to the exit and I sat patiently, silently, not sobbing just yet. Nobody had tried to rip my clothes off yet. Instead the car stopped after traveling for what felt like hours, but was probably only ten minutes. I was jerked out, and nobody spoke, but instead of hands on my mouth and arms, I could feel the muzzle of a gun pressed into the small of my back. Someone jerked me up a flight of stairs and I heard a door open and then slam shut as I was pulled through. Then I sat, and waited, and pressed my hands together under the wooden chair I'd been shoved against. Then I heard a voice. A thick accent I couldn't place, and the sound of a crazy calm that didn't belong.[/i]

"What we did to your brother was regrettable. Killing little boys isn't high on our agenda. But I hope you believe me when I tell you that it was such a terrible accident."

"...were the popped sutures also an accident?"

[i]I heard movement, and then my vision exploded in white and red light. My ears rang from the slap, I don't know where from and I felt myself nearly tip out of the chair. Hushed whispers in a harsh tone came to me through the clanging in my head and then the voice spoke again.[/i]

"Someone else is attacking your brother for reasons that have something to do with us. Not with him personally. Ask him what he saw if he ever wakes up. Then come to us."

"You-"

[i]I cut myself off. Someone had unzipped my purse and I heard a paper shuffling inside it. Then the sounds stopped, and I felt myself jerked upright again. Dragged out the door, down the stairs, across a walkway and back into the car. No gun this time, instead the voice had come with me this time.[/i]

"You will be dropped off at a random location and find your own way home. Your car keys are still in your purse, and your car is safe where it is in the hospital. Remove the blindfold when you can no longer hear this car's engine."

[i]I would've nodded, but the subtle hint of arrogance flashing through his voice seemed to know instinctively that I would obey. Eventually the car came to a stop, the brakes whining slightly with the effort and I stepped out of the car. Someone came with me, and then I felt the crush of a fist against my ribs, against my cheek, and my shoulders. As I dropped and curled up instinctively against the attack it stopped just as abruptly as it began. I heard the door slam and the engine sounds grow loud, then quiet again. I counted to ten and then raised a shaking hand to pull away the blindfold. The corner of Smith and 16th. Not my brother's territory, and I hurt too much to remember who.

Dragging myself up the concrete steps of the nearest building, trying to get away from the street incase they came back and found me I held onto my purse straps with one hand and collapsed on the second flight of stairs attached to the apartment building. I was dimly aware of the sound of footsteps, and someone shouting something in Spanish, but everything seemed blurry. A hand on my shoulder made me flinch until I heard a voice and felt myself being gently turned over.[/i]

"You Lil' Z's sister. Someone got you good."

[i]My lower lip had already swollen up with blood and I mumbled something that I hoped sounded like "un huh." Instead I heard a girl's voice and felt myself being carried into an apartment. Then I felt a washcloth on my lip, a sting, and then a trickle of blood. A older looking Latina woman was leaning over me, patiently removing encrusted blood from my eyes and my right ear. I could hear male voices dimly, coming through almost randomly.[/i]

"Kenso's...heina. ....bicho puta-"

[i]She put her right hand on my eye and gently pulled it back to check the broken blood vessels, then released gently, satisfied.[/i]

"I'm Roselia. My brother brought you here."

"Brother?"

"Eduardo."

[i]My brain suddenly clicked and I reeled a little. Eduardo was a lieutenant in the Southsiders. My brother respected him enough to not get near his territory, and I felt myself shudder involuntarily. Then I remembered what I'd heard from work.[/i]

"They don't rape women."

"No. Not you especially. They know you neutral. They know you want to help kids."

[i]By now my vision was focusing again and I could see a group of Southsiders sitting around the kitchen table playing cards and smoking so much they appeared to be surrounded by a personal fog. Eduardo himself stood up and walked over with less of a swagger than I expected.[/i]

"My sister fix you up?"

"Uh huh."

"We drop you off at home then when you ready. You Kenso's heina?"

[i]My face, however lopsided it looked, must've blushed through the bruises because he threw back his head and laughed. Then he chuckled just a little and helped me to stand up.[/i]

"Come over and have a brew. Roselia'll make you somethin'."

"Thanks."

