OtakuBoards

What Martial Arts Are You Into?

chibi-master

[quote name='Lunar][COLOR="RoyalBlue"']so much violence....ah, well, self defense is needed, swords always work too along with kicks and punches and noogies![/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Yes, and they're almost completely impractical, too! Totally the way to go.

There's a dojo in the college town here that offers ninjitsu classes. When I can get a job and have some money to spend, I'll be looking at starting some stuff over there, provided classes let me.

As for 'coolness', I'd go for effective and quick over cool any day. If there has to be a fight, I want to end it hard and fast and leave no room for second helpings. I hate prolonged stupidity.[/FONT]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]
There's a dojo in the college town here that offers ninjitsu classes.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

lol, I didn't know there are actually dojos that offer ninjitsu. But I'm just thinking about this in total relation to ninjas... Reading it in wikipedia, covers quite a broad range of martial arts.

I've sort've dabbled in many different martial arts. Learned the basics in a few, but have never really settled. I guess I can't find one that really...suits my tastes.

In Korea I learned some of their basic "modified" Tae-Kwon-Do. Which is amazing, I probably would have stuck with that If I could find a place nearby that would teach it. I've taken a few Muay-Thai lessons, and been through three different lessons at each "karate" dojo they have in my area.

I finally decided on taking the basics and creating my own. It'll be called Ty-O (My last name being Tyo). It's basically going to revolve around ground fighting, and kick boxing. But each move will end with either a beer bottle or pool que being smashed over someones head. (As my most recent "girl problem" ended with....and by the way. My inspiration came from my stitches, not from me grabbing anything)

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]well i do Karate and Brazillian ju-jitsu, allthough i have no belts in the latter i have been practising it for a year and a bit, it takes like four years to get your first belt, and thats only if you practice it every day, apparently...

Ohh and i also do arnis weapon fighting, although that isnt really a martial art, though i guess it has bellts and such..[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Gelgoog Pilot']I am currently a blue belt (two stripes) in Tae-kwon-do. I love it. Love my classmates, my [b]sensei[/b] is a ball buster, and the exercise that it allows you to get is a god send when you take into account that I spend most of my day at a computer at school or work.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Sensei? In Taekwondo it isn't Sensei. Sabeomnim is instructor in Korean. Sensei is a Japanese title. o_O

Ace, I'm sorry to hear about your test. What does your blackbelt test consist of?[/SIZE]

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX'][SIZE="1"]Ace, I'm sorry to hear about your test. What does your blackbelt test consist of?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
The pretest, which is where I went down, is 2 kata, 2 applications and a kicking combo.

The actual test is 10 kata, 10 applications, 10 elbow techniques (I think,) and a kicking combo. And if you do any one kata out of the order you told them you would do it, you may as well leave the building right there.

Despite all that, I'll keep trying. I'll probably make it past the pretest at least next time.[/FONT]

I haven't been into martial arts for years. The last time I was actually in a martial arts class was when I was in middle school. Shotokan or something of that nature. And I dropped it due to time and hate being punished for other folks problems. (I know, I was young back then.) I've gotten my yellow belt, and haven't been back since. I think the building might've even closed down.

Before that I was into basic karate. I don't really remember much of it, though.

I do want to get back into martial arts though. I'm just not sure which one I'd want to get back into. I've thought about Tae Kwon Do for a while, but I don't think I can keep up with that.

Capoeira was another one I've thought about, but like Tae Kwon Do, I'm not certain if I can keep up with it. But then again, spinning on your hands has been something I've always found intriguing.

And then there's that Fillipino (sp?) style, I think it's called Kali. I don't know much about it. I just know that it was being used in the Bourne series. I think I also heard that it was a mixture of Jeet Kune Do (Another style that I want to learn) and something that I can't remember.

Yeah, I've been think a lot about getting back into martial arts. Problem is, is finding places that teaches these styles.

I'm currently practicing Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryuu Iaido. It's basically quick draw sword play. Although it concentrates mainly on the form, my sensei also likes to teach the functionality, which I quite like. We do use real swords, but it's pretty safe as long as you know what you're doing. I've been practicing Iaido for two or three years now, and it's pretty fun seeing new students coming in and remembering that I used to be that clueless too. XP
The style itself has been around for nearly 450 years, which is pretty amazing.

For more info than I could ever give on the subject, go to this website: [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C5%8D_Jikiden_Eishin-ry%C5%AB][color=red][link][/color][/URL] (Yes, it's a wikipedia link, but it does give a good summary of the waza sets we perform, so I approve for now.)

[quote name='Miss Anonymous']I'm currently practicing Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryuu Iaido. It's basically quick draw sword play. Although it concentrates mainly on the form, my sensei also likes to teach the functionality, which I quite like. We do use real swords, but it's pretty safe as long as you know what you're doing. I've been practicing Iaido for two or three years now, and it's pretty fun seeing new students coming in and remembering that I used to be that clueless too. XP
The style itself has been around for nearly 450 years, which is pretty amazing.

For more info than I could ever give on the subject, go to this website: [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C5%8D_Jikiden_Eishin-ry%C5%AB][color=red][link][/color][/URL] (Yes, it's a wikipedia link, but it does give a good summary of the waza sets we perform, so I approve for now.)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Sienna"]Lucky!!!:animeangr I want to learn how to use the sword, but my mom won't let me. That's a long name. By the way, Wikipedia is the most awesomest site EVER![/COLOR]

[quote name='chibi-master']Too bad half the crap said on the site isn't accurate.

And I too would love to learn to use a sword! It'd be wonderful! I'm usually very skilled with any weapon.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Sienna"]Not the way[I] I[/I] use it!:catgirl:
[SIZE="1"]I use it for video games and occasionaly for school assignments, what, you thought I was doing something strange?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ah, thanks for bumping this. Reminded me of this funny story from the other day.

So I totally botched a Kata right in the middle of class the other day. In front of everyone. Like, I switched to a different Kata and back halfway through.

My Sensei didn't notice.

This bodes well for my next black belt exam.[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Blue"]I used to karate a few years back.
Those were good times. I managed to make it to a sixth degree blue belt. Then one day, I had a sharp pain in my back. I got it checked out and it was scoliosis. So I had to wear this big bulky back brace for a time. Because of that, I had to quit.
I would like to re-take martial arts some time soon. I'm thinking about taking Akido.[/COLOR]