OtakuBoards

HELP. First Jobs.

Claire

[FONT="Arial"]So I am panicking right now.

I was already worried about performing tonight, getting all the little details worked out and making sure I'm ready.

Then I got a phone call from Boston Market. They want me to come in today for an interview.

I feel like collapsing.

So, right now I need help, more than anything. I've NEVER EVER EVER been to a job interview before, so I have no idea what it's like or what's expected of me.

The guy said "before five o'clock." Does that mean anytime between then and now or should I go closer to five?

I don't know what I'm going to wear, or how I'm going to fit this into my schedule today, or if I can even remain sane/calm during the actual interview.

Does anyone have any tips or words of encouragement? :[[[[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Bring your resume with you, dress super nice, be kind, keep your eyes on the interviewer, [b]don't be late[/b], have a good firm handshake and a sense of humor helps.

He said before 5 so I would try to be there for 4:30. There's nothing wrong with being there early.

And remain calm! It's not an interrogation. Just a simple interview to see what you're like.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Given that this is Boston Market, the "interview" will more than likely be a really informal affair. Doesn't mean you can just treat it cavalierly?which doesn't seem likely to become an issue for you (^_^)?but I think you can relax a whole lot more than you seem to be.

So first, be kinda early. Since they said "before five", that means any time before that is good, and I might even consider dropping by about three, depending on how your scheduling goes.

Once you get the time set in your head (and probably on paper, so you'll remember better), make sure to look nice. Nothing corporate (obviously), but nothing shabby either. I have done interviews in blue jeans before, but only in the pair that looks the absolute best, with no holes or (visible) frays or stained/weathered patches. I'd advise against sneakers; respectable closed-toe shoes are probably your best bet. A good-looking blouse and nice slacks would work well, or some such combination. Think the borderline between formal and casual, but not necessarily the "Sunday Best" side.

When you go in, relax and be real. A slight air of deference is never detrimental, and as long as you remain openly interested in them, they'll probably remain interested in you.

And [I]don't rush[/I]. Take your time speaking, so they know you thought about your words and aren't easily panicked. Take your time doing whatever paperwork they toss at you; reading everything is a good idea. And take your time listening.

And yeah, have a sense of humor. Drop a sympathetic quip or two if something goes odd for them. Nothing like "two guys walk into a bar", but more innocuous, casual humor that shows them you're a real person.

Best of luck. (^_^)[/FONT]

[color=crimson]Yeah, with restaurants or fast food they appreciate someone showing up in between the rushes.

With everything else people have said, remember that, even for restaurants, the interviewer will probably throw in a question to probe your personality or to see how you respond. I've gotten ****** questions like "Can you name the last time you felt really stressful and then tell me how you reacted to the situation" or, one time, an interviewer asked me what my favorite color was and why. Professionals would suggest you "sell yourself" or somehow tie a skill or positive aspect of yourself into it, but it's hard to do without sounding forced or cheesy.[/color]

[FONT="Arial"]That was...interesting.

I went in around 10 minutes to two and I sat there for quite a while. It turns out they have a new manager and he's trying to get visuals of people who applied in case he needs to bring someone else in quickly.

I just wore dark jeans and my Beta Club t-shirt (dressed to impress!). The manager didn't ask too many questions, and he focused more on my availability than anything else. He asked how far away I lived, if I drove, where I went to school and if I did any extracurricular activities, etc.

The actual "interview" only took about six minutes. It was a good experience, at least.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]I didn't get a chance to read any of the thread before I left, so it wouldn't have done me any good. :P

Besides, I don't own any non-denim bottoms. Other than sweatpants. So I went with the lesser of two evils.[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]
Besides, I don't own any non-denim bottoms. Other than sweatpants. So I went with the lesser of two evils.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]When you get a job most likely the power of CHRIST will compel you to buy slacks. Black Dickies or Dockers, and Chinos. Tan, taupe, etc. You'll need these. Always.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms] Well, if she's working at Boston Market she'll most likely just have to wear their standard uniform, which I believe in their company shirt and khakis or something. More formal restaurants=slacks.

But you'll have to get restaurant shoes, which are usually hideous.[/font]