[i]One of his brothers stood up and let me sit at the table. Another handed me a Corona so cold it felt like it'd been stored on dry ice. Instead of opening it though I pressed it against my cheek and rested my elbows on the table, watching the men smoke and deal.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Two trips to the hospital in under 24 hours - not exactly how I'd imagined spending time with Raiha. To top it all of, it looked like somebody had it in bad for Mike. Getting shot was fairly routine in Otaku City, but even in a low-budget hellhole like Otaku General popping sutures while on a morphine drip was far from normal. I told Raiha I was leaving, though I wasn't fond of the idea. Admittedly, part of that was that I was simply enjoying the time outside of work, but at least an equal part of that was simply that I was worried she might be a target too.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Fact was, however, I could likely be far more useful elsewhere. I was surprised to see a lack of cops hanging around. Considering attitudes the night before, I'd rather expected at least one to be stationed there to badger people. Then again, Gavin and I may very well have scared them off. That was the idea after all.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]The big question once I was out of the hospital was simply where the hell to start. With Mike out, I don't really have a way of knowing what exactly happened and where. For now, I was apparently alloted to mindless wandering until I stumbled upon something interesting. I though 15th might be a good spot to begin considering that's where Rai had picked up her friend. It wasn't much to go off, especially since Mike wouldn't likely be near a cholo convention, but I had to start somewhere.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]It was not a particularly short walk to 15th, but my car was at Rai's, not to mention I didn't like to bring it on these excursions. You had far more escape options on foor if you knew what you were doing, and that always made it seem like a better option to me. Of course, it took three times longer for me, as I took something of a zigzag route. I prefer it that way, as it throws people for a loop.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Unfortunately, my only lead turned up empty. There'd definitely been quite a ruckus, and a few people got stabbed, but no shots. That kinda rules out Mike's problem, unless someone had a knife that left bullets. I had to rethink my approach, and quickly realized mistake #1. Mike had to have been attacked much closer to home. He had three bullets in him and was near dead when he got to the apartment. There was no way he could've covered any significant distance in that state. Some cop I was to miss something that obvious.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Having stumbled upon that realization, I started heading toward Rai's apartment. For once, I was making a straight shot, no detours. I'd gotten about 4 blocks, just walking past a parking garage, when I heard someone call my name. I stopped dead, mildly unnerved, as I didn't see anyone around.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Do not move, Kenso, and my subordinates will do the same. We are aware of the danger you could be to use, and have no interest in losing men to bring you down just for a warning unless absolutely necessary."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]As I looked around, I noticed men hidden in the shadows at building corners and little nooks in front of doorframes. The voice sounded like it was coming from the parking garage, but I wasn't going to turn to look. [B]"Alright, you've got my attention. What do you want?"[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Something rather regrettable happened to a young man last night. He got himself caught in the middle of quite a mess, I'm afraid."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"So three bullet and dead twice on the gurney wasn't enough? You have to fuck up his surg-"[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"SILENCE. Do not question me. The problem you speak of was not by our hand. We are not in the habit of killing children. That was the other side of the equation he's in the middle of. "[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Who's responsible?"[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"That is not for you to know, not now. You can talk to the boy - if or when he wakes. Or you can talk to that pretty little girl of yours."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Don't have a girl of mine, so I don't know what you're talking about."[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Don't be stupid. Every one of us knows better than that, even if you don't. By the gods, at least she knew to keep her mouth shut while I talked. And say nothing - she's alive and no longer in our hands. You are going to hear a car start. When you can no longer hear the engine, turn around. There will be a wallet on the toll booth. In it is contact information. Use it after you've spoken to the boy."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Within seconds of him shutting up, I heard the loud roar of a powerful engine. I could hear it driving away for a while, but I was on the move the second the sound faded away. I didn't bother to look in the wallet I found, simply shoving it in a pocket. I pulled my cell phone and immediately called Raiha.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]The voice that answered was male and accented. "Raiha's phone. Who's calling?"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I was pissed. [B]"Where the hell is Rai?"[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Someone messed her up and dropped her on our doorstep. Sister cleaned her up. Meet you at the park near her apartment."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Fine."[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I hung up and started booking for the park. I wasn't there long before a car pulled up and some Southsiders stepped out, helping Raiha out of the car. I saw her face and nearly flipped, but I knew enough to know they wouldn't have done that to her.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"Ey man, we return your heina to you, better than she was."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I walked over and tilted her face up for a better look. She'd definitely been cleaned up well. [B]"Thank you."[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]"No problem, man. Lil Z's sister's neutral. No reason for her to be messed up. Now we just return what's yours. Adios." They got back in the car and left, leaving me with Raiha.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I spoke before she could. [B]"Alright, I really want to know what happened, but I gotta figure something out first. Why does everyone seem to think I have a claim to you? Did something happen that I'm not aware of that changes our status? Or am I just that damned oblivious?"[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]I could feel his arms on me, and I gave him just the barest hint of a grin; my lips burned like fire if I tried to move them more than was necessary for speaking. Kenso didn't smile back, so I sobered up and gave him a look, leaning against him just a little when he helped me up the staircase to my apartment.[/i]

