OtakuBoards

The Battle Between Manga and Anime (Anime Side)

Nomurah!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]This will end the battle between Manga, and Anime. Most of us like both. But we can't lie. We prefer one over the other. But which is it? In this epic battle, I think we will finally get the answer. On the anime thread for the battle, you will post what you like about Anime, that manga doesn't have.

For example:

I vote for Anime, because it's of course, animated. And it streams with colour, instead of being black-and-white. While I do enjoy manga, I'd have to say that I get a much more enjoyable experience from the Anime, rather the manga. I can see all the action as it is happening, instead of getting confused by some parts because the drawing is awkward, or something that may occur in a manga.

Vote.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'll side with either, depending on what you mean.

If the anime came first, usually I'll prefer the anime version because that is where the story originated and it will probably make more sense in that medium. If the manga came first, I'll usually prefer the manga for the same reason, along with the fact that the anime is bound to eventually be bogged down by stupid and pointless fillers in order to allow the manga to stay ahead in the story.

I'll still watch or read the other, though, since I enjoy the story. Also, the music in the anime version can be pretty awesome.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]This will end the battle between Manga, and Anime. Most of us like both. But we can't lie. We prefer one over the other. But which is it? In this epic battle, I think we will finally get the answer. On the anime thread for the battle, you will post what you like about Anime, that manga doesn't have. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]What battle? If we are getting into what one prefers, to be frank its neither anime nor manga but full length movies and novels. You know, books that have no pretty pictures to tell the story, but I digress.

I do tend to watch more anime than I do manga because to be blunt, manga, unless it's to clarify the story or because it was radically altered, is very stale to read. No visualization, no music, voices or movement. And what makes it worse, no real reading comprehension required. Nothing against manga, I just prefer my reading to have more too it. So in the end, I watch more anime than I ever read manga.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I like them both equally for different reasons.

What anime has over manga is that
-Anime is generally cheaper(box sets>10 bucks per volume and there is 20 volumes...)
-Anime usually portrays events on a clear fashion and you don;t get confused because of poorly thought out panels
-Anime has sound,color, and voices...(most of the time for each)

What manga has over anime is that
-Portability(you can read it wherever you want)
-It's a bit easier to keep your place(you don;t have to rewind and skip around just use a bookmark).
-Your imagination makes up what the colors,sounds and voices are.

That's my stance on the whole thing. Oh and

[QUOTE] no real reading comprehension required. [/QUOTE]
That depends their is some wordy manga out there but in general I guess that is true.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Hm, while I like both, it's a bit hard to choose which one I like more. Each one has an up on the other.

For instance, the artwork. You don't have to worry about inconsistent artwork in a manga, whereas, in an anime you have to deal with it almost every other episode. (depending on the company)

Now, I've only read like 4-5 mangas, (online, of course) so, "shrugs"

I do, however, prefer to see majority of my fights (gunfights in particular) in motion and in color, but the black and white don't really affect me in manga's. In some instances, black and white panels tends to look better than the colored pictures themselves. "CoughsBleachCoughs".

And then there are some instances where the manga is just better than the anime. (Bleach... so many disappointments lol... As well as Naruto.) Another thing you wouldn't have to worry about in manga's are annoying voices..

So, like almost every other debatable topic (dubs vs subs), it's a preference call.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]And what makes it worse, no real reading comprehension required. Nothing against manga, I just prefer my reading to have more too it. So in the end, I watch more anime than I ever read manga.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]This is a big turn off to me as well. Unless the story is engaging or the artwork really pretty, manga just isn't where it's at in my opinion. I do enjoy it, but I can honestly say I haven't even read any this year since I only follow a select few series.

Now as for anime, most of the time I prefer it, especially for action sequences. Action is just all that much sweeter if it's you know... in motion. So for stuff like Bleach or Naruto, manga is a turn off since I'd rather see those moves in motion instead of on a flat piece of paper.

Stories like say Fruits Basket can go either way since the lack of action makes it more appealing for both formats. Overall, considering that I watch far more anime than I ever read manga, I'd have to go with the statement that most of the time I prefer anime. And yes it depends on the series, naturally. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Aceburner']I'll side with either, depending on what you mean.

If the anime came first, usually I'll prefer the anime version because that is where the story originated and it will probably make more sense in that medium. If the manga came first, I'll usually prefer the manga for the same reason, along with the fact that the anime is bound to eventually be bogged down by stupid and pointless fillers in order to allow the manga to stay ahead in the story.

