OtakuBoards

$50,000 on a Necklace? Please.

Lunar

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]What idiot would spend that much on a necklace? Would you spend thousands of dollars on designer clothes , shoes, or jewerly? I wouldn't, because some designer clothes look, well, weird. Even if they were knockoffs, I wouldn't buy them. No matter how rich I'm going to be, Wal-Mart, here I come!:catgirl:[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]No. I don't buy anything "designer". I don't get into new fads either.

I get clothes from diffrent places, and $30 is the most I'll spend on a pair of jeans, which I don't buy very much anyway. I don't really buy Walmart, K-mart clothes, but thats because I don't like them. Walmart has shirts I like sometimes(I got a nice Yoshi shirt there once), but never pants.[/SIZE]

I rarely buy designer clothes. If I do buy them its out of not knowing that the clothes are designer. I shop mostly at thrift stores now a days. Easier the clothes are cheap and still in good condition. A lot of the stuff I find are brand new with other tags still on them. The only place I go overboard is when it comes to my band tee-shirts. I think thats the most expensive I buy and even then I wait until stuff is on sale. jewelry tends to be expensive sometimes because I need to find nickel free earrings. Multiple piercings also can get expensive since most of the good earrings are only sold in one pair instead of a pack.

[font=trebuchet ms] If I were a multi-millionaire celebrity, or some royal princess who lived in Dubai, or just filthy stinking rich...then yes. Yes I would send $50,000 on a necklace. Sigh. lol

But sticking to reality, it depends on what you mean by designer clothes. Some people consider stores like Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, etc. designer clothes, some only consider labels like Gucci, Prada, etc. as designer. And then there's people who think designer clothes are the small boutiques that operate mostly in NYC or LA. And there's probably more random definitions, according to other people.

I equate designer clothes with Gucci, Prada, etc. and boutiques, both of which are mad expensive. The only 'designer' pieces of clothing I've bought was my prom dress and a purse (which was Coach, if you consider that designer). A lot of designer clothes don't have a lot of range when it comes to the type of people that can wear it, and some of it just sucks (i.e. Juicy Couture, their clothing makes me kill myself), but I sort of love everything Marc Jacobs makes, as a stereotypical teenage girl.

But generally I shop at mall stores. But I guess I've just learned how to tell if a store's clothing is good quality or not. Stores like Urban Outfitters is semi-ridiculous, mediocre to average fabric quality and incredibly overpriced. I also hate Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, etc. for having the same clothes year after year with the same designs and patterns and ridiculous prices- they could at least change their designs yearly. [/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I doubt I'd spend $50K on jewellery, but then again, I wouldn't be interested enough to spend that kind of money even if I had it (on jewellery, anyway).

I've definitely spent a lot of money on clothing items in the past though (most recently, a new suit). But I figure if that's something you're interested in - and if it's something you're actually going to make good use of - then it's probably worthwhile.

I suppose it all comes down to people's preferences.[/font]

[quote name='Lunar;819381][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]What idiot would spend that much on a necklace? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]Someone who has more money than they know what to do with I would imagine. I think it depends on whether or not you even like that sort of thing. The only person I would call an idiot for doing that is someone who can't really afford it.[quote name='Lunar;819381][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Would you spend thousands of dollars on designer clothes , shoes, or jewerly? I wouldn't, because some designer clothes look, well, weird. Even if they were knockoffs[/COLOR][/QUOTE]It's not the label so much as it is finding clothing that's comfortable and for those of us who aren't rich... affordable. [QUOTE=Lunar'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"']No matter how rich I'm going to be, Wal-Mart, here I come![/COLOR][/quote]I wouldn't be so quick to say that. =P Not to knock Wal-Mart, but you never know what you're going to find if you look around.

Like James just said, sometimes you do find something that it's worth putting a little extra money into. I've done that in the past myself. Though it was for a tux for performances so I only wear it a handful of times a year.

I think it's different from men to women. My fiancee's the type of person that if she had 50K she'd buy a necklace. And I can't say I haven't went over board. I bought an Armani(sp) suit in S. Korea and a $500 dollar watch...but that's it.

So I guess I would say from that bit of splurging that I'm the type of person to go overboard. But the suit and the watch were both to add some "power" to business meetings/interview and the like.

As for walmart. Since I live at work and I have to dress "business casual" every day. I've bought my entire work wardrobe (minus the suit) at walmart. If you're not too picky you can find anything there. And as far as thirft stores, I'm hesitant about them because I'm a sort've germ-a-phobe thanks to my overly anal RN fiancee. So I don't buy from them unless the tags are still on them. (Even then I wash them a hundred time before I wear them)

[color=#9933ff][size=5][font=Curlz mt][b]Long Live Steve And Barry's[/size][/font][/b] Especially the store in my area- right now everything in the store is $8.98!

That said I think the most I've ever spent on one item of clothing is 65$ for a pair of sneakers (Addidas, white with multicolored butterflies-- I still have them) but I wear sneakers for work and for schlumping about so I can justify it. I can also justify the 2 for 89$ that Lady Footlocker has and I buy them. Also since I work long hours and have to be moving a lot I can justify those 40$ bras at Victoria's Secret.

Other than that I'm bargain hunting happy. My friends and I are actually in competition for who can find the best deals. (Marshall's/ TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Steve and Barry's Outlet shopping! I once got a 135$ Coach purse for 60$!) I go for sales all the time, or for Target, I love Target. Last month for my birthday I got a 10$ Target gift card from work and said that it was one of the best gifts ever.