"You've been seen with me at the hospital, you've been seen teasing me at the Y, you wear a uniform, people have seen you at work talking to me about files we had in common."

"So there's not really anything to all this shit about how you're my hei-"

[i]The door was already open, and he looked so cute standing there bewildered. I couldn't help myself. Ignoring the fire that lanced through my bottom lip I kissed him anyway. Not too hard, but hard enough to let him know I wanted him to shut up about worrying who thought who was going out with who and why it was so important in the first place. He awkwardly closed the door behind us, and I heard the locks snap into place. I let go just when I felt his heartbeat accelerate, from where I'd placed my hand on his chest.[/i]

"Don't worry about that right now."

"If you say so."

"Kenso- I don't care what people say. If being your heina means Southsiders are going to take care of me when some shadow puppet government types try to mindfuck me then so be it."

"So they got you before they got me."

"The guy was a ghost. Same for you right?"

"Always in the shadows?"

"Yes. They put something in my purse. I haven't looked at it, but Eduardo told me I better give it to you. He went through it when his sister was cutting my eyelids for me."

[i]I held out the white sheets to him and he took them from my hands, slowly unfolding the creases. After a few minutes he spoke in the quiet tone I was beginning to realize meant he was holding himself back from violent activity.[/i]

"Eduardo knows his shit then. This is a list of the dirty politicians and cops in Otaku City. And not just names."

"Addresses?"

"Places of business. Hookers they frequent. Last night wasn't just a cholo convention like Jae said it was."

"So these people are-"

"Spooks? Cleaners? I have no fucking clue. All I know is that this is a time bomb. Poison. A problem."

[i]He dropped the papers down onto the coffee table and I shivered uncontrollably. Freaking heater was still out. I automatically looked towards the window, but the blinds were still drawn from last night.[/i]

"So what'll we do with this?"

"My guess is that they want assassins to clean up the city. But then maybe they just want blackmail."

"They want us to find out who fucked up my brother too."

"Why pick on you and me though? I mean we can't be the only honest people left in the city."

[i]I quietly began to fold the papers back into a small packet.[/i]

"Eduardo and his sister were honest. They have that whole 'honor among thieves' shit down to a science. In an honest Otaku-City, they would be respectable people, not just gang bangers."[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
[SIZE=1]This was quite an interesting dilemma. It appeared that I had a number of issues to address, the first being how to handle this list. I had a feeling the best option would actually be to talk to Gavin, but I had no way of contacting him. All I knew was that he was staying in a hotel, and I couldn't go searching all of them to find the right one.

I knew Rai would want in on this thanks to her brother somehow being caught in the middle, but I didn't like that idea. I'd already saved her once, and the Southsiders might've made it a second time - I wasn't really up for the idea of going for three. On top of that, she needed at least some time to recover from her injuries.

I shivered, and that reminded me of yet another problem. What the hell was wrong with the heat in this place? I thought landlords were supposed to keep these things running, and she certainly didn't own this apartment.

But the most pressing issue was probably the lists. I decided to compromise. I knew I wasn't going to talk Rai out of coming with me, so that was a moot issue. However, we would wait until she recovered to try anything truly crazy. If I was walking her into danger, she waas at least going to be 100% ready to take it on.

Oh, and then there was the whole issue of the kiss. Nice way to fuck with my head there. I thought there'd been some giant 'JUST FRIENDS' wall in between us, but I got the distinct impression it may have just shattered, and there was the possibility that it was all my move to climb over the rubble.

[B]"OK, here's the issue: I know what these are, but I have no idea how to handle them. Killing them off sounds good, but it'll draw suspicion too easily. Perhaps that's why the spooks who informed us haven't done it themselves.