I'll still watch or read the other, though, since I enjoy the story. Also, the music in the anime version can be pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

c'mon!:animeangr first of all, i don't like the anime, period. i agree with your opinion, however, except for the fact that i have a question. have you ever read the manga then watched the anime? and the music in the anime version, i hate as well. period.
and, although this is off topic, why do you have a man hitting his head on a computer as your avatar? i think it's cool, just wondering:animeswea

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]This is a big turn off to me as well. Unless the story is engaging or the artwork really pretty, manga just isn't where it's at in my opinion. I do enjoy it, but I can honestly say I haven't even read any this year since I only follow a select few series.

Now as for anime, most of the time I prefer it, especially for action sequences. Action is just all that much sweeter if it's you know... in motion. So for stuff like Bleach or Naruto, manga is a turn off since I'd rather see those moves in motion instead of on a flat piece of paper.

Stories like say Fruits Basket can go either way since the lack of action makes it more appealing for both formats. Overall, considering that I watch far more anime than I ever read manga, I'd have to go with the statement that most of the time I prefer anime. And yes it depends on the series, naturally. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I agree, take Death Note for instance. Death Note is not a action based manga but more of a psycological supernatural thriller, and I think that the manga has much more of an impact. The last volume captures lights emotions in a way anime can't. I just feel the intensity more with something like Death Note. But for a story like Bleach I would prefer the anime because action+sounds=win (not that the manga is bad).

But besides what I just said i would like to give my dumb reply:

[B]Whoa, Mann:[/B] Hey Godot

[B]Godot:[/B] What?

[B]Whoa, Mann:[/B] what do you like better anime or manga?

[B]Godot:[/B] /headexplode

[B]Whoa, Mann:[/B] ...

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Now as for anime, most of the time I prefer it, especially for action sequences. Action is just all that much sweeter if it's you know... in motion. So for stuff like Bleach or Naruto, manga is a turn off since I'd rather see those moves in motion instead of on a flat piece of paper.

Stories like say Fruits Basket can go either way since the lack of action makes it more appealing for both formats. Overall, considering that I watch far more anime than I ever read manga, I'd have to go with the statement that most of the time I prefer anime. And yes it depends on the series, naturally. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]That's how I see it, action better in anime format, more story/character development can go both ways.

I tried reading some Naruto manga and the lack of animation was a turn off. I just prefer that kind of stuff to be animated. But stuff like Fruits Basket and Case Closed, I like both. Yes the animation is nice, but at the same time both of them are enjoyable to either watch/read.

And yes in the end, unless I really like a show... I prefer the anime. Though there are exceptions to that, heavily edited stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh... I can't stand the anime but really like the manga.

[quote name='CrimsonKnight']c'mon!:animeangr first of all, i don't like the anime, period. i agree with your opinion, however, except for the fact that i have a question. have you ever read the manga then watched the anime? and the music in the anime version, i hate as well. period.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, actually. I do it all the time. I'm about halfway through the Fullmetal Alchemist anime and up to date on the manga. I prefer the manga storyline, but I also think the anime version is interesting because it provides a look at how multiple people had envisioned the story. I also do this with One Piece because I like the music (though that's a matter of personal preference) and the fights are awesome animated.

[quote name='CrimsonKnight']and, although this is off topic, why do you have a man hitting his head on a computer as your avatar? i think it's cool, just wondering:animeswea[/QUOTE]

That's Manfred von Karma. I don't really want to spoil the story too much, but he's from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, which is a video game for the Nintendo DS. In the actual game, he bangs his head against a wall. It's a good game. You should give it a try if you ever get the chance.;)

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]It depends on the show/story in question. Like some have mentioned, action is definitely better in an animated form where stuff that is more character driven in that there really is no action, I'm fine either way. Plus if it's a show I really like, it's fun to read/watch both to see the differences. Though that can backfire in that sometimes they leave a lot out in the anime so you end up disappointed. But at the same time... if you see the anime first, then it's fun to see even more. There are the exceptions of course, manga that is just about nothing but action is something I find very boring to read.