Speaking of work I don't really have to worry about 'what to wear' because the shirt is already picked out for me. (lovely maroon colored number) I just have to worry about pants (I need some more flare leg khakis) and sneakers. I'm not allowed to wear excessive jewlry so the 50K necklace would definately be out the window- actually considering some of the residents it would most definately be out the window. Right now I'm just on the look out for some new sneakers- preferably ones by Addidas. Or maybe Sketchers, but I am not going to wear my Sketchers that my mom refers to as my bowling shoes to work because they're suede!

My boyfriend on the other hand is even cheaper than me, I think he'd denounce his Canadian citizenship and become an American before paying even 50$ on a pair of sneakers let alone a 50K something or other. He's been wearing the same sneakers for 3 years and only owns them, some snow boots and some work boots!

Like everyone keeps saying though I think part of your clothing expenses depend on the job you have. With me as a resident assistant at a senior living community all I have to be concerned with is comfortable footwear (and comfortable underwear) and that I'm clean and presentable. But for someone in an office job or where they have to make a lasting first impression something more upscale would be more acceptable. But it is always nice to find a bargain.[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'd have to be absurdly rich before I'd consider buying something like that. And even then, I'm not sure if I would or not. I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather use that kind of money on.

Now as for designer clothing... I'm a college student so that means I prefer to not waste what little money I have on clothing. I see no reason to pay a lot of money on stuff like that when I don't have to. We have plenty of stores around here that aren't ridiculously expensive and yet have cute clothing.

I wouldn't say someone's an idiot for buying that kind of stuff though. Well except for the ones who like Darren said, can't really afford to buy things like that. [/FONT]

[COLOR="Navy"]Rach, Wal-Mart is awesome! Thrift stores rule! Yup, I've realized I'm cheap, the horror of it all................:animedepr. I don't mean to pry, but drizzt, it's "there" not "their." still working on my correcting people, forgive me.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="Navy"]Rach, Wal-Mart is awesome! Thrift stores rule! Yup, I've realized I'm cheap, the horror of it all................:animedepr. I don't mean to pry, but drizzt, it's "there" not "their." still working on my correcting people, forgive me.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]No shame in being cheap or loving Walmart* (gotta change the style) or even thrift stores. Which reminds me I really want to check out Plato's closet which is across from Hammergirl anime. Which probably means nothing to anyone.

Also there is no shame in correcting people's spelling and grammar. I do it all the time. Why? Because I'm annoying.[/color]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="Navy"]Rach, Wal-Mart is awesome! Thrift stores rule! Yup, I've realized I'm cheap, the horror of it all................:animedepr. I don't mean to pry, but drizzt, it's "there" not "their." still working on my correcting people, forgive me.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Meh? All I'm saying is look around. I often take advantage of clearance sales since even places that charge a little more are affordable when that happens. I just find the best price for what I want and that includes more than shopping at Wal-Mart.

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I've definitely spent a lot of money on clothing items in the past though (most recently, a new suit). But I figure if that's something you're interested in - and if it's something you're actually going to make good use of - then it's probably worthwhile.

I suppose it all comes down to people's preferences.[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Basically what James said.

If you got the money and you like the necklace, for instance, why not?

My girlfriend just yesterday spent over $700 on a brand new wardrobe from Hollister Co. Was it expensive? Oh yes. But, again, as James said; '..and if It's something you're actually going to make good use of - then it's probably worthwhile.'

I mean, I mostly shop at PacSun. Granted, it's not completely over-priced but I'll spend $20 or $30 dollars for one Volcom t-shirt when someone else would just go to Wal-Mart and get something similar for $9.99.

It's all in the branding. Brands sell, after all.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]:o If someone could spend $50 000 on a necklace, they can donate some money to this poor university student!! I can barely even afford to eat. So, even if I had money to spend on stuff like that, I'd feel guilty!! I would keep thinking, I could have used this money to pay rent, or a bill. So everything I buy clothing and jewelry wise is cheap. I actually met a girl at my school who bought her jeans for about $250 dollars! They looked nice, but not that nice...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Why not? If you have more money than what you know what to do with, then I don't really see an issue with buying an expensive necklace. Though if I had that kind of money to burn, I'd use it for something other than jewelry.

Also, I tend to avoid a few of the places like Wal-Mart when it comes to clothing. Not because I don't like the place but because often what they carry doesn't fit very well. The draw back to being short and small is that some brands of clothing require altering to fit properly. Otherwise it's all baggy in the wrong places.

Net result, I'll spend more at a place like Victoria's Secret because the clothing will simply fit and I don't have to attempt to waste my time altering it. I say waste my time since I don't have a sewing machine and I was never good and hand alterations. So it's worth it to shell out a little extra to get stuff that actually fits right. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Indi'][COLOR="Indigo"]Net result, I'll spend more at a place like Victoria's Secret because the clothing will simply fit and I don't have to attempt to waste my time altering it. I say waste my time since I don't have a sewing machine and I was never good and hand alterations. So it's worth it to shell out a little extra to get stuff that actually fits right. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]*nods* I adore Victoria's Secret. I think their bras are the best ever and I will wear no others (Yes, i know you all cared about that :animeblus) I don't care that I either have to wait for those 10$ off coupons or the semi annual clearance, I love that store... and the bras.

I will wear expensive bras and cheap clothing (I have a pair of 3$ work pants from walmart*) except for sneakers because I rely on those for work.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff]I don't care that I either have to wait for those 10$ off coupons or the semi annual clearance, I love that store... [/color][/QUOTE]That's how I usually do it, pick things up on the clearance sales. Sometimes if I need something I'll pay full price, otherwise, I wait for things to be on some sort of sale. [/COLOR]