OtakuBoards

Battle Games vs. Adventure Games

Lunar

[COLOR="Red"] Before I get on this topic, is Tekken an anime video game or Mortal Kombat? It's kinda hard to figure out.

Since everyone has their own opinion, which video games are better? Battle Games, Fighting Games, Adventure Games, Gameshow games, or any other games?[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"] I like Battle and Fighting games. My favorites? Mortal Kombat, Tekken 5- any new ones.:animesmil[/COLOR]
:animesigh

I enjoy every type of game out there. Except racing, just can't get into them.

I'm really into RPG games more than anything. Not sure which of the categories you've named they'd fall into. I guess I could be more specific and say final fantasy style. Turn based, magic, monsters, beautiful girls to rescue.

I have really been hooked on battle games recentally. COD 4, Frontlines, R62LV. Are all titles I've played religioulsly the past few months.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Man, who says we can't just get along? Sarcasm is a lost art these days. :animesigh

As for me, I love fighting games. I play mostly Vampire Savior, Tekken 5: Dark Resurection, Street Fighter:3rd Strike and many others. I find the one on one nature of fighters very intimate and it brings out some of the best thinking in people, unless you just mash buttons...lol.

I don't mind Adventure games, but I get bored more often than not. A game really has to capture my attention for me to stay interested in it. One of my personal favorite "Adventure games" was Xenosaga Episode 1: Dur Wille Zur Macht. The story was long, but it was very intriguing. I was hooked on it for a long time.

Mortal Kombat<<<<<<<

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Man, who says we can't just get along? Sarcasm is a lost art these days. :animesigh[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oh, it's not lost, it's just hard to convey through text on the internet.:p

Anyway, I'm mostly an adventure/action gamer myself. I also play a fair amount of RPGs and dabble in Fighting games. Mostly just Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur, though.

[COLOR="Red"]KOREY, YOU HAVE TEKKEN 5 *ahem* give me a minute to compose myself..........okay *sigh* you have tekken 5: dark ressurection? i have been wanting the game forever. tell me. can hwoarang fight???? he's my fav character:animesmil as for adventure games, i like them, except if my character dies to many times, i don't play it for a while. stupid mark of kri:animeangr[/COLOR]

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]KOREY, YOU HAVE TEKKEN 5 *ahem* give me a minute to compose myself..........okay *sigh* you have tekken 5: dark ressurection? i have been wanting the game forever. tell me. can hwoarang fight???? he's my fav character:animesmil as for adventure games, i like them, except if my character dies to many times, i don't play it for a while. stupid mark of kri:animeangr[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I have both games. T5DR for my PSP and T5 for the PS2. Hworang can do pretty decent in that game, but he's not the best character in the game as far as the game's mechanics go. I'd say that Heihachi and Devil Jin are the best characters. My personal favorite is Bryan Fury.

By adventure games, I'm assuming you mean platformers or something like that. 3D action games. I like those ok, but by far the best game for that is Rachet and Clank. Those games are funny and don't take themselves too seriously, but you can have some pretty intense sessions later on in the game...or if you play multiplayer ;)[/FONT]

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"] you like final fantasy? what about mortal kombat????:confused:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I used to like the mortal kombat games. I played 1-3 reigiously. I toyed with Deception and Armagedeon a little bit. But was never hooked the way the first three got me.

As far as fighting games, the Smackdown VS. Raw series is my personal fav. though the 2008 addition was a joke.

I actually like puzzle games more than anything else. I loved Ico, played it several times. I wasn't a big fan of the ending though... Not the point. Anyway I like adventure games more, but I'll play fighting games. The best game of all time though is definately Darkstalkers. I loved the fighting style and characters. Between Mortal COmbat or Streetfighters I'll go with Streetfighters. I didn't like the tough combinations and complicated specials of Mortal Combat, where it takes expert knowledge just to play. In Streetfighters it was easier to start playing, and when you eventually learned the secret moves they weren't hard to remember again. As with fighting games Darkstalkers win, followed by Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

I also like war reinactment games like Call of Duty. I just like how they characterize these famous events, because it teaches someone like me who hates history more about it than any class has. Whenever a game puts facts and uses real-life situations for a game, making it realistic as possible, I fall in love with the game. War reinactment shooters are the only ones I've seen though.

