OtakuBoards

Naruto Fansubs in danger?

daldaren

Howdy!

So, I just found out (kind of late) that DB has 'permanently' 'dropped' the Naruto Shippuden project completely. They 'hint hinted' that the reason behind this was the continued upload of their work to streaming video sites, which increases the pressure on them as a fansubbing group in keeping themselves safe from legal trouble.

My question is: without linking anything that could get someone in trouble, is anyone aware of any other groups which currently fansub Naruto Shippuden in high quality? Hints or PMs are welcome, but if possible I'd prefer this to stay as an open discussion. With this and the late 07 incident, DB has some fairly shaky and temper mental credibility in current projects and future endeavors, which makes me question: if not DB, who?

I don't feel it's my place to link to their news section of the site, so if you're curious and you know what I'm talking about, go check it out. If you're completely lost, PM or don't bother worrying. :)

Edit:

To mention this for anyone unfamiliar with DB's practices - they often say such things on weeks that a new Naruto is not airing to panic the fans into thinking their Naruto is gone. However, next new episode is posted the date that it airs like nothing has happened. The point of this thread isn't to go "OH NO NO DB" but more to say "they aren't worth this back-and-fourth, who else shall we look to?".

[SIZE="1"]In answer to the OP's question about other fan-groups who sub Naruto Shippuden, I'm afraid I don't know of any off the top of my head, although I imagine someone will fill the void Dattebayo leaves if they choose to do so, though this threat has been out there quite a while at this point so I'm not wholly convinced either.

Personally with Bleach and Naruto in filler-hell at the moment, DB could stop subbing and it wouldn't bother me one bit, plus for those of us who can't use torrents for various reasons, streaming sites are the only way we can watch the eps.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]Personally with Bleach and Naruto in filler-hell at the moment, DB could stop subbing and it wouldn't bother me one bit, plus for those of us who can't use torrents for various reasons, streaming sites are the only way we can watch the eps.[/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=#503f86]Or you could, you know, wait for the official, licensed episodes to be released like I've resigned myself to doing because I don't like illegal downloads or watching anime on the computer, especially via streaming sites. Or buy the Japanese DVDs if you're incredibly desperate. The manga comes out often enough for me to get the canon story fix.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503f86]Or you could, you know, wait for the official, licensed episodes to be released like I've resigned myself to doing because I don't like illegal downloads or watching anime on the computer, especially via streaming sites. Or buy the Japanese DVDs if you're incredibly desperate. The manga comes out often enough for me to get the canon story fix.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I suppose I could Hugo, but if I was to wait for the episodes to be released on the basis watching them fan-subbed is unlicensed/illegal, I might as well stop reading fan-translations of the manga as well for the same reason.

Besides, this goes beyond the scope of what the OP was asking, I simply gave an opinion on the current seasons of Bleach and Naruto, Dattebayo's biggest series based on their threat to stop fan-subbing.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#6d527f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]As far as DB goes, I'm 95% sure that this is nothing more than an elaborate troll to either: A. excessive their power to make a good portion of the Naruto fanbase rise up and do what it is they want or B, laugh as they see thousands upon thousands of Naruto fans plead to them to resume subbing. Its DB, its just what they do.

And even if this is real, you have nothing much to worry about. You really don't see many other fansub groups doing this partially because DB usually gets theirs out about 9 hours ( or less, I don't really know) after release and nobody bothers to really compete with them. If they really do throw in the towel, it'd take but a second for other groups to jump onto the opportunity. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503f86]Or you could, you know, wait for the official, licensed episodes to be released like I've resigned myself to doing because I don't like illegal downloads or watching anime on the computer, especially via streaming sites. Or buy the Japanese DVDs if you're incredibly desperate. The manga comes out often enough for me to get the canon story fix.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

While true, I find this post drifting slightly Off-topic. I was asking for opinions on alternative fansubbing groups. :)

The problem is, I'm a very impatient person. I want to see them asap, and I don't feel like waiting for Cartoon Network to get their hands on them and roll them out one at a time from the beginning one episode a week.

[color=#4B0082]AniDB is like the Wikipedia of fansubs. If there are other groups subbing it, they'll be listed there.

But I also have a feeling this is another troll/scare tactic by DB. Not that I much care, since I don't watch Naruto and I get Bleach from another group now.[/color]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]I suppose I could Hugo, but if I was to wait for the episodes to be released on the basis watching them fan-subbed is unlicensed/illegal, I might as well stop reading fan-translations of the manga as well for the same reason.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Besides, this goes beyond the scope of what the OP was asking, I simply gave an opinion on the current seasons of Bleach and Naruto, Dattebayo's biggest series based on their threat to stop fan-subbing.[/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=#503f86]This is true. I didn't mean to sound unnecessarily bitchy, sorry about that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]I don't know of any other Naruto fansubbers offhand. Considering Dattebayo's widespread reputation, I'd be surprised if anyone else had tackled Naruto since. Although there was a group before them which did really good fansubs, when I used to watch them. I have a feeling they disappeared, though.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]It wouldn't surprise me if this was a troll, though. They seem to enjoy having regular hissy fits to put the wind up people. Which, considering they ask people not to distribute (which is ironically rather hypocritical of them), is probably justified.[/COLOR]

[quote name='daldaren][COLOR=#000000']The problem is, I'm a very impatient person. I want to see them asap, and I don't feel like waiting for Cartoon Network to get their hands on them and roll them out one at a time from the beginning one episode a week.[/COLOR][/quote][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#503f86]Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to see an entire series of something at once. But you still have to wait every week for the episodes to be released on download anyway, so how different is it, really? :P[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503F86]I feel I have to fight this corner at least a little considering I want to work in the creative industry (writing, acting, etc). I'd be livid if my work was being illegally distributed. But you have to resign yourself to knowing that it's virtually impossible to have a leak-free production line.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine']
[COLOR=#503f86]Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to see an entire series of something at once. But you still have to wait every week for the episodes to be released on download anyway, so how different is it, really? :P[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503F86]I feel I have to fight this corner at least a little considering I want to work in the creative industry (writing, acting, etc). I'd be livid if my work was being illegally distributed. But you have to resign yourself to knowing that it's virtually impossible to have a leak-free production line.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well yeah, that's true. However, it's on... episode 66? If I had to start over from the beginning just to get to 67+, it'd be a real hassle. As far as the industry goes, I 100% support *paying* for an available release (within reason). For Example, I'm purchasing the releases of Lucky Star as they come out (disk one and two so far), and plan on purchasing Ouran AND D.Gray-man when they're released.. however, I have all three already in complete fan-sub Hi-Res AVI -> DVD glory.

I wont pay for something like *all* god-knows-how-many disks of Rurouni Kenshin, but if I have some spare cash and I see a season on the shelf at a local DVD store, I'll buy it in order to help the sales of the genre.

It's a lot like music... if I find a band that I enjoy I'll go out and buy their CD's, but only after I've downloaded said CD's and seen if they're something I'd enjoy. Same thing goes for DVDs in my case; I rent many of them, but in most cases, I download them before purchasing them.

Drifted off topic, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...