Also, can't leave out those shows that were just mutilated, Yu-Gi-Oh is definitely a good example. Ironically the anime is what got me started on manga to begin with. I just couldn't imagine it was[I] that [/I]stupid, so I bought the first couple of mangas out of curiosity. Best out of nowhere purchase I ever made. :catgirl:

Now overall... I do tend to favor anime since I like seeing it in action and I enjoy the voices and music, etc. Especially since horrible editing isn't as bad as it use to be. I think the fact that I easily have several hundred DVD's compared to say about sixty manga's is more than enough evidence that I prefer the anime format. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Hmm....You make a good point.
For myself honestly, it really depends on the series at hand. On the one hand, anime is amazing because you get to hear voices, see the characters move--sometimes you can even have a slightly different story or events, the art can be better even you even can have other story arcs. ( not all added on story arcs are good granted....)
Manga on the other, in my experience, generally manga tends to have more character development. ( not all of course, I know MANY anime/manga such as Meitantei Konan where the anime has more character development) Also manga is better to see the art progress, you see the story unfold knowing that not EVERYTHING was pre-meditated--it's really great, especially if you're like myself and like comics/manga and are working on a manga of your own, you can get ideas for paneling, how to portray certain emotions and scenes with various angles and limited space.
So for myself, although on a general level it REALLY depends, I guess I would have to say I prefer manga. You can get more for your buck generally--considering most seem to get their anime for around $100+ a boxset--unless you download or know good websites. And the manga has many things like stated above that in my opinion make manga just a little more rewarding. And if nothing else, they're portable! You can take them anywhere and you can read them anytime! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I vote Anime because i love the action, colors, and sound effects. There was a point when i had read so much manga that if a bomb exploded i was convinced we would all hear the word BOOOOOOOM! However, some of the dub voices and even regular Japanese voices are annoying, and if the show started as a manga i hate all the fillers and mess ups as they convert said text into said t.v show.
Somthing must be lost in translation from picture to video.
Lastly at some parts anime can have really crappy angles and drawings to the point if you had a screen shot you'd cock an eyebrow and wonder what the heck happened. While manga is usually always a great drawing becuase every panel is like a screen shot, it has to be good becuase you see every bit of action, unlike anime which can be fudged becuase of the moving and fast paced fighting.
But, getting off my soap box, I still vote anime as my favorite.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I think that I would have to go with manga. I mean anime is great and all but there are more things in the manga than there are in the anime. On the plus side, manga does have a way of not having fillers. Like Fruits Basket for instace. The anime is great but they totally forget two of the zodiac and the whole plot is a lot different than the one in the manga. In the manga Tohru seems like she's more dense than in the anime. I guess I don't see the romance in the anime than I do in the manga.

There are also a lot of anime that are made while the manga series is still going which leads to a lot of fillers and sometimes a different ending. Like CardCaptor Sakura. Manga mostly clears up the gap and all of the questions that we ask in the anime.

I do have to admit that I read a lot more manga than anime since I think that watching T.V. is a complete waste of time for a girl like me. Though there are some anime that are better than the manga like BLEACH. I mean you can't beat the awesome sound affects, quirks and funny moments that would be just confusing in the manga. So basically my vote goes to manga since clear plots and awesome stories rock!!! [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Bloody Rose'][COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Though there are some anime that are better than the manga like BLEACH. I mean you can't beat the awesome sound affects, quirks and funny moments that would be just confusing in the manga. So basically my vote goes to manga since clear plots and awesome stories rock!!! [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]You think so? I'm indifferent about the anime being funnier than the manga. But then again, I suppose it comes from reading the manga first. No doubt, there are some funny moments in the anime, but once after reading the manga, the anime version's comedic moments are watered down IMO. For instance, Urahara training Ichigo. I couldn't hold in my laughter during that (those) whole chapter(s), but seeing it in anime form, I didn't laugh at it much.

I could go on and on about Bleach (manga or anime), but I don't want to turn this into a 3rd Bleach thread. ^^[/SIZE][/COLOR]

This is no battle for me at all as I am not heavily into anime and never read manga at all. I'm sure it's probably good and all that, I simply have no interest in it. I've never been a fan of what is considered a form of comics, other than stuff like say Charlie Brown or Calvin and Hobbes. Simple single panels that you read in the Sunday paper and so forth.

I know it's not the same, it's just that I have never had a huge interest in that format period, no matter how detailed the story is. I have always preferred watching it animated vs reading it on paper. I did look at a few manga's out of curiosity when given the chance but I still did not care for it.