@\/ Also I find it really enjoyable to point out thier mistakes.

Be carefull with allowing the war reinactment games to "teach" you anything about history. There are several flaws in them, and alot of them are fudged to say the least. Of course the main outlines are still the same, WWII still ends the same. Your best bet is to get online and do some research about the specific reinactments. The medal of honor is nortorious for pushing "real life events" as truth when they're more show than anything.

Also, I totally agree with the Street Fighter Vs. MK. That's where the MK series went wrong when it strayed from the old school way. Now you have weapons and a hundred different fighting styles to master....for ONE character. Its crazy.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I also think it's because Street Fighter has a massive competitive scene. People travel all over the world for tournaments for Street Fighter games, including the very first game! That's staying power. Also, Street Fighter IV is on the way, so SF fans are looking forward/ dreading it's release. It's been a while since a SF game has been made (about 1999, wow!), so I'd say we're long overdo for a new one. Only time will tell how this game is gonna be though....[/FONT]

[COLOR="Red"]Hmm. I have to say I have never played Streetfighter, unfortuantly. (disregard my horrible spelling), and, it takes true talent to master all the special moves of the characters of MK. scratch that. it takes true talent to master all the special moves of [I]one[/I] character. i'm not really into games like call of duty just because history isn't my favorite subject. and i agree with drizzt (or was it korey) [I]do not[/I] get learn about history wars from video games. [I]very[/I] misleading.[/COLOR]

Sorry about that; I guess I phrased it wrong. I meant to put I like them because they get me interested in history like nothing else can, so thus teaches me that history isn't so bad. Also I like how facts are mixed in and pointing out mistakes I research, so it's better than nothing.

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]Hmm. I have to say I have never played Streetfighter, unfortuantly. (disregard my horrible spelling), and, it takes true talent to master all the special moves of the characters of MK. scratch that. it takes true talent to master all the special moves of [I]one[/I] character. i'm not really into games like call of duty just because history isn't my favorite subject. and i agree with drizzt (or was it korey) [I]do not[/I] get learn about history wars from video games. [I]very[/I] misleading.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Well...I wouldn't say it's talent to master the special moves, more like just memorization. Like for Ryu in Street Fighter, I know how to throw fireballs, how to do his special uppercut and how to do his spinning kick (I know the official names of these, just trying to describe them) . It's not really talent that helped me, but just knowing what the motions are and memorizing them. I think it would take more talent to memorize things like, what move beats what, which moves are the safest, how to play defensively, how to lock an opponent down. All the best players in the world worry about this more than just special moves.

I don't learn history from games either...those games are often very skewed in their views and provide what it MAY have been like in those times. They are providing a simulation, not a re-enacment. Granted, some of CoD's missions are based on combat situations. [/FONT]

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]Back then, (SNES, PS days) I used to be a fighting game nut. (Street Fighter nut) I didn't give other genres a chance simply because I didn't think none of them suit my taste, and I happened to be competitive about it. (I'm no where near competitive now. I'm all about relaxing and just playing games... to a degree.) I used to play Mortal Kombat. I had MK1-4 (and wanted to trash 4) I officially stopped playing after 4 though because everything was rundown. I liked the combo's in 3 (painfully hard to remember) and all, but doing fatalities was becoming more and more pointless. (Part of the reason why I won't attempt to play the newer MK's) I think I would always be a SF's and a KoF's fan. I'm also a fan of the Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter series as well. Tekken got tiresome after TTT, and Soul Calibur got tiresome after 1. (I can say the same about the others.. but "shrugs")

Now I'm more into action/adventure games such as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. (Rachet and Clank type games don't do anything for me. So I just stay away from those.) While it's true, once those games are finished, they get boring, but the same can be said about fighting games. Especially when you've beaten them dozens of times, and have only one controller.. "coughs" Even then, I'm more into single player type games (now) anyway. I also tend to stay away from games like Grand Theft Auto.. For some reason I just don't like them even though I've never played them.

RPG's have been added to my list as well. Although, I'm fairly picky about them. There used to be a time (during my Fighting game only era) where I would never play a RPG until I came across Final Fantasy 8. With that being said though, I only play FF7 and 8 out of the entire series. (I've been becoming fond of Action RPG's too.)Depending on the look of the game, I wouldn't (won't) even bother with some of them, especially if everything looks really kiddy. Don't be alarmed btw. I play these for entirely different reasons than everyone else.