"I know you're coming with me. No way I can get out of that while Michael's in the hospital. You've got too much riding here. But you need to recover first. I'm not going to see you dead because you weren't ready for whatever we run into, and while I'd love to be all heroic and shit and say I can protect you, I'm not that naive. Fact is, I might not be able to."

[/B]I stopped to take a breath, glancing toward the thermostat. [B]"So, we're going to get a day or two of rest. We can both afford to miss some work anyway. And we're either heading for my place, or I'm going to figure out what the hell is wrong with your fucking heating system."[/B]
[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]I crossed the hallway to my bedroom and began flinging clothes onto the bed, bundling everything up into one of my duffel bags, zipping the sides quickly, tossing in an extra pair of shoes and my bathroom kit. Then I turned and pulled everything up by the handles.[/i]

"It'll definitely have to be your place. The landlord is out of town on vacation and not picking up his messages."

"So the thermostat stays broken until...?"

"He gets back from Boca Raton. Depending on if he feels like it. But for some reason my rent checks find him just like magic."

"Figures. Asshole."

[i]He shook his head, exhibiting the same kind of finely drawn maleness that tended to appear when he was angry or thinking about something heavily. Then he took the duffel from me and slung it over one shoulder, opening the front door while slipping on his shoes. I followed him, locking the door behind us, the list in his pocket, and my cell phone in mine. While we pulled ourselves into his car, I could hear his wheels turning, probably wondering how to find my landlord and make him fix the thermostat, but maybe thinking about me. On the other hand, I wasn't so vain that I figured our kiss was occupying his every waking moment.

It could be though. That was kind of flattering. Pushing the thought out of my mind I listened to the sounds of traffic instead, the dim sound of the Mars Volta coming through the car speakers. Closing my eyes, I was just drifting off as Kenso circled the monument towards his condo when I heard an annoying chirping sound. I looked over at Kenso, who was still looking at the road but pointing at my hip. And then, through a hazy kind of delirium I remembered my cell phone.

You're a genius Rai.

Fumbling like a freshmen at prom I nearly dropped my cell phone, before flicking it open and bringing it to my ear.[/i]

"Raiha. Whose this?"

"It's Jae girl! How you been?!"

"Oh same ole same ole. How was Korea?"

"Cold. I brought you some pretty good stuff though. Where are you?"

"In Kenso's car, about to go to his condo and make wild animal love to him. We should totally meet for dinner though."

[i]I held the phone away from my ear for a few seconds while Jae expressed her emotions loud enough for us both to hear. I shot a glance over at Kenso, who was twisting his mouth very specifically, as if he was trying to hold the laughter in.[/i]

"You go girl! I knew he was right for you! I'll bring you guys something, just have him text me his address!"

"Right, yeah. Bye!"

"Okay girl talk to you soon I love you baby bye!"

