OtakuBoards

What Martial Arts Are You Into?

chibi-master

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ah, thanks for bumping this. Reminded me of this funny story from the other day.

So I totally botched a Kata right in the middle of class the other day. In front of everyone. Like, I switched to a different Kata and back halfway through.

My Sensei didn't notice.

This bodes well for my next black belt exam.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]How could your sensei possibly miss that? Lol. o_O My instructor(Sabumnim; Taekwondo being Korean) would have kicked me if I did that to a Taegeuk, literally. Lol.[/SIZE]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of martial arts diversity, wow.

I took Kung-Fu for most my life growing up, from late elementary school to senior year of high school

Recently I've been taking Brazilian JuJitsu for the last six months but I had a chest injury and have been on a leave of absence. I think BJJ is more effective than Kung Fu HOWEVER it's MUCH easier to get injured in class.

I also took Muay Thai for a month

--

There's a book I read called Meditations On Violence by an expert martial artist and police guru

Basically he says that the #1 thing you gain from studying martial arts is fitness. This is because real world fights have a LOT of variables you can never prepare for and that the natural reaction to an ambush type situation, regardless of training, is to freeze

I highly, highly recommend the book for anyone taking martial arts, it's very sobering.

• 2 weeks later...
I started taking tae kwon do as a kid, but ended up taking a very long break (6 years) from it. Just last summer I earned my black belt, and am currently close to earning my 1st degree.

I took about a year of an MMA class that included jujitsu and muay thai, and we're actually learning nunchucks and bo staff in my class right now.

I'd really love to try other styles too, but it's so hard to find much besides tae kwon do around my area. The only reason I took the others is because of on instructor at my school who's experienced in too many martial arts to count.
That and how costly it is.
x.x;