What else...

FPS I play on sometimes. The only ones I've ever played was Halo 1 & 2. Goldeneye007 and Perfect Dark. And I'm satisfied with just playing those. Outside of Halo 3 and Gears of War, nothing else really became interesting to me.

What would the Metal Gear Solid series be categorized as? I know people call it a tactical espionage, but would that be action or adventure?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Phenom'][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]While it's true, once those games are finished, they get boring, but the same can be said about fighting games[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I have to disagree on that one Phenom. Fighting games do get boring when you beat them in the single player mode, but I think when you have adequate competition in your local area, the games never get old. I play fighters online now and the never ending competition keeps me on edge and really can help most people see things or do thing that they never thought was possible before on a fighter. So I think fighting games have almost virtually inifinite replayablility. [/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]Since everyone has their own opinion, which video games are better? Battle Games, Fighting Games, Adventure Games, Gameshow games, or any other games?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]I can't really say one is better since it's so dependent on what one actually likes to play. I could say that Adventure/RPG games are the best, but that's only based on what I prefer since I find Battle/Fighting/Racing games boring.

So sure I think Adventure/RPG games are the best, but again, that's what I like to play. I'd rather not go into why since that's kind of pointless really.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]OK! I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IN THE HECK AN RPG GAME IS???? THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING AND ALL THE THINGS THAT GIVE ME HEADACHES.:animeangr:animecry::animedepr:animesmil *sighs* so many feelings at so many times. i have issues.:animedepr

p.s. rage, you're in detroit? hey, i was born there!!! =) sorry, checked out your profile. not nosy this time! just .... curious, i guess[/COLOR]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I have to disagree on that one Phenom. Fighting games do get boring when you beat them in the single player mode, but I think when you have adequate competition in your local area, the games never get old. I play fighters online now and the never ending competition keeps me on edge and really can help most people see things or do thing that they never thought was possible before on a fighter. So I think fighting games have almost virtually inifinite replayablility. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]That's true, too. But as I've stated, I've became a lot less competitive and prefer single player based games now. I stay away from playing online because at any given chance, I will cheat, and I don't want to go through the complaints :). There are still a few fighting games out there that I would attempt to play, but at this moment I just don't find this new stuff interesting.

@ Crimson Knight. RPG = Role Playing Game.... Final Fantasy.

At first I didn't know who you're were talking about. (Rage... I need to change that) Born, raised and still living in Detroit. And as a future reference. PM is the key. Just so there won't be any form of topic changing.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="Red"]Sorry, i said rage instead of venom. my bad. born in detroit, lived there for a year and then moved.:animesweahe he he i feel like an idiot. rpg=role playing game how obvious.:animesmil:animedepr[/COLOR]

[quote name='Phenom'][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]That's true, too. But as I've stated, I've became a lot less competitive and prefer single player based games now. I stay away from playing online because at any given chance, I will cheat, and I don't want to go through the complaints :). There are still a few fighting games out there that I would attempt to play, but at this moment I just don't find this new stuff interesting.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Haha I don't think it's hard to cheat online, but good players won't play people who "cheat" (lag the game on purpose, disconnect before losses [which plagues XBL but not the program I play on], harass other players). I love older fighting games more so than the newer stuff, especially anything made from 92-98 (street fighter 2, Vampire Savior, Tekken 3...etc) I like playing the newer stuff too, but not as much as the oldies. :D[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I can't really say one is better since it's so dependent on what one actually likes to play. I could say that Adventure/RPG games are the best, but that's only based on what I prefer since I find Battle/Fighting/Racing games boring.

So sure I think Adventure/RPG games are the best, but again, that's what I like to play. I'd rather not go into why since that's kind of pointless really.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]QFT

Battle, fighting and racing games bore me to no end. I'm not interested in unlocking moves or tracks for racing. I'm picky about what Adventure or RPG games I'll play though. Take Final Fantasy, some of them certainly don't live up to what I expect in a game. Like FF XII, any game that requires six plus hours for about five minutes of actual story is a dud in my opinion.

Also CrimsonKnight the next time you don't know what something is, just use google to look it up. Or use Wiki [[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game"][U]RPG[/U][/URL]] since often it will at least give you the general idea. [/COLOR]