[i]I shook my head and shut my phone, my ears still ringing slightly from her verbal assault. Kenso chose that precise moment to break up laughing, nearly swerving into a stop sign as he did.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]Cellular phones needed to come with a mute button, and not one so they couldn't hear you ? one where you couldn't hear them. I'm fairly certain Jae was actively attempting to deafen the two of us, though it was still pretty damned hilarious overall. Almost a shame Rai was joking, although I'm not sure Jae was.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]While I'm throwing out requests, I'd like to say that laughter should not be painful. It is, but it shouldn't be. Laughter is a happy thing, and pain should not dampen that. Laughter that you've held in is even worse. The impending stop sign cut my laughter rather short however, as it necessitated a rather heavy stomp on the brakes.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]I didn't say anything, just corrected the car and continued on to the apartment. My mind was in shambles right now. There was the now weird-relationship with Rai, the list in my pocket, the scary-as-hell shadowy guys, and Michael in the hospital. I parked the car, taking care to lock it. Leaving a car unlocked in Otaku City was a damned fine way to make sure you never saw it again. Enough people were stupid enough to do that anyway that those that did lock their cars were often bypassed just because they weren't worth the extra time (and possible glass in the rear end, if the crooks were amateurs who had to smash windows).[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]I led Rai to my apartment, taking the stairs even though I was on the 10th floor. This was my home, and to me, that meant an elevator just wasn't a good idea. Paranoid, maybe, but that's how it went. The apartment was locked and appeared secure, so I let Rai in first, locking the door behind us.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]The apartment isn't anything fabulous, but it's nothing shabby. I am lucky enough to actually have a living room and a separate bedroom, along with kitchen and bathroom, so it's not too bad. I even managed to avoid having a galley kitchen (I hated them). Mine had room for a kitchen table, not that I ever used it for anything but occasional food prep. My living room was my haven. The nice thing about being a cop in a city as corrupt as Otaku City is that no one questioned when evidence vanished. I may be a relatively clean cop, but I was by no means perfect, and all of the electronics in my living room had at one point in time been confiscated from some criminal. Which meant I had some really nice stuff.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]As for furniture, the living room was fairly scarce. A loveseat and matching recliner, along with a coffee table and end tables, that was it. The entertainment area was actually built into the wall (had to get special permission from my landlord for that), so it didn't count as furniture. My bedroom was nearly bare. Queen-size bed and a dresser. That was it. But that was all a bedroom needed. Rai would have the bed for the next couple of days. I could throw out a sleeping bag in the living room for me.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]I crash on the loveseat, pulling the list out of my pocket as I did. This was some dangerous information, and I was nearly at a loss on what to do with it. My day job couldn't do anything with the list (higher-ups were on it), but I wasn't sure my alternative methods of handling things would work either. I needed a plan, which meant I needed to think ? and thinking was difficult with a ready-made distraction in the room.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green]?[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1][B]Text Jae your address. She's gonna bring us some food.?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1]I raised an eyebrow, but shrugged my shoulders and pulled out my phone. If someone else wanted to buy me food, who was I to argue? And I figured I could trust Jae with my address. The text sent I glanced over at Rai and held up the list. I didn't really want to talk about the list, but I also didn't know how to talk about what I did want to, so the list it was.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green]?[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][SIZE=1][B]You got any ideas for this thing? I'm fresh out.?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]I leaned back casually and put one leg up on his coffee table. Rubbing my forehead I reached for the list and unfolded it all the way.[/i]

"Got a pen and paper?"

"Yeah sure. Hang on."

[i]I heard him rummaging in the kitchen draws and leaned over while surveying the list of numbers and names. They just kept going on.[/i]

"Phone book too!"

"You actually think you'll find these people listed?"

"Can't hurt to check. Besides, this feels enough like work. I know what I'm doing."

[i]I began to cross reference the list to the phone book, circling names when I ran into them. Thumbing through the business section, I wrote down yet another name, then looked back at Kenso briefly.[/i]

"You know I even thought about taking this list into work. But they'd catch me."

"I'd do the same, but it wouldn't work for very long."

[i]We sighed and I put down the pen for a moment and flicked to the advert section. I stopped once I reached the take out pages.[/i]

"She said dinner, but it's only 12. Feel like burritos?"

"Fuck yes."

[i]Dialing the La Pinata Guzman number, I leaned back, waiting for the oversized chicken, pork, and carne asada burritos to arrive. Kenso turned on the tv and began flicking through the channels while I kept up with the list. He paused on the local station, giving news on...something, there was the mayor giving a speech of some kind, even though campaigning wouldn't officially start for another month.[/i]

"God he says so little and yet so much doesn't he."

"No kidding."

[i]I rolled my eyes, then looked back down at my list. I now had addresses for about twenty of the names. Kenso looked down at the names and businesses.[/i]

"Some of these I recognize from a list of shell companies I saw at work."

"Super. So they're dead ends anyway."

"Not necessarily. If you make me a copy I'll take it into work and just use it on someone else's computer for a few minutes, then switch to the next one. I don't want you doing it."

"It's the same database anyway."

[i]I groaned a little, then looked back over at the clock. Food in three...two... A knock at the door and I was up, pulling a twenty from my purse. I opened the door and saw a familiar face grinning at me. Eduardo winked.[/i]

"Ey, you're lookin' way better than you were."

"Thank your sister for me eh?"

"No problem."

[i]I handed him the twenty and he passed over the paper bag full of burritos that would surely send me into a food coma to end all food comas. Eduardo was about to go when I saw Kenso stand up behind me and walk over to the door.[/i]

"Chu got a minute?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

[i]I went to the kitchen while Kenso drew Eduardo in the door a ways, and quietly showed him a partial list that I'd been working on.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]